NBA Thread

Just now, BGleas said:

Wait, are people actually suggesting that the Warriors would trade the #2 pick for Myles Turner!?!?

Wow, the Pacers would have to throw in a lot to sweeten that pot. I think the Warriors are going to shop that pick, but with the #2 pick you're expecting a franchise-changing player, not a solid rotation big.

They're looking for an all-star caliber player in return. 

Not sure they can land more for him from this years draft. Also they have to be careful because of how much salary they take back. I think Wiggins almost has to be part of any deal for them and the #2. Myles has an affordable contract and does fit their roster/offense. He also is a decent shot blocker.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

A lot of good players have come from that 10-15 range. Something you should like is often guys that have spent a few more years in college drop here instead of those OAD kids. More proven commodities vs potential kids.

Or you can even use it to move up further with another player or get someone else. Some team will find it valuable if even you dont want to keep it.

Earlier in this post I posted every 14th pick in the draft since 1990 and a lot of them did not have impressive careers.

Just now, dgambill said:

Not sure they can land more for him from this years draft. Also they have to be careful because of how much salary they take back. I think Wiggins almost has to be part of any deal for them and the #2. Myles has an affordable contract and does fit their roster/offense. He also is a decent shot blocker.

I agree they'll look to package the #2 and Wiggins, but there is no chance they're doing that for Myles Turner. 

The Pacers would have to throw in just about every 1st round pick they can include and multiple other players for the Warriors to even remotely entertain that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The problem is that the owner will never let them totally tank.  He knows that if the team is bad then ticket sales will go down dramatically.  Being a smaller market you don't have all the revenue streams that larger markets have.

I’m aware but the fans are already becoming appathetic. Team is becoming stale and interest is waning after this pandemic. Now is the time to shake it up. You might not even be able to have 25% capacity again next year...if you are going to be bad next year is the year...especially with 2021 draft being stronger.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Earlier in this post I posted every 14th pick in the draft since 1990 and a lot of them did not have impressive careers.

Draft picks are like new cars, they're extremely valuable on the lot (when they're still picks) but they decrease in value once the pick is made. 

But make no mistake, even draft picks in the mid first round are valuable trade chips to GM's. 

• Like 3

Just now, BGleas said:

I agree they'll look to package the #2 and Wiggins, but there is no chance they're doing that for Myles Turner. 

The Pacers would have to throw in just about every 1st round pick they can include and multiple other players for the Warriors to even remotely entertain that. 

I think you are over valuing the top of this year's draft because there are no clear cut stars.  It is a lot like the 2013 draft where Bennett and VO was the top two picks.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I think you are over valuing the top of this year's draft because there are no clear cut stars.  It is a lot like the 2013 draft where Bennett and VO was the top two picks.

I'm not, the #2 pick in any draft is worth way more than Myles Turner, especially when packaged with Wiggins. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree it isn’t a great deal for them. I think people were talking a Vic and Myles for Wiggins, first this year, and both theirs next year from GS who own Minnesota’s.

Id be happy to move Myles for Wiggins (who I would also move in the deal to a 3rd team) and the Minnesota pick next year and say Paschall or Poole.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree it isn’t a great deal for them. I think people were talking a Vic and Myles for Wiggins, first this year, and both theirs next year from GS who own Minnesota’s.

If Vic wasn't coming off the injury I could see that. Given the injury concerns, im not sure GS would give all of those picks. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not, the #2 pick in any draft is worth way more than Myles Turner, especially when packaged with Wiggins. 

It is obvious even the GM's if the teams at the top of the draft is not sold on these prospects.  The Minnesota GM said that there is no clear cut #1 pick and that is the reason these teams are looking to trade these picks.  No team will offer big time players for the top picks in this draft.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Most years I would do this for the #2 pick but I don't see clear cut star in this draft.  If we did this I would hope we wouldn't take Lamello Ball with that pick.

