NBA Thread

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

@BGleas you think with Boston going small in this draft a trade for a big is on the way? 

Most likely. I really like the Pritchard pick, so am ok not taking a project big at #26, plus we already have Robert Williams as a project big. 

The big will either come through a Hayward trade, or have read the Celtics might try and figure out a way to get Aaron Baynes back. 

We'll see...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Most likely. I really like the Pritchard pick, so am ok not taking a project big at #26, plus we already have Robert Williams as a project big. 

The big will either come through a Hayward trade, or have read the Celtics might try and figure out a way to get Aaron Baynes back. 

We'll see...

That Pritchard is a baller.  Good get for the C's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

We'll see...

I expected Pritchard to go in the second but I love the pick.  If he proves to be quick enough to defend, I think he will be solid.  I saw him play a few games late at night and he was outstanding at that level.  I don’t have his stats in front of me but I think he really takes care of the ball and can shoot lights out.  He’s got an edgy attitude, and I tend to love edgy guys like that.  
Brown and Smart are my favorite Celtics but Pritchard will be up there for me.  Guys that make the tough/clutch, team oriented play.   Winners.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I expected Pritchard to go in the second but I love the pick.  If he proves to be quick enough to defend, I think he will be solid.  I saw him play a few games late at night and he was outstanding at that level.  I don’t have his stats in front of me but I think he really takes care of the ball and can shoot lights out.  He’s got an edgy attitude, and I tend to love edgy guys like that.  
Brown and Smart are my favorite Celtics but Pritchard will be up there for me.  Guys that make the tough/clutch, team oriented play.   Winners.  

I seen Payton Pritchard last year when the Ducks beat the #5 Wolverines.  Helluva ball player...20.5 ppg and 5.5 apg.  I think the Quacks could have won the title last year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

New GM. New Coach. Bulls still seem to defy the consensus. 

I'm getting fed up with Chicago sports. 

-Bears: "Let's trade up to get Mitch Trubisky....he seems better than Mahomes and Johnson"

- Bulls: "Let's pick a project at the number 4 pick; when he's projected to go 8th."

What is about Chicago that attracts sports executives who think they're smarter than everybody else? I want my Bulls team back....I barely watch their games these days. I hope I'm proven wrong, but don't think that's going to happen. 

I agree.  I thought the Bulls would get smarter by getting Gar Forman out.  I didn’t like the pick at four.  I thought they would either get Dani or trade up to 2.  I suppose they are hoping the kid can be like John Collins but he really doesn’t strike me as a winner.  That roster is a total cluster.  Nothing fits, and they don’t have guys with the winner gene.   

Regarding the Bears, both the head coach and the GM have got to go.  I am sorry but trading up for Trubisky when Mahomes and Watson went later is a “clean your office out on the spot” situation.  He’s Grigson-level dumb. That’s a defining moment that is fireable and then they get Foles?  That guy is such a stiff.  It should tell you something when three other organizations have cut him loose.  He is really bad.   The head coach has no idea what he’s doing.  They’ve already won too many games to get Lawrence or Fields but you need an organizational enema to get the decision makers out of there to get it fixed.  The Bears are a core league franchise and the right guys can fix this.  Nagy and Pace are not worthy and don’t fit.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Looking at the Celtics draft it could cause problems for Edwards and Romeo

You are always fighting for your job...minutes. It never ends. You aren’t promised playing time because of where you were ranked etc. Someone is always coming for your job. Lots of hungry kids...how many super talented kids flame out because they just stop working at it once they make it. It’s why I question the Edwards pick....if you don’t love it...after you have the money how badly are you going to want to work at being great at it. I want a Jordan, Lebron, Larry, Magic with the number one pick. Guys that eat, sleep, dream the game. Want to make a legacy and won’t stop til they are great. I know the kid has a nice back story but there are red flags with people that don’t love the sport. Lots love the money, the lifestyle, the attention...but if they don’t love the grind the game itself...not sure how long they will last.

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree.  I thought the Bulls would get smarter by getting Gar Forman out.  I didn’t like the pick at four.  I thought they would either get Dani or trade up to 2.  I suppose they are hoping the kid can be like John Collins but he really doesn’t strike me as a winner.  That roster is a total cluster.  Nothing fits, and they don’t have guys with the winner gene.   

Regarding the Bears, both the head coach and the GM have got to go.  I am sorry but trading up for Trubisky when Mahomes and Watson went later is a “clean your office out on the spot” situation.  He’s Grigson-level dumb. That’s a defining moment that is fireable and then they get Foles?  That guy is such a stiff.  It should tell you something when three other organizations have cut him loose.  He is really bad.   The head coach has no idea what he’s doing.  They’ve already won too many games to get Lawrence or Fields but you need an organizational enema to get the decision makers out of there to get it fixed.  The Bears are a core league franchise and the right guys can fix this.  Nagy and Pace are not worthy and don’t fit.  

Bulls are the Kings East. They have no vision/plan for building a franchise. Inept management even while having lots of talent on the team none of it fits. 

• Like 1

Well, here's an interesting factoid --

Tom Crean is now one of just 2 coaches -- the other being Teflon Cal -- in the Modern Draft Era (that's since 1996) to produce a top 5 draft pick at 3 different schools. 

Crean wasn't the right coach long-term for IU, at least to most, because he couldn't maintain class balance, his recruiting went South towards the end of his tenure at IU, and he couldn't build consistently good defensive teams -- though he often had a top-ranked offense. But there really isn't any disputing that he identified and developed top-flight NBA players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Looking at the Celtics draft it could cause problems for Edwards and Romeo

I think so too. Edwards didn't really have a good year and Langford is an interesting case, he played better than expected defensively but provides almost nothing offensively. 

It's amazing to me that a guard can score so many points in Indiana high school basketball and be such a bad shooter. Its crazy to think that offense might be what limits his NBA career. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think so too. Edwards didn't really have a good year and Langford is an interesting case, he played better than expected defensively but provides almost nothing offensively. 

It's amazing to me that a guard can score so many points in Indiana high school basketball and be such a bad shooter. Its crazy to think that offense might be what limits his NBA career. 

His first 3 years of high school at least the games I saw he was a good shooter.  I Remember watching a semi state game on TV ehete he was hitting from 30 feet constantly

Edited by IU Scott

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

His first 3 years of high school at least the games I saw he was a good shooter.  I Remember watching a semi state game on TV ehete he was hitting from 30 feet constantly

Wonder if the constant wrist issues and trying to play through them jacked up his form so much and he can't get it back? 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Wonder if the constant wrist issues and trying to play through them jacked up his form so much and he can't get it back? 

I saw him in person at the state finals his sophomore year and his shot looked smooth.  I remember that same year he went to the semi state game when they at Richmond.  He said he couldn't believe how smooth and effortlessly he made scoring looked.

• Like 1