NBA Thread

21 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Victor will continue to practice in 5 on 5 in Orlando with the team for the remainder of the bubble season.  The belief right now according to sources close to the situation believe that if the Pacers make it past the first round that Victor will return in limited capacity. 

Curious as to what source suggested him possibly returning if Pacers get past round 1?

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Listen to the Podcast of the Brink yesterday and they had Scott Agnes a Pacer reporter on the show.  He said behind the scenes that the Pacers are getting a little upset with some of the things that Vic has done over the last year and half. He did not go into detail but I think some has to do with Vic and his handlers are doing everything on their own and not consulting with the Pacers on any of his decisions.

Thanks for the heads up. Interesting listen. Personally, can't help but get a bit of a vibe to the beginning of the PG disassociation from the franchise. May not be legit, but the seeming disconnect between the organization and Dipo in terms of communication and thought process behind his decision making does worry me. Agness compared Dipo not notifying Pacers of his decision not to play in restart before announcing in media to Bradley Beal's, which was a joint announcement with the Wizards organization.

1 hour ago, Coach1K said:

Not many players are liking the bubble setup that the league created and some are not liking the food.

It isn’t ideal but sounds like a bunch of spoiled rich athletes. What happened to love of the game?! I don’t think MJ, Bird, Magic would be complaining....they be looking for an edge. Heck they probably meet up on a playground and play til 2am to win a championship...these guys clearly feel a championship isn’t worth having to eat mediocre pizza and staying in 5 star resort lol. I get the family part but clearly they need a strip club and some bars to make them happy...since they are so used to the road night life.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It isn’t ideal but sounds like a bunch of spoiled rich athletes. What happened to love of the game?! I don’t think MJ, Bird, Magic would be complaining....they be looking for an edge. Heck they probably meet up on a playground and play til 2am to win a championship...these guys clearly feel a championship isn’t worth having to eat mediocre pizza and staying in 5 star resort lol. I get the family part but clearly they need a strip club and some bars to make them happy...since they are so used to the road night life.

There's none of that lol fair amount of these dudes just aren't tough. 

Doug McDermotts quote today was pretty cool about the under dog mentality, but it appears our leader lost that mantra during his rap videos/clothing line/whatever else he does. 

The actual game, and winning,  just isn't all that important to athletes right now on a broad scale. I know plenty are going to come and tell me why I'm wrong and all that, but perception is reality 🤷‍♂️

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I have to agree to an extent. I try to back athletes in these situations, but for the guys complaining, the NBA is trying to salvage the massive revenue loss from not finishing the season in a traditional way. I’m fine if guys don’t want to play, but if you’re going to complain and maybe not play, then don’t complain when the salary cap gets dramatically reduced meaning lower salaries and a ton less money available for free agents. 

The NBA has to recoup some of the lost revenue to keep the current model viable. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I have to agree to an extent. I try to back athletes in these situations, but for the guys complaining, the NBA is trying to salvage the massive revenue loss from not finishing the season in a traditional way. I’m fine if guys don’t want to play, but if you’re going to complain and maybe not play, then don’t complain when the salary cap gets dramatically reduced meaning lower salaries and a ton less money available for free agents. 

The NBA has to recoup some of the lost revenue to keep the current model viable. 

Good post, boss. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like Victor may give it a go. Nothing confirmed yet but plenty of reports saying he will.

That would sound a lot more like the Vic I thought I knew.  I heard all the reasons it might be smart for him to sit it out, but the Vic I remember is a competitor and barring new injuries, it is hard for me to see a competitor sitting when he can contribute.

Here's hoping it's true.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like Victor may give it a go. Nothing confirmed yet but plenty of reports saying he will.

There might not ever be a better scenario for an underdog small market club to make a run then to come into this playoffs with its unusual no-home court advantage, a lot of players uncommitted, and disinterested super stars then for a team of competitive ball junkies to make a run and shock some people...especially maybe catching a top team flat footed.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That would sound a lot more like the Vic I thought I knew.  I heard all the reasons it might be smart for him to sit it out, but the Vic I remember is a competitor and barring new injuries, it is hard for me to see a competitor sitting when he can contribute.

Here's hoping it's true.

