NBA Thread

I really hate comparing eras, or saying that guys from 30 years couldn’t compete today. That couldn’t be further from the truth. 

Do any of you really believe if players from different eras were playing today, they’d appear and play as they did back then? Absolutely not. I’d be willing to bet that players from the Golden Era, or previous decades, would be just as successful today as they were back then. They’d be given the same supplements, nutrition etc as the players of today.

The top dogs will always find a way to eat, no matter the time. It’s pointless to say otherwise. 

Edited by Danomatic
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I really hate comparing eras, or saying that guys from 30 years couldn’t compete today. That couldn’t be further from the truth. 

Do any of you really believe if players from different eras were playing today, they’d appear and play as they did back then? Absolutely not. I’d be willing to bet that players from the Golden Era, or previous decades, would be just as successful today as they were back then. They’d be given the same supplements, nutrition etc as the players of today.

The top dogs will always find a way to eat, no matter the time. It’s pointless to say otherwise. 

Oh I completely agree that the players from that era would adapt and take advantage of all the modern information we have now. But as they were 30 years ago, the average athlete then wasn't as good as the average athlete now. 

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Oh I completely agree that the players from that era would adapt and take advantage of all the modern information we have now. But as they were 30 years ago, the average athlete then wasn't as good as the average athlete now. 

I feel like that should be common knowledge. I recently had a similar conversation with someone about baseball. They claimed that Babe Ruth couldn’t put up numbers against today’s pitchers, which I agreed… 1927 Ruth wouldn’t be able to stay above the “Mendoza line” against the best pitchers from today. BUT 2021 Babe Ruth would’ve been the phenom that we all would have imagined him being in 1927. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I feel like that should be common knowledge. I recently had a similar conversation with someone about baseball. They claimed that Babe Ruth couldn’t put up numbers against today’s pitchers, which I agreed… 1927 Ruth wouldn’t be able to stay above the “Mendoza line” against the best pitchers from today. BUT 2021 Babe Ruth would’ve been the phenom that we all would have imagined him being in 1927. 

You would think that's common knowledge (I agree it should be), but we have posters that wouldn't agree. 

7 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I would like to point out something else that exists today that didn't in 'yesteryear' and that be youth leagues to perpetuate sports other than baseball.  And these kids start playing young.  

• Like 1

Okay let's play.   dream team versus this year's all NBA team.  

Starting five versus first team

Magic Jordan Pippin Barkley Ewing 

Luka, Kahwi, jokic, giannis, Curry.  

The only advantage I see is jokic versus Ewing, Ewing would not be able to step out and guard him but that's okay cuz you can bring David Robinson in off the bench or Karl Malone.  The mailman would just come in and break his forearms like Popeye the sailor Man.

I don't see this extreme athletic discrepancy that some of you guys are fantasizing about. I think we tend to remember the latter years of a player's career when they started to slow down rather than remembering them in their prime like Clyde the glide drexler not old man gray-haired Clyde.

Or Larry Bird struggling to pick himself up off the floor with a bad back in his last year or two.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

I would like to point out something else that exists today that didn't in 'yesteryear' and that be youth leagues to perpetuate sports other than baseball.  And these kids start playing young.  

I’d beg to differ, as far as baseball goes anyway. There are more youth playing baseball and soccer right now, than ever before. I coach travel teams and I’ve never seen so many kids playing the game at a competitive level. 

20 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I’d beg to differ, as far as baseball goes anyway. There are more youth playing baseball and soccer right now, than ever before. I coach travel teams and I’ve never seen so many kids playing the game at a competitive level. 

You are right but there are many now also playing football and basketball etc... My 1st opportunity to play organize basketball was in the 5th grade, my kids began playing in Preschool. I think that is what he meant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You are right but there are many now also playing football and basketball etc... My 1st opportunity to play organize basketball was in the 5th grade, my kids began playing in Preschool. I think that is what he meant.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.  

