NBA Thread

Well the Pacers lose by 10 and lost their last 9 playoff games.  McMillan is now 17-36 in the playoffs in 9 appearances so he is averaging less than 2wins a year in the playoffs.  When your bench gets outscored 41-3 you know you can't win in the NBA.

Since I really think the Colt's will be great this year it probably means they will tank as well.  Since I really thought the Pacers had a good chance to win this series.  I also thought the Reds would win their division and right now is totally tanking the season. Maybe it is a good thing IU is not playing football this year since I thought they would have a very good year 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well the Pacers lose by 10 and lost their last 9 playoff games.  McMillan is now 17-36 in the playoffs in 9 appearances so he is averaging less than 2wins a year in the playoffs.  When your bench gets outscored 41-3 you know you can't win in the NBA.

Since I really think the Colt's will be great this year it probably means they will tank as well.  Since I really thought the Pacers had a good chance to win this series.  I also thought the Reds would win their division and right now is totally tanking the season. Maybe it is a good thing IU is not playing football this year since I thought they would have a very good year 

I’m surprised it was a sweep, but did you really think the Pacers would beat Miami without Sabonis and with a still recovering Oladipo? Miami is really good. Honestly, I’m glad the Celtics are avoiding them in the second round. 

Just now, BGleas said:

I’m surprised it was a sweep, but did you really think the Pacers would beat Miami without Sabonis and with a still recovering Oladipo? Miami is really good. Honestly, I’m glad the Celtics are avoiding them in the second round. 

Yes I did but had not really watched the Heat that much.  I also thought the Pacers played well in the 8 games before the playoffs. They beat a then full 76ets team, they also beat the Lakers and Rockets.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I didn’t think we’d win the series but it’s inexcusable to get swept. The Heat are good but not THAT good IMO. We got outplayed by guys like Duncan Robinson, Tyler Herro, and a past-his-prime Goran Dragic. McMillan doesn’t seem like he’s the answer. Very mediocre in his career. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I love Oladipo, no question, but he’s not a #1 on a championship contending team. Might not even be a #2. If he’s you’re #3 then you’re a legit championship team. As a #2 he needs to be with a LeBron, Giannis, etc. level player. There’s nothing at all wrong with that and it’s not a slight on Oladipo, but if you’re the Pacers you need to decide how much to commit to him?

If I was Indiana, I would try to figure out how to have a full season with a healthy Oladipo and a Sabonis along with Brogdon before making any decisions. You have to see how those three work together healthy. Though I’d definitely see where the market sits for Turner and what I could turn him into. 

All day long. Just looking at things from the macro. Love me some Vic....but GM has a different hat. Weighing the percentages vs return on possibly trading Vic next season is starting to be in the 51/49 category for me. Again...love Victor but I'm not sure he's a max guy in a market that can't make mistakes on max guys.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I didn’t think we’d win the series but it’s inexcusable to get swept. The Heat are good but not THAT good IMO. We got outplayed by guys like Duncan Robinson, Tyler Herro, and a past-his-prime Goran Dragic. McMillan doesn’t seem like he’s the answer. Very mediocre in his career. 

Objectively, as someone who is not a fan of either team, I would have been really, really surprised to see the Pacers win that series. Agree that the Pacers should not have gotten swept, but coming into the series the Heat had the better roster and the better coach. 

Duncan Robinson and Tyler Herro are really good players, and they’re perfect to surround a guy like Jimmy Butler. Both average 13.5 ppg and shoot over 40% from 3. 

Agree completely on McMillian, but without Sabonis and with a still recovering Oladipo, the Heat are clearly the better team. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not poking you or anyone that's a PG apologist. I sat court side watching this guy for years. It's playoff Paul. Just to make sure though. In 65 playoff games PG shot over 50% 22 times during his tenure here in Indy. Not sure where you come from or where you watch hoops....but to me 1/3 is 1/3. Not worth the hype. Good player. Never will be great. 

His stats are easy to pull, he has several times been one of the highest and best scoring playoff players, it’s easy to call people apologists when it’s really driven by pro-pacer or anti-PG angst 

Pacers were never expected to win this series as soon as it started, although I expected them to win at least 1 game.  Domas is their best player while Vic and Brodgon are the 2nd/3rd(debatable given the fact that Vic isn't back to 100% health yet).  Some things from my view:

Nate is something like 3-14 in the playoffs with Indy as a coach, this is very very bad.  Miami switches a lot and what did we see yesterday most of the game iso ball or pick n roll.  Not a lot of drawn up plays which led to many missed possessions especially down the stretch.  TJ Warren made a name for himself during the first 8 bubble games and after the 50 point outburst, however, once the playoffs started he kind of faded back to a 20 point scorer(during regular season this is good but can't have this if you want to be great but understandably this was his first ever playoff series since Phoenix sucks).  This team needs an offensive minded coach and I do not think Nate pushes them there.  Statistically he's had one of the slower paced teams during his entire coaching career, that's a recipe for slower offense.  Dan Burke is the defensive mind on this team, go get me a dang offensive minded coach. 

