NBA Thread

Just now, KoB2011 said:

He played a ton (and pretty well) in the Game 3 win. 

Yes! He's always played good D, but he was able to hit two 3's which he typically doesn't do. 

I'm interested to see how aggressive he is tonight. So far with the Celtics he basically runs away from the ball at all costs, but at this point with Kemba and Brown out, he's going to have opportunities and he's going to need to take them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Hmmm, lots I don't agree with here. Why don't we trust the Hawks organization? They brought in a front office from Golden State a few years ago and seemingly have executed on their plan at a high level since then. I definitely don't see them as several years away. 

I think the Trae Young/Doncic trade was really good for both teams. Both are future HOFers, but it also wasn't a straight up trade. Atlanta also got Cam Reddish in that trade. 

If we are comparing ATL to Dallas, I think both teams have a solid collection of quality role players around their superstars (and I'm putting both of those guys in that category at this point). I think Atlanta has probably a better collection of guys across the board and has more guys that can develop into All Stars, or maybe even superstars, than Dallas does. I like the future of both franchises but I think if I'm betting on one, I'm betting on Atlanta. But maybe they'll meet in the Finals in the next couple years and we can see it play out on the court :)

I’m not betting on either. I’m just not a big Trae Young fan. NY has no one to test him. Well see. Both Dallas and Atlanta has some work to do for sure to get to that next level.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

It's unbelievable how Kevin Durant has come back from a torn Achilles and is arguably better. 

That is almost always a devastating career altering injury. 

His game is so weird. He has never played with a ton of lift on his jumper and above the rim type game. He almost kind of glides around the court like he is on skates and of course he is so long he is still almost impossible to affect his shot. I can tell he isn’t all the way back...but yeah...safe to say the Achilles is no longer a career ending injury...I’ve heard on the Colts board there are some excellent new techniques...I believe it.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

This summarizes the Nets for me...

It’s sad because just purely on the court...their play is all likable....just attitudes off is very off putting...but then again...not many nba players are too likable...however the fan interactions are just despicable this offseason. Disgusting. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Trae Young is an incredibly special player. Is he Steph? Of course not, no one is. But this guy is incredibly special and while he doesn't have the same shooting prowess as Steph he is arguably a better creator for others already. 

Steph is the only player I think I’ve ever seen effect the game WITHOUT the ball. He gets so much attention he just pulls defenders even when he is running off a screen. Yep not close yet...but Young is even a worse defender. A real liability...just NY can’t take advantage.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Steph is the only player I think I’ve ever seen effect the game WITHOUT the ball. He gets so much attention he just pulls defenders even when he is running off a screen. Yep not close yet...but Young is even a worse defender. A real liability...just NY can’t take advantage.

Right, because NBA teams are usually good enough to hide one bad defender. 

We can keep trashing the Knicks, I don't disagree, but what Trae Young is doing in his first playoff series as a 22 year old is really special. 

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Right, because NBA teams are usually good enough to hide one bad defender. 

We can keep trashing the Knicks, I don't disagree, but what Trae Young is doing in his first playoff series as a 22 year old is really special. 

They don’t just have one bad defender but anyways we will see. They have a couple nice young pieces. Let’s see what they do when $$ starts coming into the picture. 

I know Smart is one of Boston’s better players but the ball just seems to stick with him out there as a primary ball hsndler with Tatum. Amazing the young kids may not have enough fire power but it’s clear they move much better and get great looks. Honestly the young guys play well when they can’t sit and stand and watch Tatum go one on one. Stevens runs some good stuff clearly.

The Celtics are just so undermanned right now. You can't beat a team like this when you're missing 3 of your top 5-6 guys. 

@dgambill, agree on Smart. I love his effort and energy, and in a way he's the heart and soul of the team, but the Celtics need an offensive and size talent upgrade at the Smart's salary slot. They have so much money tied up in Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart, and that is not a championship foursome. 

Ainge will need to figure that out this offseason. Ideally, you'd want to move Kemba and/or Smart, but unfortunately it might be Brown that goes since he would net more in return. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

The Celtics are just so undermanned right now. You can't beat a team like this when you're missing 3 of your top 5-6 guys. 

@dgambill, agree on Smart. I love his effort and energy, and in a way he's the heart and soul of the team, but the Celtics need an offensive and size talent upgrade at the Smart's salary slot. They have so much money tied up in Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart, and that is not a championship foursome. 

Ainge will need to figure that out this offseason. Ideally, you'd want to move Kemba and/or Smart, but unfortunately it might be Brown that goes since he would net more in return. 

Ainge probably should have made the trade for Turner when he had a chance

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Ainge probably should have made the trade for Turner when he had a chance

I don't know that would have done anything other than make them slightly better and screw up their payroll even more.

Robert Williams is really turning into a good player and does everything Turner does except stretch the floor. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know that would have done anything other than make them slightly better and screw up their payroll even more.

Robert Williams is really turning into a good player and does everything Turner does except stretch the floor. 

Turner would have been the defensive player of the year if he hadn't.missed the last month of the season

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Turner would have been the defensive player of the year if he hadn't.missed the last month of the season

I doubt it. It was always going to Gobert, Simmons or Giannis. 

Turner is a good player for sure, I just don't think that would change much for Boston, and like I said Williams is becoming a very similar player. Per 36 this year he averaged 15 points, 13 rebounds and over 3 blocks. 

• Like 1

On a challenge, can they call a foul on another player?

The Celts challenge that was just successful KD clearly fouled. I don't think they can do that, but that would be a nice add on to the challenge rule IMO. As it was, they overturned the call but it just results in a jump ball instead of Celts ball, which is what the play would've been if correctly officiated on the floor. 

Cool to see Langford have 17 tonight. I'm mixed on his NBA potential because he seems not only limited offensively, but also fairly content to not be involved on that end. But in his defense, this offseason will be his first healthy offseason in at least 2 years, so hopefully he can regain his offensive prowess and come back a more complete player. 

He does some really good things out there and can be a solid contributor, but he's going to have to average more than 2ppg and score/finish much, much better. 

• Like 2