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

The only advantage I see is jokic versus Ewing, Ewing would not be able to step out and guard him but that's okay cuz you can bring David Robinson in off the bench or Karl Malone.  The mailman would just come in and break his forearms like Popeye the sailor Man.

I don't see this extreme athletic discrepancy that some of you guys are fantasizing about. I think we tend to remember the latter years of a player's career when they started to slow down rather than remembering them in their prime like Clyde the glide drexler not old man gray-haired Clyde.

Or Larry Bird struggling to pick himself up off the floor with a bad back in his last year or two.  

I probably wouldn't put Ewing at the top of the Center position. Jabaar, Robinson, Chamberlain and Ologuwan(sp).  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

They dont need a 4.  Unless they try to move Tobias Harris and his 36 million 

I'd take Sabonis over Harris any day of the week.  You trade Harris to make it work for Sabonis any day.  Sabonis and Embiid would be fun together.  No frontcourt would be better than them two together

Edited by dwtaylor1055

28 minutes ago, rico said:

I think Philly is looking for a dynamic PG?

I agree...I think that is what they are looking for....hard to get yourself one of those. It's interesting because Brogdon kind of fits the Simmons mold. He isn't a prototypical pg...he has size to guard 1-3, facilitates well but while he might not rebound and effect shots like Simmons he can shoot much much better. Plus just maybe Philly has a decent pg combo in Maxey/Milton who create some. I don't think it is a perfect trade for them...but it might just be the best trade they can get to help them now. I just can't see Simmons landing them Beal or Lillard which is what Philly has been holding out for. The thing with Simmons is he really only fits on a few teams. Those teams though to land him would have to give up what makes him fit or draft capital which Philly wants to win now so doesn't help. I suggested a couple like Indy, Minnesota, or maybe Chicago but the 76ers aren't getting all-star talent back. I think they should switch it up...and look for the right pieces and maybe some cap flexibility then hold themselves to trying to get an all-star for an all-star. This idea of whomever gets the best player in the trade is always the winner I think is a bit short sighted...especially when the best player in this scenario is pretty flawed.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't think the athletic discrepancy is in the elite players, it's in the average player.

Also, what year is that your starting five for the old school guys? 

EDIT: Missed that this is the Dream Team. If that is the case, Steph is certainly better than Magic at that point. I'm not sure using the Dream Team versus an All-NBA team which isn't actually the five best players today is entirely fair, though...

Edited by KoB2011

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I'd take Sabonis over Harris any day of the week.  You trade Harris to make it work for Sabonis any day.  Sabonis and Embiid would be fun together.  No frontcourt would be better than them two together

We would have to fleece them, like an unprotected #1 and one of their prospects.  

your trading a 20 mil all star for a solid 36 mil a year guy.  

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Three way trade to send Harris elsewhere.  No way would I want Harris in Indiana lol 

Thats fine.  

I just have not been understanding some of these trade ideas.  

Like hey, pacers get one of the top 5 worst contracts in the league and we will take 2 of your starters and your best 3 point shooter off the bench just because the salary adds up to equal 36 mil.  

No.  hard pass.

For as bad as Pritchard has drafted, he has traded very well here and in Portland.  

Anyone who trades for Simmons will probably get at least 1 future 1st rounder.  Which likely would be like a 25th or later pick, unless Embiid gets hurt which is likely.  

I just dont see the pacers as a prospect for a major trade with philly.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I just dont see the pacers as a prospect for a major trade with philly.

Completely agree. There's no way the Sixers are trading Simmons for Sabonis as the primary piece. They need an elite guard to pair with Simmons (edit: meant to pair with Embiid, not Simmons), not a 4. They need people like Lillard or McCollum, Beal, etc. Not saying those guys are realistic for the Sixers (McCollum is probably the most realistic) but those are the types they need. 

Not hating it as a Celtics fan, but for the Sixers it is unfortunate what has happened to Simmons trade value in just a couple of weeks. 

• Like 2