NBA Thread

57 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Right, and Luka us playing at an MVP level in Year 2. None of those guys did. He could very well end up the best of any player from any of the mentioned classes. This class could easily have 7 All-Stars if not more depending on how guys develop.

And yes, Grayson Allen is proving himself to very much be a quality NBA player. He's been the most reliable scorer on Memphis in the restart and is shooting 41% from three this year. Have you watching a Memphis game? He clearly belongs in this league and has taken a step a a player. In 6 restart games, which may as well be playoff games for Memphis, he is averaging 15 points on 90/50/50 shooting. 

Grayson's a role player on a mediocre team. Yes I've watched Memphis. Doncic is a future HOF'er for sure, as I said he looks like Bird to me. I don't see another future League MVP in that class. I see a lot of very good but not future great players. Porter and Ayton seem the best to me after Doncic, and they could explode. We're just in year 2, lots of time for them to rise up, but I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself here -- jmo. Another Harden? Another Curry? Another Westbrook? Rose before his injuries (he was extraordinary)? I can see another DeRozan or Love, but those guys played at an elite level fairly early and consistently for a long time. I could be wrong (though again you seem to be trying to paint me into a corner all of a sudden -- I'm saying it's early, I haven't closed the door on any of these guys), but the only guy I see right now is Doncic. Again the jury seems pretty out to me on Young, but I'm intrigued at Porter's upside if he can stay healthy (which also was EJ's issue -- he was a top 2-3 shooting guard in the League before his injuries side-tracked him).

1 minute ago, ATX_sig said:

I'd compare Grayson Allen to another duke player.  JJ Redick.  I thiink has a bright future but not sure his upside is more than JJ Redick.

I think that's a fair comparison. Grayson is a better athlete and all around player but JJ is a better shooter. I think both can be key players on good teams for a long time. 

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Grayson's a role player on a mediocre team. Yes I've watched Memphis. Doncic is a future HOF'er for sure, as I said he looks like Bird to me. I don't see another future League MVP in that class. I see a lot of very good but not future great players. Porter and Ayton seem the best to me after Doncic, and they could explode. We're just in year 2, lots of time for them to rise up, but I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself here -- jmo. Another Harden? Another Curry? Another Westbrook? Rose before his injuries (he was extraordinary)? I can see another DeRozan or Love, but those guys played at an elite level fairly early and consistently for a long time. I could be wrong (though again you seem to be trying to paint me into a corner all of a sudden -- I'm saying it's early, I haven't closed the door on any of these guys), but the only guy I see right now is Doncic. Again the jury seems pretty out to me on Young, but I'm intrigued at Porter's upside if he can stay healthy (which also was EJ's issue -- he was a top 2-3 shooting guard in the League before his injuries side-tracked him).

Trae Young averaged 29/9 as a 21 year old in his second season. Obviously he has to continue to improve and grow, but I don't think it's outlandish to compare him favorably to other offensive focused players like Curry or Harden in their second year. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Trae Young averaged 29/9 as a 21 year old in his second season. Obviously he has to continue to improve and grow, but I don't think it's outlandish to compare him favorably to other offensive focused players like Curry or Harden in their second year. 

Yes strong offensive numbers (on a terrible team), but I don't see a Curry or Harden in him. Maybe he grows into that level of player.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes strong offensive numbers (on a terrible team), but I don't see a Curry or Harden in him. Maybe he grows into that level of player.

He's 21, those guys weren't doing that at 21. I understand the bad team makes his usage higher, but it also means he is the focus of the defense. 

He doesn't have another superstar or all star around him. He doesn't even have the plethora of shooters around him those guys have had. 

He has to prove it, but he definitely projects as a multiple time All Star at a minimum even if he never reached that MVP level. 

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He's 21, those guys weren't doing that at 21. I understand the bad team makes his usage higher, but it also means he is the focus of the defense. 

He doesn't have another superstar or all star around him. He doesn't even have the plethora of shooters around him those guys have had. 

He has to prove it, but he definitely projects as a multiple time All Star at a minimum even if he never reached that MVP level. 

It’s also a different League with changed rules that have significantly increased guard outside scoring, by design. Can’t just say he’s scoring more now than guys did a decade ago etc, the rules affect that.

Again, though, he’s clearly a talented scorer— I don’t see Curry etc in him, and I saw Curry in the NCAA tourney and said this kid is probably the next Reggie. I would take Reggie over him easily at the same age. I would take Curry over him easily at the same age. The current rules have a lot to do, imo, with his output, but regardless to me he is not a guy who will be the next Curry. Time will tell, it’s all projection now 

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think that's a fair comparison. Grayson is a better athlete and all around player but JJ is a better shooter. I think both can be key players on good teams for a long time. 

