NBA Thread

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It’s a pointless exercise I guess but just think if we had guys like OG and Bryant stay at IU. 

Well it use to happen and that is why college and pro basketball is not as good of a product that it use to be.  I still enjoy watching it but there is no doubt the actual product is not what it use to be.

7 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

20200803_053757.jpg

You could make a pretty damned good NBA team from IU players...Anunoby, Oladipo, Bryant, Gordon, Ferrell, Zeller, Langford, Morgan...

...wouldn't it be fun to see the Pacers do that?  Of course, it will never happen because of the way the league is structured, but man...that sounds like a pretty fine team.  At least it would be fun to watch them pound a team of Turdue alumni.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You could make a pretty damned good NBA team from IU players...Anunoby, Oladipo, Bryant, Gordon, Ferrell, Zeller, Langford, Morgan...

...wouldn't it be fun to see the Pacers do that?  Of course, it will never happen because of the way the league is structured, but man...that sounds like a pretty fine team.  At least it would be fun to watch them pound a team of Turdue alumni.

Only if they'd bring back the old NBA Territorial pick rules...

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well it use to happen and that is why college and pro basketball is not as good of a product that it use to be.  I still enjoy watching it but there is no doubt the actual product is not what it use to be.

College basketball definitely isn't in it's golden age.... the NBA is arguably as good right now as it has ever been. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Think if the Pacers took OG or Bryant instead of TJ Leaf.... that what-if bugs me a hell of a lot more than those two staying at IU.

OG in particular imo. He looks like a young Kawhi, I mean, I'm not going to predict that he's a future 2-time Finals MVP, but man, the kid is a monster defender, already fully capable against LBJ and other teams' top players, a defense-first, unselfish 2-way player who can drill 3's and get to the rim with authority in traffic. And he basically lost his second year in the League. He has a really high ceiling. Bryant is just plain better than I thought he'd be in the NBA, terrific player in his own right, but I see OG in the same way I saw a young Vic in terms of his potential growing future in the League, and damn he's good on D.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

OG in particular imo. He looks like a young Kawhi, I mean, I'm not going to predict that he's a future 2-time Finals MVP, but man, the kid is a monster defender, already fully capable against LBJ and other teams' top players, a defense-first, unselfish 2-way player who can drill 3's and get to the rim with authority in traffic. And he basically lost his second year in the League. He has a really high ceiling. Bryant is just plain better than I thought he'd be in the NBA, terrific player in his own right, but I see OG in the same way I saw a young Vic in terms of his potential growing future in the League, and damn he's good on D.

I think you're spot on. OG is already an efficient offensive player and can score at the rim and from three. If he can keep his efficiency similar to what it currently is as his usage goes up and as he develops more of an ability to create for himself he will certainly find himself in some All-Star games. 

And yeah, Bryant is just a lot better than I thought he would be. He should have been a middle of the first round pick. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Could Purdue even field a full nba team?

Thought I’d add that I’m loving this NBA restart. It’s awesome, there’s games all day long. Got home from work and caught a little of the Nuggets-Thunder. Sat down after dinner and now catching some of the Grizz-Pelicans and tonight you have Lakers-Jazz.

I think it’s great and the NBA clearly has the best leadership of the major sports. 

• Like 5

warren getting more buckets.  He’s taken it up a notch. If he keeps this up, it’ll be hard for opposing teams to clamp up with Warren, Victor, Myles and Brogdon all capable of dropping 20 to 25 any night. Add the great play lately of Aaron and they won’t be an easy out. Maybe just maybe Sabonis finds a way back for the playoffs and uh oh. 

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Thought I’d add that I’m loving this NBA restart. It’s awesome, there’s games all day long. Got home from work and caught a little of the Nuggets-Thunder. Sat down after dinner and now catching some of the Grizz-Pelicans and tonight you have Lakers-Jazz.

I think it’s great and the NBA clearly has the best leadership of the major sports. 

They do and NBA deserves major Kudos. I've been privately emailing the Big 10 commissioner, Indiana's Governor and of course IU AD to throw the idea of a 60 day bubble in Indy for Big 10 season this year. Games at Bankers, Hinkle, IUPUI,etc.....keep kids from spikes on campus, better healthcare, TV $...elearning is going to happen so why worry about that component....less travel expenses,etc...could do from December to Mid Feb (IU isn't on campus until Feb 8) or from early Jan to Mid March.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

They do and NBA deserves major Kudos. I've been privately emailing the Big 10 commissioner, Indiana's Governor and of course IU AD to throw the idea of a 60 day bubble in Indy for Big 10 season this year. Games at Bankers, Hinkle, IUPUI,etc.....keep kids from spikes on campus, better healthcare, TV $...elearning is going to happen so why worry about that component....less travel expenses,etc...could do from December to Mid Feb (IU isn't on campus until Feb 😎 or from early Jan to Mid March.

Might be difficult to find places for them to stay downtown Indy for that long of a period of time.  Saying that,  it does sounds like a pretty good idea.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Might be difficult to find places for them to stay downtown Indy for that long of a period of time.  Saying that,  it does sounds like a pretty good idea.

60-80 days at a negotiated rate. Cities are desperate for business and Indy and Indiana is always open for business.This is a no brainer for one year. I hate taking hoops away from campuses but to me this is the solution unless we magically change our ways over next 90 days.

I will say this when I emailed Warren, Holcomb, and our AD....at least our AD responded.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Great idea. Also, most colleges are extending winter break, or at least doing online classes from Fall Break through January. They could do the entire season then. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Not a fan of Silver at all...David Stern left him in a really good position though. That said most other commissioners can’t get out of their own way. Even with all of the problems I don’t think NBA will overtake the NFL in our lifetime.

Edited by dgambill

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

60-80 days at a negotiated rate. Cities are desperate for business and Indy and Indiana is always open for business.This is a no brainer for one year. I hate taking hoops away from campuses but to me this is the solution unless we magically change our ways over next 90 days.

I will say this when I emailed Warren, Holcomb, and our AD....at least our AD responded.

What did he say?

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not a fan of Silver at all...David Stern left him in a really good position though. That said most other commissioners can’t get out of their own way. Even with all of the problems I don’t think NBA will overtake the NFL in our lifetime.

Either way, he’s doing a phenomenal job as commissioner, and is making Goodell and Manfred look silly in how they’re handling their leagues in terms of Covid and in general. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Two questions...

1) why don't you like Silver?

2) why don't you think the NBA will overtake the NFL? Full disclosure, I don't believe football as we know it will exist in my lifetime. 

• Like 1