NBA Thread

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. There's no way the Sixers are trading Simmons for Sabonis as the primary piece. They need an elite guard to pair with Simmons, not a 4. They need people like Lillard or McCollum, Beal, etc. Not saying those guys are realistic for the Sixers (McCollum is probably the most realistic) but those are the types they need. 

Not hating it as a Celtics fan, but for the Sixers it is unfortunate what has happened to Simmons trade value in just a couple of weeks. 

You mean to pair with Embid?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Okay let's play.   dream team versus this year's all NBA team.  

Starting five versus first team

Magic Jordan Pippin Barkley Ewing 

Luka, Kahwi, jokic, giannis, Curry.  

The only advantage I see is jokic versus Ewing, Ewing would not be able to step out and guard him but that's okay cuz you can bring David Robinson in off the bench or Karl Malone.  The mailman would just come in and break his forearms like Popeye the sailor Man.

I don't see this extreme athletic discrepancy that some of you guys are fantasizing about. I think we tend to remember the latter years of a player's career when they started to slow down rather than remembering them in their prime like Clyde the glide drexler not old man gray-haired Clyde.

Or Larry Bird struggling to pick himself up off the floor with a bad back in his last year or two.  

Are you bringing AD, Lebron, Durant and Harden off the bench or are they not allowed to play.  Who gets Tim Duncan.  Don't care how many points Malone scored give me Duncan all day long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. There's no way the Sixers are trading Simmons for Sabonis as the primary piece. They need an elite guard to pair with Simmons, not a 4. They need people like Lillard or McCollum, Beal, etc. Not saying those guys are realistic for the Sixers (McCollum is probably the most realistic) but those are the types they need. 

Not hating it as a Celtics fan, but for the Sixers it is unfortunate what has happened to Simmons trade value in just a couple of weeks. 

I think Minnesota is the most likely landing scenario for Ben Simmons. Minnesota wants to get better defensively and they have the best combination of guys (that someone would trade) along with the equal need to make a deal. Minnesota needs the defense improvement and they are desperate to do ANYTHING to get into the playoff picture. KAT will only wait around so long. The obvious trade is Dangelo Russell for Simmons. Works capwise and you have two imperfect players swapped out that might fit their new home better than their old one. Minnesota still has Edwards and Beasley along with KAT...and may end up with a top 3 pick which obviously could end up being another elite guard like Cunningham/Suggs etc. Play Simmons at the 4 and guard opposing teams best wing. BIG upgrade for them....but they don't desperately need Simmons scoring but could use him ala Draymond Green...passing to all those scorers. Maybe they throw Culver in the deal to sweeten up the pot or a future protected first. By the time the Wolves need to re-sign those young stars Simmons would be entering his final year and likely could be moved for cap space if necessary. The 6ers get immediate offensive production...a second scorer that they desperately need. They have a small window really. I don't really care for Russells game but if you look by the numbers he is a 20 pt 6 ast and last year shot 38% from 3. He is more a combo guard but certainly can slide over if you need him to. Issue is you lose a ton of defense...but well your not going to trade an all-nba defensive player and get better there...you have to rely on Thybulle and others stepping up or making a move in free agency for a 3 and D wing....which is easier to find then addressing that point guard position. There is even the possibility of moving him for Beasley and Rubio and draft picks but I think after looking at the options the Russell trade makes the most sense for both teams.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

While not great he has been a 60% FT shooter his entire career with 1300 FTs taken and now after 34% on what 75 free throws thaat is the new norm that won't recover from.  I understand the concern over the 3's as that has been his whole career.  I thought Barkley made a decent point that Philly has probably tried so a hard to make him the PG early in his career rather work on his actual weakness.  Who knows but could be a decent point.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think Minnesota is the most likely landing scenario for Ben Simmons. Minnesota wants to get better defensively and they have the best combination of guys (that someone would trade) along with the equal need to make a deal. Minnesota needs the defense improvement and they are desperate to do ANYTHING to get into the playoff picture. KAT will only wait around so long. The obvious trade is Dangelo Russell for Simmons. Works capwise and you have two imperfect players swapped out that might fit their new home better than their old one. Minnesota still has Edwards and Beasley along with KAT...and may end up with a top 3 pick which obviously could end up being another elite guard like Cunningham/Suggs etc. Play Simmons at the 4 and guard opposing teams best wing. BIG upgrade for them....but they don't desperately need Simmons scoring but could use him ala Draymond Green...passing to all those scorers. Maybe they throw Culver in the deal to sweeten up the pot or a future protected first. By the time the Wolves need to re-sign those young stars Simmons would be entering his final year and likely could be moved for cap space if necessary. The 6ers get immediate offensive production...a second scorer that they desperately need. They have a small window really. I don't really care for Russells game but if you look by the numbers he is a 20 pt 6 ast and last year shot 38% from 3. He is more a combo guard but certainly can slide over if you need him to. Issue is you lose a ton of defense...but well your not going to trade an all-nba defensive player and get better there...you have to rely on Thybulle and others stepping up or making a move in free agency for a 3 and D wing....which is easier to find then addressing that point guard position. There is even the possibility of moving him for Beasley and Rubio and draft picks but I think after looking at the options the Russell trade makes the most sense for both teams.

