NBA Thread

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

So what do you guys think, do the Pacers stand pat or look to move Turner somewhere else?

I think they’re in the market but need the right fit. Pritchard is doing a good job all around, the players he’s been bringing in have been good fits. I don’t think they’ll just move Turner but they’re still looking imo 

• Like 1

My opinion...Gordon Hayward just used Indiana twice to get a huge payday! He passed on the Pacers twice for bigger paydays...and more power to him. Generational wealth right there to play a game. He can come retire and live 60 years in Indiana after he is done playing. Why give up 120 million to start 4 years sooner? I think he used the Pacers to run up the price on the Hornets. I never thought he would get that much. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think they’re in the market but need the right fit. Pritchard is doing a good job all around, the players he’s been bringing in have been good fits. I don’t think they’ll just move Turner but they’re still looking imo 

Will be interesting to see how that plays out. I agree with most that Turner/Sabonis aren't a great fit together, but I also said once Indiana got their coach that if I was them I would have sat tight and let it play out for a year. 

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My opinion...Gordon Hayward just used Indiana twice to get a huge payday! He passed on the Pacers twice for bigger paydays...and more power to him. Generational wealth right there to play a game. He can come retire and live 60 years in Indiana after he is done playing. Why give up 120 million to start 4 years sooner? I think he used the Pacers to run up the price on the Hornets. I never thought he would get that much. 

That's what I'm saying. We can blame Ainge, and sure he holds some of it, as do the Pacers, but the bottom line is if Hayward wanted Indiana that bad he would be in Indiana. Boston and the Pacers would have eventually figured something out, but Hayward chose the cash. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Pacers couldn’t afford that contract...heck Hornets can’t. That would hamstring them forever. We all read this one wrong but to be honest I was expecting 4-100 millionish type contract. Pacers will let their new coach try to reistsblish value for Vic and Turner and then move them.

That's what I'm thinking.  

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's what I'm saying. We can blame Ainge, and sure he holds some of it, as do the Pacers, but the bottom line is if Hayward wanted Indiana that bad he would be in Indiana. Boston and the Pacers would have eventually figured something out, but Hayward chose the cash. 

Yeah I get it. I think all the talk in the news was just to drive up his price. He played Charlotte. Just takes one....the stuff about wanting Vic etc I think is smoke screen for Pacers and Boston to save face with their fans...see no way we couldn’t get that trade done when really it’s about money that neither side could or would match.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Pacers couldn’t afford that contract...heck Hornets can’t. That would hamstring them forever. We all read this one wrong but to be honest I was expecting 4-100 millionish type contract. Pacers will let their new coach try to reistsblish value for Vic and Turner and then move them.

Completely agree. Indiana would have been stupid to match Charlotte's offer. The misread by everyone was how bad Hayward wanted to go to Indiana. He prefered the Pacers if they offerend the most money, but the second someone outbid them he was gone. 

• Like 1

Boston though has not gotten better...let’s be real @BGleas they are measurably less potent. Losing Hayward doesn’t really open up cap space because they were over to begin with. They have to get better from within. They are not better than Miami...nor Toronto and I’m not sure what Milwaulkie will end up with but likely not them. Boston has taken a step back. Now...they might get better in a couple years but this one is a tough pill to swallow for both sides....but Boston had more expectations for this year. I’m sure their fans aren’t happy. I went to the Pacers board and they are generally happy and haven’t wanted Gordon all along but thought it would be a Bird type move to give up a bunch to get him. Pritchard just made a bunch of fans today by not making this deal. Not saying fans are happy means anything about if it would have improved us but they aren’t sad one bit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. Indiana would have been stupid to match Charlotte's offer. The misread by everyone was how bad Hayward wanted to go to Indiana. He prefered the Pacers if they offerend the most money, but the second someone outbid them he was gone. 

Do you think he preferred them? I doubt he would have even given them 4-116. I think it was shrewd of him and his agent...involving Pacers was only to drive up his price. And I would have done the same thing if I was him. I’ve got my whole life to live in Indiana. I can wait 4 years lol. Heck I could live in Indiana right now but I’m in SWFL....lol it’s about the $$ lol....but really my daughter and giving her a better life. I’d gladly sacrifice my deer hunting and friends to give her more opportunities.

Edited by dgambill

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Boston though has not gotten better...let’s be real @BGleas they are measurably less potent. Losing Hayward doesn’t really open up cap space because they were over to begin with. They have to get better from within. They are not better than Miami...nor Toronto and I’m not sure what Milwaulkie will end up with but likely not them. Boston has taken a step back. Now...they might get better in a couple years but this one is a tough pill to swallow for both sides....but Boston had more expectations for this year. I’m sure their fans aren’t happy. I went to the Pacers board and they are generally happy and haven’t wanted Gordon all along but thought it would be a Bird type move to give up a bunch to get him. Pritchard just made a bunch of fans today by not making this deal. Not saying fans are happy means anything about if it would have improved us but they aren’t sad one bit.

I'm not ready to say that yet. Let's see what other moves Boston makes. They still have the MLE and can bring in one player with that or split it for two guys. This is not me saying losing Hayward for nothing was good. Not saying that, but the moves and deals aren't over yet. 

People thought Boston was going to take a step back last year after losing Horford and Kyrie and they were much better. I don't see how we're worse than Toronto? We beat Toronto in the playoffs without Hayward and Toronto lost Gasol and looks like they're going to lose Ibaka. 

Milwaukee is a question mark too. They gave up a lot for Jrue Holiday and then the Bogdanovich deal fell through. Even Miami I'm not sure about. I said all during the bubble that I felt they benefited the more than any other team from not having fans. They have one star and then role players and role players are impacted by home/road the most. 

