NBA Thread

41 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

What's the appeal of a later season? Beyond this next year, I mean.

The appeal is that the vast majority don't pay attention to the NBA until at least Christmas. Everyone is focused on the NFL. The NBA owns Christmas and many in the media/fnas consider that sort of the unofficial start to the season in terms of people watching games and eyeballs on them. 

It actually makes a lot of sense, it's just a huge change though.

• Like 2

Just now, BGleas said:

The appeal is that the vast majority don't pay attention to the NBA until at least Christmas. Everyone is focused on the NFL. The NBA owns Christmas and many in the media/fnas consider that sort of the unofficial start to the season in terms of people watching games and eyeballs on them. 

I actually pay attention to the NBA more at the beginning of the year than I do during the playoffs.  Once college basketball starts I really don't pay attention to the NBA at all and once the Pacers are eliminated from the playoffs I don't watch at all.  To me basketball season is over in April and moving the season back to where it ends in August would not be good for the NBA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think what Adam Silver really wants is to do is just extend the season to August. So, you'd go from Christmas - August while keeping the schedule the same in terms of spacing the games out, and then that would be the permanent setup going forward. There will be pushback from the players though because they like basically having Summer off. 

Yes I think it's pretty unlikely they'd increased back to backs and, of course, if they did you'd see a big increase in players resting. 

I don't know if they'd really do a full-summer schedule. I mean that would really mess with the Olympics, national team play, and of course player vacations, which they need. Still seems unlikely to me, guess we'll see.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I actually pay attention to the NBA more at the beginning of the year than I do during the playoffs.  Once college basketball starts I really don't pay attention to the NBA at all and once the Pacers are eliminated from the playoffs I don't watch at all.  To me basketball season is over in April and moving the season back to where it ends in August would not be good for the NBA.

You're one person and you're probably in the minority in terms of paying more attention at the beginning of the year. You've already said you don't really pay attention to the playoffs, so this won't really impact you that much. NBA fans are already used to watching the playoffs through June. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes I think it's pretty unlikely they'd increased back to backs and, of course, if they did you'd see a big increase in players resting. 

I don't know if they'd really do a full-summer schedule. I mean that would really mess with the Olympics, national team play, and of course player vacations, which they need. Still seems unlikely to me, guess we'll see.

Yeah, I don't know how likely it is to actually happen as a permanent plan, but I do know that Adam Silver and some owners are very interested in the idea. 

It wouldn't really be a full schedule in the Summer though. I'd guess the regular season would end sometime in June, so right there half the teams would be done. By the time you get to August you'd be down to 2-4 teams depending on how long the Conference Finals went. 

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I don't know how likely it is to actually happen as a permanent plan, but I do know that Adam Silver and some owners are very interested in the idea. 

It wouldn't really be a full schedule in the Summer though. I'd guess the regular season would end sometime in June, so right there half the teams would be done. By the time you get to August you'd be down to 2-4 teams depending on how long the Conference Finals went. 

Another interesting year ahead of us! 
I will just be glad to watch b-ball again, no more taking it for granted from me, whatever the season is 

• Like 2

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Another interesting year ahead of us! 
I will just be glad to watch b-ball again, no more taking it for granted from me, whatever the season is 

Right! I was saying to someone the other day, while I'm certainly a fan of Summer, I almost wish we could skip right ahead to the Fall so I can watch football and basketball. I'm ready for sports to be back. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BGleas said:

Count me in this category. I pay attention early on in terms of how Pacers are doing and IU players in NBA but I actually don't watch game most of the time until later in year. With college football, NFL, baseball playoffs, bowl season,etc....I rarely if ever watch NBA until Jan/February at the earliest. They would have better chances of getting bigger piece of TV pie going up against college hoops (Jan-April) and baseball (April -end of summer) vs the current season. It would take some time getting used to new schedule but to me it has more upside.

• Like 1

I know it is for money but to me it would have been best to just cancel this season.  Just start next season normal and move on from there. With the draft being October 15th and the season starting December 1st it won't allow those players much time with their new teams.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know it is for money but to me it would have been best to just cancel this season.  Just start next season normal and move on from there. With the draft being October 15th and the season starting December 1st it won't allow those players much time with their new teams.