I've heard that Minnesota scenario as being a fit as well. I've mostly heard it with both Russell and Beasley going to Philly as part of the deal. 

I'm not a big Russell fan, so I don't mind him going to Philly, but as a Sixers fan I'm not sure I'd love that. It does fill the need, but man it would be so hard to swallow trading a guy who 6 months ago was talked as the centerpiece for getting James Harden, to now settling for D'Angelo Russell. 

But, that is the situation they're in, and paired with guys like Seth Curry, Danny Green, Thybull, Maxey, etc., and adding Russell and Beasley, that would be a fairly dynamic perimeter group of guards and wings around Embiid. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

While not great he has been a 60% FT shooter his entire career with 1300 FTs taken and now after 34% on what 75 free throws thaat is the new norm that won't recover from.  I understand the concern over the 3's as that has been his whole career.  I thought Barkley made a decent point that Philly has probably tried so a hard to make him the PG early in his career rather work on his actual weakness.  Who knows but could be a decent point.  

I think the problem with Simmons is that he flat out refuses to shoot outside the paint. The problem isn't necessarily that he can't do it, it's that he won't do it. Giannis is somewhat similar, but at least he takes them when he's open. Of course you have to make sure he doesn't fall in love with 3's and perimeter shots, but I'll take that problem over the problem with Simmons. 

The franchise has also done a disservice to him. I said this before, but why hasn't Brett Brown and now Doc Rivers almost forced him to take perimeter shots and work on it in games like vs. Orlando in February when you're up 20 int he 3rd quarter? The Sixers org has let hime get away with this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I've heard that Minnesota scenario as being a fit as well. I've mostly heard it with both Russell and Beasley going to Philly as part of the deal. 

I'm not a big Russell fan, so I don't mind him going to Philly, but as a Sixers fan I'm not sure I'd love that. It does fill the need, but man it would be so hard to swallow trading a guy who 6 months ago was talked as the centerpiece for getting James Harden, to now settling for D'Angelo Russell. 

But, that is the situation they're in, and paired with guys like Seth Curry, Danny Green, Thybull, Maxey, etc., and adding Russell and Beasley, that would be a fairly dynamic perimeter group of guards and wings around Embiid. 

Yeah....a year ago they could have landed this guy or that....but the hard pill is reality....it isn't a year ago and your commodity was just EXPOSED for everyone to see all his warts. He isn't landing that quality anymore. I don't even think Portland should move Mccollum for him...I think they could do much better in surrounding Lillard with a package of guys or closer to another max level wing. I don't think Beasley and Russell would work cap wise...too much money. Philly would have to send $$ back (11m)...so who..George Hill?? Curry would fit. I think Philly would get the better of that deal if they send Simmons and Hill for Beasley and Russell. Maybe?? I just think Minnesota is one of those teams that is desperate to make a deal this offseason as Philly. I think both are equally motivated...and Ben's defense and facilitating is EXACTLY a fit for their young team...and Philly we all see needs backcourt scoring for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think the problem with Simmons is that he flat out refuses to shoot outside the paint. The problem isn't necessarily that he can't do it, it's that he won't do it. Giannis is somewhat similar, but at least he takes them when he's open. Of course you have to make sure he doesn't fall in love with 3's and perimeter shots, but I'll take that problem over the problem with Simmons. 

The franchise has also done a disservice to him. I said this before, but why hasn't Brett Brown and now Doc Rivers almost forced him to take perimeter shots and work on it in games like vs. Orlando in February when you're up 20 int he 3rd quarter? The Sixers org has let hime get away with this. 

I'm not even worried about the 3...it's ANY shot...just work on a mid range jumper for crying out loud....and then afraid to take it to the basket to get fouled....kid is damaged goods upstairs. He doesn't have to shoot 3's but he can't be afraid to shoot period. I mean look at Jaylon Brown...he didn't just immediately expand his game into shooting 3's...but he has become deadly in the mid range...guys like Derozen....just be effective at knocking down those 15-17 footers...or even learn a floater in the lane....geez any offensive move besides layups and dunks. smh Is it any coincidence that the 6ers have basically had two #1 picks that have had mental issues shooting?? First what happened with Fultz and then Simmons.....their player development must be AWFUL.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah....a year ago they could have landed this guy or that....but the hard pill is reality....it isn't a year ago and your commodity was just EXPOSED for everyone to see all his warts. He isn't landing that quality anymore. I don't even think Portland should move Mccollum for him...I think they could do much better in surrounding Lillard with a package of guys or closer to another max level wing. I don't think Beasley and Russell would work cap wise...too much money. Philly would have to send $$ back (11m)...so who..George Hill?? Curry would fit. I think Philly would get the better of that deal if they send Simmons and Hill for Beasley and Russell. Maybe?? I just think Minnesota is one of those teams that is desperate to make a deal this offseason as Philly. I think both are equally motivated...and Ben's defense and facilitating is EXACTLY a fit for their young team...and Philly we all see needs backcourt scoring for sure.

