NBA Thread

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think so too. Edwards didn't really have a good year and Langford is an interesting case, he played better than expected defensively but provides almost nothing offensively. 

It's amazing to me that a guard can score so many points in Indiana high school basketball and be such a bad shooter. Its crazy to think that offense might be what limits his NBA career. 

Think you just haven’t seen him healthy Gleas, don’t think it’s right to judge him as such a bad shooter when he spent most of the year injured including his hand again. Let’s see what he does this season. Realistically there’s really no way he is one of Indiana’s all time great scorers as such a bad shooter. 

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Grant Hill first 4 or 5 years in the league he was a great player

He was literally one of the best players ever before his injuries. Hill probably would’ve been on the level of the all time greats but for those awful derailing injuries, but he still managed to be a really good player 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I saw him in person at the state finals his sophomore year and his shot looked smooth.  I remember that same year he went to the semi state game when they at Richmond.  He said he couldn't believe how smooth and effortlessly he made scoring looked.

Yeah he wasn’t a bad shooter he just had a bad hand injury at IU 

I have a gut feeling that all this talk about Hayward is smoke being put out by Ainge like he likes to do. I think it's a done deal as to where he is going but the parties involved don't want things to get out early so the deal falls apart because the league starts investigating like they are with the Bucks and Kings. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Celtics deal Edwards, Langford, or one of their draft picks in a sign and trade involving Hayward. I don't see Hayward wanting to play for the Knicks or Hawks in the last big deal of his career but that's just me. 

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

The question is does he give the Pacers a home town discount

He won't have to. I'd expect him to sign a deal similar to the Al Horford deal last year but maybe slightly less and the Pacers can match that salary with players they have to make the trade work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Think you just haven’t seen him healthy Gleas, don’t think it’s right to judge him as such a bad shooter when he spent most of the year injured including his hand again. Let’s see what he does this season. Realistically there’s really no way he is one of Indiana’s all time great scorers as such a bad shooter. 

No, I haven't seen him healthy, but we're going on two years here. So with that much data I have to assume that playing through years of hand/wrist injuries has messed up his shot. He's not just off a little, he's been a bad shooter. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He was literally one of the best players ever before his injuries. Hill probably would’ve been on the level of the all time greats but for those awful derailing injuries, but he still managed to be a really good player 

Yeah, people forget, Grant Hill was a 7-time all-star and was one of the greats of the game. Not just a fringe guy, he was a lock all-star for 7 years before injuries completely derailed his career. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No, I haven't seen him healthy, but we're going on two years here. So with that much data I have to assume that playing through years of hand/wrist injuries has messed up his shot. He's not just off a little, he's been a bad shooter. 

I understand -- it's possible his shot is messed up from his injuries, but it's at least equally possible we just haven't seen him shoot (at IU, and with Boston) when he's healthy. The kid was smooth in high school -- his scouted recruiting profile (for example espn's) coming in was that he was a threat at all 3 levels. He could certainly shoot, but those injuries clearly messed up his ability to shoot. so the question to me is if/when he gets his hand/wrist back and legs back, without further injury time off, how will he shoot. I'd bet money he will shoot well, if/when healthy.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I understand -- it's possible his shot is messed up from his injuries, but it's at least equally possible we just haven't seen him shoot (at IU, and with Boston) when he's healthy. The kid was smooth in high school -- his scouted recruiting profile (for example espn's) coming in was that he was a threat at all 3 levels. He could certainly shoot, but those injuries clearly messed up his ability to shoot. so the question to me is if/when he gets his hand/wrist back and legs back, without further injury time off, how will he shoot. I'd bet money he will shoot well, if/when healthy.

I don't think it's equally likely that he just needs to be healthy to become a good NBA shooter and scorer. There are tons of guys who don't have issues that can't make that translation from being a great high school shooter and scorer to the NBA, let alone a guy with two years of injuries. 

I think everyone on this board wants to see Romeo succeed, but at this point I think the most reasonable approach is to say he needs to prove he is good at shooting rather than give him the benefit of the doubt he can do it when he is healthy. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think it's equally likely that he just needs to be healthy to become a good NBA shooter and scorer. There are tons of guys who don't have issues that can't make that translation from being a great high school shooter and scorer to the NBA, let alone a guy with two years of injuries. 

I think everyone on this board wants to see Romeo succeed, but at this point I think the most reasonable approach is to say he needs to prove he is good at shooting rather than give him the benefit of the doubt he can do it when he is healthy. 