Lamello might be pretty good. His brother has really settled into a nice player (not a star or top 3 pick but good starter). His dad is really out of the picture. I haven’t heard him in years. I think his boys have pushed him out of the picture and have their own sgents.

Just now, dgambill said:

Lamello might be pretty good. His brother has really settled into a nice player (not a star or top 3 pick but good starter). His dad is really out of the picture. I haven’t heard him in years. I think his boys have pushed him out of the picture and have their own sgents.

I think Lamelo will be a busy and not worth a top pick.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is obvious even the GM's if the teams at the top of the draft is not sold on these prospects.  The Minnesota GM said that there is no clear cut #1 pick and that is the reason these teams are looking to trade these picks.  No team will offer big time players for the top picks in this draft.

This clearly is not a LeBron James draft or an Anthony Davis draft, etc, but you are wrong on the value of these picks. GM's are not giving away the #1 or #2 pick in the draft for a 12 and 7 rotational big. It's not happening. 

The #1 or #2 picks will be traded for either all-star caliber players or to move back and also get a number of future picks, not Myles Turner. These teams can sign a Myles Turner type with a mid-level exception or something. 

I'm not saying this would be the guy, as I don't know what Orlando is looking to do long term, though they do have salary issues, but for GS think someone like Wiggins and the #2 for Nikola Vucevic. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No, just stating that this pick is not a huge price to pay in a trade with Boston.  Some is saying that putting the 14th pick in the draft is to much for Boston to include in a trade with Hayward.

Gotcha. If I was the Pacers I would be looking for young players stuck behind starters or draft picks. This team is a good regular season team where when the playoffs come they don’t have the horses to bring it home.

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This clearly is not a LeBron James draft or an Anthony Davis draft, etc, but you are wrong on the value of these picks. GM's are not giving away the #1 or #2 pick in the draft for a 12 and 7 rotational big. It's not happening. 

The #1 or #2 picks will be traded for either all-star caliber players or to move back and also get a number of future picks, not Myles Turner. These teams can sign a Myles Turner type with a mid-level exception or something. 

I'm not saying this would be the guy, as I don't know what Orlando is looking to do long term, though they do have salary issues, but for GS think someone like Wiggins and the #2 for Nikola Vucevic. 

If they can land him then more power to them. That would be a good fit. Also bad for Orlando. They have talent but it’s all a hodge podge  that doest fit together. Wiggins wouldn’t help that. Of course that is why Orlando is always Orlando. They don’t win trades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

This is the thing with trade speculation, it’s always so one sided by fans, it’s driven by what the fans of a team want without really looking at what the other team would demand (realistically). No way the Warriors di that, they’re far from stupid. Now if we were talking a front office like Sacto, well, different conversation lol 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is the thing with trade speculation, it’s always so one sided by fans, it’s driven by what the fans of a team want without really looking at what the other team would demand (realistically). No way the Warriors di that, they’re far from stupid. Now if we were talking a front office like Sacto, well, different conversation lol 

I’d love to steal Buddy Heild from them. How he isn’t starting is beyond me.

Most drafts those top picks are untouchable but everyone...everyone at the top is looking to move out. Minnesota and Golden State want to win now...I know they will want a star..but this year I’m not sure it will cost a star...maybe just a really good starter or former all star. I think even a hobbled Oladipo might get you up there say if Minnesota trades down to like 3-5...pockets a mid first and then can trade that 3-5 for Dipo. They clearly want another ball dominant guard for Russell to play off of.

Myles for Hayward seems to have a lot of legs to it since both teams need a shakeup and glut at the two positions. Hayward can’t stay long term given contract situations for Celtics young players. If we could get Romeo thrown in that is a nice young player that if he can get healthy would could be a star....and I think could play well off Brogdon and Holiday. I know Danny wants to be the smartest in the room and win every trade but sometimes it’s about making things fit. Pacers would probably want Smart instead of Romeo because he has that toughness and defense but I don’t think Danny would go that far.