NBA Thread

39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I agree with what you are saying, and was kind of my original point, which was Westbrook's crying about this made it seem like a much bigger crime than it really was.

As far as punishments are concerned, I agree that both the [popcorn guy and the spitter should have been ejected.  However, while the spitter should be banned for life (really, what grown person does that), the popcorn guy should be given a second chance.  What he did was simply not worthy of a long term ban.  

Popcorn guy?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's kind of what I was getting at. Dumping popcorn on a player is unacceptable and the fan should and is being dealt with, but the player who it happened too is what makes this a bigger story. Russell Westbrook seems like an overly-emotional, overly-sensitive guy who is going to make a mountain out of a anthill. 

That doesn't mean throwing popcorn at a player is ok, just that how the recipient handles it determines how big of a story it's going to be. 

While Westbrook is certainly the "victim" in this interaction with the fan, as well as a few other fan interactions, he's a guy that often seems to find himself in these situations and doesn't necessarily handle them really well. I think opposing fans know they're going to get a big reaction out of him so they target him a bit. 

Agree. Ban the guy...no class....there is no room for that sort of stuff....should be charged with A SALT AND BUTTERY......ok ok lol that said Russ is just the type that fans target because he is exactly the guy that will overreact to this sort of stuff. Kind of like shooting beans out of a straw at a bull in an enclosure full of cows...you know just which one to provoke to get the reaction you want.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

Have you been to a sporting event without having beer, nachos, or popcorn spilt on you lol!? I haven't lol

We had front row seats for Cavs at Pacers 4 or 5 years ago and Kevin Love got fouled on a layup and his butt ended up smacked right into Aydens face and hIS hand whacked my wife in the face. Thank God it was nothing lethal like POPCORN. Don't think either would have made it😀

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We had front row seats for Cavs at Pacers 4 or 5 years ago and Kevin Love got fouled on a layup and his butt ended up smacked right into Aydens face and hIS hand whacked my wife in the face. Thank God it was nothing lethal like POPCORN. Don't think either would have made it😀

No doubt that stuff happens. That must have been a treat to watch that close to the action! Never sat that close to that level of athlete. Even NFL I've been just a few rows up before but it still feels like you are far away from the action and while the speed and violence is there it still feels a bit muted. As close as you were I bet you realize just how big and fast these guys are.

The Celtics are getting HOSED by the refs. Durant barrels over Smart and gets called for a charge. Nets challenge. 

All 3 announcers spend the entire break talking about what a great call it was and no chance it gets overturned. 

What happens? Call gets overturned, so the Nets get a free throw and the ball because it was a deadball foul. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Huge win for the Celtics. I have no expectations for the rest of the series, but as a franchise and a fanbase the Celtics needed that win. 

The indy radio drum beat started beating and chanting bring the Masshole home again this week.  

If they got sweep Boston dan base would be livid.  Tatum literally gets better everyday.  Hes like Neo.  Oh I can do that and this, ok.  Let me try this.  I never dreamed he would be as good as he is now but he probably has 3-4 more years of expected growth.  He may wind up being the best guy in the league in 2 years.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hunter seemed like such a no brainer in that draft.  I sat there thinking, please pacers, for once package a deal and move up and take that guy.  

I love Hunter. Trae Young is turning out to be a future HOFer, Capella is the perfect 5 for them, John Collins is really good, little Bogey is really good, they've got Gallinari, Huerter and Lou Williams coming off the bench. 

Long term, I think Cam Reddish and Okungwu have high upside too. Theyve obviously had a lot of high picks, but they seem to have nailed most or all of them and have brought in some great vets around those young pieces. 

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I love Hunter. Trae Young is turning out to be a future HOFer, Capella is the perfect 5 for them, John Collins is really good, little Bogey is really good, they've got Gallinari, Huerter and Lou Williams coming off the bench. 

Long term, I think Cam Reddish and Okungwu have high upside too. Theyve obviously had a lot of high picks, but they seem to have nailed most or all of them and have brought in some great vets around those young pieces. 

I'm buying.  There is huge upside.  Not sure if they can be this year's Heat and make a deep run but they looked like the 2nd most capable team last night.  Even in a loss the only thing holding back the nets would be their own chemistry and between the ears.

• Like 1

Not buying Atlanta. NY is limited. Their record is a result of hard ass coaching/defense and effort for a whole regular season. When teams bring the same intensity in a playoff game that advantage is gone. Not enough shooting for NY.

As for Atlanta...Trae Young is even worse defender than Steph Curry. They will get exposed by teams that can take advantage of matchup. 

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not buying Atlanta. NY is limited. Their record is a result of hard ass coaching/defense and effort for a whole regular season. When teams bring the same intensity in a playoff game that advantage is gone. Not enough shooting for NY.

As for Atlanta...Trae Young is even worse defender than Steph Curry. They will get exposed by teams that can take advantage of matchup. 

You mean this year, or long term? I'll agree that this year they're probably going to lose to the 76ers in Round 2, but long term I love their upside. Trae Young is 22 and has gotten better every year; he isn't ever going to be an elite defensive PG (though I'd average Chris Paul is the only elite PG that is an elite defender at that position) but they will be able to scheme around that with the other guys they have. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

You mean this year, or long term? I'll agree that this year they're probably going to lose to the 76ers in Round 2, but long term I love their upside. Trae Young is 22 and has gotten better every year; he isn't ever going to be an elite defensive PG (though I'd average Chris Paul is the only elite PG that is an elite defender at that position) but they will be able to scheme around that with the other guys they have. 

I don’t trust the organization long term either. They have a glut at the wings and I’m not sure they will keep the right ones...can’t pay them all. Will see. Certainly they are several years away. I’ll believe it when I see it. This is the same organization that traded Luka Doncic away. I also don’t think Young is the next Curry. Nope.

Edited by dgambill

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don’t trust the organization long term either. They have a glut at the wings and I’m not sure they will keep the right ones...can’t pay them all. Will see. Certainly they are several years away. I’ll believe it when I see it. This is the same organization that traded Luka Doncic away. I also don’t think Young is the next Curry. Nope.

Hmmm, lots I don't agree with here. Why don't we trust the Hawks organization? They brought in a front office from Golden State a few years ago and seemingly have executed on their plan at a high level since then. I definitely don't see them as several years away. 

I think the Trae Young/Doncic trade was really good for both teams. Both are future HOFers, but it also wasn't a straight up trade. Atlanta also got Cam Reddish in that trade. 

If we are comparing ATL to Dallas, I think both teams have a solid collection of quality role players around their superstars (and I'm putting both of those guys in that category at this point). I think Atlanta has probably a better collection of guys across the board and has more guys that can develop into All Stars, or maybe even superstars, than Dallas does. I like the future of both franchises but I think if I'm betting on one, I'm betting on Atlanta. But maybe they'll meet in the Finals in the next couple years and we can see it play out on the court :)

• Like 1