This is where I'm at as well. I completely understand and appreciate the injuries. Heck, I've used them in defense of the team Langford's year at IU. 

But again, we're going on 2 years of bad shooting. It's not like shooting where you can see he's close or the form is there but there's one thing wrong. His shot looks completely broke and his confidence is in the gutter. I watched him last year and his misses were bad and his makes from the perimeter typically caught a lot of rim before going in. Nothing is pure at all. 

He's going to have to completely rebuild his jump shot. He can certainly do it, but IMO this isn't just a matter of getting healthy. The shot is broken and his confidence is completely gone. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is where I'm at as well. I completely understand and appreciate the injuries. Heck, I've used them in defense of the team Langford's year at IU. 

But again, we're going on 2 years of bad shooting. It's not like shooting where you can see he's close or the form is there but there's one thing wrong. His shot looks completely broke and his confidence is in the gutter. I watched him last year and his misses were bad and his makes from the perimeter typically caught a lot of rim before going in. Nothing is pure at all. 

He's going to have to completely rebuild his jump shot. He can certainly do it, but IMO this isn't just a matter of getting healthy. The shot is broken and his confidence is completely gone. 

And that isn't even factoring in the fact that it is harder to shoot in the NBA than anywhere in the world. The defenders are longer and they close out faster, if he ever actually gets good at it they'll focus on him and put a guy on him that is better than anyone he's ever played against (unless Marcus Smart is guarding him in practice). 

He's got to overcome a lot from a shooting perspective and it isn't like he can drive and finish at a high level in the NBA to help keep guys honest. He has no left hand and he isn't some explosive finisher by NBA standards. 

• Like 1

Stevens tried hard to get Romeo minutes around those injuries so he seems liked by the coach.  I think he sticks as rotation guy if could get past the injuries. His defense is elite as far upside, IMO.   Seems like Tatum and Brown as wings with a PF/C upgrade such as Turner would be better for them.    It seems Bane is being traded by Celts to the Griz and they dumped Kanter.  Are the wheels turning.

15 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Stevens tried hard to get Romeo minutes around those injuries so he seems liked by the coach.  I think he sticks as rotation guy if could get past the injuries. His defense is elite as far upside, IMO.   Seems like Tatum and Brown as wings with a PF/C upgrade such as Turner would be better for them.    It seems Bane is being traded by Celts to the Griz and they dumped Kanter.  Are the wheels turning.

Completely agree. I think the Celtics really like Langford. Like you said, they did work to get him minutes when he was healthy and he played really well at times. I'm glad he's on the C's and am pulling for him to realize his potential. 

I don't think he's a bust or anything, I just think he has a lot to work on offensively. He's got to find a way to become a semi-reliable perimeter shooter, regain his offensive confidence and develop his left hand dribble. He played some phenomenal defense last year and sometimes even defended stars when he got time. 

But, he was almost a zero offensively. He would literally just run to the corner and stand there, barely ever move and when he did get the ball he would fire to a teammate like a hot potato. Now, you could say that was his role as a rookie on a team with some stars, but guys like Jevonte Green and Semi Ojeleye would be far more aggressive offensively when they got chances in that role. 

Stevens loves guys that can play D, so Langford will get more chances. My comments are more regarding if a guy like Nesmith can come in and shoot at a high level and play even respectable defense, then he may pass Langford by. 

Edit: I think the Kanter deal is a sign the Celtics are close to a sign/trade with Hayward that is bringing a legit big to Boston. I would guess probably something the Pacers involving Turner. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30354922/sources-portland-trail-blazers-get-enes-kanter-back-trade-boston-celtics-memphis-grizzlies

Celtics has trade Kanter to the Trailblazers in a 3 team trade. The Celtics don't have many big man and now has traded a center so it makes you wonder if the turner for Hayward might have some traction.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Romeo may well be a bust.  I hope not, but I wouldn't be upset if the Celtics gave up on him and he came home to the Pacers and blossomed there instead (no offense intended, @BGleas).

I don't think he's going to be a bust. But the question remains on whether he'll blossom into a legit NBA starter/top end rotational guy, or is he going to hang around as a journeyman/trade fodder guy that you almost don't even realize is in the league. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30354922/sources-portland-trail-blazers-get-enes-kanter-back-trade-boston-celtics-memphis-grizzlies

Celtics has trade Kanter to the Trailblazers in a 3 team trade. The Celtics don't have many big man and now has traded a center so it makes you wonder if the turner for Hayward might have some traction.

That's my takeaway from this trade. The Celtics must be close to swapping Hayward for a big in a sign/trade.