I think Redick is being undervalued here. Grayson Allen would be lucky to have Redick’s career. While he took longer than normal to develop, especially for a 4-year college guy, Redick has been a starter, 15+ ppg guy, a plus defender and a 40%+ 3pt shooter for 8 or so years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I think Redick is being undervalued here. Grayson Allen would be lucky to have Redick’s career. While he took longer than normal to develop, especially for a 4-year college guy, Redick has been a starter, 15+ ppg guy, a plus defender and a 40%+ 3pt shooter for 8 or so years. 

Can't you see the similarities they both are white guards who played for Duke who most fans hated.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I may be, but I have a very high opinion of JJ on and off the court. 

I didn't have a high opinion of Grayson in any regard, but I'm rooting for him to prove me wrong. So far he is doing so with his play; I may be projecting a bit much with how he develops but I have been impressed with his play in the bubble and really all year. I think he can be a very solid rotation guy for playoff teams that add shooting, toughness, and IQ which is exactly what JJ brings. 

13 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Sounds like the talk last year when the Pacers added TJ Warren,  many said someone had to score for Phoenix. 

Not comparing those 2 situations but that was the biggest argument against TJ

3 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Confirmed. 

I don't follow the Pacers as closely as many on here. What's general consensus? He seems like he's a good guy and decent coach. Players like him and honestly given all the injuries Pacers have had he seems to be getting the most out of this team. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't follow the Pacers as closely as many on here. What's general consensus? He seems like he's a good guy and decent coach. Players like him and honestly given all the injuries Pacers have had he seems to be getting the most out of this team. 

I think he has done a great job.I  have heard a few people say Vic is not in the keep Nate camp. If true does that tell us something about Vics future with the Pacers.  All hearsay but could be something.  Last week the big talk of the bubble was that Nate was squarely on the hot seat

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think he has done a great job.I  have heard a few people say Vic is not in the keep Nate camp. If true does that tell us something about Vics future with the Pacers.  All hearsay but could be something.  Last week the big talk of the bubble was that Nate was squarely on the hot seat

That might start telling us something about Vic. 🤷‍♂️ and maybe not in a good way.  

Vic needs to get back to being Vic. When winning and his teammates are his priorities. It certainly hasn't seemed like, from a fans perspective, that the team has been at the top of Vics priority list recently. I hope I am 100% wrong. 

Nate has been absolutely awesome. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Trae young can score, but he is worse a defense than James Harden and that's bad.  Until he tries to play a little defense(Yes there is not a lot of defense in the NBA I know), he will never be compared to Curry or Harden. 

Wait why? Neither of those olay any defense either? 

He WILL be compared to those two because of that. Others he won't. 

Edited by btownqb

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Won’t be a popular opinion but I’m not as high on Nate as others — I think he’s done a pretty good job, think he’s a pretty good coach, but also think his current success is largely by who Pritchard got him on the team. Pritchard deserves a ton of credit, he is really good and revamped quickly a team I thought would fall apart. His moves were really well thought out. Nate is hard headed, and fairly predictable.
Again I think he’s overall pretty good, but think it’s more who he has to play than how well he coaches. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Won’t be a popular opinion but I’m not as high on Nate as others — I think he’s done a pretty good job, think he’s a pretty good coach, but also think his current success is largely by who Pritchard got him on the team. Pritchard deserves a ton of credit, he is really good and revamped quickly a team I thought would fall apart. His moves were really well thought out. Nate is hard headed, and fairly predictable.
Again I think he’s overall pretty good, but think it’s more who he has to play than how well he coaches. 

I think it always is though. Jimmies and Joe's > Xs and Os. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think it always is though. Jimmies and Joe's > Xs and Os. 

Absolutely fair - though some coaches get more from less. Pop, Stevens et al are exceptional for example. Look at the Raps after losing Kawhi. Yes those coaches have really good players but if you put other coaches with the Spurs or Raptors chances are their records and team play would be different 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Absolutely fair - though some coaches get more from less. Pop, Stevens et al are exceptional for example. Look at the Raps after losing Kawhi. Yes those coaches have really good players but if you put other coaches with the Spurs or Raptors chances are their records and team play would be different 

With our injuries this year... I think Nate fits that category. AT LEAST for this year. 

I agree with what you're saying though. 

Edited by btownqb

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Trae young can score, but he is worse a defense than James Harden and that's bad.  Until he tries to play a little defense(Yes there is not a lot of defense in the NBA I know), he will never be compared to Curry or Harden. 

I agree he needs to step it up on defense, but he is 21 and on a bad team. Curry took major steps on defense as that team got better.

Trae Young is the complete package on offense though. He can score from anywhere and has amazing court vision. He very well could have seasons where he leads the league in assists and points.