NBA Thread

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I was at Bankers Life for the last Pacers game before the shutdown and Vic had a huge game against the Celtics.  If he was healthy enough then to play, then I can't see how that can be used as an excuse to sit out now.  Disappointing.  

That said, I think the prospects of the NBA actually playing is probably 50/50 at this point.

Normally I would be pissed off about this but this season is not a normal year.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Vics contract should also be void this year. 

He's giving up $3M with his decision. I get all sides of this one but what would happen if not 100% down in Florida and he injures what used to be a career ending injury. He's out next year too. I'd rather Vic be solid in December. 

• Like 2

Just now, Seeking6 said:

He's giving up $3M with his decision. I get all sides of this one but what would happen if not 100% down in Florida and he injures what used to be a career ending injury. He's out next year too. I'd rather Vic be solid in December. 

I look at it differently. Not my life. I respect your outlook though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If any year players deserve a pass without getting called whatever by fans it's this one. Maybe Vic had a setback since March 10th? I know we have some IU bias in treating Vic differently but if folks can separate the two he's making the right call. Hate it for Pacers but this isn't a title team anyway. I'd rather he get back completely healthy. For the folks saying he's the leader,etc.....needs to lead by example. Is Mike Trout pathetic now because his wife is pregnant and he doesn't want to be away?? 

This whole year is going to be full of these stories. In every city in all sports.

Vic and Mike Trout are two different animals.  Trout is a great player, but has never been a 'leader'.  The Angels never make the post-season.  I've never viewed the Angels as 'Trout's Team'. 

Vic, on the other hand, stepped up the minute he got traded to the Pacers and inserted himself into the leadership role.  If it is truly an injury setback, then the front office and coaching staff need to step up and confirm that.  Otherwise, this most certainly could hurt Vic's image as the leader of the franchise, both among fans as well as in the locker room.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Vic and Mike Trout are two different animals.  Trout is a great player, but has never been a 'leader'.  The Angels never make the post-season.  I've never viewed the Angels as 'Trout's Team'. 

Vic, on the other hand, stepped up the minute he got traded to the Pacers and inserted himself into the leadership role.  If it is truly an injury setback, then the front office and coaching staff need to step up and confirm that.  Otherwise, this most certainly could hurt Vic's image as the leader of the franchise, both among fans as well as in the locker room.

Actually for me this year I enjoyed watching the Pacers more without Vic.  I thought the Pacers were a better team before he came back and thought Vic was trying to do to much with the ball.

I’m kind of torn on this whole Vic thing. To be perfectly honest, if he doesn’t end up resigning with the Pacers this will retroactively upset me a whole lot more. I’m not saying my feeling that way is right or wrong, it’s just where I’m at as of now. I might change once the I think it over more. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 1

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m kind of torn on this whole Vic thing. To be perfectly honest, if he doesn’t end up resigning with the Pacers this will retroactively upset me a whole lot more. I’m not saying my feeling that way is right or wrong, it’s just where I’m at as of now. I might change once the I think it over more. 

fair

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Juwan will be on the Jazz roster in Orlando?

I'll probably watch a lot of the Celtics games.  Hoping the time off has been good for Romeo.

Yogi should get some play for the Kings as well.  They're ultimately not going to make the playoffs, so they may give guys like Yogi extended time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I look at it differently. Not my life. I respect your outlook though. 

Trust me my initial reaction was damn Victor....this is going to cost you some supporters and who knows impact in locker room. There's always been the Miami Heat rumors in play. Headed into a contract year makes this move fuel that fire. My guess is Pacers will sign CJ Miles within 24 hours.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In my opinion, it will be very telling if the coaching staff and/or front office does not make a public announcement that supports Vic's decision.

Pritchard IMO has already said what he needed to say earlier this week....from his perspective. Said Victor has looked great. Hasn't seen him in better shape,etc....Pritchard is good at what he does for what he's been given. When things like this happen I would lean more towards the enjoy next year with Victor folks because Pritchard is probably going to move on. 

I love Victor to death but that's more IU love than Pacers love. Is he really a franchise guy? Seems to me we need 2-3 of him.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Pritchard IMO has already said what he needed to say earlier this week....from his perspective. Said Victor has looked great. Hasn't seen him in better shape,etc....Pritchard is good at what he does for what he's been given. When things like this happen I would lean more towards the enjoy next year with Victor folks because Pritchard is probably going to move on. 

I love Victor to death but that's more IU love than Pacers love. Is he really a franchise guy? Seems to me we need 2-3 of him.

I guess I might not be a good fan because once a player leaves IU for the pros I don't make a big effort to follow them. Once Vic came the Pacers then I followed him but if he doesn't want to be Pacer then move on.

Edited by IU Scott

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Had not seen the Pritchard quote.  

A leader earns that title during tough times, not easy ones.  Could be a big setback to Vic's career.  If the Pacers do move on and Vic is on the market, he's going to have to answer some tough questions about why he did not play.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Had not seen the Pritchard quote.  

A leader earns that title during tough times, not easy ones.  Could be a big setback to Vic's career.  If the Pacers do move on and Vic is on the market, he's going to have to answer some tough questions about why he did not play.

And of course the second this story broke you have a 20k fans saying just like Andrew Luck quit on his teammates too. One of these days the city will get both franchises aligned. Colts are coming. I think Pacers are still too. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

And of course the second this story broke you have a 20k fans saying just like Andrew Luck quit on his teammates too. One of these days the city will get both franchises aligned. Colts are coming. I think Pacers are still too. 

On the point of 'quitting'.  I know LeBron has quit on a few cities during his career, but he never quit on his team.  Can you realistically see a scenario where LeBron would have not shown up in Orlando?  I don't think it would have mattered if the Lakers were the top seed, the 5th seed like the Pacers, the 8th seed, or one of those teams just trying to play themselves in.  LeBron would be there, and he would put the team on his back if needed.

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

On the point of 'quitting'.  I know LeBron has quit on a few cities during his career, but he never quit on his team.  Can you realistically see a scenario where LeBron would have not shown up in Orlando?  I don't think it would have mattered if the Lakers were the top seed, the 5th seed like the Pacers, the 8th seed, or one of those teams just trying to play themselves in.  LeBron would be there, and he would put the team on his back if needed.

Guarantee a player like MJ, Bird or Magic would be down their playing with their teammates.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agree all day. I'm not a Lebron guy but more of a distant fan....but he also has several hundred million reasons in play. Different circumstances for him and a guy like Vic. Word is spreading that  Vic is going with team to Orlando and support. Just not playing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day. I'm not a Lebron guy but more of a distant fan....but he also has several hundred million reasons in play. Different circumstances for him and a guy like Vic. Word is spreading that  Vic is going with team to Orlando and support. Just not playing. 

To me that is even worse because it means he is not afraid of being around people and getting the virus.  With him coming back before the pandemic that should show that he was healthy enough to play then.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Good for Vic if he goes to Orlando to support.  But, I'm not sure that will make a difference to some of his teammates if they lose a nip and tuck series to the 76'ers, Bucks, or Celtics.  

• Like 1