NBA Thread

7 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I have been in the trade Vic side of the isle for a while but I am curious to see how the offseason unfolds. If Vic and Turner are kept then I will understand why but it will be interesting to see if there are any moves to improve the roster with the limited cap space and no first round pick. If they run it back then this is what we as fans will be looking at. 

Brogdon, Oladipo, Warren, Turner, Sabonis, A Holiday, McDermott, Lamb, Bitadze, McConnell, Sumner, and Leaf. J Holiday, Johnson, Sampson, Bowen, and Mitrou-Long will need new deals if they are brought back. 

So I'm very curious to see what moves are made and how new Nate can make the best use of this roster. 

The Pacers are in a tough, but interesting spot. If I was Pritchard, I’d be tempted to give the new coach a shot with the current core and to give a real chance to see what this core can do fully healthy (which it’s never been). 

The Pacers lack a star to be truly elite, but otherwise the core of this team is really deep, skilled and tough. It would be interesting to give it until the trade deadline before moving guys like Turner and Oladipo. 

The tough question is whether Pritchard thinks he could get more now for players versus at the deadline. I think the off-season trades are typically more balanced for both teams. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The Pacers are in a tough, but interesting spot. If I was Pritchard, I’d be tempted to give the new coach a shot with the current core and to give a real chance to see what this core can do fully healthy (which it’s never been). 

The Pacers lack a star to be truly elite, but otherwise the core of this team is really deep, skilled and tough. It would be interesting to give it until the trade deadline before moving guys like Turner and Oladipo. 

The tough question is whether Pritchard thinks he could get more now for players versus at the deadline. I think the off-season trades are typically more balanced for both teams. 

I think the Pacers would be better off by making changes this off season band start new with a new coach.  Should see if they can trade VO to New Orleans for Jrue Holiday so we can have all of the Holiday brothers.  I also would look to trade Turner to the Celtics for Hayward.  I think they have a few free agents on their team like Justin Holiday, Long and Sampson.

I want to see one more year with a 100% healthy Vic and a full complement healthy team.  Was probably a blessing with so many injuries.  Love ole Nate but he is stuck in his era.  New Nate is young enough to just want to do anything and everything in how to figure out how to win.  If that means have 3 or 4 different guys bring the ball up at anytime as he said today on Dakich, so be it.  Let's not eat our own.  I hope Vic is back to pre injury, even of he's not, I want him here.  I'll let guys making 17 x + my annual salary make the decisions.  

We sit around the fire and act like if we had Yogi, Vic, OG, T Bryant, and Cody that the pacers would win a title.  Brothers.  That's a really good set of role players on a championship roster.  Why would we try and kick one of our own to the curb?  Now if he wants max then no.  Love you Vic but I'd have to let you walk.  

One thing that I thought was interesting after listening to Pritchard on Dakich's show was that he is willing to lose a few regular season games to let younger players develop and that way everyone on the roster feels they can contribute and be ready for the playoffs. He even threw Alize Johnson's name out as an example. This tells me Pritchard was tired of drafting young players like Johnson, Leaf, Bitadze, Sumner, Holiday, and others and never seeing them get a real shot to play and get in a role that they can contribute. Holiday eventually did but only because of injuries. That's like I know people like to bash Leaf but I truly believe that his struggles were because of McMillan. He was a really good player at UCLA and then just never got a real shot to play. I've said it before but I wouldn't be surprised if he brokeout or at least found a role with this new system especially since new Nate wants to be a faster paced team. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

One thing that I thought was interesting after listening to Pritchard on Dakich's show was that he is willing to lose a few regular season games to let younger players develop and that way everyone on the roster feels they can contribute and be ready for the playoffs. He even threw Alize Johnson's name out as an example. This tells me Pritchard was tired of drafting young players like Johnson, Leaf, Bitadze, Sumner, Holiday, and others and never seeing them get a real shot to play and get in a role that they can contribute. Holiday eventually did but only because of injuries. That's like I know people like to bash Leaf but I truly believe that his struggles were because of McMillan. He was a really good player at UCLA and then just never got a real shot to play. I've said it before but I wouldn't be surprised if he brokeout or at least found a role with this new system especially since new Nate wants to be a faster paced team. 

Agree.  I think you see Aaron improve some more, Goga improves and Leaf improve to some extent.  

2 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Agree.  I think you see Aaron improve some more, Goga improves and Leaf improve to some extent.  

