NBA Thread

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Look like Brown and Smart got into an argument that a lot of people heard in the locker room.  Also saw Hayward might be back for game 3.

I'm not sure the argument won't be a good thing for the Celtics turning the series around. Sounds like they are on the same page now; these are hyper competitive guys getting close to one of the biggest achievements of their life. Passion isn't a bad thing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure the argument won't be a good thing for the Celtics turning the series around. Sounds like they are on the same page now; these are hyper competitive guys getting close to one of the biggest achievements of their life. Passion isn't a bad thing. 

I don’t know if they come back and win the series or not, but I agree that this is basically nothing. One, because these things happen, media and fans just blow them out of proportion, but also and mainly because of who the two main guys involved were (Smart and Brown).

Those are two of the most respected guys in that locker room, if not the two most respected. Teammates love them. 

• Like 1

Geez, the Lakers have 2 of the top 5 players in the league, they don’t need the refs bailing them out. They’ve taken 25 free throws in the first half including 17 in the second quarter. 

The refs completely took Jokic out of the game, allowing Dwight Howard to come in and shove and push, while they ignore it, then bait Jokic into quasi fouls.  Completely jobbed him. 

Jokic, Murray and Milsap all called for 3 first half fouls. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BGleas said:

Geez, the Lakers have 2 of the top 5 players in the league, they don’t need the refs bailing them out. They’ve taken 25 free throws in the first half including 17 in the second quarter. 

The refs completely took Jokic out of the game, allowing Dwight Howard to come in and shove and push, while they ignore it, then bait Jokic into quasi fouls.  Completely jobbed him. 

Jokic, Murray and Milsap all called for 3 first half fouls. 

That was... Rough. 

It's hard to say the refs decided a game that wasn't close, by it the Nuggets had the lead at the end of the first and then the second we quarter happened. Who knows how that game may have played out if it wasn't called that way. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That was... Rough. 

It's hard to say the refs decided a game that wasn't close, by it the Nuggets had the lead at the end of the first and then the second we quarter happened. Who knows how that game may have played out if it wasn't called that way. 

Who knows who wins, but like you said the Nuggets had the lead at the end of the 1st and then all of the sudden the Lakers get 25 free throws in the second quarter. Howard came in and the refs completely let him play the goon/disruptor role, yet called Jokic for the fouls when Howard is instigating everything.

The refs completely took Jokic out of the game. We don’t know who would win, but the refs made sure the Nuggets didn’t have a chance. 

• Like 1

Watching Celtics-Heat pregame, and had this thought, is there a team that has benefited more from The Bubble than Miami? 

What I mean is, they’re a strong shooting team, and that versatile, skilled depth is what makes them good. But, they also have a lot of young guys contributing (Bam, Duncan Robinson, Tyler Herro), along with role guys playing super consistent basketball (Crowder, Dragic). 

Are those guys playing as well and consistent if they’re playing road playoff games in Indiana, Milwaukee and Boston? I’d argue not. 

This isn’t to make excuses for the teams that have lost to them or for the zceltics who are currently behind in their series, I just don’t think Miami is 10-1 in the playoffs under normal circumstances, an I think setup is probably built to thrive in this environment. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 8:41 PM, KoB2011 said:

You might get a little less pilling on if you could give Paul George a good tongue lashing, he certainly deserves it. 

This is pretty much over the top. PG had a bad game - a bad shooting game. Both Kawhi and Lou W had worse games, they were awful. I guess we should talk smack about Kawhi to make people feel good. The Clips were seriously out of Sync, that was obvious.
Equally obvious and still ignored or worse dismissed so people can take silly little pot shots at George, when a team plays a whopping 13 or so games as a complete unit the entire season and enters the bubble Without 3 key players, who are either injured — their starting point and motivator and perimeter defender - along with Harrel and Williams, as in 2 six men of the League, and add to that PG’s admitted bout with depression, again ignored so people can take silly little pot shots at him, the team is unlikely to be able to compete well deep in the playoffs. The writing was very much on the wall, but dismissed. I thought they’d have enough gas in the tank to win up 3-1 — they were the better team, but you can’t play iso ball and completely out of sync and win for long. 
that is what happened, not some idiotic PG blaming bs, that’s just either brain dead or reflecting people didn’t actually watch and just came in to gloat. Have at it, it’s silly, it’s a waste of time to respond to, and this is a wasted breath.

Now the bought and paid for Lakers will probably prevail, the officiating is just painfully obviously slanted,and that in the end hurts the NBA,imo, but it is what it is. 
At this point I’m rooting for either Boston to turn the corner, or for the Heat, who are seriously impressive and playing wonderfully, as a complete team 

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Good win for the Celtics. Main reason was they (primarily Brown, Tatum and Smart) attacked the basket and didn’t settle for lazy, bad 3’s. 

Also didn’t hurt that Hayward was back and played really, really well. 

Really good win, Hayward made a big difference. I also think we will see the argument the other night was a good thing. Celts are still very much in this series. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is pretty much over the top. PG had a bad game - a bad shooting game. Both Kawhi and Lou W had worse games, they were awful. I guess we should talk smack about Kawhi to make people feel good. The Clips were seriously out of Sync, that was obvious.
Equally obvious and still ignored or worse dismissed so people can take silly little pot shots at George, when a team plays a whopping 13 or so games as a complete unit the entire season and enters the bubble Without 3 key players, who are either injured — their starting point and motivator and perimeter defender - along with Harrel and Williams, as in 2 six men of the League, and add to that PG’s admitted bout with depression, again ignored so people can take silly little pot shots at him, the team is unlikely to be able to compete well deep in the playoffs. The writing was very much on the wall, but dismissed. I thought they’d have enough gas in the tank to win up 3-1 — they were the better team, but you can’t play iso ball and completely out of sync and win for long. 
that is what happened, not some idiotic PG blaming bs, that’s just either brain dead or reflecting people didn’t actually watch and just came in to gloat. Have at it, it’s silly, it’s a waste of time to respond to, and this is a wasted breath.

