NBA Thread

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Right now do they have another legit big man

Daniel Theis was the starter pretty much the entire year. He's one of the better defensive bigs in the NBA, but the issue is he lacks size. I'd say Theis is actually a better defender than Myles Turner, but he lacks size and isn't the shot blocker Turner is (though he did average 1.3 per game), but he's a great positional defender and really good defending the PnR.

We also still have Robert Williams who is a developing young player, who during much of the playoffs played ahead of Kanter as the first big off the bench. He had some excellent playoff games. He's long, athletic and bouncy, while developing an offensive game. 

But yes, for Boston to be a true title contender, we need another big, preferably a starter. 

Edited by BGleas

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Daniel Theis was the starter pretty much the entire year. He's one of the better defensive bigs in the NBA, but the issue is he lacks size. I'd say Theis is actually a better defender than Myles Turner, but he lacks size and isn't the shot blocker Turner is (though he did average 1.3 per game), but he's a great positional defender and really good defending the PnR.

We also still have Robert Williams who is a developing young player, who during much of the playoffs played ahead of Kanter as the first big off the bench. He had some excellent playoff games. He's long, athletic and bouncy, while developing an offensive game. 

But yes, for Boston to be a true title contender, we need another big, preferably a starter. 

I wouldn't call Turner a good defender on his man but is a great off the ball shot blocker. I know most players do but Turner really struggled with big and strong low post centers like Embid.

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't call Turner a good defender on his man but is a great off the ball shot blocker. I know most players do but Turner really struggled with big and strong low post centers like Embid.

That's who Theis struggles with too. He's great in terms of positioning and battling and he's really good on the PnR, but when a legit center like Embiid takes him to the block he just doesn't have the size to defend them. Luckily, most bigs in the NBA think they're Steph Curry, so it's not always a problem.

Plus, Theis is a solid (for a big) 3pt shooter, but unlike what it's sound like with Turner, Theis is selective in taking the 3. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's who Theis struggles with too. He's great in terms of positioning and battling and he's really good on the PnR, but when a legit center like Embiid takes him to the block he just doesn't have the size to defend them. Luckily, most bigs in the NBA think they're Steph Curry, so it's not always a problem.

Plus, Theis is a solid (for a big) 3pt shooter, but unlike what it's sound like with Turner, Theis is selective in taking the 3. 

Turner had really improved his outside shooting but he wants to just stay outside

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Turner had really improved his outside shooting but he wants to just stay outside

That actually works in Boston's offense. The Celtics don't really post up bigs, Horford before him and Theis last year spent most of their time on the perimeter. 

The Celtics want the lane free for their wings and guards to get to the basket. 

• Like 1

Can one of you guys let me know the deal. Hayward seems hell bent on wanting to come home....and by the sounds of things they are asking a bit much in return. What is Hayward's contract status and is it better just for the Pacers to wait this out and not give in? Apologies in advance. Just don't follow the NBA as much. I do know Hayward's pad that he bought isn't a home you buy just to hang out in the summer. He and his 18 kids must want to be raised local. At this pace he's going to surpass Rivers. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can one of you guys let me know the deal. Hayward seems hell bent on wanting to come home....and by the sounds of things they are asking a bit much in return. What is Hayward's contract status and is it better just for the Pacers to wait this out and not give in? Apologies in advance. Just don't follow the NBA as much. I do know Hayward's pad that he bought isn't a home you buy just to hang out in the summer. He and his 18 kids must want to be raised local. At this pace he's going to surpass Rivers. 

The problem for Hayward is while opting out gave him some leverage, he still doesn't have a ton. 

He wants Indiana, but Indiana has to do a sign and trade. The teams with cap space are the Knicks and Atlanta, but Hayward isn't going to the Knicks, and Atlanta would seem like an odd fit. 

Apparently the Hornets are interested l, and that is a spot Hayward signed several years ago but then Utah matched. 

Its a weird situation, because each party (Bos, Ind & Hayward) sort of has leverage but sort of doesn't as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The problem for Hayward is while opting out gave him some leverage, he still doesn't have a ton. 

He wants Indiana, but Indiana has to do a sign and trade. The teams with cap space are the Knicks and Atlanta, but Hayward isn't going to the Knicks, and Atlanta would seem like an odd fit. 

Apparently the Hornets are interested l, and that is a spot Hayward signed several years ago but then Utah matched. 

Its a weird situation, because each party (Bos, Ind & Hayward) sort of has leverage but sort of doesn't as well. 

Can you explain how Boston has leverage here?  I don't understand.  

If pacers got Brogden on a sign and trade for 2 2nd rounders last year, how is this tremendously different?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

If pacers got Brogden on a sign and trade for 2 2nd rounders last year, how is this tremendously different?

