NBA Thread

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

The Celtics are just so undermanned right now. You can't beat a team like this when you're missing 3 of your top 5-6 guys. 

@dgambill, agree on Smart. I love his effort and energy, and in a way he's the heart and soul of the team, but the Celtics need an offensive and size talent upgrade at the Smart's salary slot. They have so much money tied up in Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart, and that is not a championship foursome. 

Ainge will need to figure that out this offseason. Ideally, you'd want to move Kemba and/or Smart, but unfortunately it might be Brown that goes since he would net more in return. 

If you can find a way I think you have to try to dump Kemba salary...not sure who would buy it but throw a pick in or add a young player. You have the trade exception so if you can dump Kemba you can bring in a couple solid pieces for young guys. I mean Danny gets paid a lot of money to figure it out. I do think you need a veteran pg. Mayne a Kyle Lowry on a 1 yr deal?? Another guy that would be perfect I think for you guys is Lonzo Ball. He is quietly turning himself into a really good player. Improved 3pt%. All comes down to getting off Walkers salary. Then fill in some more 3pt shooting. Just a question would you do a Jaylen Brown & Thompson for Myles Turner and TJ Warren trade? Warren is big offense without having to have the ball in his hands and Turner is a great rim protector and plus defender/floor spacer. I know Brown is going to be a star but there is so much overlap with Tatum will it work with two ball dominant wings? Long shot but I have to ask to help my Pacers lol. I do see benefit for both teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don't know that would have done anything other than make them slightly better and screw up their payroll even more.

Robert Williams is really turning into a good player and does everything Turner does except stretch the floor. 

He can’t stay on the floor (Williams) agree can be really good though but can you risk waiting on that. 

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Cool to see Langford have 17 tonight. I'm mixed on his NBA potential because he seems not only limited offensively, but also fairly content to not be involved on that end. But in his defense, this offseason will be his first healthy offseason in at least 2 years, so hopefully he can regain his offensive prowess and come back a more complete player. 

He does some really good things out there and can be a solid contributor, but he's going to have to average more than 2ppg and score/finish much, much better. 

Agreed...he can’t live on that 3pt line. He needs to be more active cutting and making himself available. Too many Boston guys stand and watch Smart and Tatum and Brown...they got much more active when they sat. This is his year for sure to make a jump. He has to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If you can find a way I think you have to try to dump Kemba salary...not sure who would buy it but throw a pick in or add a young player. You have the trade exception so if you can dump Kemba you can bring in a couple solid pieces for young guys. I mean Danny gets paid a lot of money to figure it out. I do think you need a veteran pg. Mayne a Kyle Lowry on a 1 yr deal?? Another guy that would be perfect I think for you guys is Lonzo Ball. He is quietly turning himself into a really good player. Improved 3pt%. All comes down to getting off Walkers salary. Then fill in some more 3pt shooting. Just a question would you do a Jaylen Brown & Thompson for Myles Turner and TJ Warren trade? Warren is big offense without having to have the ball in his hands and Turner is a great rim protector and plus defender/floor spacer. I know Brown is going to be a star but there is so much overlap with Tatum will it work with two ball dominant wings? Long shot but I have to ask to help my Pacers lol. I do see benefit for both teams.

Agree on Kemba, Danny needs to find a way to move that salary. 

I wouldn't trade Jaylen Brown for Turner/Warren, and I don't think any GM in the NBA would. The Pacers would have to throw in a couple first round picks or get a 3rd team involved. 

Brown is already a star. I think the guy Boston would initially target in a Brown trade would be KAT. In that deal Boston would have to sweeten the pot, but how long is KAT going to be happy in Minnesota? But regardless, if they move Brown it will be for another all-star caliber player. 

As much as I love Jaylen Brown, I do agree that he and Tatum probably don't fit long term, unless you have a really strong lead point guard (distributor type) to go with them. 

I love the Lowry idea and even Ball as well. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He can’t stay on the floor (Williams) agree can be really good though but can you risk waiting on that. 

They've all been weird nagging injuries, nothing major. He was already breaking out this year before the turf toe hurt him. 

He'll be the starter next year (he had already taken over the starter role the end of this season) and be really good as long as he stays healthy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

They've all been weird nagging injuries, nothing major. He was already breaking out this year before the turf toe hurt him. 

