NBA Thread

In the end it will be up to Ainge to get the right mix of players to win a championship. Hard to know what is true and not with deals. I mean somehow LA has been able to land Lebron and AD and fill in a championship roster with a lot less assets then Ainge has had the past several years. He has a much larger window but I still can’t help but think he has targeted the wrong guys in Kyrie and then Kemba...in a landscape of superstars and all the chips he has had to offer how he hasn’t landed a true superstar or two surprises me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

In the end it will be up to Ainge to get the right mix of players to win a championship. Hard to know what is true and not with deals. I mean somehow LA has been able to land Lebron and AD and fill in a championship roster with a lot less assets then Ainge has had the past several years. He has a much larger window but I still can’t help but think he has targeted the wrong guys in Kyrie and then Kemba...in a landscape of superstars and all the chips he has had to offer how he hasn’t landed a true superstar or two surprises me.

& @BGleas

Can you guys win it all with Kemba as the lead guard?  In the best of 7 I say no.  Can he get crazy hot like he did in college for 10 games? Yes but this isn't St. John's and Bucknell (UConn's 1st rd opponent)

Celtics really need and want Brown to become alpha. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

& @BGleas

Can you guys win it all with Kemba as the lead guard?  In the best of 7 I say no.  Can he get crazy hot like he did in college for 10 games? Yes but this isn't St. John's and Bucknell (UConn's 1st rd opponent)

Celtics really need and want Brown to become alpha. 

If he was healthy, maybe. But I think this knee is going to be a chronic problem going forward now that he's just about 30. He got exposed defensively in the bubble during the playoffs. At some point they'll need to move him. 

Tatum is the alpha and they need him to take one more leap, and then Brown to continue to develop his offensive game and turn into a second legit all-star. He's already really close to that. 

At the end of the day, Pacers fans can rip Ainge's success or lack thereof all they want, but you all would take what Ainge has done the last 13 years in a heartbeat. While Boston certainly has higher expectations, this isn't the NBA of the 1950's and 60's. Free agents used to never come to Boston until Ainge landed Horford, Hayward and Kemba, and Boston isn't LA where everyone just flocks to you even if you suck.

Before Ainge the Celtics had made 3 playoff appearances in 10 years. 

In the last 13 years the Celtics have been to 6 ECF, 2 Finals, and won a championship. If not for KG's knee injury in 2009 and Perkins knee injury in Game 6 in 2010, he could easily have 1-2 more titles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

At the end of the day, Pacers fans can rip Ainge's success or lack thereof all they want, but you all would take what Ainge has done the last 13 years in a heartbeat. While Boston certainly has higher expectations, this isn't the NBA of the 1950's and 60's. Free agents used to never come to Boston until Ainge landed Horford, Hayward and Kemba, and Boston isn't LA where everyone just flocks to you even if you suck.

Before Ainge the Celtics had made 3 playoff appearances in 10 years. 

In the last 13 years the Celtics have been to 6 ECF, 2 Finals, and won a championship. If not for KG's knee injury in 2009 and Perkins knee injury in Game 6 in 2010, he could easily have 1-2 more titles. 

If you make it the past 13 years, I think you're right.

If you make it the past decade, I'm not sure I'd make that trade. When you factor in what the Pacers front office has done in a small market and with less assets than Boston in the last decade, I'd definitely take the Pacers. 

Before anyone rips that, the Pacers have 2 less wins than the Celtics in the past ten years and they're second and third in the East respectively in that time. 

EDIT: Not related to this post, but I do agree with you that Ainge clearly didn't value Turner the way the Pacers did and that was a huge part of the trade not getting done. I'm not sold on Ainge being "right" to do that, time will tell if turning down a very good defensive center who can stretch the floor and is 24 was wise or not. 

Edited by KoB2011

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If you make it the past 13 years, I think you're right.

If you make it the past decade, I'm not sure I'd make that trade. When you factor in what the Pacers front office has done in a small market and with less assets than Boston in the last decade, I'd definitely take the Pacers. 

Before anyone rips that, the Pacers have 2 less wins than the Celtics in the past ten years and they're second and third in the East respectively in that time. 

EDIT: Not related to this post, but I do agree with you that Ainge clearly didn't value Turner the way the Pacers did and that was a huge part of the trade not getting done. I'm not sold on Ainge being "right" to do that, time will tell if turning down a very good defensive center who can stretch the floor and is 24 was wise or not. 

On your edit, I completely agree. I'm not saying Ainge is right, but if he and the Celtics don't value Turner, and his contract is a factor as well, then they shouldn't have done the deal. Maybe Ainge is wrong on Turner, but clearly he didn't really want him, that's why he swung for more, not out of some egotistical need to destroy the other team in a trade.

Danny gets a bad rap because of how the Celtics got so much in that Brooklyn deal, but that wasn't even him, he had agreed to a lesser deal and Wyc Grousbeck the owner made him call back and demand a 3rd first round pick. Danny has done plenty of fair trades and has done plenty of trades where the Celtics acted as the 3rd team to help two other teams get deals done. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw Kemba Walker is out until at least January

Yeah, unfortunately I think Kemba is about to hit that 'wrong side of 30 with bad knees' portion of his career. It's too bad because he's a really good player and a great teammate, but the Celtics are probably going to have to find a way to get out of that contract. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Yeah, unfortunately I think Kemba is about to hit that 'wrong side of 30 with bad knees' portion of his career. It's too bad because he's a really good player and a great teammate, but the Celtics are probably going to have to find a way to get out of that contract. 

It seems like the Celtics has had to many wings and not many true point guards or bigs.  At least this off season they have tried to shore up those areas

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree, and now the wing is actually the position with the least depth. 

Well room for Romeo to step up. If he can get his shot back (I saw him in HS he could shoot just fine until his wrist injuries) he would be perfect 2-3 guy for you all. Lots of minutes available especially with his defense (your welcome says Archie). 

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah I was not excited with the Kemba acquisition. Not a good defender and generally smaller guys don’t age well. I know lots of Pacer fans wanted him but glad we didn’t spend for him. Saved cap and basically spent it on Brogdon and paying their own but who knows if that will even work out. All this time and all those assets honestly I would have have tried to keep Tatum, Smart, Hayward and used all those other assets and picks to land AD and Chris Paul a few years back and surrounded them with vets but who knows if that could even been possible. Maybe with that trade exception now you could move Kemba and exception plus a pick or young player for Paul. I just think you need that ultimate floor general with those younger studs. Then try to address shooting closer to trade deadline.

Edited by dgambill

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't follow the NBA but just saw Westbrlook to Washington for Wall and a 1st rounder

Tells me Houston is breaking things up. I’d expect Harden is on the trade block. Wall is the worst contract in the NBA...and it isn’t shorter than Westbrook’s. Houston is about to go into a rebuild and they took the 1st rd pick as all they could get for Westbrook. I know Harden wanted to go to the Nets...it will take 3/4 teams to make that work because their picks won’t be worth anything and Houston won’t want their players because they want picks. They have good talent like Laver/Dunwidde etc to offer so will be interesting to see who gets involved.

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm curious if Wall can hit his career avg ever again?  19 and 9

Sounds like he felt disrespected that the wizards gm was referring to Beal as the cornerstone.  Bro what rock have you been under.  At least next to Harden, Harden is alpha and everyone knows it so there won't be this weird battle that Wall and Beal had.  

Achilles injuries are devastating to basketball players.