NBA Thread

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes I agree.

Thing is he was coming off a strong play and recognition in Dallas, I'm sure he was confident he could play his way into a solid rotation in Sacto -- but his reference point was the Dallas organization and management, and Carlisle's coaching.

Sacto looked like it was turning the corner, but Sacto's front office management and coaching have again shown their limitations, and Yogi is left out on a limb. He likely didn't see any of this coming. He wouldn't have had great playing time in Dallas, but he was liked and respected there, had proven himself, and almost certainly would've been given much better chances under Carlise and the Dallas front office.

Hope he finds a new NBA home, he can play in the League, in the right place.

I'd love to have him on the Pacers, I just don't know that he'd get any more playing time than he does in Sacramento. 

30 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Probably not much more, but I'd bank on more than 4 minutes. Good point guard/scorer off the bench. Remember what he showed in Dallas before he left for Sacto.

Oh I remember and he has game, but we already have three point guards getting minutes. I'm just not sure where he would work into the rotation for us. 

21 hours ago, BGleas said:

Going to Sacto was not a good long term career choice for Yogi. He really could be out of the league once this deal is up. 

Playing in Sacramento is like career suicide. They have no direction for their players, team, or organization. Like playing for the Browns or something like that. Not just him but really good players too. Sad really. I think he will get another contract for a year or whatever but agree he needs to pick his destination wisely...maybe take less money to go to a better organization with a plan for him...but in the end their are no promises so maybe make as much as you can then go overseas in a year or two...hopefully Covid is gone by then.

• Like 1

The Pacers are really missing Sabonis especially rebounding.  It also hurts the second unit since Sabonis plays with them a lot and screens well for Holiday and McDermott. They are not getting the open looks they did when Sabonis is in and the second unit is so small.  The heat in the second half is totally destroying the Pacers and the Pacers has looked really bad.

Kuzma drills the game-winning 3 to get to 25 pts and the Lakers beat the Nuggets 124-121.. Great to see the offense click tonight! 

Really encouraging how well Kuzma has played in the bubble, and to see him affecting the game in many ways other than just scoring.

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

Playing in Sacramento is like career suicide. They have no direction for their players, team, or organization. Like playing for the Browns or something like that. Not just him but really good players too. Sad really. I think he will get another contract for a year or whatever but agree he needs to pick his destination wisely...maybe take less money to go to a better organization with a plan for him...but in the end their are no promises so maybe make as much as you can then go overseas in a year or two...hopefully Covid is gone by then.

They passed on Doncic right?  Enough said.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They did. That draft, by the way, I think will go down as one of the best in a long time. So much talent in it. 

I think you're right. Definitely looking that way.

Mitchell Robinson at pick 36 is 2nd in WS. SGA has outplayed his draft position. Ayton and Young have played to/above theirs. Luka is out of this world so far (and for being so young). Porter is coming on strong now. Robert Williams has played pretty well in limited time (1st in WS/48). List goes on and on...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cybergates said:

I think you're right. Definitely looking that way.

Mitchell Robinson at pick 36 is 2nd in WS. SGA has outplayed his draft position. Ayton and Young have played to/above theirs. Luka is out of this world so far (and for being so young). Porter is coming on strong now. Robert Williams has played pretty well in limited time (1st in WS/48). List goes on and on...

58 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They did. That draft, by the way, I think will go down as one of the best in a long time. So much talent in it. 

The Hawks of course traded the Doncic pick to Dallas, they got Trae Young. Would you rather have Young or Doncic? Doncic, hands down, imo, but Young of course is a very good offensive player.

Gilgeous-Alexander (went 11) is outstanding. Porter fell to 14 due to his health issues, but he's looking scary good right now. Landry Shamet fell at 26. I wouldn't put this up with the top drafts, outside Luca, but it's deep on talent and underrated guys. Ayton has the ability to dominate down the road if he stays healthy and out of trouble. I don't know yet on Young. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The Hawks of course traded the Doncic pick to Dallas, they got Trae Young. Would you rather have Young or Doncic? Doncic, hands down, imo, but Young of course is a very good offensive player.

