NBA Thread

10 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

@BGleas

I just don't see Danny Ainge giving up 2 first round picks essentially for Doug McDermott and Jeremy Lamb coming off an ACL. Danny also likes "win" every trade and he likes to collect assets, so again I really don't see it. 

The only caveat I could possibly see for that deal is that the Celtics had 2 first round picks and Carson Edwards on the team last year, so I don't see them adding 3 more first round picks this year. They will deal some of them, so maybe this time Danny is a little more open to moving picks to get a little more experienced, given how close he thinks they are. 

I do think if he's giving up 2 firsts that he would push for Aaron Holiday since the Celtics have no backup point guards. 

Edited by BGleas

A few notes that are going around on the upcoming NBA offseason. 

1.) There is talk that Hayword might opt out of his deal in search of a long term deal. This could allow the Pacers to sign him to a deal and possibly work a sign and trade or make a deal with someone else to clear up the cap space needed. 

2.) Vic is apparently happy with the Pacers and willing to stay but if he hits free agency the Heat are his preferred destination unless the Pacers pay up. 

3.) The Pacers are looking at first round draft prospects which tells me they are looking at acquiring a pick which is not a surprise given the rumored deals that the Pacers could be looking at. 

4.) I'd really like the to start hearing some rumblings about who the Pacers might be adding to their coaching staff. It seems like it's been really quiet on that front so far. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

A few notes that are going around on the upcoming NBA offseason. 

1.) There is talk that Hayword might opt out of his deal in search of a long term deal. This could allow the Pacers to sign him to a deal and possibly work a sign and trade or make a deal with someone else to clear up the cap space needed. 

2.) Vic is apparently happy with the Pacers and willing to stay but if he hits free agency the Heat are his preferred destination unless the Pacers pay up. 

3.) The Pacers are looking at first round draft prospects which tells me they are looking at acquiring a pick which is not a surprise given the rumored deals that the Pacers could be looking at. 

4.) I'd really like the to start hearing some rumblings about who the Pacers might be adding to their coaching staff. It seems like it's been really quiet on that front so far. 

1.) Makes sense wanting a longer term deal, especially given the fact of his recent major injury.  Prioritize money spread over a few years then risking making $30 mil this year and getting injured and getting much lower money in years 2/3/4.  I truly think he'll end up in Indy.  Only was he comes to Indy is if one of Myles or Vic gets traded.

2.) Pacers will have to take a big gamble here with Vic.  Hope he returns to form is their best shot, then you can reassess trade value or if you want to give him $30 mil.  I think the first option is best given the fact that Indy is a small market team.

3.) Myles will net you a 1st rd return easily, Vic maybe so make sense that they do their due diligence. 

4.) If the draft starts Nov 18th and teams open training camp say Dec 1st, they better get on their horses for assistants.  When does free agency start, day after the draft or the following Monday?

1 minute ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

1.) Makes sense wanting a longer term deal, especially given the fact of his recent major injury.  Prioritize money spread over a few years then risking making $30 mil this year and getting injured and getting much lower money in years 2/3/4.  I truly think he'll end up in Indy.  Only was he comes to Indy is if one of Myles or Vic gets traded.

2.) Pacers will have to take a big gamble here with Vic.  Hope he returns to form is their best shot, then you can reassess trade value or if you want to give him $30 mil.  I think the first option is best given the fact that Indy is a small market team.

3.) Myles will net you a 1st rd return easily, Vic maybe so make sense that they do their due diligence. 

4.) If the draft starts Nov 18th and teams open training camp say Dec 1st, they better get on their horses for assistants.  When does free agency start, day after the draft or the following Monday?

So with Vic the only way they keep him is if they are willing to let him walk. If you keep him till the deadline and trade him the Pacers won't get win now assets in return. It will likely be young players or draft capital from a contending team. A non contending team won't trade for him. Would the Pacers trade him for that when they will likely be gearing up for the playoffs themselves? I doubt it. I still think the smart play is to trade him now but I do see the appeal of keeping him.

I really don't know if Myles is actually on the block. I personally think the front office is very hesitant to move him but I could be wrong.

The talk is that free agency will start 48 to 72 hours after the draft and only last about a week reporting to camp gets rolling. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

That’s A steal. Basically two lottery picks and Hayward? Yeah that isn’t happening.

I know by definition that the 14th pick is a lottery pick but to me it is just a pick in the middle of the draft.  When they first started having the lottery it was 7 teams so now it is 14.

