NBA Thread

One of the interesting things developing in this season's NBA is Lillard's ridiculous explosion over the past 10 games or so, leading Portland back towards a probable playoff spot.

The guy is playing out of his mind. He's scoring at an historically ridiculous pace. And if the Lakers finish fist and Portland is 8th, with Nurcic back and Lillard just destroying people, that first round series could be something. 

And then there's the trade deadline coming up. If the Lakers add K Love, well, ugh. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

One of the interesting things developing in this season's NBA is Lillard's ridiculous explosion over the past 10 games or so, leading Portland back towards a probable playoff spot.

The guy is playing out of his mind. He's scoring at an historically ridiculous pace. And if the Lakers finish fist and Portland is 8th, with Nurcic back and Lillard just destroying people, that first round series could be something. 

And then there's the trade deadline coming up. If the Lakers add K Love, well, ugh. 

How would they add Love though?  Not sure any amout of trade wizardry could pull that off.  

I just tried the NBA trade machine, don't see how it's possible.  Lakers just don't have assests to trade.  

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

How would they add Love though?  Not sure any amout of trade wizardry could pull that off.  

I just tried the NBA trade machine, don't see how it's possible.  Lakers just don't have assests to trade.  

I don't know either. But Love and the Cavs might work with them and Love is angling to make the move. Also could be someone else of course, just think Love would make the Lakers a lot better. 

Meanwhile the Rockets are back to doing weird and, imo, stupid things. Now they're putting Capela on the trade block. He's one of their most effective players on both ends. Maybe they can add another 3-point shooter, lol. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't know either. But Love and the Cavs might work with them and Love is angling to make the move. Also could be someone else of course, just think Love would make the Lakers a lot better. 

Meanwhile the Rockets are back to doing weird and, imo, stupid things. Now they're putting Capela on the trade block. He's one of their most effective players on both ends. Maybe they can add another 3-point shooter, lol. 

I actually have no problem with the Rockets never winning a championship since Daryl Morey thinks he invited GMing.  

43 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

To me, Lillard is one of the more fascinating guys in the Association.  Just shows what a guy from Weber St. can do.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I actually have no problem with the Rockets never winning a championship since Daryl Morey thinks he invited GMing.  

Haha, Morey used to be one of my bosses. He used to play pickup bball with us over lunch. He's a good guy, but a terrible bball player. Really bad. 

His title was something like SVP of Technology. I'll never forget receiving the internal email from our head of HR that he'd been hired as GM of the Rockets. Again, incredibly smart, nice guy, but this was just at the early stages of analytics in bball, so when we got the email all the staff was like, "GM? huh?!?!". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man right now Victor is killing the Pacers team chemistry with another loss at home to the Mavericks.  VO has to realize that he is no longer the best player on that team because Brogdon and Sabonis are their best players.  Also don't know why McMillian is having him play down the stretch when it is obvious that VO is not ready to contribute.  The team is a lot less fun to watch for me since VO came back because you can tell guys are not comfortable in their roles.

Edited by IU Scott

McMillan on the post-game presser saying Vic has to play and shoot like normal to play himself back into rhythm and that many of his shots were good looks. What I see is he took 17 shots in 23 minutes and went 1 for 10 on 3s. Effectively took as many shots a Brogdon and Sabonis, who played 8 and 13 more minutes respectively. How many shot attempts is going to put up when he's getting starter's minutes? 

Just now, D-BONE said:

McMillan on the post-game presser saying Vic has to play and shoot like normal to play himself back into rhythm and that many of his shots were good looks. What I see is he took 17 shots in 23 minutes and went 1 for 10 on 3s. Effectively took as many shots a Brogdon and Sabonis, who played 8 and 13 more minutes respectively. How many shot attempts is going to put up when he's getting starter's minutes? 

They should not be putting the ball in VO hands but let Brogdon handle it.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They should not be putting the ball in VO hands but let Brogdon handle it.

They're going to have to figure that out. Personally, I want Brogdon handling it more the Dipo, but you aren't going to completely take the ball away from him. But I think it's also fair to say that Brogdon has looked pretty shoddy lately as well. And I don't think you can solely blame that on Vic's return. His on ball defense is getting exposed with more and more regularity. It was on full display down the stretch tonight. 