There's definitely a great deal of money involved -- but not just for the teams/League -- the players stand to lose hundreds of millions of dollars if the season were just cancelled. I know I know, they earn a ton, but it's easy for us to stand on the sideline and say the season should be cancelled while disregarding millions lost just because a number of these guys earn a ton.

Regardless, it sounds like they have a good number of protocols in place, and if there's a COVID breakout they'll likely shut it down again. Here's to hoping we don't see any COVID issues as they open up the NBA -- remember, a number of leagues across multiple sports followed the NBA's lead -- sure hope we can get back to basketball, football, soccer, swimming, hell badminton, with protocols so people can get on with living.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

There's definitely a great deal of money involved -- but not just for the teams/League -- the players stand to lose hundreds of millions of dollars if the season were just cancelled. I know I know, they earn a ton, but it's easy for us to stand on the sideline and say the season should be cancelled while disregarding millions lost just because a number of these guys earn a ton.

Regardless, it sounds like they have a good number of protocols in place, and if there's a COVID breakout they'll likely shut it down again. Here's to hoping we don't see any COVID issues as they open up the NBA -- remember, a number of leagues across multiple sports followed the NBA's lead -- sure hope we can get back to basketball, football, soccer, swimming, hell badminton, with protocols so people can get on with living.

For me it is just not about the virus but how good can the play he after taking so much time off.  Will the champion actually feel like a legitimate champion.  Also starting up the season again only messed up the next season as well.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For me it is just not about the virus but how good can the play he after taking so much time off.  Will the champion actually feel like a legitimate champion.  Also starting up the season again only messed up the next season as well.

I mean, you can be negative about every aspect of it or you can be excited for sports to be back and excited for a league that is actually being creative about solutions for their season. Excited to see some of the changes and how they play out. Excited to get to see these guys playing in a setting that is completely new and different. Excited to see what it's like to potentially be able to hear these guys talking to each other on the court. Excited to see who comes back with a vengence and who comes back ala Shawn Kemp from the 1999 lockout. 

It might be terrible, it might be awesome, but I don't understand why anyone wouldn't be excited to find out. There's a lot of fun involved in seeing how this plays out. 

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean, you can be negative about every aspect of it or you can be excited for sports to be back and excited for a league that is actually being creative about solutions for their season. Excited to see some of the changes and how they play out. Excited to get to see these guys playing in a setting that is completely new and different. Excited to see what it's like to potentially be able to hear these guys talking to each other on the court. Excited to see who comes back with a vengence and who comes back ala Shawn Kemp from the 1999 lockout. 

It might be terrible, it might be awesome, but I don't understand why anyone wouldn't be excited to find out. There's a lot of fun involved in seeing how this plays out. 

Never said you shouldn't be excited but to me why ruin a second season when you could just cancelled one season.

I love college basketball and the tournament but couldn't see them coming back 4 months.lster to start the tournament.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Another way of looking at it is all the guys who weren't healthy (a good number of the Clippers etc.) have now had months to get healthy. In shape? Nope. But they have time to get there and maybe we'll get to see teams at full strength. 

Also, though I'm not particularly an LBJ fan, imagine being him at 35 and after playing extremely well, as he did this year, losing the year and having to wait until he's 36 to try to get that playoff run. Then there's the Clips etc. who've fought all year long to be in the position they're in. It wouldn't be fair to the players to just call it a day on their season. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Another way of looking at it is all the guys who weren't healthy (a good number of the Clippers etc.) have now had months to get healthy. In shape? Nope. But they have time to get there and maybe we'll get to see teams at full strength. 

Also, though I'm not particularly an LBJ fan, imagine being him at 35 and after playing extremely well, as he did this year, losing the year and having to wait until he's 36 to try to get that playoff run. Then there's the Clips etc. who've fought all year long to be in the position they're in. It wouldn't be fair to the players to just call it a day on their season. 