Now the bought and paid for Lakers will probably prevail, the officiating is just painfully obviously slanted,and that in the end hurts the NBA,imo, but it is what it is. 
At this point I’m rooting for either Boston to turn the corner, or for the Heat, who are seriously impressive and playing wonderfully, as a complete team 

PG should get the most criticism. Leonard has bought himself some slack and Williams isn't on that level. 

Also, the issue for the Clippers wasn't just lack of chemistry, it was for the millionth time poor roster construction. You call out that they had to play iso ball; well why was that? Because they don't have a facilitator on the roster. 

Lastly, the Lakers are no more bought and paid for than the Clippers. Can't stand either of them, but the two stars on both teams are guys they brought in from the outside, one from free agency and one from trading young pieces. Its an apples to apples comparison, the Lakers are just better this year and have a better put together roster. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

PG should get the most criticism. Leonard has bought himself some slack and Williams isn't on that level. 

Also, the issue for the Clippers wasn't just lack of chemistry, it was for the millionth time poor roster construction. You call out that they had to play iso ball; well why was that? Because they don't have a facilitator on the roster. 

Lastly, the Lakers are no more bought and paid for than the Clippers. Can't stand either of them, but the two stars on both teams are guys they brought in from the outside, one from free agency and one from trading young pieces. Its an apples to apples comparison, the Lakers are just better this year and have a better put together roster. 

Really don’t get your refusal to recognize basic chemistry/ the need for a team to practice and play together to win on the playoffs. You just ignore that to insist it’s poor roster construction, ok,I’ll just disagree this is circular.

On PG, the only reason he hasn’t “bought himself some slack” (golly, just finishing last year in the top 3 for both overall MVP and defensive MVP gets no slack) is because the same people here want to rip him. Beyond tiresome. 

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Really don’t get your refusal to recognize basic chemistry/ the need for a team to practice and play together to win on the playoffs. You just ignore that to insist it’s poor roster construction, ok,I’ll just disagree this is circular.

On PG, the only reason he hasn’t “bought himself some slack” (golly, just finishing last year in the top 3 for both overall MVP and defensive MVP gets no slack) is because the same people here want to rip him. Beyond tiresome. 

FWIW, I was always a Pau Gasol fan.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I wouldn’t go as far as the Lakers are a better team. They are extremely flawed as well. They just played better inside the bubble when things started back up. I still think the Clippers would beat them in a 7 game series. They just never played with a sense of urgency. You can’t just run on cruise control in the playoffs. Id say last years Toronto team and Golden St both are better than any team we have in the playoffs this year...maybe even the Bucks from last year too...just like the Bucks this postseason the Clippers just never got back into their groove after restart. I hope anyone but LA wins it. I just don’t see the refs letting anyone play with the Lakers though. They don’t respect anyone on Denver and probably will be the same with Boston or Miami.

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh I think chemistry is certainly an issue, but a lack of chemistry isn't the reason they don't have anyone that can create for others. 

PG hasn't bought himself slack for playoff performances. I've probably been the second most defensive of him behind you on this board recently, and even said Pacers fans are too hard on him in response to game 7, but he absolutely does deserve to be ripped for that performance and the playoffs in general. That's not piling on, that's just looking at this objectively. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I wouldn’t go as far as the Lakers are a better team. They are extremely flawed as well. They just played better inside the bubble when things started back up. I still think the Clippers would beat them in a 7 game series. They just never played with a sense of urgency. You can’t just run on cruise control in the playoffs. Id say last years Toronto team and Golden St both are better than any team we have in the playoffs this year...maybe even the Bucks from last year too...just like the Bucks this postseason the Clippers just never got back into their groove after restart. I hope anyone but LA wins it. I just don’t see the refs letting anyone play with the Lakers though. They don’t respect anyone on Denver and probably will be the same with Boston or Miami.

I'm not sure I agree the Lakers have a flawed roster. I see a roster that is constructed very well around their two stars, where as with the Clippers I saw a roster that was just trying to combine the most talent they could around their stars without regard to fit. 

What do you see differently? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure I agree the Lakers have a flawed roster. I see a roster that is constructed very well around their two stars, where as with the Clippers I saw a roster that was just trying to combine the most talent they could around their stars without regard to fit. 

What do you see differently? 

I am with you on the Lakers.  I think they are constructed very well.  It pains me to say that.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Hilarious seeing the built-in excuses already coming out if the Lakers manage to win it all. 

They definitely were handed Game 1 by the refs, we will see what happens tonight. I think they're the best team left, just hope it doesn't get handed to them. They are more than capable of earning it on their own. 

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Hilarious seeing the built-in excuses already coming out if the Lakers manage to win it all. 

The Lakers have the two best players of all the teams left. In basketball the team with the best players usually wins. I'd be shocked if the Lakers lost, and I'd favor them in any series against any of the teams left. 

WIth that said, the officiating in game 1 was a complete joke. The refs 100% took Jokic completely out of that game. It was ridiculous. I'm not necessarily saying it's some league conspiracy or anything, but the officiating was atrocious and completely slanted in favor of the Lakers. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Ugh, bad move by Malone to go big on that last defensive possession inserting Plumlee. Immediately led to a miscommunication defensively on the last possession giving Davis a clean look at the game winner. Phenomenal job by Davis to hit a game winner 3 like that. 

The unibrow strikes again! Feel bad for the Nuggets but like with many things in sports.....guys careers are made and lost in money time. Some execute. Some don't.