Well if a team does not have salary cap room like the Pacers the salary going back to Boston has to match.  Also The pacers gave up a first round pick in this draft

Edited by IU Scott

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

First, this is a different market. Every year is different. 

Second, Hayward wants to play in Indiana and the Pacers want Hayward but don't have cap space. 

There's only one team in the NBA that can give those two sides what they want. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Thanks! Just curious how the leverage card was being played and it sounds like both sides have a bit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think it's equally likely that he just needs to be healthy to become a good NBA shooter and scorer. There are tons of guys who don't have issues that can't make that translation from being a great high school shooter and scorer to the NBA, let alone a guy with two years of injuries. 

I think everyone on this board wants to see Romeo succeed, but at this point I think the most reasonable approach is to say he needs to prove he is good at shooting rather than give him the benefit of the doubt he can do it when he is healthy. 

I would agree with you IF he had been healthy and struggled or even had a couple minor injuries - but that’s just not the case. He had real injuries that kept him off the floor for much of the season and repeated injuries - he never even had the chance to get into a groove. You just can’t say you know how he’ll do healthy. If you step back and look at objectively - not as an IU fan or a person arguing on a message board, I think you’ll agree with that -

and frankly most guys who make the NBA after being not just good in HS but one of the all - time greats in their state, generally do well in the League. There are also examples of guys who were incredible college players who are never elite but solid NBA players — to me Cheaney is a great example — and guys who were incredible but robbed of their pro careers by injury - see Jonathan Bender who broke MJ’s McD’s game scoring record —
but you don’t generally see guys who just suddenly can’t shoot if not injured - Romeo can shoot, but his injuries have continued almost non-stop since IU. That’s the point 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

First, this is a different market. Every year is different. 

Second, Hayward wants to play in Indiana and the Pacers want Hayward but don't have cap space. 

There's only one team in the NBA that can give those two sides what they want. 

Wonder if there is a chance to add a third team if Boston wants more and the Pacers not wanting to give up VO or Warren

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder if there is a chance to add a third team if Boston wants more and the Pacers not wanting to give up VO or Warren

Definitely a possibility, though those deals always get tricky. 

They could also meet in the middle. Heck, Ainge could be pushing for Warren/Oladipo simply to squeeze a pick out of the Pacers or something in exchange for relenting. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Definitely a possibility, though those deals always get tricky. 

They could also meet in the middle. Heck, Ainge could be pushing for Warren/Oladipo simply to squeeze a pick out of the Pacers or something in exchange for relenting. 

Does the Celtics still have a stock pile of picks or are they.pretty much back to just their own picks.  Actually since Hayward is a free agent wouldn't it be harder for the Celtics to high ball the Pacers for more compensation.  Hayward could just sign elsewhere and the Celtics lose him for nothing

Edited by IU Scott

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Does the Celtics still have a stock pile of picks or are they.pretty much back to just their own picks.  Actually since Hayward is a free agent wouldn't it be harder for the Celtics to high ball the Pacers for more compensation.  Hayward could just sign elsewhere and the Celtics lose him for nothing

Its a possibility, but not a great one. The only two teams with cap space are the Knicks and the Hawks. 

He's not going to the Knicks. Apparently the Hawks had some interest, but I think they've moved on. 

Apparently Charlotte is interested but that would be a sign and trade too, and Hayward has made it clear he wants Indiana. 

The Celtics have used most of the picks, but Ainge is always moving things for future picks. They still have a few. 

My bet is Ainge wants to meet in the middle and wants Holiday too not so much VO or Warren...Ainge tries to win every trade...and not just win but fleece people. This is a conference foe. You have to work together. That offer is rediculous. Ainge will likely lose Hayward for nothing because he wants everything.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

My bet is Ainge wants to meet in the middle and wants Holiday too not so much VO or Warren...Ainge tries to win every trade...and not just win but fleece people. This is a conference foe. You have to work together. That offer is rediculous. Ainge will likely lose Hayward for nothing because he wants everything.

Agree on the Holiday part, I think that's who Ainge wants. Disagree on the Celtics losing Hayward for nothing, since there are only two teams that can sign Hayward outright. I'd be stunned if he went to the Knicks, so then that only leaves the Hawks. 

I guess its possible Hayward signs with the Hawks outright, but that would surprise me as well. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree on the Holiday part, I think that's who Ainge wants. Disagree on the Celtics losing Hayward for nothing, since there are only two teams that can sign Hayward outright. I'd be stunned if he went to the Knicks, so then that only leaves the Hawks. 

I guess its possible Hayward signs with the Hawks outright, but that would surprise me as well. 

I don’t follow the nba cba like I do the nfl but I assume there is something that would stop say the Knicks from signing and trading him then.

• Like 1