NBA Thread

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Apparently Edward's has no problems moving forward.  Hit 8 3 pointers in a 5 minute stretch. 

It’s so weird, I’m predisposed to want to root against Edwards, but now he plays for my favorite team, and taking the IU/Purdue thing out of it he really is a likeable guy. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It’s so weird, I’m predisposed to want to root against Edwards, but now he plays for my favorite team, and taking the IU/Purdue thing out of it he really is a likeable guy. 

I agree completely.  I'm not a Celtics fan grew up Lakers fan so I hated the Celtics.  Love Bird really like Steven's and now with Romeo I follow Boston and just cant help but like Carsen.  Makes it impossible for me to go troll the GBI board that's for sure

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree completely.  I'm not a Celtics fan grew up Lakers fan so I hated the Celtics.  Love Bird really like Steven's and now with Romeo I follow Boston and just cant help but like Carsen.  Makes it impossible for me to go troll the GBI board that's for sure

I was a Lakers fan as well and hated Bird when he played for the Celtics.  I was a Magic fan and was actually rooting for MSU and ISU in the finals.  He was the only player in my lifetime that I rooted for an individual and became a fan of that team.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was a Lakers fan as well and hated Bird when he played for the Celtics.  I was a Magic fan and was actually rooting for MSU and ISU in the finals.  He was the only player in my lifetime that I rooted for an individual and became a fan of that team.

Very similar.  Magic was my all time favorite athlete.  I shed some tears when he announced he was HIV positive.  Starter to like Bird when the McDonald's commercials came out

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Very similar.  Magic was my all time favorite athlete.  I shed some tears when he announced he was HIV positive.  Starter to like Bird when the McDonald's commercials came out

Growing up I hated the Celtics especially McHale and Ainge because they seemed like such whiners.  Even though I thought McHale had some of the best post moves ever, I just could not stand him.

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

With the latest setback, would not be surprised at all if Romeo does not start the season not on the active roster.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jayson-tatum-romeo-langford-preseason-181246265.html

It's too bad he's getting injured early, but it happens. Wouldn't read much into pre-season stuff, in any event. Romeo is their lottery pick, he'll get back and will have plenty of opportunity. 

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yogi with an easy 24 points and 6 assists last night. Really hope Sacramento gives him more minutes this year. Not sure what else he needs to do to get more.

Not sure he will ever be a full time starter but i suspect as long as Yogi is healthy he will have a long career in 1 and 2 year contracts for a few million a year. He can run a second unit and he can score. I’ve seem many many worse pgs in the league that have made it 10 yrs...I have no doubt Yogi will too. That said we all would love to see his usage go up. He performs well when given the chance. At least in Sacramento he isn’t buried behind guys. He will get some run because like I said Joseph will get some run at the 2 as much as being the back up point.

• Like 2

How about this for a nutty prediction:

Indiana misses the playoffs

If (at least) Miami is going in, someone has to go out. The safe choice -- the "right" one, according to most projection systems -- is Detroit, and the Pistons are indeed at grave risk if Griffin misses 15 or 20 games.

But this column isn't about safe choices, so let's get nutty and peg the Pacers -- the third-best team in the East for much of last season -- as vulnerable. Indiana doesn't have a reliable shot-creation engine without Victor Oladipo, and it's unclear when Oladipo might return -- or if he can rediscover his peak form this season. If the answers trend in bad directions, the Pacers could be in trouble.

Malcolm Brogdon is a perfect complement to Oladipo. Without Oladipo, he is overtaxed. The Pacers aren't counting on Brogdon becoming Kemba Walker. They will ask everyone to do a little more: Jeremy Lamb and T.J. Warren off the bounce; Sabonis hitting cutters and beasting in the post; Turner getting more forceful against mismatches; Aaron Holiday rampaging to the basket.

They might have enough, but I'm nervous. They lost a lot when Thaddeus Young and Bojan Bogdanovic walked. They have raw talent to replace those guys, but it's unclear how it fits together.

Warren has played zero meaningful NBA games, and very little defense. The Sabonis/Turner partnership will have awkward moments on both ends, and could diminish each of them by maybe 10%. Can Sabonis really defend power forwards? If he can't on some nights -- leaving the job to Turner -- how much rim protection does Indiana lose?

Indiana has the talent and coaching to paper over all of this. That's why almost every projection system has them in the postseason. I'm just a little more worried about Oladipo's absence.

Maybe this isn't as off-the-wall as it sounds. The new system at 538 has Indiana finishing 42-40, with a 78% chance of reaching the playoffs.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27820197/wild-nba-predictions-giannis-big-decision-trades-watch-for

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

t looks like the Pacers are having trouble get an extension sign with Sabonis and have engaged in trade talks for him.  I would hate to see him go and they would have to get a lot for him fo rme to be happy with a trade.  They would need to get a young PF who is athletic and can rebound.

If an extension isn't likely you have to go down this path. Probably not the path anyone wants to go but necessary. I would think Sabonis could be worth a top 10 pick next year along with another player. Of course I'm not dialed in to NBA trade values as others. I'd love to have Sabonis work here in Indy because he's really good but if Pritchard thinks there isn't chance of a deal he'll need to get the most talent he can in return. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick update from Twitter. Not the best comments coming from Sabonis. I'm paraphrasing but basically he just said I now know how the Pacers really feel about me and I let them know what I thought of that. His agent will handle the rest.

Not good.

I think he is asking for more money than Turner makes and the Pacers probably are not willing to give him that much.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick update from Twitter. Not the best comments coming from Sabonis. I'm paraphrasing but basically he just said I now know how the Pacers really feel about me and I let them know what I thought of that. His agent will handle the rest.

Not good.

Looking more and more like a trade coming.

• Like 1