NBA Thread

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

Can the Mavs/pacers game be a 2 on 2 with Sabonis/Brogdon vs Luka/KP? 

I assume Levert, Warren, and Turner are out. 

The Mavs are made up of their G-League guys, KP, Luka and few of their secondary bench guys.  Maybe Hardaway will play with his injured groin and shoot 0 for 12. I expect that DFS, Maxi, Richardson and Powell won't play though richardson may have a shot to return. 

Saw that 0-12 the other day didn't know about his groin pull, ouch. 

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Thinking the same thing.  With Lamb coming back tonight and hopefully Levert comes back A. Holiday should be the one losing the minutes

I would be shocked if Lavert is back for a long time if maybe at all this year. I can’t imagine this surgery will be minor considering it is attached to a vital organ and then recovery and who knows if he will need treatment to keep it from coming back...I’ll say Warren plays before him.

• Like 1

A good read @KoB2011. Though it would provide some insight after our conversations following the Hayward trade fallout. It's a Boston blog but these are direct quotes from GM's and assistant GM's about working with Boston/Ainge. 

They're about 85% positive. 

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/1/19/22237956/what-is-it-really-like-to-talk-trades-with-danny-ainge-boston-celtics

A couple positive ones I pulled.

Do you enjoy talking trades with Boston?

· An Eastern Conference GM: “Yes. They are easy to deal with. Danny tells you when he’s not interested, switches to something he is interested in right away or walks away. My team loves Mike Zarren because he’s not arrogant. He might tell them something doesn’t work cap-wise or something, but he’s not a dick about it. And Boston is great about finding a third team for deals if you need one.

Oh, and they are up front if they plan on flipping the guy you trade them. I personally don’t care what you do after our deal. He’s not my player anymore. But some of my peers hate it. I think they worry about ‘Could I have gotten that deal?’. It’s not something I worry about, but Boston does tell you if that is their plan.”

· An Eastern Conference GM: “I do. There’s no (expletive) with Boston. Get in, get out. It might take a bunch of conversations, but they aren’t wasting your time. And you get brutal honesty. Once we asked them what they thought of one of our players and the response was ‘You’re asking because he can’t play. Why would we want him if you don’t?’. And they were right. He couldn’t play.

Mostly, I appreciate guys who want to work with you. Need something they don’t have? They’ll get a third team. Want in as a third team? They’re happy to listen. When they call you, they get to what they want right away. If you tell them a guy is off limits, they might push a bit, but not too much. They’ll circle back to see if anything has changed, but not every couple of days like some others do. They respect you when you tell them no, because that’s what they expect in return.

Look at this year. Charlotte didn’t have to do Gordon Hayward as a sign and trade. They weren’t dumping salary and still had to eat (Nicolas) Batum’s salary. But they did it because the year before, Boston helped them get Terry Rozier in the double sign and trade with Kemba Walker. That’s how you build equity and good relationships.

I think Danny has made so many deals with everyone because there’s no (expletive). No one feels like information is being withheld or that they are being lied to. That’s important in our business. You have to have trust and I trust Boston when making a trade.”

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

@BGleas  Do you think it’s smart for Kemba to wear the #8...I mean the last Walker #8 for Boston didn’t exactly live up to the billing imo. Just wondering....

I don't see what one has to do with the other?

WIth that said, don't talk bad about my guy #8. Maybe didn't pan out fully, but he was still a 3-time All-Star and was a starter on the first D-Wade team that won a title in Miami. 

Good dude too! He always got to know the front office staff and would get to know us, take you out for dinner on the road, etc. Not many guys do that. 

• Haha 1

First games for fans back at Bankers life(1,000 fans and all were season ticket holders) and it felt great being there although they lost.  Anyone that says Myles isn't important to this team or that he is an average player isn't watching.  Without him, the defense struggles and with him well there's a reason he's at 4.2 blocks per game and the defense improves drastically.  Aaron is in a slump, big fan but he's struggling with his shots which imo is affecting is defense.  His shots will start falling though right?  That's what CAM is saying about our shooters but I've been waiting for awhile but I won't go there lol Lamb looked good returning for his first game from his ACL tear last Feb.

Coach said after the game he elected not to play Goga but said it wasn't because he isn't healthy just didn't like the matchup but went on to say he should have and he will play moving forward.  Jakar is a gap filler not a long term solution but he shouldn't be on the floor whenever Goga is healthy.  Goga's first year was a wash under McMillan, he does not develop players very well and won't make changes like the new coach.  He just got back from being hurt Sunday and played ok in his first game back considering the amount of time he's missed and of course it was the Clippers which are a top team in the west.  I think Goga will continue to get better and feel more comfortable.  I still believe Goga will be at a min a very good role player for this team.  He provides better shot blocking than Sabonis.  

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Great defensive effort last night by the "big 3" in a 2OT loss to the Cavs. 147-135

Also interesting is that while Harden did have another triple-double, in Kyrie's return Kyrie took 28 shots and Harden only took 14. 

I didn't see the game and maybe they're using Harden more as a facilitator, but that is something to watch. I can't imagine Harden would be happy for long taking only half the shots as Kyrie if they're not winning. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Also interesting is that while Harden did have another triple-double, in Kyrie's return Kyrie took 28 shots and Harden only took 14. 

I didn't see the game and maybe they're using Harden more as a facilitator, but that is something to watch. I can't imagine Harden would be happy for long taking only half the shots as Kyrie if they're not winning. 

