NBA Thread

I have been holed up working on some urgent matters and haven’t seen the Kenosha thing (shocking).  I’ve read the young man was shot in the back in Kenosha and is paralyzed.  I’m happy with the boycott.  They have a voice.  It may not get them to the end they want, but I like the statement.

The bad (very few, in my opinion) cops need rooted out and, even better, should never be hired in the first place.  I obviously can’t micromanage them but they need to (a) do much better with psychological evaluation before making new hires, (b) root out the bad ones when they go off the rails, and that right has to be non-negotiable in collective bargaining, and (c) have much smarter training with consequences for trainers that trend toward having trainees that turn into rogue cops.  

I’ve defended cops in other threads because my interaction with them has been overwhelmingly positive and they do a tough job.  But they need to accept and be enlightened on not having the bad ones go so far off the rails.  It’s not good for the country, not just the individual victims.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

In some situations yes. But here's a situation since we want to keep things consistent from the NBA. The NBA didn't boycott in China last October after the Chinese government said first amendment doesn't apply. I think I remember a line from Dr. King when he said an injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere. Just seems like the NBA is choosing where those injustices are.

Won't touch more on this one. Want to stay consistent with board rules. From a business perspective only....not anything else....the NBA is losing what viewership they still have. Based on ratings I'd say the NBA is going to go the way of baseball did in 94-95.

Great point. It’s terrible anyone being shot or killed...but they don’t stand up for little girls and boys being murdered by gang and black on black crime...or even murdered black cops..in fact they don’t even mention their names...but they know all the names of those shot by cops (even the justified shootings that they never come back and clarify after it’s investigated). My heart goes out to the families involved on both sides of these shootings and those that get caught up in the horrible violence stuck in the middle (home owners and business owners whose lives get equally ruined). I won’t miss an NBA game one bit...didn’t the past few months they were off.

• Like 1

I kinda look at it like this...

The people who are watching the NBA either love basketball enough to dismiss any differences of opinion they have with the players, or totally support their position...

The people I believe they're trying to make notice aren't watching them in the first place...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

The people who are watching the NBA either love basketball enough to dismiss any differences of opinion they have with the players, or totally support their position...

The people I believe they're trying to make notice aren't watching them in the first place...

I pretty much just watch the Pacers because I really don't like the NBA game.  It has nothing to do with social justice stuff because I agree with what they are boycotting for.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think you can be incredibly passionate about basketball And not like the NBA game. I love watching my young nieces and nephews play middle school, especially high school, and of course college...but I’ve never been drawn to the nba...I follow it because I follow sports in general but I don’t especially like the product...it isn’t an enjoyable game to watch for me the way it is played anymore. I wish I did like it more because I used to...just lost its luster with me. So the rest of the stuff really isn’t effecting my viewing habits...I could always just mute it if I wanted to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think you can be incredibly passionate about basketball And not like the NBA game. I love watching my young nieces and nephews play middle school, especially high school, and of course college...but I’ve never been drawn to the nba...I follow it because I follow sports in general but I don’t especially like the product...it isn’t an enjoyable game to watch for me the way it is played anymore. I wish I did like it more because I used to...just lost its luster with me. So the rest of the stuff really isn’t effecting my viewing habits...I could always just mute it if I wanted to. 

I’m not exaggerating when I say I will stop and watch strangers play pickup ball. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I should have said "love NBA basketball enough to dismiss any differences of opinion."

I stopped watching the NBA around the turn of the century...had nothing to do with stances or politics though...

I stated in a thread in The Animal House that when I go to Philly and go to Pat's or Geno's for a cheesesteak, there's a basketball court right across the street. Love watching those kids play...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I should have said "love NBA basketball enough to dismiss any differences of opinion."

I stopped watching the NBA around the turn of the century...had nothing to do with stances or politics though...

I stated in a thread in The Animal House that when I go to Philly and go to Pat's or Geno's for a cheesesteak, there's a basketball court right across the street. Love watching those kids play...

Love that! I was at a public court and some young junior high kids were playing (messing around really). I was at the other end and I went through my Shooting and dribble routine even though I don’t have a league to play in down here I try to keep the old wheels oiled. Then after about 20 mins one came over and asked me to show him a few things...an hour later my wife is calling asking if I had a heart attack or Car accident or something because I’m usually only gone for an hour tops and I spent the past hour showing all of them the basics with keeping their elbow in, squaring up, and basically a little shooting clinic..it felt great. Kids that would never make a team in a big school down here but appreciated the help. Something about purity of spirit and fun they had I wouldn’t trade for front row seats to the NBA finals.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I understand why they are boycotting and agree change is needed.  What I want to know what do they think boycotting will do to help to bring change.  I guess I am wondering what the end game is to them doing this.

