NBA Thread

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah...I was thinking include him in the Boston deal if you can get a younger cheaper guy with potential who wanted to be in Indiana. Don't know who'd fit for sure but given Oladipo's lack of interest in being here, I'm fine with exploring options with Boston.

Robert Williams would be an interesting piece for Boston to throw in. Celtics fans lover him. He's a young guy with tons of potentiall, though can be a little spacey. 

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Celtics in a tricky spot. If they can’t work a deal via sign and trade, pacers should have no problem finding a trade partner for Myles that will absorb his salary then sign can sign Hayward for around 3 yr $65 mil. Or 4 yr $100 mil. 

The Pacers would have to take back close to matching salaries in any Turner trade, unless they can find a team with a big trade exception thats also in the market for Turner.

It would be very, very for tricky for the Pacers are making the moves to get under the cap in order to sign Hayward outright. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

The Pacers would have to take back close to matching salaries in any Turner trade. It would be very, very for tricky for the Pacers are making the moves to get under the cap in order to sign Hayward outright. 

The only way they could get cap help by trading Turner is to trade with a team way under the cap.  That way the Pacers wouldn't have to take the same salary back

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Looks like Galinari is going to Atlanta, essentially taking the Hawks out of the Hayward sweepstakes. 

Sounds like Charlotte is potentially in play though. 

Like I've said, the Celtics, Pacers and Hayward all have some leverage here and also lack some leverage here. 

End of the day, I bet they get something done that meets in the middle. 

One thing I know is just because a team looks like they are over the cap or up against it doesn’t mean they can’t do other moves to free up space if they want to sign Hayward out right cutting Boston out. Time will tell...I just don’t think Boston has as much leverage as they are making out. I think Gordon is a great player for the right team but I don’t know his market is what some people think. I also don’t think the players Indy wants to ship out (Turner/VO) have much value either. I think people will come to their senses and everyone take a little less to get what they want.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

So is Atlanta and New York the only teams under the cap.  In the last half hour there had been a lot of signings so other teams must have some space.

They do. A lot of teams don’t look like they have cap space because they have holds for players that are restricted free agents right now..but say Detroit or Cleveland or some other team doesn’t want one of their own players and release the hold then they suddenly have room.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So is Atlanta and New York the only teams under the cap.  In the last half hour there had been a lot of signings so other teams must have some space.

Other teams have space, but not for what Hayward seems to have been indicated he'll get. 

We'll see, these things can change fast. 

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

One thing I know is just because a team looks like they are over the cap or up against it doesn’t mean they can’t do other moves to free up space if they want to sign Hayward out right cutting Boston out. Time will tell...I just don’t think Boston has as much leverage as they are making out. I think Gordon is a great player for the right team but I don’t know his market is what some people think. I also don’t think the players Indy wants to ship out (Turner/VO) have much value either. I think people will come to their senses and everyone take a little less to get what they want.

True, teams can maneuver to get cap space, but this isn't a typically off season, that will be a little more difficult this go around. Training camp starts soon. 

I've said all along the Celtics and Pacers will figure this out, but with that said Ainge isn't just going to give Hayward up without at least trying to get as much as he can. 

That's how these things work. Also, sometimes its not even Ainge. Ainge gets all the credit for that Brooklyn deal, but Ainge had just about agreed to a lesser deal and the Celtics owner made him call Brooklyn back and demand that 3rd first round pick. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll credit Ainge. He seems to think Hayward is just a small step behind the elite of the elite. Pritchard isn't dumb he'll eventually say this talk is nonsense. 

I mean, he's obviously not an elite, elite guy, but again he averaged 17, 7 and 4 as the 4th option on his team while shooting 55% from 2-point range and 54% from 2-pt range, and he's a plus defender. 

He's pretty damn good. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean, he's obviously not an elite, elite guy, but again he averaged 17, 7 and 4 as the 4th option on his team while shooting 55% from 2-point range and 54% from 2-pt range, and he's a plus defender. 

He's pretty damn good. 

Get it all day. Good player....but this isn't Herschel Walker for 8 picks time. Eventually Danny will go I have to do this because I won't get anything back eventually right? 

Fun discussion all! At the end of the day, as I've said, I think this thing gets done. The Celtics aren't getting Oladipo or Warren. 

Ainge may get Indiana to sweeten the pot a bit, but I'd also agree that chance lessens the longer this goes on and other suitors for Hayward fill their rosters. 

We'll see. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Get it all day. Good player....but this isn't Herschel Walker for 8 picks time. Eventually Danny will go I have to do this because I won't get anything back eventually right? 

Yes and no. Depends how bad Hayward wants Indy and Indy wants Hayward. The suitors for Hayward to leave at the money he wants without a sign and trade are drying up. 

That gives Boston some leverage, but it also gives Indiana leverage because the sign and trade partners will be drying up as well. 

For Indy you can hold out and let the market dry so Boston has to get this done, but thay could also sour Hayward's feelings toward Indiana if they make him wait. 

Like I've said all along, all three parties have some leverage and some weakness here. I'm sure they'll meet in the middle and this thing will get done somehow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yes and no. Depends how bad Hayward wants Indy and Indy wants Hayward. The suitors for Hayward to leave at the money he wants without a sign and trade are drying up. 

That gives Boston some leverage, but it also gives Indiana leverage because the sign and trade partners will be drying up as well. 

For Indy you can hold out and let the market dry so Boston has to get this done, but thay could also sour Hayward's feelings toward Indiana if they make him wait. 

Like I've said all along, all three parties have some leverage and some weakness here. I'm sure they'll meet in the middle and this thing will get done somehow. 

I'm not sure it does give Boston leverage as the suitors dry up, unless they're willing to keep Hayward long term for big money. And even then, Hayward wants out so would he really settling for staying just because the Boston front office decided to be unreasonable?

I'm seeing the Celts try to assert leverage, I'm just not seeing that they actually have it. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure it does give Boston leverage as the suitors dry up, unless they're willing to keep Hayward long term for big money. And even then, Hayward wants out so would he really settling for staying just because the Boston front office decided to be unreasonable?

I'm seeing the Celts try to assert leverage, I'm just not seeing that they actually have it. 

Depends on how badly the Pacers want Hayward, and we don't know the answer to that. I would think right now it's bad enough to be at least engaging with the Celtics. 

As I've said numerous times, all three parties have some leverage and three have some weakness. The Celtics leverage lies in the fact that Indiana wants Hayward, Hayward wants Indiana and its very clean for the Pacers in terms of the fit with moving Turner as well. 

The Pacers leverage lies in the fact that even if they want Hayward badly, they can still always walk away. 

Again, I'm sure they'll get this done. It's all part of the negotiating. 

Or it’s all PR smoke to drive up asking price for Hayward by his agent or from the Celtics to get more from another team. He might be willing to go other places in a sign and trade if the money is right. Sometimes the obvious fit is the right fit...sometimes we aren’t getting the whole story. This one almost makes too much sense.

• Like 1