NBA Thread

If it’s Stotts I gotta think they plan to run it back or make marginal changes. I am hoping for big changes and go young. I mean look at Atlanta and Dallas and Memphis etc...get the right stud in the draft and build a young nucleus around them...add a couple veterans later when your ready to take the next step.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Had no idea that Stotts was from Bloomington

Not only did he graduate from Bloomington North but he was a member of the 1976 Indiana All-Star team with Mike Woodson.  He played 4 years at Oklahoma scoring over 1,000 pts.  His coach in college?  Dave Bliss.

• Like 3

It could have worked with new Nate had a much better assistant group of been brought in.  The assistant hires were not good whatsoever.  Should it be Terry Slotts my hope would be they bring in a defensive minded lead assistant, similar to Dan Burke.  Terry's defense scares me but his offense I am fine with.  

I see them either running it back OR Turner being shipped out.  TWolves and Hornets REALLY want Turner according to J. Michael(beat writer for the star covering pacers).  I could see a few players from each squad but in a return I want a first plus a proven player. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

It could have worked with new Nate had a much better assistant group of been brought in.  The assistant hires were not good whatsoever.  Should it be Terry Slotts my hope would be they bring in a defensive minded lead assistant, similar to Dan Burke.  Terry's defense scares me but his offense I am fine with.  

I see them either running it back OR Turner being shipped out.  TWolves and Hornets REALLY want Turner according to J. Michael(beat writer for the star covering pacers).  I could see a few players from each squad but in a return I want a first plus a proven player. 

Hornets I could see a trade work out...they want to move Rozier and let Ball take over. I could see this scenario. Rozier & Washington for Turner and A Holiday. That would allow us to move Brogdon off the ball or even involve him in another trade scenario....plus Rozier is an expiring deal and Washington is a nice young piece on rookie deal...has size and can play 3/4 and even small runs at the 5. Would kill our defense but well we weren't playing much anyways lol.

Minnesota not sure what they would give up. Would they give up Beasley? I mean they are trying to make the playoffs with the move but they do have Edwards...we already have Levert so not sure it helps us that much. They don't have a first unless it's top 3....not sure they would give up a top 3 pick for Turner lol. If I was them and I land a top 3 pick I am immediately moving KAT and Russell and doing a rebuild around lottery picks plus Edwards....it's only time before KAT demands a trade anyways. Not sure but likely the trade would have to be a future first plus Rubio for Turner.....yikes.

37 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hornets I could see a trade work out...they want to move Rozier and let Ball take over. I could see this scenario. Rozier & Washington for Turner and A Holiday. That would allow us to move Brogdon off the ball or even involve him in another trade scenario....plus Rozier is an expiring deal and Washington is a nice young piece on rookie deal...has size and can play 3/4 and even small runs at the 5. Would kill our defense but well we weren't playing much anyways lol.

Minnesota not sure what they would give up. Would they give up Beasley? I mean they are trying to make the playoffs with the move but they do have Edwards...we already have Levert so not sure it helps us that much. They don't have a first unless it's top 3....not sure they would give up a top 3 pick for Turner lol. If I was them and I land a top 3 pick I am immediately moving KAT and Russell and doing a rebuild around lottery picks plus Edwards....it's only time before KAT demands a trade anyways. Not sure but likely the trade would have to be a future first plus Rubio for Turner.....yikes.

I am not a fan of Rozier to be honest but he is about the only one that would make it work financially speaking along with Washington.  Washington I like cause he can possibly evolve into a stretch 4 if we can continue to work on his 3pt% slightly(he's at 38.1% after just two seasons.  Rozier would push the pace more compared to Brogdon.    

As far as Minnesota goes, I am intrigued with Culver.  If someone can help his shooting form/woes from FT line and 3pt line he could be dangerous(no issues from 2pt range as he is at 40.5%).  He can defend which we know we couldn't do this past year lol.  If Myles goes to Minny no way both he and KAT are on the roster together so I could envision a 3 way trade where we end up with a 1st from a third team and say Culver plus maybe another veteran PF, Myles ends up in Minny and the third team gets KAT.  

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I am not a fan of Rozier to be honest but he is about the only one that would make it work financially speaking along with Washington.  Washington I like cause he can possibly evolve into a stretch 4 if we can continue to work on his 3pt% slightly(he's at 38.1% after just two seasons.  Rozier would push the pace more compared to Brogdon.    

As far as Minnesota goes, I am intrigued with Culver.  If someone can help his shooting form/woes from FT line and 3pt line he could be dangerous(no issues from 2pt range as he is at 40.5%).  He can defend which we know we couldn't do this past year lol.  If Myles goes to Minny no way both he and KAT are on the roster together so I could envision a 3 way trade where we end up with a 1st from a third team and say Culver plus maybe another veteran PF, Myles ends up in Minny and the third team gets KAT.  