I agree.  I don't think these boycotts are going to really help anything. No NBA then I'll watch Netflix or Hulu or Spike Cohen or HBOmax not Lebron or the NBA players.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2906438-report-lakers-clippers-voted-not-to-finish-season-after-jacob-blake-shooting.amp.html

I get their passion and wanting to take a stand but wow this could hurt the league for years to come.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I don't think they really care. They're willing to risk a lot to try to fix things now. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think they really care. They're willing to risk a lot to try to fix things now. 

Maybe.  Maybe they are at least partially ready to be done with the bubble.  I don't see much excitement playing in empty arenas for a dwindling television audience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

I agree.  I don't think these boycotts are going to really help anything. No NBA then I'll watch Netflix or Hulu or Spike Cohen or HBOmax not Lebron or the NBA players.   

I have not watched the nba in years and  whatever lebron worth hundreds of millions  can continue his trashy twitter posts.  He acts like people will be devestated without the nba.lol its just a game.

• Like 1

Being totally serious how as a country do we initiate and enforce change? If boycotting sports gets it done i am  all for it. It may have the desired impact but for the systematic changes needed I am not sure after 5 months of no sports that thE general person cares enough about the NBA to help make needed changes. Its a step though. 

17 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:
17 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

IF the said coach is available one would think it's someone not currently employed as a coach?  Stan van Gundy or Kenny Atkinson maybe?  If this said coach is on a current roster that would be tampering wouldn't it?  I do not think they would go that far but then again I didn't think they'd fire Nate either. 

Hearing some interesting info that Pacers had in mind that they wsnted and did not think he would be available.  So the extension came and with the uncertainty of next year Nate was the option. Now I'm Hearing said coach is available.  Who that is I don't know. 

So based on this it seems to me the coach they want is either gong to get fired or he has an expiring contract and might not be retained or he chooses to leave his current team. That doesn't sound like a Van Gundy or Atkinson because those guys were on the market when Nate got the extension. This leads me to think they want D'Antoni, Popovich, or Brett Brown. I could also see a situation were D'Antoni gets the head job and he brings in a guy like Atkinson to be the associate head coach who he has coached with in the past if Atkinson doesn't get another job. 

The Pacers do need to get a bigger more athletic wing in the 6'7 to 6'9 range. They have Brogdon 6'5 , Oladipo 6'4, and Lamb 6'5. Warren is solid but he is a small ball 4 that can play some 3 in certain matchups. Miami wasn't a good matchup for him and that's why he wasn't nearly as good. I also think that Turner is the player that can be used to get that wing whether it's trading him for a lottery pick or a current NBA player. Yes, Turner played better the last couple of games but if you are going to play  4 shooters you need to have a solid rebounder. The Rockets have Harden, Tucker, and Westbrook at over 6 boards a game and Covington at 8. Sabonis is the only Pacers starters over 6 are Sabonis and Turner at 12 and 8. Turner also isn't a good defender I don't care that he gets 2 blocks a game. He gets bullied by almost every good 5 man in the league and even most above average 4's as well. 

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Maybe.  Maybe they are at least partially ready to be done with the bubble.  I don't see much excitement playing in empty arenas for a dwindling television audience.

That could be a factor, but they're still giving up a chance at a title and money. It's a big sacrifice if they are indeed done; one doesn't have to agree with the cause to see the sacrifice. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The Pacers do need to get a bigger more athletic wing in the 6'7 to 6'9 range. They have Brogdon 6'5 , Oladipo 6'4, and Lamb 6'5. Warren is solid but he is a small ball 4 that can play some 3 in certain matchups. Miami wasn't a good matchup for him and that's why he wasn't nearly as good. I also think that Turner is the player that can be used to get that wing whether it's trading him for a lottery pick or a current NBA player. Yes, Turner played better the last couple of games but if you are going to play  4 shooters you need to have a solid rebounder. The Rockets have Harden, Tucker, and Westbrook at over 6 boards a game and Covington at 8. Sabonis is the only Pacers starters over 6 are Sabonis and Turner at 12 and 8. Turner also isn't a good defender I don't care that he gets 2 blocks a game. He gets bullied by almost every good 5 man in the league and even most above average 4's as well. 

Solid post. Definitely agree about Turner, he is a good weak side shot blocker but gets bullied in 1:1 matchups frequently.

Would love to flip him to Denver for Jerami Grant. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Maybe so.   I have no problem with them Boycotting the season.  Just not sure how it helps.   The league and players did a lot to raise awareness since coming back.   Despite low ratings those messages were seen by thousands of fans around the country.   By ending the season early that stage disappears.   

Go Hoosiers!!!