Agree on Portland. Simmons could maybe make sense there alongside Lillard and McCollum, but if you remove McCollum and add Simmons, Lillard will be on an island offensively. Obviously Portland doesn't have the assets to add Simmons without giving up McCollum though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

Are you bringing AD, Lebron, Durant and Harden off the bench or are they not allowed to play.  Who gets Tim Duncan.  Don't care how many points Malone scored give me Duncan all day long.

I guess we could look at 92 vs 21 all nba teams.  

I think the depth of 21 may be too much to overcome.  Hard to say.  

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So…will the Pacers do the impossible and land a top 3 pick??! Will the Minnesota pick go to GS? We shall know soon!

I hope Slick Leonard spirit is on the room with the machine that the lottery uses.  They are sending Mrs. Leonard as their representative at the lottery.

If the Pacers is fortunate to get the top pick who would you think they should pick.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hope Slick Leonard spirit is on tj broom with the machine that the lottery uses.  They are send Mrs. Leonard ad their representative at the lottery.

If the Pacers is fortunate to get the top pick who would you think they should pick.

I mean it’s like a 1% chance…but sure Cunningham seems like a sure bet. Green probably next up. 

As for where our pick is likely to land. Would love Mitchell or Bouknight to fall to us but who knows who will be there.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean it’s like a 1% chance…but sure Cunningham seems like a sure bet. Green probably next up. 

As for where our pick is likely to land. Would love Mitchell or Bouknight to fall to us but who knows who will be there.

I think the top need is a legitimate PG but there very few of those in today's game

I think it is time for the Pacers to get a break when it comes to the lottery.  3 times in the 80's they got the 2nd pick and we know that the Knicks envelope was frozen in 85.

83- Sampson and we got Stepanovich.

85- Ewing and we got Tisdale.

88- Manning and we got Smits which turned out OK

Edited by IU Scott

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A couple of names in mock drafts I have seen linked to the Pacers.

Jalen Johnson- Duke would not like that pick since he quit on his team.

Franz Wagner- Michigan.

Corey Kispert- Gonzaga.

Not sure if any of these players would make the Pacers a lot better team.

No I don’t think there is a future star ala PG at 13. Solid role players yes. The Giddy kid seems intriguing. 

With GS officially getting the Wolves pick at 7…I think let the trades begin. Definitely that pick is going to be shopped hard…I think the draft is deep of contributing players…but I do think at about 7…the draft drops off quite a bit.

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A couple of names in mock drafts I have seen linked to the Pacers.

Jalen Johnson- Duke would not like that pick since he quit on his team.

Franz Wagner- Michigan.

Corey Kispert- Gonzaga.

Not sure if any of these players would make the Pacers a lot better team.

Jalen has most upside out of the guys projected to be at 13 besides Giddy. Jalen fills a need as a small ball four off the bench with high upside. 

don’t want Wagner pass

kispert can shoot but would we replace Doug with Kispert and spend the money that would have gone to Doug on a stretch four off the bench?

Giddy has my eyes. Can pass and create for teammates. His shot can be improved with help.  He has a lot of upside here. 

10 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Jalen has most upside out of the guys projected to be at 13 besides Giddy. Jalen fills a need as a small ball four off the bench with high upside. 

don’t want Wagner pass

kispert can shoot but would we replace Doug with Kispert and spend the money that would have gone to Doug on a stretch four off the bench?

Giddy has my eyes. Can pass and create for teammates. His shot can be improved with help.  He has a lot of upside here. 

The guys filling in for DD said they are hearing the Pacers want Thad Young back for leadership.  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I’ve heard this as well. Would love for him to return. Thad has one year left for $14 mil so he’d have to be acquired 

If the pacers would ever trade guys when there is no hope of a post season run we could have a cache of picks to sling around, but no.  They always just finish it out and let solid rile players walk for nothing.  

• Like 2

Just a note for those that say players today aren't fundamental or that they don't care about free throw shooting, etc.

The Suns and Clippers this year finished #1 and #2 in free throw percentage...In NBA HISTORY! 

Edit: They said this during the broadcast. I tried looking it up quickly but haven't been able to confirm the stat yet. 

• Like 2