NBA Thread

20 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Obviously Donovan isn't coming here (unless he's still available in a couple years, maybe), but it would be cool if the Pacers got him. However, I think the Pacers are going to take a page out of the IU playbook and hire a minority to replace a fired minority. Hope I'm wrong. 

There are a couple pretty dang qualified minorities that I'd be thrilled to have - although a coach like MD or BD would be my top two choices at this point. 

I hate to do this, but I'm going to do it. Toronto is a tough, championship team and they were never going to go down without a fight, much respect to them and how they played, and the Celtics certainly had chances to put them away, but the officiating the last 3 or so minutes of that game and in both overtimes was absolutely ATROCIOUS!! 

What in god's name does Kemba Walker have to do to get to the foul line. He got hammered on the last possession of regulation and multiple times in the overtimes. That flagrant T on Tatum (I think in the 1st overtime?) was a horrendous call and gave the Raptors a free throw in what ended up being a tied overtime. The overturned call in 2OT when Thies got an offensive rebound was horrible On that last play with .05 left Gasol just ran over Smart, and those are just the ones I remember. 

Edit: I forgot the play down the stretch where Nick Nurse was literally standing on the court and baited Tatum into throwing him the ball which forced a bad pass/turnover. 

Edited by BGleas

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The new board format tells me that the most popular date for this thread was July 3, 2019.  What the hell happened in the NBA on July 3, 2019?

I bit and looked. Mostly a Pacers discussion after @IU Scottsaid the Pacers should trade for KAT with a little where will Kawhi sign, benefits of signing in a income tax free-state, etc. sprinkled in.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know the right answer so I'll come here for it. Who does Kawhi remind you guys of most? He's so darn good at so many things I'm trying to peg one past player? At times he reminds of later years Jordan and at other times he reminds me of Worthy. Plays so well on both ends of court. 

Honestly, no one. I think we can compare players to Kawhi, I don't think we can compare him to anyone. He is, imo, truly a unique MVP level player.

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There were some pretty bad calls both ways down the stretch of the Celts - Raptors game. I felt like the better team won at the end, though. 

Game 7 should be great.

I don't think the better team won. Toronto played a terrific game, but imo Boston is the better team. They dominated Game 5 and Toronto came back and beat them in Game 6 in double OT. Game 7 will decide who is better, and that's what it's all about, gotta love the level both teams have played at.

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't think the better team won. Toronto played a terrific game, but imo Boston is the better team. They dominated Game 5 and Toronto came back and beat them in Game 6 in double OT. Game 7 will decide who is better, and that's what it's all about, gotta love the level both teams have played at.

I wasn't talking about Game 5? I thought that in yesterdays game Toronto played like the better team. 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Saw that. I wonder -- if Mark Jackson is in the mix (and he should be) why would the P's take Billups over him? Jackson really built GS. 

I'd say Jerry West deserves credit for the roster and Steve Kerr deserves credit for putting them over the top? Jackson certainly helped establish a defensive mindset, but his bull-headedness on analytics is part of the reason he got fired and part of the reason he never really did much with a team that won a title the first year after he left. 

I'd be more inclined to bring him in to a situation that needs a rebuild than a team that is already perennially in the playoffs but even then, there is a reason he gets passed up year over year by rebuilding teams.  

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd say Jerry West deserves credit for the roster and Steve Kerr deserves credit for putting them over the top? Jackson certainly helped establish a defensive mindset, but his bull-headedness on analytics is part of the reason he got fired and part of the reason he never really did much with a team that won a title the first year after he left. 

I'd be more inclined to bring him in to a situation that needs a rebuild than a team that is already perennially in the playoffs but even then, there is a reason he gets passed up year over year by rebuilding teams.  

Geesh it's like you're disagreeing with me on everything I post lately, lol.

Jackson built that team and got them going (of course with management), Kerr stepped into it. That's really not debatable. Kerr took it to the next level, for sure, and then built on top of the players/team Jackson built, including bringing in Durant, etc. Jackson had some reported friction but as I recall it had to do, somehow, with his religious fervor. I don't know much more about it, it was kind of kept in house. That could be real issue, but then I just  don't know. What I do know is Billups is unproven.

29 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I wasn't talking about Game 5? I thought that in yesterdays game Toronto played like the better team. 

So now it's the better team based on one game that they won in double OT with all kinds of questionable calls?? How are they the better team after getting demolished in Game 5? How is Game 5, and the full series, irrelevant?? Who the better team is, is clearly a subjective assessment. I can't say the C's ARE the better team, but that's how I see it. Game 7 will decide it, and that's  how it should be.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Saw that. I wonder -- if Mark Jackson is in the mix (and he should be) why would the P's take Billups over him? Jackson really built GS. 

Jackson didn't get along with the front office. That's why he's not gotten another job among other reasons. Billups is unproven but that's why they are doing their due diligence. He brings playing experience that can relate to players and he's been rumored for a while to get some kind of coaching or fron office gig. 

Edited by DC2345

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Jackson didn't get along with the front office. That's why he's not gotten another job among other reasons. Billups is unproven but that's why they are doing their due diligence. He brings playing experience that can relate to players and he's been rumored for a while to get some kind of coaching or fron office gig. 

Yes I understand. I'm not generally big on hiring first-time player coaches. Jackson may or may not get along with the P's front office, and again my understanding is it had something to do with his religious fervor, that was reported loosely at some point. Beyond that I'm not sure. First time player coaches sometimes work and sometimes don't, e.g., Jason Kidd, etc. The P's are whiffing lately on coaches, going with a completely unproven guy at this point is not my first choice.