NBA Thread

Golden State will be one of the intriguing stories of the year.  They still have Steph and Draymond and a top 3 coach in Kerr along with Pop and Spo.  Steph is in the media warning everyone that he’s been ignited by the naysayers. 

Steph’s legacy can be impacted by how he carries them. He’s a brilliant shooter and a hall of famer.  He really can help his resume by leading this squad to 50 wins. 

14 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Golden State will be one of the intriguing stories of the year.  They still have Steph and Draymond and a top 3 coach in Kerr along with Pop and Spo.  Steph is in the media warning everyone that he’s been ignited by the naysayers. 

Steph’s legacy can be impacted by how he carries them. He’s a brilliant shooter and a hall of famer.  He really can help his resume by leading this squad to 50 wins. s 

Steph is one of the game's best all-time shooters and lead guards. That said, with Klay's really unfortunate injury, I think GS's time has come and gone. Steph said some of the same things last year before his season-ending injury. The team doesn't have the pieces any more, and Draymond was exposed for what he really is -- a strong complimentary player who needs guys like Klay et al. on the perimeter in order to play to his game. Without them, he's average. 

15 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Steph’s legacy can be impacted by how he carries them. He’s a brilliant shooter and a hall of famer.  He really can help his resume by leading this squad to 50 wins. 

Oubre will be a great pickup I think. That said they need to move Wiggins and maybe their 9 million exception to bring in another star or veteran to be anything more than a 7-8 seed. I think with Klays injury they will keep the Minnesota pick. Very good chance it still ends up a lottery pick and next years draft is full of great wings that can help offset the inevitable decline that will come with all of Klays injuries and age.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Well that seems like a Boston publication that thinks this may be a bad one for Ainge 🙃

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Saw another article where a national guy thought the Celtics should have taken the offer as well.

Zach Lowe said on his podcast that the Celtics and Ainge were never that high on Myles Turner and also weren't high on adding the remainder of his $80M contract to the books. Lowe said that in the event the Celtics did work something out with Indiana, they already were scoping the market to flip him. 

If Ainge was super high on Turner he would have taken that deal and this would be done. But I said this earlier in the thread, the way everything went down it tells me Ainge never really wanted Turner that much and they felt they had no need for McDermott, so to get a deal done was going to take more. 

It is true, there are a lot of Celtics fans and some media that think Ainge failed miserably here. I think that is mostly people that are just looking at this from the surface and not digging into the details. There is a ton of detail in this. I'm not saying Turner is bad or anything, but it does seems the market on him isn't great, and I'd say with a much cheaper and shorter deal, the Celtics actually made out better with Thompson/Teague over Turner/McDermott. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/gordon-hayward-myles-turner-and-the-celtics-failed-sign-and-trade-that-could-end-up-being-a-big-mistake/

I think at the end of the day, the Celtics didn't love Turner and really didn't love his contract, considering they have Tatum, Brown, Smart and Kemba all locked up for big money long term. Thompson brings some things on the court that Turner doesn't, and he brings a much, much more flexible contract.  

Edited by BGleas

IMO it comes down to how Turner has been eaten up by the best bigs in the league. Bam ate his lunch...Embid kills him....now he is a good help defender and he definitely can help space the offense with his shooting. His contract isn’t bad for what he is honestly...but if you are a team over the cap every $ is magnified. Thompson gives you much better rebounding and gets a lot of garbage hustle points. Doesn’t need the ball. That said he doesn’t space the floor and I’m not sure he is much a danger in pick in roll. It’s obvious Ainge doesn’t love Myles...or the deal would have gotten done...Danny loves him some 1st rd picks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

IMO it comes down to how Turner has been eaten up by the best bigs in the league. Bam ate his lunch...Embid kills him....now he is a good help defender and he definitely can help space the offense with his shooting. His contract isn’t bad for what he is honestly...but if you are a team over the cap every $ is magnified. Thompson gives you much better rebounding and gets a lot of garbage hustle points. Doesn’t need the ball. That said he doesn’t space the floor and I’m not sure he is much a danger in pick in roll. It’s obvious Ainge doesn’t love Myles...or the deal would have gotten done...Danny loves him some 1st rd picks.

Agree Thompson doesn't space the floor. As far as the PnR, I saw a stat the other day called screen assists and Thompson has been in the top 10 in the NBA in screen assists in 3 of the last 4 years. So I don't know how he effective he is specifically as a roller in the PnR, but he is one of the best screeners in the NBA, which could be a huge thing as the Celtics are high in the league in ball screens. They're constantly screening for Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart. 

I think at the end of the day, Ainge didn't love Turner overall (lack of rebounding, not a great post defender, etc.) and definitely didn't love adding someone with 3 years and $54M left on his contract, when Boston already has big money and years tied into Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart. That would have been a lot of money for 5 guys. 

Thompson brings a lot of positives and does it on a very team-friendly two year deal at a lot less money. We can argue if Ainge screwed up or not, but I think with Thompson/Teague and if Ainge gets a S&T with Charlotte, then I think it's hard to argue the Celtics didn't do the right thing.  

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Howard Bison shutting down Makur Maker indefinitely with groin injury (espn.com)

So much for the 5 star player at Howard.  Saying being shut down for injury but wonder whose decision that is.  Maybe Maker does not want to risk his draft status

Big red flag...first pass on playing real competition then he shuts it down...major pass from me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He’ll never get much love from IU fans, IU was just a stopover for him on his way to the NBA, but I can’t ever fault a guy who chases his dream and succeeds. He’s a solid pro who has stuck in the League. 

Yeah I’m not going to question that. It’s a risk we took taking a known OAD guy that didn’t have some close ties to the program. I’d say he has been underwhelming for a lottery pick in the pros...but certainly made a lot of money.

To close the loop...The Celtics did a S&T with Charlotte and got the biggest trade exception ($28.5M) in history. There are a ton more details and stipulations that go into a trade exception, but high level they can basically trade for a player or two that equal that salary or sign a free agent that equals that salary over the next year. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

To close the loop...The Celtics did a S&T with Charlotte and got the biggest trade exception ($28.5M) in history. There are a ton more details and stipulations that go into a trade exception, but high level they can basically trade for a player or two that equal that salary or sign a free agent that equals that salary over the next year. 

Any ideas on who they may target?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Any ideas on who they may target?

Too early to tell. They have an entire year to use it before it expires, and could even break it up into two different players. I'd think free agency next year is the best bet, but you never know.  

I don't think he fits, but Tatum and Bradley Beal are really good friends (both from St. Louis) and I could see him demanding out of Washington. 

Maybe a guy like Buddy Hield, or a Gobert if the relationship between he and Donovan Mitchell is still sour?

I'm just making names up here though.

Edit: Was reading more, Beal does not fit into the trade exception, also it's more likely that it gets broken into two smaller deals, say someone like George Hill and then another vet player next off-season. Stuff like that.  

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reality is that unless you overpay you can't make deals with Ainge in Boston. He feels like he has to make a great one sided deal everytime and you could make the case that's why they haven't won a championship since 2008. He doesn't trade the abundance of picks he gets for proven players ready to win. Lowe is also a Celtics media guy that tends to make Ainge sound good when deals don't go down so I don't know that I buy what he says all that much.