NBA Thread

2 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Where do you slot PG at on this list?  Guard or Forward?  I am a huge PG fan, however, it would be hard for even myself to slot him in above any of the guys listed above.  Now if we are talking about a 2000's to present Indiana Pacers team, I'd say he'd slot in for a spot

I heard Slick this morning on an interview say that the 73 Pacers had 4 future hall of famers on it. IMO it would be hard to put PG on the list of 5.

4 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Where do you slot PG at on this list?  Guard or Forward?  I am a huge PG fan, however, it would be hard for even myself to slot him in above any of the guys listed above.  Now if we are talking about a 2000's to present Indiana Pacers team, I'd say he'd slot in for a spot

Roger Brown is a HOF'er, but that's the guy you might slot PG ahead of. 

Brown's ABA career - 

PPG 17.4 (eFG% .488)

FG 46.9

3-pt FG% .32

FG per game: 6.4

assists 3.8

FT 79.1

Steals .7

Rebounds 6.2

PER 17.2

starting with his 5th season, he never averaged more than 18.5 ppg, and the drop off was considerable, 12.6, 11.8 etc.. 4.6 by 1975.

Paul George so far

PPG 19.9 (eFG% 53)

FG 43.3

3-pt FG% 38

FG per game: 6.7

assists 3.3

FT 84.6

steals 1.7

Rebounds 6.4

PER 19.2  (20.5 2019-20)

PG is having a better career. A better shooter/scorer, and better defensively, a true two-way player. He's been a league defensive MVP, a runner up defensive MVP, and in the final 3 for League MVP. 

That said his career is incomplete. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Roger Brown is a HOF'er, but that's the guy you might slot PG ahead of. 

Brown's ABA career - 

PPG 17.4 (eFG% .488)

FG 46.9

3-pt FG% .32

FG per game: 6.4

assists 3.8

FT 79.1

Steals .7

Rebounds 6.2

PER 17.2

starting with his 5th season, he never averaged more than 18.5 ppg, and the drop off was considerable, 12.6, 11.8 etc.. 4.6 by 1975.

Paul George so far

PPG 19.9 (eFG% 53)

FG 43.3

3-pt FG% 38

FG per game: 6.7

assists 3.3

FT 84.6

steals 1.7

Rebounds 6.4

PER 19.2  (20.5 2019-20)

PG is having a better career. A better shooter/scorer, and better defensively, a true two-way player. He's been a league defensive MVP, a runner up defensive MVP, and in the final 3 for League MVP. 

Not that it'll change many opinions but Roger Brown (and Connie Hawkins) got railroaded out of his college and early pro career by a bogus charge that he hung out with a gambler...

No charges, no hearing, nothing...

He was 25 before he got to start his pro career with the Pacers...

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not that it'll change many opinions but Roger Brown (and Connie Hawkins) got railroaded out of his college and early pro career by a bogus charge that he hung out with a gambler...

No charges, no hearing, nothing...

He was 25 before he got to start his pro career with the Pacers...

That's true (and is discussed in his bio). Reflection of the times, grossly unfair to him.

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I was there. 7 years old. Top 5 sports moment ever for me. 

We had rented a house for race weekend. Had 15 or so friends down from Chicago and I was only Pacer fan in the place watching that one. HUGE Indy sports moment.....funny part was 2 of my friends/girlfriends at the time were so pissed they ended up leaving 10 minutes after it went in. Haha!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

We had rented a house for race weekend. Had 15 or so friends down from Chicago and I was only Pacer fan in the place watching that one. HUGE Indy sports moment.....funny part was 2 of my friends/girlfriends at the time were so pissed they ended up leaving 10 minutes after it went in. Haha!

And that preceded MJ’s miss at the other end and he actually wined a bit that Regg pushed off on him, MJ bring the king of elbow push offs that was funnyv

• Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 11:49 AM, Billingsley99 said:

I heard Slick this morning on an interview say that the 73 Pacers had 4 future hall of famers on it. IMO it would be hard to put PG on the list of 5.

Don’t forget the rifleman Chuck Person. 

Are we just talking Pacer careers all time team or their whole career? ABA vs NBA?

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Don’t forget the rifleman Chuck Person. 

Are we just talking Pacer careers all time team or their whole career? ABA vs NBA?

I remember being at game 4 of that series at Market Square and that was one of the loudest I have heard an arena.  Pacers won that game to force a deciding game 5 of the first round.  We lost game 5 but to me it was taken away from us due to some questionable calls.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saw where one plan to reopen the NBA on July 31 and have a game 7 of the finals on October 12th.  They would then have the draft and free agency after the finals.  My question would be is when will the next season starts.

Christmas, I think. Even before Coronavirus, Adam Silver was discussing moving the start of the season to Christmas, so this is a chance to test that out. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Will they play a full 82 games next year?

I think they would. First, owners aren’t going to want the revenue loss of a second shortened season, and second the Christmas start is something Adam Silver has been talking about as a potentially permanent thing even before COVID. 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think they would. First, owners aren’t going to want the revenue loss of a second shortened season, and second the Christmas start is something Adam Silver has been talking about as a potentially permanent thing even before COVID. 

I second this above.  I think they will do everything possible to keep a 82 game season if they start around December.  Look for a lot of B2B for every team and a few B2B2Bs as well or 3 games in 4 nights may become the normal for the 2020-2021 season. 

3 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I second this above.  I think they will do everything possible to keep a 82 game season if they start around December.  Look for a lot of B2B for every team and a few B2B2Bs as well or 3 games in 4 nights may become the normal for the 2020-2021 season. 

I think what Adam Silver really wants is to do is just extend the season to August. So, you'd go from Christmas - August while keeping the schedule the same in terms of spacing the games out, and then that would be the permanent setup going forward. There will be pushback from the players though because they like basically having Summer off. 

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think what Adam Silver really wants is to do is just extend the season to August. So, you'd go from Christmas - August while keeping the schedule the same in terms of spacing the games out, and then that would be the permanent setup going forward. There will be pushback from the players though because they like basically having Summer off. 

I don't like that notion.

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

What's the appeal of a later season? Beyond this next year, I mean.