You have a great group with Brogdon/Vic/Warren/Turner/A. Holiday/Lamb(with Covid and the delay of next season this helps Lambs recovery time) under contract for next year, but after that you have nothing but maybe wild cards.  Should Justin Holiday return that is great, however, you still are relying on Goga to play significant minutes when Nate wouldn't give him many this year.  So who is going to backup Sabonis and Turner if Goga isn't ready?  Jakaar tried this year but he's too small to play center, not athletic enough, and well there was a reason he was heading overseas to play ball at the time he got a call from the Pacers.   

I agree with some posts above that Vic is not a max player and I hope he realizes this.  Someone will probably offer him a max deal or closer than what we can(cough cough Miami).  But I would be fine to roll with Victor/Brogdon/Warren/A. Holiday/Sabonis/Turner/Lamb for the next 2 or 3 years and see what you can get from Goga(should improve but still need a PF via FA) and maybe a role player like Justin Holiday and others.   If Aaron improves more and Victor improves and gets right back or close to 100% then that is a very solid team and IMO can make some noise next year and win a 1st rd matchup(barring any injuries). 

11 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Harrell actually is a good guy. Without the political BS, everyone in the league knows who he is, and he’s not as was portrayed, at all. People get pissed off (and Doncic was frankly being a douche bag), and yeah, he did the right thing in apologizing. 

Thats why I have such a hard time with the overly PC society we live in. In the heat of the moment things get said but had Luka said a racist slur his head would be demanded on a silver platter. Most of us want equality and equal justice yet the double standard exist on who says what. In today's world a straight Christian white male has the weakest voice and the most to lose when the open their big mouth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Looks like the Pacers management made a mistake giving McMillan that extension.  The offense is so stagnant and you just can tell the difference between the two teams offensively philosophy.  The Heat moves the ball and Ayers are cutting.  The Pacers dribble around and only set ball screens.  On one possession only one person touched the ball and that was Brogdon who brought up the court.

They actually started out ok with player movement and passing the ball but it is now totally stagnant.

Had no choice with the uncertainty next year will be his last

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

His stats are easy to pull, he has several times been one of the highest and best scoring playoff players, it’s easy to call people apologists when it’s really driven by pro-pacer or anti-PG angst 

while in Indy I loved PG. we have several jerseys in our house. Once he left I have no problem criticizing him. For years I defended the he is a Robin argument with so many people for, now that he is no longer a Pacer ( by his choice) I agree completely that he is a good #2  i live the Robin put down so much more though and needs a #1 to be successful.  Not a knock just true. In crunch time PG is not leading you to a championship,  he is good enough to get you close but not stick the dagger

Some of my friends give me grief for supporting Manning but yet anti PG. that argument is so full if holes i don't even respond only that if you can't see the difference i can't help you.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thats why I have such a hard time with the overly PC society we live in. In the heat of the moment things get said but had Luka said a racist slur his head would be demanded on a silver platter. Most of us want equality and equal justice yet the double standard exist on who says what. In today's world a straight Christian white male has the weakest voice and the most to lose when the open their big mouth.

To be clear, I am 100% for all people to be treated fairly and equally.  I empathize with difficulties African Americans have faced and continue to face.  But, I am very glad he owned it and apologized.  Race should not be uttered in a derogatory way in any direction.  What he may not have realized—and hopefully does now—is it diminishes the own African American cause by ripping on someone else’s race.  I feel similarly about the argument that African Americans own the N word now and are free to use it.  Or that race baiting is not a two way street such that a black can say something about a white and a white can’t say anything about a black (the years of oppression being the difference).  Again, I don’t buy it at all for many reasons.  It diminishes your own cause.  Beyond that, it’s not like the world is full of rocket scientists or Rhodes scholars.  The average person can’t comprehend some philosophical basis distinguishing one race’s circumstance over another’s.   The practical effect is that it exacerbates racial tensions.  It boomerangs on the African American.  So, why make it more of a challenge to improve race relations? Race should not be a basis of distinction or a reason for division in a society working to be free and equal as stated in the constitution of our great country.  I would imagine that Martin Luther King, Jr. would agree with my take.  He wanted to take the high road and positively move toward change.  To me, that’s the best way to getting to your goal.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

Playoff P showed out last night(as I expected he would).  If he can shoot 40% overall from the field consistently, Kawhi does what he does best and some role players fill in like last night then the Clippers will win the title.  No unicorn last night for the Mavs hurt.  Defenses shifted to Luka.  I think the Clips win game 6. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

PG showing what he is capable of. That is the PG us Pacer fan loved.. I can give the credit when due and the criticism when due also 

All day long. PG is very good and sometimes can be great. His playoff inconsistencies is something he'll just have to deal with (criticism) until he gets over the top. Similar to Peyton which took what seemed like a lifetime to get over the playoff hurdle.