I just want to see some of those guys get some minutes. Shoot I'd like to see Bowen get brought back and given some run every now and then just because he is still young and has talent. I'm tired of seeing young guys brought in and they get almost zero real shot and then fans and guys on podcasts label them busts or bad players when they get a spot 5 minutes and don't look great. McMillan never gave some of those guys a fair shake to make anything of their careers. 

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I just want to see some of those guys get some minutes. Shoot I'd like to see Bowen get brought back and given some run every now and then just because he is still young and has talent. I'm tired of seeing young guys brought in and they get almost zero real shot and then fans and guys on podcasts label them busts or bad players when they get a spot 5 minutes and don't look great. McMillan never gave some of those guys a fair shake to make anything of their careers. 

That was my biggest issue with McMillian was A.) he wouldn't develop talent(Aaron was forced to contribute due to injuries and being thrown into live action) and B.) he wouldn't make a change when it was needed.  

I know there is a lot of Hayword to the Pacers talk but I don't think that it will happen this offseason. I do think he could sign here as a free agent when his contract is up next offseason. I actually think unless the Pacers get blown away with a trade offer they are going to run it back with almost the same roster. Of course there will be a few changes but after listening to new Nate and Pritchard I'm not sure if there will be any real big moves but we will see. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

He also said something along the lines that a guy like Duncan Robinson might already be on the Pacers roster and Dan said TJ LEAF? Pritchard said no Doug McDermott, hopes to see him utilized correctly.  His conversation was very telling for sure

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He also said something along the lines that a guy like Duncan Robinson might already be on the Pacers roster and Dan said TJ LEAF? Pritchard said no Doug McDermott, hopes to see him utilized correctly.  His conversation was very telling for sure

Correct. McDermott is a much better comp to Robinson so I understood what Pritchard was saying. Leaf is a different type of player. Leaf is a floor spacing 4 that can handle the ball a bit. 

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I hope we use Doug McD better - that dude is one of the absolute best shooters in the league and unlike Duncan Robinson, Doug can kill people with back cuts and will finish at the rim. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hope we use Doug McD better - that dude is one of the absolute best shooters in the league and unlike Duncan Robinson, Doug can kill people with back cuts and will finish at the rim. 

Much more than 1 dimensional for sure. I know everyone says the right things in pressers and stuff but I think the Pacers got a good one.

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think the Pacers would be better off by making changes this off season band start new with a new coach.  Should see if they can trade VO to New Orleans for Jrue Holiday so we can have all of the Holiday brothers.  I also would look to trade Turner to the Celtics for Hayward.  I think they have a few free agents on their team like Justin Holiday, Long and Sampson.

It seems every team in the league wants to trade for Holiday.  Jrue whether it is true or not, continues to indicate he is happy in in New Orleans. IMO, the Pacers will have to add to VO who now has drama and an injury that is worrisome. Rumor is they are apparently talking trade with Utah concerning Favors so they might like Turner more. 

4 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

It seems every team in the league wants to trade for Holiday.  Jrue whether it is true or not, continues to indicate he is happy in in New Orleans. IMO, the Pacers will have to add to VO who now has drama and an injury that is worrisome. Rumor is they are apparently talking trade with Utah concerning Favors so they might like Turner more. 

Favors isn't in Utah anymore. 

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No, just a joke about how many of Stan Lee’s characters had first and last names with the same initial 

I guess this does not matter to a hill of beans.  However, since seeing a mention of Stan Lee.  The mile family has framed drawings from Stan Lee, lining the hallway between our upstairs bedrooms.  Two of which were signed by Mr. Lee when he came to Denver comic com in 2016.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Ian Bagley today reported that sources are saying Pacers are interested in bringing Gordon Hayward to Indiana.  Yes he will always be linked to Indiana cause of Butler and he lives here but I feel like this rumor will never go away.

Pacers interested in Celtics' Gordon Hayward as trade target 

Boston Celtics Gordon Hayward 2019-20 FULL Highlight Reel 

Edited by milehiiu

On 10/21/2020 at 8:07 PM, BGleas said:

I agree offseason trades work better too. The PG trade for example. Plus if we want to go young and retool picks would be nice...but most think next years draft is stronger. That said Vics value is about as low as it has been since coming here. They may want to recoup some value by going into the season and showing a healthy Vic. Problem is that basically eliminates a good deal of trade partners who might be out of the race by then and those wanting to win now won’t want to give up valuable pieces to their team. 
So it’s tough to say. I’d rather get as much value for Vic now that way I can tool the team around new guys and a new coach if we are definitely moving him but if Vic is on board with the new coach and moving forward with us then let’s keep him and let’s roll. 

• Like 1