Gilgeous-Alexander (went 11) is outstanding. Porter fell to 14 due to his health issues, but he's looking scary good right now. Landry Shamet fell at 26. I wouldn't put this up with the top drafts, outside Luca, but it's deep on talent and underrated guys. Ayton has the ability to dominate down the road if he stays healthy and out of trouble. I don't know yet on Young. 

I'm curious what draft recently you'd put above it? I think you've got at least 7 future All-Stars in the lottery plus plus some of the best depth of quality players from late first round and second picks I can remember. I'm not saying it's like '03 good, certainly at the top, but it's a really good class 

Just from outside the lottery, here is an incomplete list of guys already contributing in major ways:

DiVencenzo

Lonnie Walker

Huerter

Grayson Allen

Aaron Holiday

Shamet

Brunson

Devonte Graham

Gary Trent

Mitchell Robinson

Bruce Brown

Shake Milton

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Doncic. He's better than Young on both ends IMO. I'm not sold on Young yet, but he's certainly done better than I expected him too. 

32 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm curious what draft recently you'd put above it? I think you've got at least 7 future All-Stars in the lottery plus plus some of the best depth of quality players from late first round and second picks I can remember. I'm not saying it's like '03 good, certainly at the top, but it's a really good class 

Just from outside the lottery, here is an incomplete list of guys already contributing in major ways:

DiVencenzo

Lonnie Walker

Huerter

Grayson Allen

Aaron Holiday

Shamet

Brunson

Devonte Graham

Gary Trent

Mitchell Robinson

Bruce Brown

Shake Milton

^This is impressive depth after only less than 2 seasons. Doncic and Young were already All-Stars so 7 is definitely doable (Ayton, Bagley, JJJ, SGA, Porter would get it done). Have to go back to 2011 for that many from a class

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

They passed on Doncic right?  Enough said.

Yes for Bagley?? He isn’t bad but they already had serviceable big men like Holmes, Parker, and Biljilic (sp). Add Doncic to shooters like Heild and Bogdonovich and omg that’s scary good. What makes that awesome is Doncic can guard the 3 along with Bogs and they can play small with Barnes at pf if they wanted. Horrible short sightedness. That would have freed them up to move Fox for some help as well. Just not well run at all.

Edited by dgambill
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Doncic. He's better than Young on both ends IMO. I'm not sold on Young yet, but he's certainly done better than I expected him too. 

^This is impressive depth after only less than 2 seasons. Doncic and Young were already All-Stars so 7 is definitely doable (Ayton, Bagley, JJJ, SGA, Porter would get it done). Have to go back to 2011 for that many from a class

I was actually thinking Sexton over Bagley, so perhaps it's fair to say that 8 is doable plus any of that second list that continue to develop. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

DiVencenzo

Lonnie Walker

Huerter

Grayson Allen

Aaron Holiday

Shamet

Brunson

Devonte Graham

Gary Trent

Mitchell Robinson

Bruce Brown

Shake Milton

Oh I agree it’s very good, just saying it’s not among my top drafts - and that 03 draft was ridiculous. Not sure how you’re defining recent, I wasn’t limiting my thoughts to a short period 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh I agree it’s very good, just saying it’s not among my top drafts - and that 03 draft was ridiculous. Not sure how you’re defining recent, I wasn’t limiting my thoughts to a short period 

Recent is definitely a subjective term. I guess when I think recent drafts I'm thinking of drafts that still have a lot of guys playing. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Recent is definitely a subjective term. I guess when I think recent drafts I'm thinking of drafts that still have a lot of guys playing. 

Ok got it. 

Let’s see — 2008, Westbrook, Rose, Love, Gordon, the Lopez brothers, Hibbert, Ibaka, Hill, Batum, Deandre Jordan, Mario Chalmers, think that’s pretty clearly better along with 03.