Minnesota actually wants a two way center. They want a rim protector. They want to move KAT to the PF position. At least that is what I've heard. They kinda want to go big. That said I still have a hard time envisioning that.

Agree on the Charlotte trade. It's the only thing that really works if they want Myles that bad. Perhaps third team could be the Clippers. Have Rozier go to the Clippers and in return we get Terance Mann and P Beverly. Both helps our defense and get a nice young piece that I think has some potential in the future as Mann can guard multiple positions and I think is ready to start knocking down 3's. Works in the trade machine. LA get's that bonified 3rd scoring option and starting point guard? 

We need PACE...pace and defense at the pg spot. I'm fully on board with moving Brogdon honestly. Not only do we have the twin tower issue but we have the pg issue too imo. I'd love to move Brogdon and Turner this offseason and get a young pg that can get up and down and that can pressure the ball some too. Could be interesting to see what we could get for Brogdon...I think there are some teams that want to take that next step to win now we could move him. Could we do a sign and trade with the Pelicans for Ball? Now we've gotten a lot deeper and stronger defensively on ball with a lineup of Ball, Levert, Warren, Washington, and Sabonis with Beverly, Mann, Goga, Martin and re-sign Doug Mcbuckets coming off the bench. Not to mention anything the rookie pick gives us. Go out and get a young rim protector and that's a decent team.

I also think Lamb is as good as traded too. Expiring team friendly deal...would be nice to send to a playoff caliber team to flip for a younger guy or defensive rim protection.

Edited by dgambill

The Pacers #1 need is a top PG so they can move Brogdon off the ball.  The Pacers really want to make a huge trade maybe put Brogdon and Turner or Sabonis.  I know it wouldn't ever happen but Brogdon, Sabonis and a first round pick for Lillard

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

The Pacers #1 need is a top PG sober can move Brogdon off the ball.  The Pacers really want to make a huge trade maybe put Brogdon and Turner or Sabonis.  I know it wouldn't ever happen but Brogdon, Sabonis and a first round pick for Lillard

Yeah...we just aren't going to land a star unfortunately...unless in the draft.....ala Donovan Mitchell (PG). If Portland traded Lillard it would be to tear down and rebuild not for compete now guys. :(

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The Pacers #1 need is a top PG so they can move Brogdon off the ball.  The Pacers really want to make a huge trade maybe put Brogdon and Turner or Sabonis.  I know it wouldn't ever happen but Brogdon, Sabonis and a first round pick for Lillard

it would take brogdon, sabonis and at a min two first rd picks and possibly even aaron holiday for Dame 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

it would take brogdon, sabonis and at a min two first rd picks and possibly even aaron holiday for Dame 

And then he would demand to be traded. No point in acquiring guys that wouldn't want to be here. Goal is to try to build something like Denver or Utah or Mil has done where you find a young star and add pieces around him....that said even that might not be enough to win a championship....we kind of did that with PG. Unfortunately like today's NBA that SUPER TEAM thing was going on and we couldn't get by Miami. That is Portland's problem for the most part. Couldn't get by Golden State. Might happen to Milwaulkie.....might not be able to get past Brooklyn. I hate that is the way it is but it just is....it's a copy cat league and this trend will keep continuing until we see well balanced deep ball clubs start winning it all again...until then it will be 3 elite players surrounded by aging vet off buyouts and minimum salary guys to win it all.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And then he would demand to be traded. No point in acquiring guys that wouldn't want to be here. Goal is to try to build something like Denver or Utah or Mil has done where you find a young star and add pieces around him....that said even that might not be enough to win a championship....we kind of did that with PG. Unfortunately like today's NBA that SUPER TEAM thing was going on and we couldn't get by Miami. That is Portland's problem for the most part. Couldn't get by Golden State. Might happen to Milwaulkie.....might not be able to get past Brooklyn. I hate that is the way it is but it just is....it's a copy cat league and this trend will keep continuing until we see well balanced deep ball clubs start winning it all again...until then it will be 3 elite players surrounded by aging vet off buyouts and minimum salary guys to win it all.

I mean, whoever comes out of the West is likely not going to be a Super Team. I'd say out of the 8 teams left, only 2 are what I would call Super Teams. You can definitely build a team through the draft to compete in today's NBA. 

The Pacers team that couldn't get past the Heat, also fell apart due to a freak injury or else they'd have had a longer window than they did. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean, whoever comes out of the West is likely not going to be a Super Team. I'd say out of the 8 teams left, only 2 are what I would call Super Teams. You can definitely build a team through the draft to compete in today's NBA. 

The Pacers team that couldn't get past the Heat, also fell apart due to a freak injury or else they'd have had a longer window than they did. 