He'll be the starter next year (he had already taken over the starter role the end of this season) and be really good as long as he stays healthy. 

Isn't Williams more of a 6'9 PF than a center.  I have not watched much of any of the playoffs and Boston.  To me Boston doesn't have a balanced roster where they got to many wings and no real PG or Center

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Isn't Williams more of a 6'9 PF than a center.  I have not watched much of any of the playoffs and Boston.  To me Boston doesn't have a balanced roster where they got to many wings and no real PG or Center

No, in 2021 he's a center. He is closer to 6'9" but he's got great length and is ultra athletic. He's a shot blocker and rebounder, and can switch defensively onto perimeter guys. 

Agree on the roster balance though. Boston has way too many wings, and while Kemba seems like a great guy and teammate, he's an undersized pg with a bad knee that is a defensively liability. They need to move him. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree on Kemba, Danny needs to find a way to move that salary. 

I wouldn't trade Jaylen Brown for Turner/Warren, and I don't think any GM in the NBA would. The Pacers would have to throw in a couple first round picks or get a 3rd team involved. 

Brown is already a star. I think the guy Boston would initially target in a Brown trade would be KAT. In that deal Boston would have to sweeten the pot, but how long is KAT going to be happy in Minnesota? But regardless, if they move Brown it will be for another all-star caliber player. 

As much as I love Jaylen Brown, I do agree that he and Tatum probably don't fit long term, unless you have a really strong lead point guard (distributor type) to go with them. 

I love the Lowry idea and even Ball as well. 

Yeah I figured. I agree maybe Pacers could turn their first pick into a player that could help the trade. We need a star.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No, in 2021 he's a center. He is closer to 6'9" but he's got great length and is ultra athletic. He's a shot blocker and rebounder, and can switch defensively onto perimeter guys. 

Agree on the roster balance though. Boston has way too many wings, and while Kemba seems like a great guy and teammate, he's an undersized pg with a bad knee that is a defensively liability. They need to move him. 

Williams has the longest wingspan I’ve ever seen! He does foul a lot too doesn’t he? Just not sure you can trust him more than 20 mins a night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Williams has the longest wingspan I’ve ever seen! He does foul a lot too doesn’t he? Just not sure you can trust him more than 20 mins a night.

I'm going off memory not stats, but I feel like he cleaned up the fouling this year a bit, and it's something that will get better with experience. 

• Like 1

@BGleas on the KAT thing...I agree that would be an awesome trade for Boston but not sure that does anything for Minnesota. One star for another. I guess I figure if they couldn’t keep him happy they would just tear it down and go for picks...Brown still wouldn’t make them a playoff team. But agree you got to net a big return.

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

LeBron can win you a Game 7 by himself at this point in his career, but not sure he can win you 2 out of 3. 

Yeah they won’t win tonight...but they are counting on winning at home and then Lebron in game 7. Not winning this one for sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

@BGleas on the KAT thing...I agree that would be an awesome trade for Boston but not sure that does anything for Minnesota. One star for another. I guess I figure if they couldn’t keep him happy they would just tear it down and go for picks...Brown still wouldn’t make them a playoff team. But agree you got to net a big return.

Oh for sure, that would be a lopsided trade. Boston would have to throw more in, but unfortunately for the league its a situation of a small market team needing to get something in return and not many teams are going to hand Minnesota a young all-star that averages 24-25ppg. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Kinda bummed about the west. Every team has like a key injury except the clippers. Would love to see all these team healthy.

Yeah. I'm watching the last few minutes of Denver-Portland and you wonder how far Denver could go with Jamal Murray, then of course you have AD out and Chris Paul hobbled in that series. 

Even look at the East too, Boston was missing Brown and Kemba, Embid is now hurt, Milwaukee lost DiVincenzo, etc. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Oh for sure, that would be a lopsided trade. Boston would have to throw more in, but unfortunately for the league its a situation of a small market team needing to get something in return and not many teams are going to hand Minnesota a young all-star that averages 24-25ppg. 

Yeah I don’t expect that...I think they would go for a ton of picks and a package of young players...probably a 3 team deal or something like what Lakers gave up for AD. So maybe Boston could work something out like that. If Ainge is waiting on something perfect like that...not sure that will ever materialize.

• Like 1