NBA Thread

57 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not a fan at all of the ejection on Joker. 

Same. While he did wind up and follow through, he also absolutely was making a play on the ball. 

Sure, it was an aggressive swipe and out of frustration, but he still mostly got the ball. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Same. While he did wind up and follow through, he also absolutely was making a play on the ball. 

Sure, it was an aggressive swipe and out of frustration, but he still mostly got the ball. 

Exactly! I totally get a Flagrant 1, but it was a basketball play.

Then compare it to the Booker play they reviewed at the end that was a common foul and I struggle with it more. Booker made no attempt at making a basketball play and it's nothing, but Joker is ejected for a basketball play? I think he Booker play was called correctly, but the rules need to make more sense IMO. 

• Like 3

Well perhaps we are seeing an end to the super teams...injuries really shine a light on how fragile your team is when it relies on just a couple guys for soo much of their offense/load. LA with AD & Lebron, saw it in GS, Clippers are struggling to make it work with Kawhi/PG show, Brooklyn just riddled with injuries...then you look at teams like Mil, Pho, Atl, Utah, and 76ers and they are very deep and can withstand an injury or two. I was listening to the radio and I was fascinated to hear that basically he has played next to an MVP winning player his whole career and hasn't really won a series without help from one. Whether with Russ and Harden in OKC, Steph, Klay, and Draymond in GS, and Kyrie & Harden in Brooklyn. I really kind of see his legacy on the line here in this series. It's basically KD vs Gianis...MVP vs MVP. Since they went to MIL Tucker has really shut him down and owned him. KD can't even take a pee without Tucker there to help him shake it off. KD is going to have to really step it up because Tucker has been manhandling the last two games.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well perhaps we are seeing an end to the super teams...injuries really shine a light on how fragile your team is when it relies on just a couple guys for soo much of their offense/load. LA with AD & Lebron, saw it in GS, Clippers are struggling to make it work with Kawhi/PG show, Brooklyn just riddled with injuries...then you look at teams like Mil, Pho, Atl, Utah, and 76ers and they are very deep and can withstand an injury or two. I was listening to the radio and I was fascinated to hear that basically he has played next to an MVP winning player his whole career and hasn't really won a series without help from one. Whether with Russ and Harden in OKC, Steph, Klay, and Draymond in GS, and Kyrie & Harden in Brooklyn. I really kind of see his legacy on the line here in this series. It's basically KD vs Gianis...MVP vs MVP. Since they went to MIL Tucker has really shut him down and owned him. KD can't even take a pee without Tucker there to help him shake it off. KD is going to have to really step it up because Tucker has been manhandling the last two games.

I don't know that it has anything to do with super teams. I mean, super team or not, if you take 2 of the 3 best players off of any team in the NBA they are going to lose. 

Teams like Utah, Phoenix, Milwaukee, etc. are deeper than others, but take Paul and Ayton off of Phoenix and they are not going to the WCF. Take Middelton and Holiday off of Milwaukee and give Brooklyn Harden and Kyrie back and Brooklyn would sweep. 

While the Suns are deeper than the Lakers, with a healthy AD and LeBron, and say Paul and Ayton not playing, the Lakers would crush Phoenix. 

Any team needs the health of its top players in order to to win a title, regardless of how the team was constructed. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know that it has anything to do with super teams. I mean, super team or not, if you take 2 of the 3 best players off of any team in the NBA they are going to lose. 

Teams like Utah, Phoenix, Milwaukee, etc. are deeper than others, but take Paul and Ayton off of Phoenix and they are not going to the WCF. Take Middelton and Holiday off of Milwaukee and give Brooklyn Harden and Kyrie back and Brooklyn would sweep. 

While the Suns are deeper than the Lakers, with a healthy AD and LeBron, and say Paul and Ayton not playing, the Lakers would crush Phoenix. 

Any team needs the health of its top players in order to to win a title, regardless of how the team was constructed. 

Very true! Just thinking that some of those deeper teams have lost stars, and role players like Denver, Utah, and even Phoenix was playing with a gimpy Paul etc and they were able to withstand the first round and some were able to hold their own in the second. At this point for sure no matter who is without their stars you probably aren't advancing. But perhaps if you have a more balanced team like Utah then losing Mitchell for a game or two or losing Conley for a few games it doesn't sink your series. Of course if a guy like Doncic or Kawhi get's hurt any team is done...but putting so much of your team's eggs in a couple of fragile baskets like Brooklyn has is probably not a good bet. For example people are talking about GS or the Lakers adding another star to the team...but to do so would mean they would have to gut the starting cast and bench that supports them. If say one of those stars goes down again...you can't really survive because your too thin across the rest of your team and you can't make up for that lost scoring. I would say they are better off strengthening/upgrading their role players and bench with moves this year then going all in on a third star...because chances are AD or Klay etc might go down for a few games or worse and then do you have ANYONE that can step up and be that 2nd option or does the couple stars have to carry the whole load.

