NBA Thread

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Seemed like a salary shredding move. Maybe someone else who follows more closely can offer what's up. Since Yogi routinely sits on pine or gets 3-5 minutes per game I don't a thing I understand or like about Kings.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/01/18/report-in-money-saving-trade-trail-blazers-swap-kent-bazemore-for-kings-trevor-ariza/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Dougie McBuckets with 18 of his 24 in the 4th. Sabonis with 1st triple double.  No big stars but lots of weapons 

Thrilled to see this.  Been waiting for a year and a half.  I always thought he was capable of getting hot and staying hot.  And honestly, he's become an honest defender as well.  

Last night's team line was incredible.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Seemed like a salary shredding move. Maybe someone else who follows more closely can offer what's up. Since Yogi routinely sits on pine or gets 3-5 minutes per game I don't a thing I understand or like about Kings.

Yogi needs to find a new team. The Kings front office/management is a joke. I keep thinking they're starting to turn the corner and then they revert to sheer stupidity. They've lost their last 4 in a row and I think have won about 3 in their last 10.

Playing time got screwed up with Fox returning, and then it looked like they played Ariza a lot in the interest of trading him. Yogi generally has played well in the limited minutes he gets, but it hasn't mattered.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Both Tolliver (age 34) and Swanigan (limited interior big) appear in danger of washing out of the league.

Wasn't Swanigan a 5-star recruit for "Big-Man U"...?

Yep. I'll hold off judgement until later but Swanigan and his "fabricated BS" comment better start learning a 2nd language. Start getting dumped this early and often in a career and it's bye bye time. 

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yogi needs to find a new team. The Kings front office/management is a joke. I keep thinking they're starting to turn the corner and then they revert to sheer stupidity. They've lost their last 4 in a row and I think have won about 3 in their last 10.

Playing time got screwed up with Fox returning, and then it looked like they played Ariza a lot in the interest of trading him. Yogi generally has played well in the limited minutes he gets, but it hasn't mattered.

What team do you suggest HH?

On 1/20/2020 at 5:30 PM, rico said:

What team do you suggest HH?

I’d think he could play and help Memphis at the back up point and certainly Minnesota. Until John Wall comes back he could look good playing with Bryant in Washington as they could use pg help. That said if I had my choice I’d love to see him in New Orleans playing behind Lonzo....really help that team push the ball and watching him play with Zion would be fun. He might only get 10-12 mins a night but it would be for maybe a playoff team and a young and up and coming team.

On 1/20/2020 at 8:50 AM, Seeking6 said:

They are a mess. Basically it was for the two second rd picks and salary savings for Portland. Bazemore is a two...and King’s already have two good shooting guards with Hield and Bogdonovic already...smh.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Zion is legit........all due respect, but watching highlights from his first NBA game looked like he was playing in an All-Star game....San Antonio's 3 pt defense on him was putrid...

I said it before the draft and I am sticking to it  that I think Morant will be the much better of the 2. I also said Zion would be a flop, not so.sure he might be great if he stays healthy.  He is easy to root for also. I just hate all the ESPN hype though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I said it before the draft and I am sticking to it  that I think Morant will be the much better of the 2. I also said Zion would be a flop, not so.sure he might be great if he stays healthy.  He is easy to root for also. I just hate all the ESPN hype though.

I am wondering how much pub that Victor will get when he makes his season debut next Wednesday.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am wondering how much pub that Victor will get when he makes his season debut next Wednesday.

Unfortunately just like the Pacers this year I think it will be just a blip on the radar. At some point people have to realize how good they are and what a great job Nate and staff and front office are doing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Unfortunately just like the Pacers this year I think it will be just a blip on the radar. At some point people have to realize how good they are and what a great job Nate and staff and front office are doing

that small market thing kills us....that not going to change unless Vic becomes a Monster!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

He won't be a flop, he's really good. I don't think he's going to be great, however. Hard to say since he came out of the gates injured, but he shoots flat-footed, his jumper is a real hole in his game. He's not a Durant coming out of college, but he does look like a player who can be an all-star level impact player.

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He won't be a flop, he's really good. I don't think he's going to be great, however. Hard to say since he came out of the gates injured, but he shoots flat-footed, his jumper is a real hole in his game. He's not a Durant coming out of college, but he does look like a player who can be an all-star level impact player.

Idk. I am really mixed on what I expect from him. Would not be shocked with any outcome what do know is he is NOT the next LBJ 

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

"Big Baby" comes to mind....but  better.....JMHO

Charles Barkley comes to mind. I think most of us on here remember when he first hit the league in Philly and how athletic he was. Later on Charles really developed that jumper....monster on boards, running break, and scoring....he is Charles...but in Karl Malone's body!! It just needs to hold up.

Edited by dgambill

10 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Zion is legit........all due respect, but watching highlights from his first NBA game looked like he was playing in an All-Star game....San Antonio's 3 pt defense on him was putrid...

Watching those highlights from last night, my first thought was that Adam Silver made a call to Popovich before the fourth quarter and told him to stop playing defense on Zion... Sometimes NBA games like that are just too convenient, haha.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Idk. I am really mixed on what I expect from him. Would not be shocked with any outcome what do know is he is NOT the next LBJ 

I see him as Shawn Marion or Vince Carter.  He'll rely upon his athleticism early in his career, and his athleticism is off the charts.  He'll develop some or all of the fundamentals he's missing at the moment as his career goes on.  But....I see him working better as a #2 vs THE go to guy on a team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I see him as Shawn Marion or Vince Carter.  He'll rely upon his athleticism early in his career, and his athleticism is off the charts.  He'll develop some or all of the fundamentals he's missing at the moment as his career goes on.  But....I see him working better as a #2 vs THE go to guy on a team. 

Saw another great comparison I hadn't thought of before...Larry Johnson....early in his career that guy was a freak of nature...once he hurt his back...never the same. IMO unless something changes with his weight etc...I see Zion like I see Lamar Jackson. A bright comet tracing across the sky...brilliant for a short time...but destined to burn out or pass. I don't see them as long term stars in the sky. Their games just don't lend themselves to longevity...so enjoy and use them up while they shine bright...they have a short window.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Saw another great comparison I hadn't thought of before...Larry Johnson....early in his career that guy was a freak of nature...once he hurt his back...never the same. IMO unless something changes with his weight etc...I see Zion like I see Lamar Jackson. A bright comet tracing across the sky...brilliant for a short time...but destined to burn out or pass. I don't see them as long term stars in the sky. Their games just don't lend themselves to longevity...so enjoy and use them up while they shine bright...they have a short window.

That's actually why I picked Carter and Marion.  Carter's near the top in terms of longevity and Marion is pretty high on that list.  They both developed from purely athletic-based games into very well rounded players.  I think Zion can do the same.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's actually why I picked Carter and Marion.  Carter's near the top in terms of longevity and Marion is pretty high on that list.  They both developed from purely athletic-based games into very well rounded players.  I think Zion can do the same.

But neither had the body of Zion. Carter has a temple of a body lol. Marion was long and wirey. Zion's body and the torque he puts on it...screams Barkley/LJ. One slimmed down some and lasted but still had back and knee problems later in his career...the other burned bright but flamed out once injuries crept in. Zion will have to change some...and not just his game/style...he is going to have to lose weight.