Tough one for sure. If there are injury concerns I get what Vic is doing all day long. I also get the same thing could have been said on Aug 3rd not July 3rd. My guess is the backlash is hitting him. Problem is Indy fans are still not over the leftovers from Manning....and of course when George did his adios move as well as Luck. Town feels pissed when it comes to it's superstars.

No matter how it plays out I expect Pritchard and Pacers to be discreetly shopping him before next season unless a deal can be reached before December. 

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There might not ever be a better scenario for an underdog small market club to make a run then to come into this playoffs with its unusual no-home court advantage, a lot of players uncommitted, and disinterested super stars then for a team of competitive ball junkies to make a run and shock some people...especially maybe catching a top team flat footed.

Yep. Agree all day. This is the year for good teams to sneak up on the non home crowd playoff induced homerism that happens with NBA officials. Pure hoops. If it happens. 

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Before people start bashing Vic or the Pacers, the $3 mill dispute is from the NBA, not the pacers.  The Pacers have committed to paying Victor if he plays or sits.  Its the NBA that believes he shouldn't be paid.  If a player travels to Orlando they are deemed healthy, however, if the player choses not to play then they believe that said player shouldn't be paid the remaining salary. 

What I see happening is the NBA will deem Vic shouldn't be paid so he will play a game or two then sit out with a soft tissue injury.  Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Before people start bashing Vic or the Pacers, the $3 mill dispute is from the NBA, not the pacers.  The Pacers have committed to paying Victor if he plays or sits.  Its the NBA that believes he shouldn't be paid.  If a player travels to Orlando they are deemed healthy, however, if the player choses not to play then they believe that said player shouldn't be paid the remaining salary. 

What I see happening is the NBA will deem Vic shouldn't be paid so he will play a game or two then sit out with a soft tissue injury.  Just my two cents. 

Don't punish the messenger. I was just posting what I had found on the internet. Not having seen it here.  And thinking many Pacer and IU fans would like to know it.

Stay safe.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Don't punish the messenger. I was just posting what I had found on the internet. Not having seen it here.  And thinking many Pacer and IU fans would like to know it.

Stay safe.

wasn't directed at you @milehiiu lol my bad that it came across that way.

It was for the group that reads the headline and makes assumptions

Edited by dwtaylor1055

Hard to get too excited about any of it. The attitudes and bickering back and forth with millionaires and billionaires when most Americans are suffering through every day just trying to make a living all the while still working in the midst of all the uncertainty and taking risks for their families to pay the bills just is a turn off. Probably why I love college basketball so much. Mostly still just kids living a dream loving the game. The passion I once saw in the NBA seems to mostly mostly have died out years ago. Heck these guys are mostly so out of touch with the real world. Don’t get me wrong the greats of the past lived a different life then the rest of us but it just seems they weren’t so out of touch and were still amongst the community...now even the bench guys are making so much money they put those that came before to shame. I’ll wait for the amateurism to tip it off to go back. Same for the NFL too.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Hard to get too excited about any of it. The attitudes and bickering back and forth with millionaires and billionaires when most Americans are suffering through every day just trying to make a living all the while still working in the midst of all the uncertainty and taking risks for their families to pay the bills just is a turn off. Probably why I love college basketball so much. Mostly still just kids living a dream loving the game. The passion I once saw in the NBA seems to mostly mostly have died out years ago. Heck these guys are mostly so out of touch with the real world. Don’t get me wrong the greats of the past lived a different life then the rest of us but it just seems they weren’t so out of touch and were still amongst the community...now even the bench guys are making so much money they put those that came before to shame. I’ll wait for the amateurism to tip it off to go back. Same for the NFL too.

Pretty much my feelings about pro sports (and amateur to a lesser extent).  While we love watching our favorite teams/games, the bottom line is that they are playing a game.  A GAME.  Remember when RMK used to make fun of reporters saying we all learned to write in grade school but most of us went on to more important things? Same applies to athletes.  Grossly overpaid (or lavished with attention and praise) due to their ability to play a game - and half of that ability is genetic roulette.  I appreciate their effort and dedication to the game, but much of that effort is for personal gain and improvement which is good, but they aren't Gods or necessarily better people just because of their achievements and abilities.  I enjoy watching (some of them), but I stopped viewing them as hero's a number of years ago.  I don't know if I even have as much as a passing interest in the NBA anymore, perhaps my only interest is in the careers of ex-IU players.  I suspect my feelings about the NFL are soon to be the same.

• Like 5