NBA Thread

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me that is even worse because it means he is not afraid of being around people and getting the virus.  With him coming back before the pandemic that should show that he was healthy enough to play then.

Just me but it points more to the injury not the virus. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Good for Vic if he goes to Orlando to support.  But, I'm not sure that will make a difference to some of his teammates if they lose a nip and tuck series to the 76'ers, Bucks, or Celtics.  

Yep. Sure hope this one has been thought out. Guys want to go with guys who are available. If they aren't he can find himself in some trouble with mates. 

The Vic thing is disappointing. I want to love and support him but I think the lime light has changed him. Not a good look giving up on your teammates. I know people have different opinions but most Pacer fans on their fan board want him gone now. If not for his history with us I probably would understand them...so hard to dislike him but people change...and this isn’t the Vic I recognize.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The Vic thing is disappointing. I want to love and support him but I think the lime light has changed him. Not a good look giving up on your teammates. I know people have different opinions but most Pacer fans on their fan board want him gone now. If not for his history with us I probably would understand them...so hard to dislike him but people change...and this isn’t the Vic I recognize.

Yeah, starting to get more of a Paul George vibe with him after this, and I hate that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

His first year with the Pacers were great and he was very humble and easy to like.  After that season it seemed to change him and he became a diva.  I remember one sports talk guy who was worried that Vic would become the next Paul George.  He thought just like George that Vic would think he was to big of a fish for Indy.

Flipping through the channels and actually saw live basketball with the Basketball Tournament.  I have no interest in watching it but was interested in seeing what it looks like in an empty arena.  Looks like they put black curtains around most of the arena so couldn't see the empty seats.  Also weird to not hear many cheers after a good play.  Also saw players doing high fives which I thought they would not be allowed to do.

Edited by IU Scott

A little late here, but truly disappointed with Vic. I think that I would’ve been less upset if he chose not to go to Orlando at all, given the circumstances. I still have lots of love for him, however, if he moves on in free agency... his legacy will leave a sour taste in a lot of Hoosier/Pacer fan’s mouths. Again, lots of love for Vic, but I’m disappointed.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:52 PM, 5fouls said:

Had not seen the Pritchard quote.  

A leader earns that title during tough times, not easy ones.  Could be a big setback to Vic's career.  If the Pacers do move on and Vic is on the market, he's going to have to answer some tough questions about why he did not play.

Not from any decent franchise. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 3:01 PM, 5fouls said:

On the point of 'quitting'.  I know LeBron has quit on a few cities during his career, but he never quit on his team.  Can you realistically see a scenario where LeBron would have not shown up in Orlando?  I don't think it would have mattered if the Lakers were the top seed, the 5th seed like the Pacers, the 8th seed, or one of those teams just trying to play themselves in.  LeBron would be there, and he would put the team on his back if needed.

You're comparing arguably the best player ever to a borderline all star. They have different goals and things they're trying to accomplish. 

• Like 1

Bad move by Vic.

But, per CBS....

Oladipo is perhaps the biggest name player to opt out thus far, and his case is a puzzling one. On one hand, he would have been more than capable of making a huge difference in the Pacers' postseason. On the other hand, the evidence over the course of his 13 games with the team suggested he's still far from being the All-Star fans have come to know and love in Indiana. Oladipo was clearly improving, but the Pacers were worse with him on the court and there's no telling whether he would have improved enough by the start of the playoffs to make a significant impact. Unfortunately, we won't get the chance to find out, and the Pacers -- already thin in the backcourt after the loss of Jeremy Lamb -- will have to lean on Justin Holiday and Doug McDermott to fill those wing minutes, with players like T.J. McConnell, Aaron Holiday and Edmond Sumner likely getting more run.

Edited by rico
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 4:01 PM, 5fouls said:

On the point of 'quitting'.  I know LeBron has quit on a few cities during his career, but he never quit on his team.  Can you realistically see a scenario where LeBron would have not shown up in Orlando?  I don't think it would have mattered if the Lakers were the top seed, the 5th seed like the Pacers, the 8th seed, or one of those teams just trying to play themselves in.  LeBron would be there, and he would put the team on his back if needed.

LeBron absolutely quit on the Cavs, on the floor , before he left for Miami. He was heavily ridiculed for it. Just stood in the corner and did nothing, and lost. 

I’n very late to the party here. Why the hate here on Vic? What’s the background to his decision not to play in Orlando? 
I can’t believe there’s talk the Pacers would move on from him, he’s been bu far their best player, if they were so stupid as to do so, and I don’t see it, they’d set the franchise back years 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

LeBron absolutely quit on the Cavs, on the floor , before he left for Miami. He was heavily ridiculed for it. Just stood in the corner and did nothing, and lost. 