I am not sure if KI ever even looked to pass the ball. I feel a little bad for hoping they just implode. Not sorry at all

49 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am not sure if KI ever even looked to pass the ball. I feel a little bad for hoping they just implode. Not sorry at all

I dont feel bad at all. I hope they implode and will enjoy watching it. 

The only thing that could possibly make me pull for them is if they do get to the Finals. As a Celtics fan, I can't have the Lakers getting title #18. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BGleas said:

I dont feel bad at all. I hope they implode and will enjoy watching it. 

The only thing that could possibly make me pull for them is if they do get to the Finals. As a Celtics fan, I can't have the Lakers getting title #18. 

I think the Clips will present a bigger challenge this season in the West. They're coming together and Lue has set up their offense better. Gotta throw in my PG love (lol) - last night 17, 12 assists, 7 boards, 2 blocks, another highly efficient game, leads the team in FG% at 51.4%, and he's shooting 50.5% from the arc (on 109 shots). Clips are, imo, turning into a very good team. Ibaka and Batum's solid veteran play and Kennard's and Reggie Jackson's offense makes them deeper than they were, and they are playing in sync and with chemistry

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think the Clips will present a bigger challenge this season in the West. They're coming together and Lue has set up their offense better. Gotta throw in my PG love (lol) - last night 17, 12 assists, 7 boards, 2 blocks, another highly efficient game, leads the team in FG% at 51.4%, and he's shooting 50.5% from the arc (on 109 shots). Clips are, imo, turning into a very good team. Ibaka and Batum's solid veteran play and Kennard's and Reggie Jackson's offense makes them deeper than they were, and they are playing in sync and with chemistry

I think the Clips are the best team on paper and may win it all , but until to unseat the King still an uphill battle but I think the Champ comes out of the West again. 

13 hours ago, BGleas said:

A good read @KoB2011. Though it would provide some insight after our conversations following the Hayward trade fallout. It's a Boston blog but these are direct quotes from GM's and assistant GM's about working with Boston/Ainge. 

They're about 85% positive. 

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/1/19/22237956/what-is-it-really-like-to-talk-trades-with-danny-ainge-boston-celtics

A couple positive ones I pulled.

Do you enjoy talking trades with Boston?

· An Eastern Conference GM: “Yes. They are easy to deal with. Danny tells you when he’s not interested, switches to something he is interested in right away or walks away. My team loves Mike Zarren because he’s not arrogant. He might tell them something doesn’t work cap-wise or something, but he’s not a dick about it. And Boston is great about finding a third team for deals if you need one.

Oh, and they are up front if they plan on flipping the guy you trade them. I personally don’t care what you do after our deal. He’s not my player anymore. But some of my peers hate it. I think they worry about ‘Could I have gotten that deal?’. It’s not something I worry about, but Boston does tell you if that is their plan.”

· An Eastern Conference GM: “I do. There’s no (expletive) with Boston. Get in, get out. It might take a bunch of conversations, but they aren’t wasting your time. And you get brutal honesty. Once we asked them what they thought of one of our players and the response was ‘You’re asking because he can’t play. Why would we want him if you don’t?’. And they were right. He couldn’t play.

Mostly, I appreciate guys who want to work with you. Need something they don’t have? They’ll get a third team. Want in as a third team? They’re happy to listen. When they call you, they get to what they want right away. If you tell them a guy is off limits, they might push a bit, but not too much. They’ll circle back to see if anything has changed, but not every couple of days like some others do. They respect you when you tell them no, because that’s what they expect in return.

Look at this year. Charlotte didn’t have to do Gordon Hayward as a sign and trade. They weren’t dumping salary and still had to eat (Nicolas) Batum’s salary. But they did it because the year before, Boston helped them get Terry Rozier in the double sign and trade with Kemba Walker. That’s how you build equity and good relationships.

I think Danny has made so many deals with everyone because there’s no (expletive). No one feels like information is being withheld or that they are being lied to. That’s important in our business. You have to have trust and I trust Boston when making a trade.”

Interesting excerpts. Thinking through those quotes, I can certainly see why you'd get quotes like that dealing with Boston. I've got to jump to a meeting but I'll try to remember to come back to the full blog this afternoon. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think the Clips are the best team on paper and may win it all , but until to unseat the King still an uphill battle but I think the Champ comes out of the West again. 

Lakers and LBJ/Unibrow are the 100lb gorilla in the room. Also think the champ will come out of the West and at this point really can't say whether I think the Clips will be good enough to unseat the Lakers, who got better over the offseason, but if they stay healthy I think they can. Kawhi is no longer missing back to backs, he's fully healthy again, the full team is playing regularly, they also got better (imo) despite losing Harrell, and PG is clearly on a mission after falling apart and being ridiculed last season, he's playing at least now, at the top of his game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Lakers and LBJ/Unibrow are the 100lb gorilla in the room. Also think the champ will come out of the West and at this point really can't say whether I think the Clips will be good enough to unseat the Lakers, who got better over the offseason, but if they stay healthy I think they can. Kawhi is no longer missing back to backs, he's fully healthy again, the full team is playing regularly, they also got better (imo) despite losing Harrell, and PG is clearly on a mission after falling apart and being ridiculed last season, he's playing at least now, at the top of his game.

They are the 2 best teams in my opinion. I just think beating LBJ 4 of 7 will be difficult for anyone. Neither the Clips or Lakers are worried about the #1 seed so I think role players for both will get plenty of run to see what they can do. 

• Like 1