NBA Thread

43 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It reminds me of the Bobby Bonilla contract.  He gets over a million year until he’s over 70.   That’s security.  

Plenty of MLB guys have this still....I think Bruce Sutter was another big one. Just didn't know many NBA guys had the same....especially Iverson.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 8:58 AM, IU Scott said:

I actually pay attention to the NBA more at the beginning of the year than I do during the playoffs.  Once college basketball starts I really don't pay attention to the NBA at all and once the Pacers are eliminated from the playoffs I don't watch at all.  To me basketball season is over in April and moving the season back to where it ends in August would not be good for the NBA.

They're very unlikely to care what someone who watches for two weeks at the beginning of the season and three weeks in April thinks. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 7:13 AM, Seeking6 said:

Count me in this category. I pay attention early on in terms of how Pacers are doing and IU players in NBA but I actually don't watch game most of the time until later in year. With college football, NFL, baseball playoffs, bowl season,etc....I rarely if ever watch NBA until Jan/February at the earliest. They would have better chances of getting bigger piece of TV pie going up against college hoops (Jan-April) and baseball (April -end of summer) vs the current season. It would take some time getting used to new schedule but to me it has more upside.

Absolutely, not to mention July is typically a pretty brutal time for sports viewing and they could own that market. Having the height of your postseason in the dog days of baseball season and before football season kicks off would be ideal IMO. 

There is the obvious issue with international play, but if you think about it, most players would still be able to go play for their country. You're talking about maybe 4 teams total having guys impacted in that regard. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Absolutely, not to mention July is typically a pretty brutal time for sports viewing and they could own that market. Having the height of your postseason in the dog days of baseball season and before football season kicks off would be ideal IMO. 

There is the obvious issue with international play, but if you think about it, most players would still be able to go play for their country. You're talking about maybe 4 teams total having guys impacted in that regard. 

Agree generally except the 4 teams part --many teams have players who play for their countries / on international squads over the summer.

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree generally except the 4 teams part --many teams have players who play for their countries / on international squads over the summer.

I think he meant that there will be only 2-4 NBA teams players impacted, depending on how long the conference finals go. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2020 at 10:53 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Probably. We don't know who might have international team commitments etc. Again, agree generally with your sentiments though.

Right, my point was more that we are only talking about this impacting like 4 NBA teams, not that we know who will have commitments. It will be a bummer for guys to have to miss out, especially on the Olympics, but it is what it is. I'd feel worse for some of the foreign countries missing out on NBA stars than I would the USA, as we simply have more to choose from. 

• Like 1

Thought this was an interesting story. Troy Weaver set to be named GM of Pistons today. Part I found kind of cool was he started as an AAU coach. Delivered Carmelo Anthony and himself to Syracuse and has worked his way over the past 20 years in NBA. Amazing career path that started with one recruit and he worked his tail off afterwards.

On 6/25/2020 at 8:55 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Vince Carter announced his retirement today. "Half Man Half Amazing" as dubbed by Kenny Smith -- Enjoyed his career

Vince playing until he is 43 is downright amazing considering the physical pounding and athleticism involved.  Tip of the cap.  Let’s be honest, Brady playing at age 43 is also amazing.  I wonder if we start seeing more of this as quarterbacks don’t get hit like they once did.  You do have to avoid arm problems though   That’s a lot of strain.

Herschel Walker has been in phenomenal shape in his older age.

My favorite story though might be Darrell Green.  He ran the 40 in like 4.2 at age 40.  He wants to run a 4.5 when he’s 60  I think he ran a 4.4 at age 50.  Just awesome. 

https://washington.cbslocal.com/2018/01/15/darrell-green-wants-to-run-a-4-5-second-40-at-age-60/

Edited by BobSaccamanno

I got an email from Ticketmaster today informing me that the Pacers / Warriors game I had tickets for on March 18th has been cancelled and that they would be refunding me within the next 30 days.    It's heartwarming to know that, three months afterwards, they realized they've had my money all this time and they will only hold it for one more month.  What a noble thing to do.  :coffee: 

• Like 4

Victor sitting out the rest of this year. My guess is combination of injury and covid concerns. Initial reaction is darn it....but this whole thing is a cluster. Guess it probably makes sense for him to get completely healthy (if that's the primary reason) and be ready for later this year.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Victor sitting out the rest of this year. My guess is combination of injury and covid concerns. Initial reaction is darn it....but this whole thing is a cluster. Guess it probably makes sense for him to get completely healthy (if that's the primary reason) and be ready for later this year.

Has to be more than the injury since he had already came back before the pandemic.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Has to be more than the injury since he had already came back before the pandemic.

Think he was experiencing some issues during the down time too. Contract year coming up as well. Hate it for Pacers and I know some will say suck it up,etc....but better he completely healthy. Sometimes I think as fans we don't realize how much this can drain on the players. Of course they want to play but this year? In that bubble? I'd probably be cautious too.

• Like 1

I was at Bankers Life for the last Pacers game before the shutdown and Vic had a huge game against the Celtics.  If he was healthy enough then to play, then I can't see how that can be used as an excuse to sit out now.  Disappointing.  

That said, I think the prospects of the NBA actually playing is probably 50/50 at this point.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

If any year players deserve a pass without getting called whatever by fans it's this one. Maybe Vic had a setback since March 10th? I know we have some IU bias in treating Vic differently but if folks can separate the two he's making the right call. Hate it for Pacers but this isn't a title team anyway. I'd rather he get back completely healthy. For the folks saying he's the leader,etc.....needs to lead by example. Is Mike Trout pathetic now because his wife is pregnant and he doesn't want to be away?? 

This whole year is going to be full of these stories. In every city in all sports.

• Like 1