I’n very late to the party here. Why the hate here on Vic? What’s the background to his decision not to play in Orlando? 
I can’t believe there’s talk the Pacers would move on from him, he’s been bu far their best player, if they were so stupid as to do so, and I don’t see it, they’d set the franchise back years 

I saw Vic play at Bankers Life the last game before the stoppage against the Celtics.  He had 27 points.  While he may not have been 100% at the time, he still scored 27 points against one of the best teams in the NBA.  If he was able to do that on March 10th, then it is likely he could have played and contributed in Orlando.  And, as I stated in an earlier post, it would be very telling as to what, if anything, the Pacers front office and coaching staff said.  They are closer to it than you or I.  So far that has been nothing.  

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Is this what people are talking about as to the Pacers supposedly moving on or should be??

is this quitting?? 

again I am late to the party but what? 

Not sure what others are saying or the masses are thinking but to me it seems player/organization appear to be on same page. Now we'll find out what the actual truth is when Vic comes up for contract. I don't know if he's a sure fire max guy anymore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Is this what people are talking about as to the Pacers supposedly moving on or should be??

is this quitting?? 

again I am late to the party but what? 

I lurk the pacer digest board. I haven’t seen one person support Victor. Basically he was healthy enough to play a quarter of the season several months ago but now suddenly he isn’t healthy enough after even more time off of healing to play in the playoffs seems to be the common sentiment. Add to that he has been very visible on the south beach scene also hasn’t been taken positively and many think he wants to go to the Heat as a free agent. (That talk seems more conspiracy but after the PG burn the fans are pretty raw still about it’s stars leaving)

I’m a causal Pacer fan because I’m not a big NBA guy as I don’t care for most of the attitudes on the court and the 1-1 basketball where it has turned into pick n roll get a big man on a mismatch and then carry the ball to get by him or the insane amount of 3s being shot. Just lots of things since the late 90s that have gone down hill with I would call the quality And watchability of the game.

I think if it was coronavirus related they wouldn’t think twice but since it’s more about shutting it down at the most important part of the season after you have already had so much time to heal and you have a contract negotiation coming up at the end of next season they see it as him quitting and protecting a big payday. Most fans don’t like that and I understand them. Vic might be one of my favorites but even I think this is weak sauce....major weak sauce. That isn’t just my opinion...heck I can’t even use the language the majority on that forum uses to describe him. Most want him gone...I’d say that is a bit harsh but I think this is a big mistake for Vic...and not going to help his image/pr. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure what others are saying or the masses are thinking but to me it seems player/organization appear to be on same page. Now we'll find out what the actual truth is when Vic comes up for contract. I don't know if he's a sure fire max guy anymore. 

No...honestly...that injury will likely mean he won’t ever be the same again. Without that same explosiveness he can’t get to the basket and finish the same and without the threat of that he wont see nearly as many open jumpers. He isn’t a pure shooter anyways so no his game isn’t max $$ which besides Pacers can never afford max money so he will take the home town discount which will still likely be close to 30 million or he will move on. He has been loved and respected by the fans in Indy...I think he would be crazy to move on for a few million more..but Vic might think his star isn’t getting to shine bright enough in Indy like PG and could easily go that route leading Pacer fans disappointed again.

Realistically the Pacers ceiling even with Vic is losing in the second round. When you look at the big picture and realize all players will be at a higher injury risk going from 0-60 with the restart, and Vic is still coming back from an incredibly serious injury heading into a contract year, and just the strangeness of the situation; this is really a no brainier. 

I'm actually glad he isn't playing; I don't think it changes our ceiling, he will be healthy heading into next year, some promising young guys are going to get a chance to shine. I think this is 100% the best thing for the team long term. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Realistically the Pacers ceiling even with Vic is losing in the second round. When you look at the big picture and realize all players will be at a higher injury risk going from 0-60 with the restart, and Vic is still coming back from an incredibly serious injury heading into a contract year, and just the strangeness of the situation; this is really a no brainier. 

I'm actually glad he isn't playing; I don't think it changes our ceiling, he will be healthy heading into next year, some promising young guys are going to get a chance to shine. I think this is 100% the best thing for the team long term. 

Agree with everything you said...but still think it is a bad look for Vic.

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree. As a fan of a different team, I’m a little surprised at the backlash he’s getting. 

• Like 2