NBA Thread

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Sad to see that Aaron Nesmith has passed Romeo Langford in the Celtics rotation. 

Langford still as some, but Nesmith is ahead of him. Nesmith plays just as hard defensively but is way ahead of Langford offensively. 

I’m watching this game....you know what that means....so disappointed in your Celtics...I swear I don’t believe they actually have won a game this year...

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Sad to see that Aaron Nesmith has passed Romeo Langford in the Celtics rotation. 

Langford still plays some, but Nesmith is ahead of him. Nesmith plays just as hard defensively but is way ahead of Langford offensively. 

In relation to Romeo...honestly him being on the Celtics is stunting his growth. Look across the league and everyone in his draft class is playing HUGE minutes win or lose....getting tons of run and experience. Even if he plays he is so timid because they are desperate to win and have stars already out there..so many vets. Kid just needs lots and lots of reps...sadly won’t get them in Boston.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Sounds like it will be another strong second half!

Maybe...I swear every game I watch of theirs they just lay an egg. Tatum is like 1-10?? Not sure but they just look terrible. I know they can be really good but I must be bad luck.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

In relation to Romeo...honestly him being on the Celtics is stunting his growth. Look across the league and everyone in his draft class is playing HUGE minutes win or lose....getting tons of run and experience. Even if he plays he is so timid because they are desperate to win and have stars already out there..so many vets. Kid just needs lots and lots of reps...sadly won’t get them in Boston.

Maybe. He hasn't helped himself with all of the injuries. He's missed a ton of time over his two seasons. 

I'd also say those same things haven't seemed to hurt Nesmith. Sure, even Nesmith would probably get more time elsewhere, but when he plays he impacts the game and has scored in double figures several times the last month or so. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BGleas said:

Maybe. He hasn't helped himself with all of the injuries. He's missed a ton of time over his two seasons. 

I'd also say those same things haven't seemed to hurt Nesmith. Sure, even Nesmith would probably get more time elsewhere, but when he plays he impacts the game and has scored in double figures several times the last month or so. 

Yeah...not sure what it is. Kid has all the talent and potential in the world...just seems to not have confidence. I think somewhere that is getting a youth movement would benefit him though. 

14 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

I see that Brown is out for the season for the Celtics. Any kind of playoff run they might have made is probably done now I would guess.

They were already going the other way. Be lucky to even make the playoffs. Not sure they will get through the play in games now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Well maybe Romeo will get a little more opportunity.  See what he makes of it.  

Unfortunately for Langford, he's been passed in the rotation by Aaron Nesmith. Nesmith has really come on over the last two weeks or so, scoring 15 or more points in 4 of his last 6 games, on top of playing similar defense to Langford. 

He's still young and has a long way to go and injuries haven't helped, but it just doesn't seem to be happening for Langford. Stevens and the organization love him, so not giving up on him by any means, but oddly enough considering his scoring prowess in high school and college he just provides nothing offensively. 

Much like at IU, offensively he just runs to the corner and stands there. When the ball comes to his side he thens just runs away to the opposite corner. When he does get the ball it's like hot potato, he just gets rid of it as fast as he can. 

It's a weird thing for a guy that was known as a prolific scorer. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

They were already going the other way. Be lucky to even make the playoffs. Not sure they will get through the play in games now.

When you say 'lucky to make the playoffs' do you mean make it at all or get through the play-in? The Celtics are almost a lock to finish top 8 in the East. 

But it has of course been a tough season in Boston. I chalk the vast majority of it up to 1) injuries and Covid, 2) teams like Brooklyn, Philly and Milwaukee making some strong roster moves, and 3) Danny Ainge not putting a stronger roster of depth around Tatum and Brown.  

Kemba, Smart, Robert Williams, Tristin Thompson, Jaylen Brown, Tatum and Fournier have missed a combined 98 games (as of this morning). That is a lot of games missed from their top 8-9 guys. I think if healthy, the Celtics are still the 4th-5th best team in the East. They are better than New York and Atlanta when healthy. 

I like Kemba, but he has been a massive liability defensively and the knees are going. Clearly the Kyrie fiasco has set the franchise back. Ainge has also struggled drafting in the middle of the first round. He's actually done really well historically at the top of the draft and at the end of the first round, but those middle first round picks have been rough. Drafting Kelly Olynyck over Giannis? Yikes! 

The problem now is the Celtics have so much salary tied up into Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart, which isn't a very balanced top 4, and it's forced them to fill most of the roster with rookie salary guys. Ainge will need to decide if he can move guys like Kemba and better balance the supporting cast around Tatum and Brown, or does he see what Brown can get him on the trade market?

I still believe in both Tatum and Brown, Tatum is a borderline superstar and Brown is a star. But I also see some of the same issues we're seeing with the Clippers in Kawhi and PG. It's a weird dynamic when your two best players are both wings that need the ball in their hands and like isolation. 

Edit: Just saw a stat that the Celtics top 7 (Brown, Tatum, Smart, Walker, Tristan Thompson, Robert Williams, and Daniel Theis/Evan Fournier) never played a game together this season. Not once were all 7 healthy/available for even a single game together this season. 

