NBA Thread

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Was talking to some guys yesterday about the Pacers.  TJ Warren must be more valuable than the new old coach.  He blew up in the bubble but only played 4 games last year due to injury.  I wont be too surprised if the pacers run this think back one more time.  The injuries were literally insane.  The guys that were considered starters only played 8 games together last year, not even counting Warren.  

The pacers blueprint will be like the pistons last run.  

Really really solid all the way around, fringe all stars in 4 or so spots.  They need luck.  They need good health.  Brogden, LeVert, Warren, Sabonis, Turner is a really solid 5.  If all 5 of those dudes stayed healthy, who is on the all star team next year?  Maybe none of them but that would actually be a good thing.  

I wont be mad if anyone gets traded but i doubt its Warren, at 12 mil a year with his last healthy showing being dropping 25 a game in the bubble.  

Pacers have a lot of tradable guys that would really really help a team try to get over the hump for a championship but all together the pieces don’t work well. They play terrible defense, don’t rebound well, and overall have no identity. Even all together that team is at best a 4 seed but more likely a 6 seed….and probably still can’t get out of first round. Ownership has to see that…and Simon I’m sure is just fine with that…but honestly you should move off just about everyone…including Sabonis especially. His value will never be higher. Pacers always wait too long to move guys. I move them all except maybe Levert and Warren…and let both of them raise value their value by being primary scorers on a bad team. But Sabonis, Brogdon, and Turner should absolutely be moved and you should even look at sign and trade options with Mcbuckets as I think he has decent value to a team needing 3pt shooting.

• Like 1

I know we all want to move off Turner but the issue is he really the only plus defender we have. You move him and our bad defense gets basically god awful…and if you move Sabonis instead and you lose so much of our offense scoring and facilitating out of the high post. Doesn’t work together but neither does it selling off either part. Just need to move both honestly. And if your going to do that then why hold on to Brogdon.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Pacers have a lot of tradable guys that would really really help a team try to get over the hump for a championship but all together the pieces don’t work well. They play terrible defense, don’t rebound well, and overall have no identity. Even all together that team is at best a 4 seed but more likely a 6 seed….and probably still can’t get out of first round. Ownership has to see that…and Simon I’m sure is just fine with that…but honestly you should move off just about everyone…including Sabonis especially. His value will never be higher. Pacers always wait too long to move guys. I move them all except maybe Levert and Warren…and let both of them raise value their value by being primary scorers on a bad team. But Sabonis, Brogdon, and Turner should absolutely be moved and you should even look at sign and trade options with Mcbuckets as I think he has decent value to a team needing 3pt shooting.

Fully agree.  So LeVert is on the hook for 17.5 next year.  If he can play like an all star(I think he can) then he's a steal and you hold.  I want a faster point guard.   But maybe if Brogden is the 3rd guy instead of needing to be the guy, he can thrive.  

The defense has to get back to respectable.  

Im thinking full small ball.  Let Brogden be a spot shooting, smart 2, bring in a speedster point, Levert and Warren on wings and corners.  

Screw it.  Get rid of both the bigs.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I've held back a long time, but I've gotta say it...I am SICK OF THIS THREAD!  NONE of these guys are gonna play for IU, so why is this in an IU basketball forum?!!

Careful ….you’re at risk of making sense 

in fairness though I may need this thread to get me by so don’t tempt anyone to end it 🤣

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Simmons couldn't even lead LSU to the tournament in college

Maybe Mavs could trade Brunson for Simmons.  Brunson was part of titles at Villanova and voted player of the decade in college, I think.  To balance salaries the Mavs could throw in Porzingus. 

31 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Fully agree.  So LeVert is on the hook for 17.5 next year.  If he can play like an all star(I think he can) then he's a steal and you hold.  I want a faster point guard.   But maybe if Brogden is the 3rd guy instead of needing to be the guy, he can thrive.  

The defense has to get back to respectable.  

Im thinking full small ball.  Let Brogden be a spot shooting, smart 2, bring in a speedster point, Levert and Warren on wings and corners.  

Screw it.  Get rid of both the bigs.  

I want that type of pg too…not sure where you find one. Maybe Mitchell in the draft? If we aren’t going to blow it up (and that’s a long shot) maybe we can move Turner to say GS, SA, or Charlotte or something like that for a late lottery picks. Take that and ours and move for someone like say Collin Sexton?? Cleveland already has Garland and is likely sitting on another top guard in the lottery. Definitely go small ball with that lineup Sexton, Brogdon, Levert, Warren, Sabonis. I mean no matter what we don’t have a ECF caliber team so I’d vote for all out tanking and getting 3-4 more first rd picks.