Exactly. Is it harder to win a title in Utah, Indiana, Milwaukee, etc., etc., than it is in LA, Miami or other prime markets? Sure it is. 

But at the same time, the Knicks haven't been a contender since 1999, the Clippers have never been a contender, and if I'm being honest the Celtics have only been a true contender for about a 3-4 year period (2008-2010/12) since about 1987. Those are three of the most prime markets in the league. 

The bottom line is that you need smart management, an owner willing to go all-in when the opportunity is there, and of course some luck. 

The Pacers were unlucky with injuries to Granger and PG, but also have not had an owner willing to go all-in. I don't know if I believe this necessarily, but PG's side of the Pacers story is that he wanted to stay but his breaking point was when the top PF in the NBA (PG's words) called him and said he wanted to join him in Indiana and when PG brought this to management they wouldn't pull the trigger.

Again, I don't know if that is true, but it does sound like something Pacers management would do. You put PG with say Anthony Davis (assuming that is who PG was referrencing) on that Pacers squad and you're contending during that time period in the East. 

To win a title in the NBA you have to be smart and lucky, but regardless of the market it also requires an owner willing to spend when the team is close and an opportunity arises. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Exactly. Is it harder to win a title in Utah, Indiana, Milwaukee, etc., etc., than it is in LA, Miami or other prime markets? Sure it is. 

But at the same time, the Knicks haven't been a contender since 1999, the Clippers have never been a contender, and if I'm being honest the Celtics have only been a true contender for about a 3-4 year period (2008-2010/12) since about 1987. Those are three of the most prime markets in the league. 

The bottom line is that you need smart management, an owner willing to go all-in when the opportunity is there, and of course some luck. 

The Pacers were unlucky with injuries to Granger and PG, but also have not had an owner willing to go all-in. I don't know if I believe this necessarily, but PG's side of the Pacers story is that he wanted to stay but his breaking point was when the top PF in the NBA (PG's words) called him and said he wanted to join him in Indiana and when PG brought this to management they wouldn't pull the trigger.

Again, I don't know if that is true, but it does sound like something Pacers management would do. You put PG with say Anthony Davis (assuming that is who PG was referrencing) on that Pacers squad and you're contending during that time period in the East. 

To win a title in the NBA you have to be smart and lucky, but regardless of the market it also requires an owner willing to spend when the team is close and an opportunity arises. 

Yup, 100%. And the Pacers have been close enough multiple times in my NBA viewership that if they were willing to go all in they'd have at least one title most likely. The Reggie teams, the Jermaine O'Neal teams, and then the PG teams all had the pieces that they were one move away that never got made. 

And heck, San Antonio proves a small market team run right can win big in the NBA. 

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's the thing...there can only be so many super teams because there are only so many true superstars. I kinda look at the Clippers like that...Lakers...obviously the Nets. You can build through the draft but in the end these super teams have won a majority of the championships over the years....Lakers, GS, Cavs, Miami, Boston, Lakers again....only been a few teams in between that built it mostly traditional. Raptors got lucky GS had both stars go down in the finals...Spurs were certianly a special team for a long long time...Dallas was another lucky situation but an outlier. This adding stars together thing seems to be the way it has been going for a while....if you want to get over the top. Be nice to see Phoenix, Den, Utah or Atlanta win it all to hopefully buck the trend. Getting close isn't the goal....it's to win it all...and those have mostly been by teams that have had 2-3 stars and been put together not through the draft or organic you might say....or at least ways that most teams have been able to lure stars to come and play.

All I'm saying is a Clippers vs Nets final would be bad for the nba imo....and in bucking the trend that is hurting the league and small market teams in keeping their super stars.

Edited by dgambill

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That's the thing...there can only be so many super teams because there are only so many true superstars. I kinda look at the Clippers like that...Lakers...obviously the Nets. You can build through the draft but in the end these super teams have won a majority of the championships over the years....Lakers, GS, Cavs, Miami, Boston, Lakers again....only been a few teams in between that built it mostly traditional. Raptors got lucky GS had both stars go down in the finals...Spurs were certianly a special team for a long long time...Dallas was another lucky situation but an outlier. This adding stars together thing seems to be the way it has been going for a while....if you want to get over the top. Be nice to see Phoenix, Den, Utah or Atlanta win it all to hopefully buck the trend. Getting close isn't the goal....it's to win it all...and those have mostly been by teams that have had 2-3 stars and been put together not through the draft or organic you might say....or at least ways that most teams have been able to lure stars to come and play.

All I'm saying is a Clippers vs Nets final would be bad for the nba imo....and in bucking the trend that is hurting the league and small market teams in keeping their super stars.

GSW was built mostly traditional. Sure, they added KD after having won a title but even then, most of their team was built through the draft. 

Honestly, outside of teams with LeBron on them teams built through the draft have made up the majority if Finals participants the past decade.