NBA Thread

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No 8 teams make the playoffs. Just 9 plays 10 then they have to beat the loser of 7 vs 8 twice in a row. So still a play in. If it ain’t a series you aren’t in imo. 

I thought 7 played 10 and 8 plays 9 in ay in games.  Also does the teams that lose will still he be  in the lottery or are they considered playoff teams

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought 7 played 10 and 8 plays 9 in ay in games.  Also does the teams that lose will still he be  in the lottery or are they considered playoff teams

Not sure about lottery...just that 7 plays 8...loser then plays winner of 9 vs 10. So a team that is 9 or 10 has to win 3 games in a row to get in.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not a fan of this format

Yeah...you and Luca both. He trashed it a few days ago. I think the nba had good intentions but they have a huge problem. This whole ranking thing going on...it’s really bad for the game. I much prefer like the premier league and relegate teams if they end up at the bottom...anything to prevent the sitting players to purposely lose.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...you and Luca both. He trashed it a few days ago. I think the nba had good intentions but they have a huge problem. This whole ranking thing going on...it’s really bad for the game. I much prefer like the premier league and relegate teams if they end up at the bottom...anything to prevent the sitting players to purposely lose.

If it was trying to stop taking this is not going to happen.  I rather be in the lottery than be the 10th seed.  The Pacers are just caught in the middle where they are just good enough to compete but not good enough to win big.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If it was trying to stop taking this is not going to happen.  I rather be in the lottery than be the 10th seed.  The Pacers are just caught in the middle where they are just good enough to compete but not good enough to win big.

Then the Pacers better get better at tanking...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

2 hours ago, rico said:

Then the Pacers better get better at tanking...

Most years they over achieve and end up a 4-5 seed. Which I understand equates to maybe winning a round in the playoffs and gaining you valuable home game and revenue for a small market team. However, trying to grasp desperately for an 8 seed to me is just short sighted. In a pandemic year where you won't have ticket sales regardless if you make it then why are you trying to actively shoot for a 10th place finish with the outside chance of winning 3 games to get in? I understand you don't want to instill a losing culture in the organization but lets be real...the Pacers have a scrappy winning culture...one year full of injuries won't destroy that. This is their chance to move up and land a generational talent. This draft is also very deep so landing additional picks should also be encouraged. I agree Rico...time to shut down the banged up guys (since the league encourages it) and land us a future star player (because it's damn near impossible to go out and get one).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonight for the Pacers there is no Turner, out indefinitely, Sabonis and Lamb.  They gave up 36 first quarter points against the Spurs.  I think it might be time to blow up the front office and the team.  I think the hiring of the new Nate has been a disaster as well.  They have no depth at the 4 or 5 spot besides Goga and that is on Pritchard.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Tonight for the Pacers there is no Turner, out indefinitely, Sabonis and Lamb.  They gave up 36 first quarter points against the Spurs.  I think it might be time to blow up the front office and the team.  I think the hiring of the new Nate has been a disaster as well.  They have no depth at the 4 or 5 spot besides Goga and that is on Pritchard.

I don't think you blow this up because of a season derailed by injuries. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is just not this year but it has been the last few years of mediocrity.

You said a coach who is in his first year isn't working out, and now it's a few years. 

The Pacers have a ceiling as a franchise, they're not going to blow this up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Meh, they just need to get lucky in the draft.  Find their next Reggie Miller.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

Meh, they just need to get lucky in the draft.  Find their next Reggie Miller.

That is the problem when you are picking in the middle of the first round it is hard to find one of those great players.  It can be done but it seems like if you don't draft in the top 5 it is a crap shoot.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is the problem when you are picking in the middle of the first round it is hard to find one of those great players.  It can be done but it seems like if you don't draft in the top 5 it is a crap shoot.

WTF?  Drafting in the Top 5 is a crap shoot.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It is just not this year but it has been the last few years of mediocrity.

Which was also derailed because of an injury to a certain IU alum that was turning into a super star plus an injury to Brogdon and Lamb last year. The team is snake bitten.

Injuries have killed what this team could have been and are now. Heck you trade for a young talent and find out he has cancer....I mean how bad does it get? Warren scores 20 in his sleep...out for season. You have to run most of this team back. It isn't a horrible roster at all. Just needs more 3pt shooting imo. A nice young stud draft pick to play along side Brogdon and Levert....be awful nice! 

• Like 1

It is kind of a crap shoot but PG, DG, and MT were all end of the lottery draft picks...and KL part of a sign and trade was as well. Guys have been there for the taking for the Pacers even at the back end of the lottery.....and considering the Pacers don't often end up there that is pretty good picks. Honestly if Johnathon Bender's knees didn't go but...man what the Pacers could have became with him and Al Harrington, Artest, Jermaine Oneil, Best/Tinsley and vet Reggie! Anyways I think the Pacers got scared off after that one because they never take a chance to move up to the top of the draft. Heck even when they have been in the teens they never move up a few spots. A couple years ago Donovan Mitchell went a few picks ahead.....when a guy like that drops you got to go after them. Anyways....Pacers....ughhh so frustrating.

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I no longer pay any attention to the NBA, but I did for a long enough period to recognize one thing about the Pacers (which I began following in 1970): The Simons are, first and foremost, business people.  Their primary interest is to have a profitable franchise.  Sure, they want to win, but they aren't going to overpay for success.  It's their team and they have every right to do so - and they've been quite successful at it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I no longer pay any attention to the NBA, but I did for a long enough period to recognize one thing about the Pacers (which I began following in 1970): The Simons are, first and foremost, business people.  Their primary interest is to have a profitable franchise.  Sure, they want to win, but they aren't going to overpay for success.  It's their team and they have every right to do so - and they've been quite successful at it.

It's been said that Herb lives and dies for every game. He wants to win very very badly. That said he has never really gone over the luxury tax much but I think would do it if it made sense for winning a title. We just haven't had a lot of luck in Indy. The NBA is kind of about dynasties....windows of opportunity. Our best teams have come at the same time as 3 of the most dominant players in history. MJ kept us out of several...then Kobe/Shaq...then Lebron. There was that two year window we likely could have done better when Orlando and NY faced the Rockets...but we missed our chance. That said it seems the winds are changing...GS domination is over. Lebron has only a couple great years left...I wonder if we can do something like Detroit did when they have it all come together for a year and luck into a championship. That said you have to be ready to win when that window presents itself...and I think that is what he tries to do. 

Winning brings in money....in a small market you need to fill the stadium and you need an engaging team to do that. This year is just a disaster and I think they would have been better served to tank from the start in hopes of landing a top 5 pick...but even without that now the season is too late to salvage and no harm in positioning ourselves around the 9-12 pick....still could be a great player fall that far. It's a deep draft.

• Like 1