Just now, D-BONE said:

They're going to have to figure that out. Personally, I want Brogdon handling it more the Dipo, but you aren't going to completely take the ball away from him. But I think it's also fair to say that Brogdon has looked pretty shoddy lately as well. And I don't think you can solely blame that on Vic's return. His on ball defense is getting exposed with more and more regularity. It was on full display down the stretch tonight. 

I have no idea why they were trying to switch every ball screen because they were losing there guy every time.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have no idea why they were trying to switch every ball screen because they were losing there guy every time.

Yes. They were really struggling defensively. And, yet again, they lost the boards by double digits, giving up multiple offensive rebounds that the Mavs converted. I think, if they hope to build a contending team over the next three years or so, they'll probably have to add an athletic, rebounding presence. Either to replace/displace Turner from the starting group or to be the 1st guy off the bench at 4/5.

A few things:

1) The Pacers are absolutely right to let Vic get his rhythm back. If he can get it figured out, they have two of the most clutch, versatile guards in the NBA. That is much more important than a few February losses.

2) Damian Lilliard is an absolute stud, and had he not played in the same era as Steph Curry he would be getting a lot more historical love. I'm not sure how much Steph's changing of the game has enabled Lillard (that's perhaps an offseason debate), but Lilliard is remarkable. 

3) PG is inferior to Vic and Sabonis, much like Mercedes is inferior to their German rivals. CC: @Hoosierhoopster :)

EDIT: Grammar is hard with bourbon and primaries 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

A few things:

1) The Pacers are absolutely right to let Vic get his rhythm back. If he can get it figured out, they have two of the most clutch, versatile guards in the NBA. That is much more important than a few February losses.

2) Damian Lilliard is an absolute stud, and had he not played in the same era as Steph Curry he would be getting a lot more historical love. I'm not sure how much Steph's changing of the game has enabled Lillard (that's perhaps an offseason debate), but Lilliard is remarkable. 

3) PG is inferior to Vic and Sabonis, much like Mercedes is inferior to their German rivals. CC: @Hoosierhoopster :)

EDIT: Grammar is hard with bourbon and primaries 

Lol -- 

Name the time and place for our drag race.... :)

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Man right now Victor is killing the Pacers team chemistry with another loss at home to the Mavericks.  VO has to realize that he is no longer the best player on that team because Brogdon and Sabonis are their best players.  Also don't know why McMillian is having him play down the stretch when it is obvious that VO is not ready to contribute.  The team is a lot less fun to watch for me since VO came back because you can tell guys are not comfortable in their roles.

No he isn't. He's getting used to them and vice versa again. If he's having these issues on April 1st we can talk about Victor and team chemistry breaking ways. Come on guys?? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

No he isn't. He's getting used to them and vice versa again. If he's having these issues on April 1st we can talk about Victor and team chemistry breaking ways. Come on guys?? 

Vic is without any legitimate question hands down and by FAR the best player on the Pacers, but of course it's going to take time for him and the rest to build on-floor chemistry and timing, along with Vic getting his game legs back. As you point out, it's early February. This is absolutely what the P's should be doing, get their best player, best defender and best scorer all in one (lol) back into the flow and build the team for the playoffs. What, should Vic be sitting?? Good grief.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Vic is without any legitimate question hands down and by FAR the best player on the Pacers, but of course it's going to take time for him and the rest to build on-floor chemistry and timing, along with Vic getting his game legs back. As you point out, it's early February. This is absolutely what the P's should be doing, get their best player, best defender and best scorer all in one (lol) back into the flow and build the team for the playoffs. What, should Vic be sitting?? Good grief.

All day long. I would expect Nate to start gradually lifting his minutes soon too. I thought people were kidding on local radio asking similar questions. Scary world out there sometimes. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No but he should not be shooting 17 times in 23 minutes.  What made the Pacers so good this year is that they played unselfishness and moved the ball.  The ball is sticking when VO gets the ball and it is hurting their scoring.

Pacers should absolutely let Dipo work back into the rhythm. I'm sure he's excited and it's hard to dial it back. And I'm  thrilled he's back and totally support him working his way back into things. I accept there will be challenges reworking roles, etc. I just question whether it takes playing like a chucker to do it. But I expect it will work itself out along with everything else. 

• Like 1