NBA Thread

I presume the Hayward discussions revolve around sending out Turner for him.  I expect trading Sabonis is unpopular but why not send out Sabonis instead?  Boston has a lot of picks and young players and if Sabonis can bring more value back then maybe you deal him especially if the Pacers are moving to an up tempo offense with more perimeter shooting which remains to be seen.  

29 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I presume the Hayward discussions revolve around sending out Turner for him.  I expect trading Sabonis is unpopular but why not send out Sabonis instead?  Boston has a lot of picks and young players and if Sabonis can bring more value back then maybe you deal him especially if the Pacers are moving to an up tempo offense with more perimeter shooting which remains to be seen.  

Because Sabonis is a lot better than Turner

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well how the NBA us going you have to be able to score so I want better offensive player over a defensive player.

Of the top 16 (number of teams that make the playoffs) defensive teams in the NBA, 14 of them were playoff teams. I'd say you need to be able to play defense to win in the NBA. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well add hornets to the list of horribly run organizations that would out pay the Pacers and overpay Hayward in the process.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would trade Turner for Hayward in a heartbeat

Hayward is the better player, but Turner is more durable, Hayward carries some serious past injury issues with him. That's a roll of the dice -- I'd do it with the roster as constructed, though (just considering those two, I'm sure Boston would want more)

9 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

only way to work for pacers would be a sign and trade.  Brogdon is a good defender as is Vic, Warren is a good underrated defender.  Sabonis is average or below average on defense.  Hayward is worse than Sabonis on defense.  Not sure its an awful unit for defense, its at least average at worst.  

I think you are being generous. But I don’t want to argue.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hayward is the better player, but Turner is more durable, Hayward carries some serious past injury issues with him. That's a roll of the dice -- I'd do it with the roster as constructed, though (just considering those two, I'm sure Boston would want more)

Turner is also much younger and likely to be cheaper because he has a good contract. They bring different things so it’s a preference on what your team needs but I’d have to be very worried about a long term deal for Heyward. 

Hayward is a nice player but he is not a number 1...he isn’t even a Robin. He is a really good number 3 option. Pacers need an alpha...and shouldn’t pay alpha dollars for a third option. No matter how solid he is. I’d rather do a 3 way deal with the Hawks and ship him there and we get the number 6 pick along with a pick from the Celtics while giving up Myles and filler.

Edited by dgambill

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hayward is a nice player but he is not a number 1...he isn’t even a Robin. He is a really good number 3 option. Pacers need an alpha...and shouldn’t pay alpha dollars for a third option. No matter how solid he is. I’d rather do a 3 way deal with the Hawks and ship him there and we get the number 6 pick along with a pick from the Celtics while giving up Myles and filler.

Where are they going to get that alpha

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Where are they going to get that alpha

Draft him or flip draft picks or aging veterans for young and up and comers but likely draft them. That’s how we have gotten all our best players Reggie, J O’Neal, Granger, PG, Vic. I mean sure we will never be able to do what Brooklyn, Clippers just did or Lakers but there is no reason we can’t draft well and rebuild...exciting young teams like Phoenix, Denver, New Orleans is trying to build. Heck if Milwaulkie can do it we can. Look at Boston, they traded aging stars into picks and look at them. You just have to do a good job at it.

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Draft him or flip draft picks or aging veterans for young and up and comers but likely draft them. That’s how we have gotten all our best players Reggie, J O’Neal, Granger, PG, Vic. I mean sure we will never be able to do what Brooklyn, Clippers just did or Lakers but there is no reason we can’t draft well and rebuild...exciting young teams like Phoenix, Denver, New Orleans is trying to build. Heck if Milwaulkie can do it we can. Look at Boston, they traded aging stars into picks and look at them. You just have to do a good job at it.

It is hard for the pacers because they never pick in the top of the draft.  Even this year having a top 5 pick does not even guarantee you getting an elite player.  Listening to Fran Fraschilla he doesn't think any of projected top 5 picks will be an elite all star player.  He thinks those players will be a third or 4th options on a good NBA team.  He likes the players that will be picked in the middle of the draft better but doesn't see any real game changers in this draft.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rico said:

They take Wiseman

Personally in 3 years I think he'll be one of the best bigs in the league. Problem is the next time he plays a game in the NBA will almost be 2 years since his last action. Going to take some time and I don't know what or how much time Warriors have...given the injury news today.