NBA Thread

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Eric Gordon got another $76 Million last night. No clue on career earnings but he has to be IU's all time earner so far, right? I'm sure Victor will surpass at some point....if he hasn't already. Kudos to Gordon. 

I am guessing Mark Cuban?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Eric Gordon got another $76 Million last night. No clue on career earnings but he has to be IU's all time earner so far, right? I'm sure Victor will surpass at some point....if he hasn't already. Kudos to Gordon. 

If memory serves, I believe the numbers are $178M guaranteed $199M non-guaranteed according to Rabby

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 6:25 AM, Seeking6 said:

That's easy money.  He gets to stand on the 3 point line and be a spectator while those other 2 guys take all the shots. Maybe he will get to be the guy that has the WTH look in his eyes when Russ goes 1-10 in the 4th Q.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

That's easy money.  He gets to stand on the 3 point line and be a spectator while those other 2 guys take all the shots. Maybe he will get to be the guy that has the WTH look in his eyes when Russ goes 1-10 in the 4th Q.

I think he is at his best when he actually attacks the rim. Don’t get me wrong he will get a ton of looks playing alongside Russ and Harden but I find when he is aggressive it usually gets him going.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think he is at his best when he actually attacks the rim. Don’t get me wrong he will get a ton of looks playing alongside Russ and Harden but I find when he is aggressive it usually gets him going.

I think ATX’s post was tongue in cheek, mocking Westbrook for his ball dominant / ball hogging play, lol. 

But yeah, EJ has been attacking the basket like his early days, he’s really explosive to the rim, like get out of my way explosive 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

What makes it worse is that they’re so poor it’s not like they have resources to build new things quickly.

Yes sad it will be those billionaires rebuilding the resorts and people going there and relaxing while the poor rest of the country is struggling to survive. That said those resorts do employ people so they can afford a better life but it would be nice to see people instead going to help them rebuild.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Some notes from a podcast with Indy Star writer J Michael(Covers the pacers):

• The front office were presented a deal from Memphis for Aaron Holiday and a 1st rd pick for Mike Conley, Herb Simon and front office denied the trade
  • Front office had a deal in place for Otto Porter Jr, Herb Simon denied the trade
  • Memphis wanted Myles Turner in return for their 4th pick in the 1st rd, we countered with Sabonis and Memphis said no
  • Offered Sabonis for the 10th pick but was rejected.

So the front office likes Holiday but viewed Conley as a better win now chance.  Glad this was denied.  If we would have acquired Porter(due $100 mil YIKES) I would have thrown up!  Glad we didn't give up Turner for the #4 pick.  To me the Pacers view Turner as more valuable, especially given they never offered Turner for the 10th pick whereas they did for Saboins. 

So basically we got Brogdon(5 years younger and $10 mil cheaper than Conley) and Warren(just as effective as Otto Porter at much less money if not a touch better).  By acquiring Brogdon, this pushed Lambs interest in Indy(said he wanted to play with someone like Brogdon).   

Chad Buchannan was on with JMV yesterday and the major take away I took was they are viewing this upcoming season as three smaller seasons and putting an emphasis that when Victor returns, Sabonis and Myles will work as a pair even better than what it will to start the season.

1. First stretch with current team without Victor and seeing how the pairing of Myles and Sabonis does
  2. Acclimating Victor back into the rotation with the team 
  3. Victor is at/near full strength for the stretch run to end the year. 
Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 2

Malcolm Brogdon for President, his interview was spot on yesterday. Brogdon is all in with making this team better, regardless of what it takes.  Loves the organization, says team has worked very hard during offseason.  Says Leaf is dominating in pick up games.  When Victor returns, he takes back over his alpha dog role.  TJ McConnell says Aaron Holiday has been a great leader this offseason. 

This team can be very special and it can start as early as this upcoming season

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It's all about money and tax hits for the Simons.

...and that's at least somewhat understandable with Indy being a smaller market than say, New York or LA. As of this (admittedly old) 2012 article, the Pacers were running about a $10 million dollar annual loss and were the second least profitable franchise in the NBA.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/01/25/the-most-and-least-profitable-nba-teams/#48d316902773

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...and that's at least somewhat understandable with Indy being a smaller market than say, New York or LA. As of this (admittedly old) 2012 article, the Pacers were running about a $10 million dollar annual loss and were the second least profitable franchise in the NBA.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/01/25/the-most-and-least-profitable-nba-teams/#48d316902773

Definitely wouldn’t throw out New York as a model — for anything. 

However that is a 7 year old article and the rub on the P’s has always been the inability to take the step up to compete for a championship, which requires stars and thar’s plural of course. Dallas (Dirk) and Detroit (Billups) are the outliers. P’s came close with the Reggie-Rose et al team. They were a contender with the team that brought in Jermaine and Artest to go with an aging Regg, until the brawl, but still outliers. 

I really like the nucleus of this team with Vic, though his health and durability are in question, love the pick up of B, but they won’t get rings without getting more stars and man you have to spend to get there. Bucks are the current outlier, because of the beast they got in Greek Freak, but just look at what Toronto did in one season. They invested in Kawhi. Even GS invested in Durant. And so on and so on.

The Simons are cautious, there was a time when there was talk Indy could lose the P’s. I get that. But you generally don’t win without going in deep.

3 hours ago, cybergates said:

Roy Hibbert GIF

Let's be honest..he wasn't the most graceful big man in the game. He couldn't make an offensive move without tripping over his big feet. I appreciated his work ethic and improvement and contribution to the Pacers but Embiid surpassed anything ol Roy could teach him after his first year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Let's be honest..he wasn't the most graceful big man in the game. He couldn't make an offensive move without tripping over his big feet. I appreciated his work ethic and improvement and contribution to the Pacers but Embiid surpassed anything ol Roy could teach him after his first year.

Agreed. He was a strange guy. Saw him coming out of a beauty salon on Mass. Ave (downtown Indy) carrying a small dog like a housewife once.

• Haha 1