NBA Thread

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

The Lakers have gotten a favorable whistle all series, not just Howard. If they call the Finals this way then it doesn't really matter who they play...

No doubt. 

A couple hot takes here.

1) I’m a Celtics fan obviously, but I think Miami has a better chance against the Lakers. They’re deeper, they have Bam to try and guard AD, and they have Butler, Crowder and Iggy to throw at LeBron. The Celtics aren’t deep enough. 

2) While I think the NBA is deep this year, it’s also weak at the top. This Lakers team will be one of the worst championship teams in a long time. They’re not that good. This statement is more an endictment on the entire league than just the Lakers. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No doubt. 

A couple hot takes here.

1) I’m a Celtics fan obviously, but I think Miami has a better chance against the Lakers. They’re deeper, they have Bam to try and guard AD, and they have Butler, Crowder and Iggy to throw at LeBron. The Celtics aren’t deep enough. 

2) While I think the NBA is deep this year, it’s also weak at the top. This Lakers team will be one of the worst championship teams in a long time. They’re not that good. This statement is more an endictment on the entire league than just the Lakers. 

Couldn’t agree more on point 2. The healthy GS team would crush them. They’re 2 great players and a lot of meh. They’re one of the weakest presumed finals champs I can think of 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Couldn’t agree more on point 2. The healthy GS team would crush them. They’re 2 great players and a lot of meh. They’re one of the weakest presumed finals champs I can think of 

I also think while Kawhi had to do what was best for him, if he stays in Toronto I think they’re coming out of the East this year and Toronto with Kawhi is better than the Lakers. 

None of this is the Lakers fault of course, they play who is in front of them, but this is not a great team Lakers team. It’s really an above average team in a year with no great teams. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Do you mean the Warriors if you just magically make Steph and Klay healthy or are you talking the Warriors of the five years prior to this?

This Heat team is special. They play together so well and have so much depth. They rarely have someone on the floor that can't light you up, which is a huge advantage. 

I think the Lakers will win, if for nothing else LeBron gets a lot of calls in the playoffs every single year, but it's going to be a really good series. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

This Heat team is special. They play together so well and have so much depth. They rarely have someone on the floor that can't light you up, which is a huge advantage. 

I think the Lakers will win, if for nothing else LeBron gets a lot of calls in the playoffs every single year, but it's going to be a really good series. 

Agree. Mentioned this a few times, but at the start of the playoffs Miami was the team in the East that scared me the most. I didn't think the Celtics should have been favored in this series. I think Miami has a chance, but I agree that LeBron and Davis are going to get ALL the calls in this series. 

For my Celtics, the future is bright, but Danny Ainge has some work to do. The Celtics are basically a 6-man team right now. They desperately need a big, a backup point guard and a shooter off the bench. Depth and lack of size were the big issues. 

But, I'm super happy with the play of Tatum and Brown. Tatum has some things to clean up (tougher finishing at the rim, smarter in shot selection) but he really developed in the bubble from a scorer to a playmaker. I think he had 8 assists in the first half tonight and he's been creating for others, not just himself, much more. 

Looking forward to the Finals and hoping for a Miami win. Partly because I hate the Lakers and don't want LeBron to win, but also my former office-mate with the Celtics works for them, so would love to see him get another ring. 

• Like 1

Just now, rico said:

Fire Stevens!

I know you're being sarcastic, and Stevens isn't going anywhere, nor should he, but he was not good in the playoffs. I don't mean the default 'we lost so it must be the coach' stuff, there are tactical things that Stevens either did wrong or didn't adjust too in both the Toronto series and the Miami series that cost the Celtics. 

I'm a Stevens fan and absolutely don't want him going anywhere, but he struggled against Nurse and Spoelstra. I'm also seeing Celtics fans getting more and more critical of him. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I know you're being sarcastic, and Stevens isn't going anywhere, nor should he, but he was not good in the playoffs. I don't mean the default 'we lost so it must be the coach' stuff, there are tactical things that Stevens either did wrong or didn't adjust too in both the Toronto series and the Miami series that cost the Celtics. 

I'm a Stevens fan and absolutely don't want him going anywhere, but he struggled against Nurse and Spoelstra. I'm also seeing Celtics fans getting more and more critical of him. 

As you said, they will be fine with a few new additions.  

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

His playoff record is .500

Here's my hot take on Lebron. Admittedly I'm a fan. Some of his off the court stuff has lessened that a bit in my eyes but who cares honestly. Anyway he's played in the social media age. Jordan is the greatest...but what Lebron has to deal with over last 20 is just so much different than what Jordan, Bird, Magic,etc....had to deal with. 

254 playoff games is the number I thought I heard this morning. 3 plus seasons of playoff basketball on that man's body/brain. Truly remarkable the level he's still playing at. 

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Love all the whining and crying about the refs before the games have even started. 

You'd have to be an absolute homer to argue that the Lakers haven't gotten a very favorable whistle in every series they've played so far.

I don't think that's why they've won any of the series, but I think it's the reason they've all only gone 5 games. It's unlikely to change in the Finals between the fact that they're the Lakers and they have LBJ. It's not whining, it's reality. 

• Like 1