Edit #2: The top 4 of Brown, Tatum, Smart and Walker played a total of 292 minutes together this season. That doesn't rank in the top 125 of 4-man lineups in the NBA this season. 

Edit #3: The Celtics have had the most days of players in Covid protocols with a total of 167 days of players in the Covid protocol. The next closest team is Dallas with 118. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

When you say 'lucky to make the playoffs' do you mean make it at all or get through the play-in? The Celtics are almost a lock to finish top 8 in the East. 

But it has of course been a tough season in Boston. I chalk the vast majority of it up to 1) injuries and Covid, 2) teams like Brooklyn, Philly and Milwaukee making some strong roster moves, and 3) Danny Ainge not putting a stronger roster of depth around Tatum and Brown.  

Kemba, Smart, Robert Williams, Tristin Thompson, Jaylen Brown, Tatum and Fournier have missed a combined 98 games (as of this morning). That is a lot of games missed from their top 8-9 guys. I think if healthy, the Celtics are still the 4th-5th best team in the East. They are better than New York and Atlanta when healthy. 

I like Kemba, but he has been a massive liability defensively and the knees are going. Clearly the Kyrie fiasco has set the franchise back. Ainge has also struggled drafting in the middle of the first round. He's actually done really well historically at the top of the draft and at the end of the first round, but those middle first round picks have been rough. Drafting Kelly Olynyck over Giannis? Yikes! 

The problem now is the Celtics have so much salary tied up into Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart, which isn't a very balanced top 4, and it's forced them to fill most of the roster with rookie salary guys. Ainge will need to decide if he can move guys like Kemba and better balance the supporting cast around Tatum and Brown, or does he see what Brown can get him on the trade market?

I still believe in both Tatum and Brown, Tatum is a borderline superstar and Brown is a star. But I also see some of the same issues we're seeing with the Clippers in Kawhi and PG. It's a weird dynamic when your two best players are both wings that need the ball in their hands and like isolation. 

Edit: Just saw a stat that the Celtics top 7 (Brown, Tatum, Smart, Walker, Tristan Thompson, Robert Williams, and Daniel Theis/Evan Fournier) never played a game together this season. Not once were all 7 healthy/available for even a single game together this season. 

Edit #2: The top 4 of Brown, Tatum, Smart and Walker played a total of 292 minutes together this season. That doesn't rank in the top 125 of 4-man lineups in the NBA this season. 

Edit #3: The Celtics have had the most days of players in Covid protocols with a total of 167 days of players in the Covid protocol. The next closest team is Dallas with 118. 

Oh not trying to say they don’t have a talented roster they definitely do. Too good to be this far back but like you said a disaster of a season. I mean make it through the play in. Not enough season left to fall any further like you said. Yeah the Kemba move I didn’t like from the start. I was ok with the Kyrie move because Thomas injury he was done. I thought with veteran players like Horford would be enough but clearly Kyrie needs another mega star to keep him in check. 

Not sure how you move Kemba unless you package him with younger players to get someone to take his contract on. I think he has two more years at like 33-34 million. I has always thought Chris Paul was the guy you guys should have went after over the past several years but that’s water under the bridge now. You’ll have plenty of options in the offseason.

On 5/14/2021 at 7:11 PM, slojoe said:

Seeing reports that Vic having season ending knee surgery, and that he could be out for all or most of next year.

Bet on himself and lost. Had multiple long term offers and certainly won’t get one now. Feel for the guy but he finally got to Miami but grass isn’t always greener.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Bet on himself and lost. Had multiple long term offers and certainly won’t get one now. Feel for the guy but he finally got to Miami but grass isn’t always greener.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel for him? He forced his way out of a situation where he was wanted and loved, that made him a very fair offer to be here long term, and is going to walk away with nothing to show for it. 

I am not rooting against Vic, but I'm certainly not going to feel bad for him that he ended up with egg in his face. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Out of curiosity, why do you feel for him? He forced his way out of a situation where he was wanted and loved, that made him a very fair offer to be here long term, and is going to walk away with nothing to show for it. 

I am not rooting against Vic, but I'm certainly not going to feel bad for him that he ended up with egg in his face. 

Always a part of me wants our IU guys to succeed. I don’t feel sorry he forced his way out and won’t get another big offer...just that he is hurt and might well be the end of his career because let’s be honest he didn’t exactly come back the same Vic from his last injury.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Always a part of me wants our IU guys to succeed. I don’t feel sorry he forced his way out and won’t get another big offer...just that he is hurt and might well be the end of his career because let’s be honest he didn’t exactly come back the same Vic from his last injury.

Totally fair, makes sense!

• Like 1

Romeo starting today for the Celts - has not left the corner so far.

I really think the Knicks can push a team in the playoffs - they're a tough squad.

I'm hoping the Celts can play tough because we could be looking at a playoff where every single series, sans the 1/8 in the East, is a stellar series this postseason.