Looking at Denver they were able to survive a round without their second best player (basically starting backcourt) and Utah has survived without their second best offensive player, but yeah long term of course it wasn't going to work without them but at least you can still get out of the first round or whatever. I do get it though....it's all a gamble...if Brooklyn stay's healthy they probably win it all...maybe it's more so about who they tried to do it with and less of having a big 3. All of these guys were missing significant time all year...guess it shouldn't have been a surprise 1 went down...or even 2...although I thought Kyrie would be the healthiest of the 3...just he might space out and disappear for a week lol.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This Hawks team is so fun to watch! Hope they can finish this one off so this series gets pushed to at least 6. 

Same. Rooting for them so that the series gets interesting. It's getting a little chippy, so a 2-2 series will be fun to watch. 

• Like 2

All these stars getting hurt...if Embiid can't be himself you gotta think Atlanta has as good a chance as anyone to make it to the finals. I mean he looks like he is really hobbling....reminded me of old Patrick Ewing on that wide open layup where he just doesn't have any lift to finish because his knees are shot. Atlanta really doesn't have anyone to defend Gianis (haven't really been able to stop Harris so I can only imagine) but the way this post season is going...be shocked if he stays healthy for a whole series as it seems playoff injuries will be the story of this year.

Edited by dgambill

21 hours ago, dgambill said:

All these stars getting hurt...if Embiid can't be himself you gotta think Atlanta has as good a chance as anyone to make it to the finals. I mean he looks like he is really hobbling....reminded me of old Patrick Ewing on that wide open layup where he just doesn't have any lift to finish because his knees are shot. Atlanta really doesn't have anyone to defend Gianis (haven't really been able to stop Harris so I can only imagine) but the way this post season is going...be shocked if he stays healthy for a whole series as it seems playoff injuries will be the story of this year.

Looks to me like neither the Hawks or the Sixers will have to worry about stopping Giannis.  

• Like 1

Before I head for the noninternet world for a couple days. I have to say this. Don't even know the coaches but how you don't double KD last night is only equally amazing as not attacking Harden on every possession. The guy couldn't walk. 

Kawhi out. Chris Paul out. Have fun with your Wednesday. Haha.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Before I head for the noninternet world for a couple days. I have to say this. Don't even know the coaches but how you don't double KD last night is only equally amazing as not attacking Harden on every possession. The guy couldn't walk. 

Kawhi out. Chris Paul out. Have fun with your Wednesday. Haha.

You are exactly right! Horrible coaching. Charles Barkley was exactly right last night in the TNT halftime...the Bucks were playing so very dumb. That's the problem when you take bad shots and they go in. You look at the result and think your doing ok instead of looking at the process and realizing if you need to change things. You are exactly right....how in HADES do they not isolate or involve Harden who couldn't move a lick into more screen and roll?? How you don't change up your defense on KD...trap and force the ball out of his hands? Don't get me wrong....Jeff Green really really stepped up last night for them...he was amazing but you had guys like Brown and Shamet and Griffin and even Harris who really didn't shoot well. How in the heck does Giannis get Harden on him and he ends up with a fade away 17 footer in a key possession?? He has to be smarter...maybe he is afraid to get fouled and go to the line but why he wouldn't face him up...and take him off the dribble? Problem is when a few shots go down like Lopez hit some he just stands on the perimeter instead of going into the post and abusing the smaller defenders. Heck why they didn't bring in Bobby Portis another scrappy defender I don't know. Holiday was terrible 7-19 and 2-7 from 3....yikes with a gimpy Harden on him....dang. Just a disappointing performance. Should have been up 25-26 pts in the first half...easily left 10 pts on the floor and should have put that game away early...but let the Nets hang around and gave them life. I expect they win at home but the Nets will have a shot coming back home for game 7 even if this series should have been over.

• Like 1

Oh...and KD...I have to give him props...I know he is a great player but he really stepped up and showed his greatness. He has been able to win championships and rely on superstars beside him his entire career....last night he carried that team and it was VERY impressive! I thought he was too soft in Milwaulkie but he had a killer's heart last night.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

All of these injuries are a real shame, this was setup to be a great playoffs for the NBA, but literally every team has been decimated with injuries. 

Kind of whomever is the last team standing will win. I agree. Even though I don't like these "super teams" nor did I like the Lakers or Philly I really just want to see the best basketball being played and each team as close to how they've been constructed fight it out. We've seen some incredible performances as a result of the injuries and guys gutting it out but it just feels like almost a giant asterisk this postseason.....

Washington- Thomas Bryant (although he was out all season)

Boston- Kemba & Brown

Miami- Oladipo

Atlanta- Hunter

Mil-Divenchizo

Brooklyn-Harden, Kyrie, and Green

PHI-Embiid

Lakers-AD, Lebron (wasn't 100)

Dallas-Doncic was hurt much of series

Clippers-Kawhi

Denver-Murray, Barton, Dozier

Phx- CP3 not 100

Utah-Mitchell not 100, Conley

That is ROUGH! A lot of great players there. The team that can stay healthy likely will be the ones to finish it. If I'm a team that is still playing I have think....this is IT...this window might never open up again...time to get it done is now!