• Like 1

If you could move Sabonis for GS #14, Wiseman, and Oubre in sign and trade. We could possibly package #13 and #14 to move in top 10. Try to land an elite pg/sg at top of draft. Possibly move Turner as well…several teams looking at him for late lottery and fillers or a young player. We will have moved off Turner and Sabonis finally and have Wiseman, Warren, Oubre, Levert, Brogdon plus that top 10 pick and whatever Turner lands us..say the hornets give us Washington and #11. We would have a center for the future..young pg and young wing (maybe D Mitchell & S Barnes) would be perfect to mold while still fielding a team that can compete for a playoff spot…that might be the best of both worlds if you ask me. We are setting up for the future in basically 3 lottery picks but also still competing now…and one of them being a #2 center piece. And if the Pacers fall out of playoff contention then you can go full rebuild by moving Brogdon and Warren.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

Maybe Mavs could trade Brunson for Simmons.  Brunson was part of titles at Villanova and voted player of the decade in college, I think.  To balance salaries the Mavs could throw in Porzingus. 

Twin towers Porzingis and Embiid…good luck defending the pick n roll with those two lol. Like others said…I’d want shooting to surround Luka. I think both teams could try to move those guys just don’t think it works for each other.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Is it just me or does Tucker get to play 90s defense while everyone else is playing in the modern foul rules. I mean I’ve heard of sexual assault charges with less then he is molesting KD lol.

I saw that too …bump on every possession …also is it just me or wasnt jrue holiday actually good when we waded into the playoffs with the Pelicans a couple years back ? He looks horrible 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

If you could move Sabonis for GS #14, Wiseman, and Oubre in sign and trade. We could possibly package #13 and #14 to move in top 10. Try to land an elite pg/sg at top of draft. Possibly move Turner as well…several teams looking at him for late lottery and fillers or a young player. We will have moved off Turner and Sabonis finally and have Wiseman, Warren, Oubre, Levert, Brogdon plus that top 10 pick and whatever Turner lands us..say the hornets give us Washington and #11. We would have a center for the future..young pg and young wing (maybe D Mitchell & S Barnes) would be perfect to mold while still fielding a team that can compete for a playoff spot…that might be the best of both worlds if you ask me. We are setting up for the future in basically 3 lottery picks but also still competing now…and one of them being a #2 center piece. And if the Pacers fall out of playoff contention then you can go full rebuild by moving Brogdon and Warren.

I’m not a fan of moving sabonis because he hasn’t stopped getting better …if we do move someone we can’t move him AND Turner can we ? We had the injury bug so we never saw them all together but if they can get along I think a brogdon, Warren, lavert, sabonis, Turner with McDermott lamb and McConnell off the bench is about as good a small market group as you can put together without lucking into an all nba player in the draft 

54 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I’m not a fan of moving sabonis because he hasn’t stopped getting better …if we do move someone we can’t move him AND Turner can we ? We had the injury bug so we never saw them all together but if they can get along I think a brogdon, Warren, lavert, sabonis, Turner with McDermott lamb and McConnell off the bench is about as good a small market group as you can put together without lucking into an all nba player in the draft 

Sabonis can’t shoot 3…doesn’t rebound great, and plays awful defense. He is excellent at the high post offensively but it’s about selling high. GS is about only team I make that trade because it gets Wiseman a corner stone piece (answers the center position once and for all) and lands you another lottery pick.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

One thing about Giannis, you can not be the Defensive Player of the Year and not be defending Durant in these situations. Heck, they don't even have him on Harden. 

I was surprised by that. He acts like he is sick all night. Middleton actually has done a good job.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sabonis can’t shoot 3…doesn’t rebound great, and plays awful defense. He is excellent at the high post offensively but it’s about selling high. GS is about only team I make that trade because it gets Wiseman a corner stone piece (answers the center position once and for all) and lands you another lottery pick.

I’ll have to look but I think sabonis was top five or six in rebounds per game ….defense I’ll give you but I thought that’s what Turner was for ……..unless lillard has a soft spot for indiana then I’d trade either or both 

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

KD is amazing! Was really happy to see Jrue Holiday step up late, while I think he's a little overrated, he's a great guy and great teammate so wanted him to do well. 

Budenholzer is not good. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

One thing about Giannis, you can not be the Defensive Player of the Year and not be defending Durant in these situations. Heck, they don't even have him on Harden. 

Budenholzer ALWAYS has that confused look on his face ……I dislike Kevin Durant and that was about as good a playoff game as I’ve seen someone play and lose …he carried them completely 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Budenholzer ALWAYS has that confused look on his face ……I dislike Kevin Durant and that was about as good a playoff game as I’ve seen someone play and lose …he carried them completely 

Durant was phenomenal. It just hurt Brooklyn that Harden was so hobbled and Irving was out. Not that I'm feeling bad for them, they might be the most dislikable trio in the league. 

• Like 1