I'm not saying Boston is the favorite or anything, but lots of those teams have question marks, and Boston was always going to be about Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart and what goes around them. Tatum looks like a legit superstar and Brown looks like an All-Star. Boston will be competitive, but Ainge has to add some depth. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not ready to say that yet. Let's see what other moves Boston makes. They still have the MLE and can bring in one player with that or split it for two guys. This is not me saying losing Hayward for nothing was good. Not saying that, but the moves and deals aren't over yet. 

People thought Boston was going to take a step back last year after losing Horford and Kyrie and they were much better. I don't see how we're worse than Toronto? We beat Toronto in the playoffs without Hayward and Toronto lost Gasol and looks like they're going to lose Ibaka. 

Milwaukee is a question mark too. They gave up a lot for Jrue Holiday and then the Bogdanovich deal fell through. Even Miami I'm not sure about. I said all during the bubble that I felt they benefited the more than any other team from not having fans. They have one star and then role players and role players are impacted by home/road the most. 

I'm not saying Boston is the favorite or anything, but lots of those teams have question marks, and Boston was always going to be about Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart and what goes around them. Tatum looks like a legit superstar and Brown looks like an All-Star. Boston will be competitive, but Ainge has to add some depth. 

You love your team....as it should be. Time will tell. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

You love your team....as it should be. Time will tell. Time will tell.

Yes it will. I don't think I said anything there that is all that homerish? We beat Toronto in the playoffs without Hayward (he was injured) and Toronto lost Gasol and is losing Ibaka. How have they gotten any better? Boston has the best player on the floor between those two teams and still has Brown, Kemba and Smart. 

Milwaukee is a question mark and has the chance to implode a bit if Giannis gets unhappy. Miami is really good obviously and I'd expect them to improve, but again I also think the bubble helped them. 

We'll see. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yes it will. I don't think I said anything there that is all that homerish? We beat Toronto in the playoffs without Hayward (he was injured) and Toronto lost Gasol and is losing Ibaka. How have they gotten any better? Boston has the best player on the floor between those two teams and still has Brown, Kemba and Smart. 

Milwaukee is a question mark and has the chance to implode a bit if Giannis gets unhappy. Miami is really good obviously and I'd expect them to improve, but again I also think the bubble helped them. 

We'll see. 

Well I didn’t even mention NJ but I despise Kyrie that much. You won the series over Toronto...but I just trust that team to get themselves into a better position. I really like how they’ve grown their players and gotten better. Maybe you will be. The Heat...uh no. It would take some major injuries to leap frog them. Good luck. I know you like your guys but there is something I just don’t like about the fits of Tatum, Brown, Walker. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I assume the rest of the off season for Pacers fans will be quiet.  They have little room under the cap to bring in significant player.  We have signed Holiday which is good but we could use some help on the wing and another PF.

Yeah I don’t see a trade now. We will see...we know there is good reasons for a trade but Pritchard won’t move guys just to move them.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well I didn’t even mention NJ but I despise Kyrie that much. You won the series over Toronto...but I just trust that team to get themselves into a better position. I really like how they’ve grown their players and gotten better. Maybe you will be. The Heat...uh no. It would take some major injuries to leap frog them. Good luck. I know you like your guys but there is something I just don’t like about the fits of Tatum, Brown, Walker. 

But I mean, we were already better than Toronto without Hayward and they've lost key guys too and haven't brought in anybody new? When Boston plays Toronto we have the best player on the floor and if Jaylen Brown continues developing and Lowery ages, you can argue the two best players (I say this because Siakim completely disappeared in the playoffs). 

Tatum and Brown fit great together. I'll give you Kemba, when healthy he's a really good fit offensively and in the locker room, but he's a negative defensively. Boston needs to add interior depth, PG depth and scoring off the bench. 

Edited by BGleas

Just now, BGleas said:

But I mean, we were already better than Toronto without Hayward and they've lost key guys too and haven't brought in anybody new? When Boston plays Toronto we have the best player on the floor and if Jaylen Brown continues developing and Lowery ages, you can argue the two best players. 

Tatum and Brown fit great together. I'll give you Kemba, when healthy he's a really good fit offensively and in the locker room, but he's a negative defensively. Boston needs to add interior depth, PG depth and scoring off the bench. 

So by that definition you can’t be better than the Heat. Brown is not better than Siakam...and maybe not better than OG. They continue to get better and I just am not huge on Brown.  Losing both Ibaka and Gasol would change my mind. Not sure what will happen with Serge.

Just now, dgambill said:

So by that definition you can’t be better than the Heat. Brown is not better than Siakam...and maybe not better than OG. They continue to get better and I just am not huge on Brown.  Losing both Ibaka and Gasol would change my mind. Not sure what will happen with Serge.

Brown is significantly better than OG, it's not even remotely close. Brown also completely outplayed Siakim in their playoff series. 

On the Heat, I'm saying I need to see them play like that outside of the bubble. I believe they were the 5 seed in the East, and then they got hot in the bubble. We've seen what Tatum, Brown, etc. can do during a normal season. 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I'd move him if we can get a quality 3/4 guy that can start, but if not keep him. 

I agree. I don't love the Sabonis/Turner fit, but at the same time the Pacers never got a chance to see their full compliment last year. I'd give this coach a chance to have a healthy Brogdon, Oladipo, Warren, Sabonis and Turner and see how he does with it. That's a solid 5 and either it works or maybe you can drive up value for Oladipo and Turner. 

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saw the Pacers were 4 for 100 mil so I guess I don't blame Hayward for taking the extra 20 million

Hold up.... You don't blame a guy who has already made hundreds of millions but you blame kids who are often from rough situations for setting their families up for life?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2