Interesting that this was proposed by the fansided group for the warriors writer but Myles for #2 pick overall, Jordan Poole and Eric Paschall.  Now i would put this at about a 98% chance that it doesn't happen but you do this all day if you are Indy.  #2 pick will be impactful right away, Paschall can be a great role player and still getting better and Poole is bench depth.  Wiseman would be interesting since you would basically be flipping a center for a center, Anthony Edwards if he doesnt go #1 and Deni Avdija wing

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Interesting that this was proposed by the fansided group for the warriors writer but Myles for #2 pick overall, Jordan Poole and Eric Paschall.  Now i would put this at about a 98% chance that it doesn't happen but you do this all day if you are Indy.  #2 pick will be impactful right away, Paschall can be a great role player and still getting better and Poole is bench depth.  Wiseman would be interesting since you would basically be flipping a center for a center, Anthony Edwards if he doesnt go #1 and Deni Avdija wing

Most years I would do this for the #2 pick but I don't see clear cut star in this draft.  If we did this I would hope we wouldn't take Lamello Ball with that pick.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Most years I would do this for the #2 pick but I don't see clear cut star in this draft.  If we did this I would hope we wouldn't take Lamello Ball with that pick.

You may want to remember Ball's father.... I am not sold on L being as good as touted, regardless, want nothing to do with that nutjob dad

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I could only see this happening if Charlotte trades up for #1. The Dubs need a 5 that can play right away if they want to be title contenders next year. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I could only see this happening if Charlotte trades up for #1. The Dubs need a 5 that can play right away if they want to be title contenders next year. 

Myles fits the athletic 5 that can stretch the floor and space. He also would be good in the pick and pop. You can’t double/trap Curry with Myles setting that screen. He can cut to the rim and he can knock down jumpers. My only issue is they likely want to part with Wiggins and I really don’t want him. Maybe a 3 team deal. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well GS also has Minnesota’s pick for next year...also likely to be a lottery pick. If Pacers wanted to reboot they could net several picks this year and next while bottoming out this year if they moved Vic and Myles. At some point you need to roll the dice. Having a 4-5 seed every year is nice to keep fans in the seat but you will never win a championship. All I know is you don’t win championships without taking risks. The nba landscape will change a lot in 4-5 years. You have a good amount of stars like Kawhi, Lebron, Curry, Harden, Lillard etc that will be gone or on the way out and the next group of stars taking over. Time to find that new star. Look at KC. They could have stuck with Alex Smith and be a playoff team but they moved up in the draft and went after a young gun prospect...and now they will be in the SB conversation for a decade. I like what OKC has done. Load up on picks...only takes two or three to break out and then build around.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know by definition that the 14th pick is a lottery pick but to me it is just a pick in the middle of the draft.  When they first started having the lottery it was 7 teams so now it is 14.

A lot of good players have come from that 10-15 range. Something you should like is often guys that have spent a few more years in college drop here instead of those OAD kids. More proven commodities vs potential kids.

Or you can even use it to move up further with another player or get someone else. Some team will find it valuable if even you dont want to keep it.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If we are trading with GSW, is it crazy to say give them Vic and Turner, take on Wiggins and then the #2, their 1st round next year and Minny first next year? 

I’d make it a 3 way deal to move Wiggins somehow. If I’m loading up on picks I want as many as I can get. Pacers though would somehow move all the picks to the third team and end up with overpriced border line starters.

Wait, are people actually suggesting that the Warriors would trade the #2 pick for Myles Turner!?!?

Wow, the Pacers would have to throw in a lot to sweeten that pot. I think the Warriors are going to shop that pick, but with the #2 pick you're expecting a franchise-changing player, not a solid rotation big.

They're looking for an all-star caliber player in return. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well GS also has Minnesota’s pick for next year...also likely to be a lottery pick. If Pacers wanted to reboot they could net several picks this year and next while bottoming out this year if they moved Vic and Myles. At some point you need to roll the dice. Having a 4-5 seed every year is nice to keep fans in the seat but you will never win a championship. All I know is you don’t win championships without taking risks. The nba landscape will change a lot in 4-5 years. You have a good amount of stars like Kawhi, Lebron, Curry, Harden, Lillard etc that will be gone or on the way out and the next group of stars taking over. Time to find that new star. Look at KC. They could have stuck with Alex Smith and be a playoff team but they moved up in the draft and went after a young gun prospect...and now they will be in the SB conversation for a decade. I like what OKC has done. Load up on picks...only takes two or three to break out and then build around.

The problem is that the owner will never let them totally tank.  He knows that if the team is bad then ticket sales will go down dramatically.  Being a smaller market you don't have all the revenue streams that larger markets have.

• Like 1