NBA Thread

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

Looking more and more like a trade coming.

He is under contract this year and next he is a RFA...no rush on that. Heck the Pacers may pay him still. It’s a bit soon to be worrying too much about his contact.

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not the best look for Sabonis, just not professional 

Why? He said he would let his agent (his job) deal with his contract. Meaning he isn’t going to get wrapped up in it during the season and continue talking about it in the media. That is professional. Also...he definitely deserves a new contact...he has played well...how big is the question.

Edited by dgambill

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

One thing about Sabonis.  Good player but he's in the ideal situation for him.  His style of player may not be optimized everywhere.

You see it all the time, players underestimate the good situation they were in, go elsewhere, and fall off.

Agreed Indiana has made Vic and he both look pretty good by putting them in successful positions. Sabonis has ate up second units as he is a mismatch for opposing 5s mostly. As a starting 4 it will remain to be seen. I think he is upset because in the draft we tried to move into the late top 10 offering him and teams said no they wanted Myles. We paid Myles and not him. I don’t think he will net us a lottery pick. I also don’t think Pacers will trade for a pick. They expect to win and will want a player to help right away. I’d expect another young player on an affordable contract with a couple years left.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

One thing about Sabonis.  Good player but he's in the ideal situation for him.  His style of player may not be optimized everywhere.

You see it all the time, players underestimate the good situation they were in, go elsewhere, and fall off.

All day long which is why it puzzles me that players or their agents can't see that. We see it. The whole world sees it yet the player can't. Never will understand that one.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Accepting a role does not come easy for some, understandable, they’re the best in the world, that’s why they’re in the NBA, they’re exceptionally competitive. And with Sabonis he’s still young.

Growing into understanding fit and roll, and the “business” side of the NBA, takes more time for some. Sabonis really is in a great situation, but he’s looking past it. 

• Thanks 1

Other players in the same situation as Sabonis are Buddy Hield and Jaylen Brown.   If I were the Pacers, I'd try to move Sabonis to the Celtics for Brown.  I've always liked Leaf's skill set on the offensive side.    I know his defense will never be much but if the Pacers have 4 defenders such as Brogdon, VO, Brown and Turner starting, is defense an issue if he were the PF.  Warren and Lamb could be a dynamic scoring duo off the bench.

Edited by ATX_sig

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

So what's the strategy with signing, then immediately waiving a player?

Most of those are 10 day contracts where they bring a guy up from their g league team to fill out roster for practice etc with injuries but when guy comes back they have to get below the 15 man roster or something like that. If you have a specific example I can look into it but typically that’s the scenario.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Most of those are 10 day contracts where they bring a guy up from their g league team to fill out roster for practice etc with injuries but when guy comes back they have to get below the 15 man roster or something like that. If you have a specific example I can look into it but typically that’s the scenario.

That's good enough for my purposes.  The tweet made it sound like they were signed and waived the same day which I found odd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Interpretation of the headline: Troy Williams was one of the players that was either signed or waived on Saturday

I'm guessing you're right.  Pretty poorly worded, though...

"Troy Williams was among multiple players who were signed and waived Saturday."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hope he lands with another team soon, he has proven he belongs in the League. If he doesn’t though he should be able to make a good living playing over seas 

This is one of those players I'd love to see the Pacers take a flyer on.  If a player plays for a team where he is loved, I think they respond to that, although I have nothing beyond Vic's breakout story to back that up.  He'd be a low-risk pickup...going to probably make the minimum at least initially and I agree that he can play.

Yogi would be another candidate.  Bring in some inexpensive Hoosiers to a team where IU alumni make up a huge part of the fanbase and I see it as a win-win.  The fans love them and (hopefully) the players respond to that love and play just a bit harder and with more confidence.  It's an experiment that seems low-risk to me, I mean...we're not talking drafting Steve Alford in the first round here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

This is one of those players I'd love to see the Pacers take a flyer on.  If a player plays for a team where he is loved, I think they respond to that, although I have nothing beyond Vic's breakout story to back that up.  He'd be a low-risk pickup...going to probably make the minimum at least initially and I agree that he can play.

Yogi would be another candidate.  Bring in some inexpensive Hoosiers to a team where IU alumni make up a huge part of the fanbase and I see it as a win-win.  The fans love them and (hopefully) the players respond to that love and play just a bit harder and with more confidence.  It's an experiment that seems low-risk to me, I mean...we're not talking drafting Steve Alford in the first round here.

Looking at the Pacers roster I don't see a need for Troy.  These will be the guys playing the 2 or 3 once VO gets back that I can think of off the top of my head.

VO

Lamb

Warren

J. Holiday

McDermott

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Looking at the Pacers roster I don't see a need for Troy.  These will be the guys playing the 2 or 3 once VO gets back that I can think of off the top of my head.

VO

Lamb

Warren

J. Holiday

McDermott

Agree the P's are kind of full right now, but for what it's worth, I would take Troy over McDermott any and every day. 

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I think the Kings would be opposed to the Pacers doing that. 

Maybe. He didn't get as much opportunity last season with the Kings than he did with Dallas. Hopefully he grows into more opportunity and responsibility there, or, if not, then maybe the P's will come calling. The idea of re-uniting Vic and Yogi is a fun one.