NBA Thread

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not particularly good news for Romeo, is it?

On a related note, Romeo officially out for the Celtics opener.

Actually I think it won't effect him that much. At least not until his 4th year cap hold etc comes up. He is only making 3-3.5 million a year. Boston will need the cheap rookie contract to keep the cap space low. He could get packaged in a deal of Hayward possibly as an asset for a team to take Gordon's contract but as far as just out right trading Romeo...he will get likely get a couple years. They are going to have to extend Tatum soon as well so they are going to remain strapped.

I did see an interesting trade scenario involving Steven Adams of OKC and Hayward....since both have pretty bad contracts but Boston likely needs a big more than the glut of wings that they have. I could see Boston adding in someone like Romeo to get OKC to go for it since Adams to me is a better/more productive player imo.

Edited by dgambill

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Not particularly good news for Romeo, is it?

On a related note, Romeo officially out for the Celtics opener.

Granted his career is in its absolute infancy, but not a great start with injuries already derailing him for summer league, training camp, the preseason and now the start of the regular season. 

Going to be interesting to see if he gets much time with Tatum, Brown and Hayward ahead of him and Smart getting minutes on the wing as well. Javonte Green made the roster too and he looked really good in the preseason. 

Romeo has a great game for the nba. The better he becomes as a shooter he will easily be an all star caliber player if he can stay healthy. He can get to the basket and his spots on the floor and with the floor opened up with shooters in the nba I like his ability to take his man. I do worry he has had a history of nagging injuries, wrist, back, thumb and now groin...just hope he gets healthy soon so he can establish a role in that rotation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Saw a list of schools with the most players on a opening day roster and IU is 10th with 8 players.

Fantastic and amazing all things considered.  If CTC could have put it all together and had a couple of breaks here or there.  Geez, Creek, then Hulls shoulder, Vonleh's heart.  That's just a start, the list goes on.  

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

OG had a pretty nice overall game last night.

5-12 for 11 with 7 boards, 2 blocks, +12 on the night (best on the team) in 36 minutes, 1 TO.

He is a beast. If he stays healthy, he's going to be really good. 

I’d put Toronto in the underrated category.  Yes, they lost Leonard but Siakam can be a good alpha player for them.  

Philly is getting lots of love in the East.  They will be a factor but I’d have to question their ability to space the floor and shoot in today’s game.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

After 1st night of games how many of you had the top scores list of

1. Siakim 34

1. Van Vleet 34

2. Leonard  30

3. Danny Green 28

Van Fleet really started to step up in the playoffs and sure started off the season with a bang. I wouldn't expect that kind of scoring from him going forward, though, he's the only one that surprises me here.

Green was exceptional last year from outside and with LBJ and Unibrow he's going to get all kinds of open looks, the guy is a great outside shooter.

Siakim has about 130 Million as incentive. :) To think he started bball late. It's going to be really interesting to see if he is able to continue near that kind of game. it wasn't just his scoring, look at his rebound numbers. Dude killed it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’d put Toronto in the underrated category.  Yes, they lost Leonard but Siakam can be a good alpha player for them.  

Philly is getting lots of love in the East.  They will be a factor but I’d have to question their ability to space the floor and shoot in today’s game.  

I think they're right there in the top 3-5, but I don't think they can legitimately challenge for the Finals. Philly is hard to nail down right now, a lot of questions, but also a lot of talent. They lack outside shooting (they may address that before the trade deadline) but man they're big and talented. 

I'm extremely interested to see how the P's look. There are a lot of legitimate questions about this team, it's a different team in a number of respects. It's got good talent, and if/when Vic comes back healthy, it's going to be a very hard out, imo, but still a lot to watch to see how this group works together.

• Like 2

I don't think Philly can go the distance. First off I have zero faith in their shooting. Zero faith in Embids ability to stay healthy and zero faith in their coach and finally I think Horford is going to drastically start to slow down this year. I love the guy's leadership and intangibles but his best days are well behind him. I think Milwaulkie will still class the conference and I look for Miami to make a move for Chris Paul at some point. Depending on what they have after that I look for them to be a dark horse. I do like a lot of their pieces but not sold on the pg situation. I also really do like what the Pacers did this offseason. They will battle!

Ugh, just got done watching the Celtics-Sixers game. The Celtics were just awful. Good news, Hayward looked good. Had some of his explosiveness back which was really good to see. Bad news (at least for me) everyone else was absolutely terrible. Tatum, Brown and Kemba were just horrible. I'll give Walker a pass, he really wasn't bad he just couldn't make a shot. Worrisome for the Celtics though is that Brown and Tatum were just bad. 

Tatum looked like an absolutely stud against LeBron in the ECF as a rookie, then was really up and down last year, and of course it's just one game, but for at least tonight he looked much like last year with just more shots. 

But with all the bad, in a game where the Celtics shot 20-for-30 from the foul line and 7-for-26 from 3, it was a close game until about midway through the 4th. You just can't hang with a good team when you shoot that bad, especially on the road.

At least it's the NBA, just 1 of 82.

On the Sixers, there going to win a lot of regular season games just by sheer talent of their two best players and that they play a very unique style in the current NBA, but I don't trust them for a second in the playoffs as currently constituted. They don't have a single guard on the roster, and no Ben Simmons is not a guard. The have very little perimeter shooting. Their length on defense is absolutely impressive and intimidating and gave the Celtics fits, but their roster just doesn't fit for winning a title or making the Finals. If they make the Finals it will be because the East is just bad, not because the Sixers are that good. 

• Like 2