I am looking at it how it will effect next season. For the teams who makes a deep run in the playoffs they will only have 6 weeks until the next season starts.  Take Lebron he will take more rest days next year if they make a long run.  Also only having a few weeks for the draft and free agency will really be difficult to build your roster.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Never said you shouldn't be excited but to me why ruin a second season when you could just cancelled one season.

I love college basketball and the tournament but couldn't see them coming back 4 months.lster to start the tournament.

You never said it, but you downplay everything on this topic and come up with reasons why not instead of reasons why. 

Lets get basketbalk back and we can worry about next season when that bridge comes. The great news about the NBA, as opposed to MLB or the NCAA, is the people in charge are extremely creative and forward thinking, as opposed to stuck in the mud and arguing over the same old, same old. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am looking at it how it will effect next season. For the teams who makes a deep run in the playoffs they will only have 6 weeks until the next season starts.  Take Lebron he will take more rest days next year if they make a long run.  Also only having a few weeks for the draft and free agency will really be difficult to build your roster.

Some of the biggest stars like Durant and Klay didn't even play this year. Curry not so much.  I don't like the short off-season but 8 teams will have had the longest off season ever.  6 more join them in mid August.  Then every couple of weeks more teams will drop out. It sounds like the NBA plans to have series go every other day with no travel. So who knows if it goes all the way to mid Octobers.  These players are pros and stay in shape year round and load management was already here so what if Lebron takes a few extra games off.   Who knows we might see the best playoffs ever as the players should be really fresh with the long layoff. 

I don't think teams are waiting until the Finals are over to prepare for the draft.  Actually they have 3 more months to prepare for the draft but missed out on having the NCAA tourney and draft camps to evaluate players assuming they don't have a camp.

Free Agency will be strange.  What kind of salaries will teams be able to throw around?  The CAP has to be impacted. Will players be more apt to opt in to current deals or take 1 year deals. I can't imagine a free agent getting a better long term deal this off season than summer of 21 assuming things are back to normal. 

I have some things I don't like either and tend to agree they should of tried to keep next year as normal as possible.   I don't think they should scrap the season so I like it better as it is than ending the season.  I also can't pretend to know all the logistic hurdles they had to deal to with in the decisions they made. Goes way beyond me dreaming up stuff to type on a forum. lol

For some of the dreamt up stuff. 

I am glad to see it come back but I think the NBA mismanaged this some.  They should have found a way to get it going before the 4th of July weekend and they could of dominated the summer TV sports including the 4th of July weekend.  Maybe crown the champ labor day weekend. Something tells me Stern wouldn't have missed out on that opportunity.

I thought all the teams should of been able to return. I understand they may not want to have risked injury to those who became Free agent but they could have expanded roster from the G-League pool and let the bottom 8 have some development games  like the summer league. I'm sure the Hawks who wanted to develop chemistry weren't the only team in that wanted to play.  Maybe have them play a couple of tournaments for a payoff like the TBT. I'd like to see them just remove draft day trades this year, do the draft just after the 4th and let those players join expanded rosters for the rest of the season. If they don't  like what they got then trade em in November.

Thought this was an interesting tweet NBA related. If it was me I wouldn't mind some salary deferred during my life. No one ever thinks they'll make bad investments or choices with $ but it happens to everyone.

Allen Iverson turns 45 today. Ten years from today, on his 55th birthday, he receives a $32 million trust fund as part of the lifetime Reebok deal he signed in 2001.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Thought this was an interesting tweet NBA related. If it was me I wouldn't mind some salary deferred during my life. No one ever thinks they'll make bad investments or choices with $ but it happens to everyone.

Allen Iverson turns 45 today. Ten years from today, on his 55th birthday, he receives a $32 million trust fund as part of the lifetime Reebok deal he signed in 2001.

"JG Wentworth. How can I help you?"

"We're sitting here … I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're in here talking about trust fund. I mean, listen, we're talking about trust fund. Not a salary. Not a salary. Not a salary. We're talking about trust fund. Not a salary. Not the salary that I went out there and died for and played every game like it's my last. Not the salary. We're talking about trust fund, man. I mean how silly is that. And we're talking about trust fund." 

😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3