Edited by dgambill

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Huge opportunity for Paul George tonight. While he's certainly a great player, he has this perception of shrinking in the big moments in the playoffs. He has a chance to completely change that narrative tonight and the rest of this series with Kawhi out. 

What say you @Hoosierhoopster?

Wow...I thought he only banged knees the other night...he actually sprained it? Wow....playoff Paul....he could definitely change what that means for sure!

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

All of these injuries are a real shame, this was setup to be a great playoffs for the NBA, but literally every team has been decimated with injuries. 

No doubt.  I am now watching Copa Americas and Euro soccer over the NBA playoffs.  That has never happened. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Huge opportunity for Paul George tonight. While he's certainly a great player, he has this perception of shrinking in the big moments in the playoffs. He has a chance to completely change that narrative tonight and the rest of this series with Kawhi out. 

What say you @Hoosierhoopster?

Even if George does play good I think the Clippers are done with Kawhi out. I'm ok with admitting that the pettiness in me hopes George puts up a clunker the rest of these playoffs. 😁

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Kind of whomever is the last team standing will win. I agree. Even though I don't like these "super teams" nor did I like the Lakers or Philly I really just want to see the best basketball being played and each team as close to how they've been constructed fight it out. We've seen some incredible performances as a result of the injuries and guys gutting it out but it just feels like almost a giant asterisk this postseason.....

Washington- Thomas Bryant (although he was out all season)

Boston- Kemba & Brown

Miami- Oladipo

Atlanta- Hunter

Mil-Divenchizo

Brooklyn-Harden, Kyrie, and Green

PHI-Embiid

Lakers-AD, Lebron (wasn't 100)

Dallas-Doncic was hurt much of series

Clippers-Kawhi

Denver-Murray, Barton, Dozier

Phx- CP3 not 100

Utah-Mitchell not 100, Conley

That is ROUGH! A lot of great players there. The team that can stay healthy likely will be the ones to finish it. If I'm a team that is still playing I have think....this is IT...this window might never open up again...time to get it done is now!

Every game Luka plays, he is grimacing through something.  It seriously happens every game with. I wonder how much of it is the showman in him.   IMO, KP's knee soreness  after the late season ankle sprain was a much bigger issue in the playoffs.  Whatever usage he had during the season in the paint was there at all in the playoffs. Kleber's achilles was a big problem also.  Kleber was their most reliable 3 point shooter during the season and a solid defender who just really didn't have the same mobility.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Every game Luka plays, he is grimacing through something.  It seriously happens every game with. I wonder how much of it is the showman in him.   IMO, KP's knee soreness  after the late season ankle sprain was a much bigger issue in the playoffs.  Whatever usage he had during the season in the paint was there at all in the playoffs. Kleber's achilles was a big problem also.  Kleber was their most reliable 3 point shooter during the season and a solid defender who just really didn't have the same mobility.

Yep...Hardaway also had an ankle thing for a game or two and I thought it effected his jumper. Hard to say....I probably didn't watch as many games as you during the season from the sound of it (actually very few of Dallas) but he certainly didn't look healthy for a couple of those games with his neck....but then he came back strong after. Doncic to me also looks like he labors in 4th quarter a lot because he just doesn't appear to be in good shape....a little dough boy if you ask me!

Just a rough post season if you are a fan of watching teams have their best players playing at the peak of their ability. It really feels like this year more so than almost any other injuries have effected almost every single game/series. I know someone said it but gotta think the quick turnaround had a lot to do with it.

Edited by dgambill

After 24 years, Donnie Nelson and Mavs are parting ways.  IMO, that guy is really good.  He picked up a lot pieces from Cuban's meddling.  I sure hope RC is staying but one of the reasons he was in Dallas was working with Donnie.  Maybe RC moves up to the front office and JJ Barea comes back to coach.  I assumed JJ to be their next coach when it happens but not so soon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ATX_sig said:

After 24 years, Donnie Nelson and Mavs are parting ways.  IMO, that guy is really good.  He picked up a lot pieces from Cuban's meddling.  I sure hope RC is staying but one of the reasons he was in Dallas was working with Donnie.  Maybe RC moves up to the front office and JJ Barea comes back to coach.  I assumed JJ to be their next coach when it happens but not so soon.

I heard SVG is out...and he and Carlisle are good buds. I could see Cuban just cleaning house and trying for a fresh start. I would think Carlisle would be interested in the Milwaulkie job if it came available....what about the Celtics @BGleas   although I think they are going to go with a younger face I would assume.

Just now, dgambill said:

Yep...Hardaway also had an ankle thing for a game or two and I thought it effected his jumper. Hard to say....I probably didn't watch as many games as you during the season from the sound of it (actually very few of Dallas) but he certainly didn't look healthy for a couple of those games with his neck....but then he came back strong after. Just a rough post season if you are a fan of watching teams have their best players playing at the peak of their ability. It really feels like this year more so than almost any other injuries have effected almost every single game/series.

Yeh.  I'm a diehard Mavs guy.  Even healthy THJ has cold streaks the way he jacks up shots but yes, he was a bit gimpy too. I don't discount Luka playing hurt but he doesn't mind making sure everyone knows it

• Haha 1