Most no longer playing but 98 wasn’t long ago, headlined by Dirk, along with Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, Jason Williams Rashard Lewis (my former neighbor), among others, it’s in the conversation. 

And we’ll how about 2009?
Curry, Harden, Griffin, DeRozan, Brandon Jennings, jrue Holiday, Jeff Teague, Rubio, Taj Gibson 

Go Mavs.  They gotta avoid the clips. KP has been really awesome himself.  Curry and THJ are a  bit cold.  Maxi and DFS are getting it done big time for undrafted players. I didn't think the Mavs looked good at all until the bucks game.  Then next game Curry and THJ started knocking down the 3's like they normally do.  Most  teams treating the restart  as a preseason so who knows what these current games mean excpet for the teams battling for the 8-9 play in in the West.  

Looks like Pop has worked some Magic with the spurs.  Suddenly, Dejounte Murray is back to pre-injury form, White and Poehtl are looking real good and playing like the Spurs again.  They need to land a super star.     KP on the Mavs and Murray got like a year off after their injury.  KP actually a year and a half. Then this extra 4 month layoff.   How long did the Magic give J. Isaac?  He should not have returned until whenever 2021 season starts. Feel bad for him.  

16 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Ok got it. 

Let’s see — 2008, Westbrook, Rose, Love, Gordon, the Lopez brothers, Hibbert, Ibaka, Hill, Batum, Deandre Jordan, Mario Chalmers, think that’s pretty clearly better along with 03.

Most no longer playing but 98 wasn’t long ago, headlined by Dirk, along with Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, Jason Williams Rashard Lewis (my former neighbor), among others, it’s in the conversation. 

And we’ll how about 2009?
Curry, Harden, Griffin, DeRozan, Brandon Jennings, jrue Holiday, Jeff Teague, Rubio, Taj Gibson 

I can definitely see '18 being up there with '08 or '09. They've already got a player who in his second year is in the conversation with every single one of those guys mentioned in their prime. Obviously every guy in Year 2 is young and had to continue to play over a period of years and continue to improve, but looking back at these other classes in their Year 2 I think '18 compares very favorably.  

48 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I can definitely see '18 being up there with '08 or '09. They've already got a player who in his second year is in the conversation with every single one of those guys mentioned in their prime. Obviously every guy in Year 2 is young and had to continue to play over a period of years and continue to improve, but looking back at these other classes in their Year 2 I think '18 compares very favorably.  

Time will tell. 08 had 2 League MVPs and multiple stars. Imagine if Rose hadn't gone through his injuries. That class was seriously deep. 09 also two League MVP's (and highest scoring guards ranking in the top of the NBA all time), future HOF'ers -- and arguably the best shooter ever in Curry -- along with other top 20 or so players. Young's future is still pretty unclear. Outside Luca, none of those other guys has proven much yet, and Grayson Allen? Lol. But it's early, will be interesting to see how it pans.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Time will tell. 08 had 2 League MVPs and multiple stars. Imagine if Rose hadn't gone through his injuries. That class was seriously deep. 09 also two League MVP's (and highest scoring guards ranking in the top of the NBA all time), future HOF'ers -- and arguably the best shooter ever in Curry -- along with other top 20 or so players. Young's future is still pretty unclear. Outside Luca, none of those other guys has proven much yet, and Grayson Allen? Lol. But it's early, will be interesting to see how it pans.

Right, and Luka us playing at an MVP level in Year 2. None of those guys did. He could very well end up the best of any player from any of the mentioned classes. This class could easily have 7 All-Stars if not more depending on how guys develop.

And yes, Grayson Allen is proving himself to very much be a quality NBA player. He's been the most reliable scorer on Memphis in the restart and is shooting 41% from three this year. Have you watching a Memphis game? He clearly belongs in this league and has taken a step a a player. In 6 restart games, which may as well be playoff games for Memphis, he is averaging 15 points on 90/50/50 shooting. 

Edited by KoB2011