NBA Thread

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, no way that was fake. 

I guess Bill Russell, Satch Sanders,, K.C. Jones, M.L. Carr, and Doc Rivers don't count. 

https://nesn.com/2021/06/twitter-roasts-jay-williams-for-explanation-about-celtics-tweet/#:~:text=The NBA guard-turned-analyst,%2C” Williams tweeted Wednesday night.

Pretty funny responses to his "my twitter was hacked" excuse

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The Hawks and Trae Young are legit!

It’s also worth having a conversation about the 2018 draft, where Phoenix to some degree and definitely have gotten some crap about their draft. I think a reasonable conversation can be had that both of those teams absolutely made the right pick in that draft. 

Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta...I think they all made good decisions. I mean Sacramento is basically the Cleveland Browns at this point...they just going to do Sacramento things...but they all won that draft. Kind of like the 84 draft honestly. Can't hate on Houston for taking Olajawon....and it worked out...then you have Portland...of course Bulls and Philly but everyone at the top made out very well and all look smart. Going to have some generational talent in that 18 draft. I have to admit...I might be wrong...I didn't think you could compare Trae Young to Steph Curry....but dangit if he isn't close!

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, he's getting roasted. Rightfully so. 

At least people are calling him out on it. I fully, 100% understand the significance of opportunities for African Americans and making advancements after being marginalized and discriminated against over the past 150 some odd years since their freedom but to push false narratives and make sweeping and broad claims and implications and act like there hasn't been ANY advances and changes in our society isn't just wrong I think it's very harmful to the continued progress that we all want to see. And pushing these false narratives denigrates all the progress, sacrifice, and significant actions that has gotten us here and to this point. To ignore all the other black coaches and in Russell's case a player coach...I mean Boston get's a bad rap for a lot of things but it isn't like the Celtics organization has had an agenda over the years to keep out black men in positions of authority...geez...but I guess all those that came before don't fit the agenda..despite all their INCREDIBLE accomplishments...I mean how many championship trophies have african american coaches won in the nba?? And how many were won in Boston?? Hmm....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what was going on there with Jay Williams and Steven A and  all those making these claims.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Pacers bring back Carlisle 

Probably means we are just making some minor changes to the roster....no rebuild....same ol Pacers...we can't make the playoffs or get out of the first round...let's hire the guy who hasn't won a series in the playoffs in a decade since the Mavs won it. Missed the playoffs 4 times and lost in the first rd 6 times. That is a sure fire way to turn this thing around. Same ol Pacers!

Edited by dgambill

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

At least people are calling him out on it. I fully, 100% understand the significance of opportunities for African Americans and making advancements after being marginalized and discriminated against over the past 150 some odd years since their freedom but to push false narratives and make sweeping and broad claims and implications and act like there hasn't been ANY advances and changes in our society isn't just wrong I think it's very harmful to the continued progress that we all want to see. And pushing these false narratives denigrates all the progress, sacrifice, and significant actions that has gotten us here and to this point. To ignore all the other black coaches and in Russell's case a player coach...I mean Boston get's a bad rap for a lot of things but it isn't like the Celtics organization has had an agenda over the years to keep out black men in positions of authority...geez...but I guess all those that came before don't fit the agenda..despite all their INCREDIBLE accomplishments...I mean how many championship trophies have african american coaches won in the nba?? And how many were won in Boston?? Hmm....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what was going on there with Jay Williams and Steven A and  all those making these claims.

Agree. The Celtics have had the most African American coaches in NBA history, had the first African American coach in NBA history, and have won 5 titles with an African American head coach. 

So, this was a very weird mistake by Jay Williams. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Anybody who calls the Celtics organization "racist" doesn't know much about NBA history...

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. The Celtics have had the most African American coaches in NBA history, had the first African American coach in MBA history, and have won 5 titles with an African American head coach. 

So, this was a very weird mistake by Jay Williams. 

They also were the first team to field an all black starting 5 (1964).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What makes you think he will do any better this time then the last time he was here? 

What makes you think he won't? The circumstances are completely different. He might as well be joining a completely different franchise then the one he left over a decade ago.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Probably means we are just making some minor changes to the roster....no rebuild....same ol Pacers...we can't make the playoffs or get out of the first round...let's hire the guy who hasn't won a series in the playoffs in a decade since the Mavs won it. Missed the playoffs 4 times and lost in the first rd 6 times. That is a sure fire way to turn this thing around. Same ol Pacers!

I expect changes to the roster. It’ll be interesting to see how much influence on the roster Carlisle gets because the franchise is clearly paying him more than they have past coaches which is a major change. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

What makes you think he won't? The circumstances are completely different. He might as well be joining a completely different franchise then the one he left over a decade ago.

Of course...but this speaks to me that we are going to try the same ol thing we've been doing. It isn't exclusively HIM...it's the DIRECTION of the franchise. We are going to run it back...and we want an established coach for established players but also a coach that has shown he has struggled in the new era (the way the game has changed in the last 7-8 years) that he hasn't been able to get out of the first rd. I don't dislike Carlisle as much as this is just an uninspiring hire for a team that isn't well put together and has little upside and in my mind this signals we just want someone that will squeeze out a little more of this team and maybe win 5-10 more games and make sure we make the playoffs...but once there we still don't have a shot to win anything. That is all. Like Stott would have been....this is "in the box" thinking for an organization that doesn't like to take chances or swing big.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What makes you think he will do any better this time then the last time he was here? 

Well the last time he was here would have been a championship team if not for the brawl. So if he does that good, minus the brawl, I will be satisfied.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I expect changes to the roster. It’ll be interesting to see how much influence on the roster Carlisle gets because the franchise is clearly paying him more than they have past coaches which is a major change. 

Doesn't matter how much influence they give him....Simon won't let him gut the team and make wholesale changes...he won't let Pritchard do that. His hands will be tied even if the give him permission to play around the edges of the roster.

Just now, dgambill said:

Doesn't matter how much influence they give him....Simon won't let him gut the team and make wholesale changes...he won't let Pritchard do that. His hands will be tied even if the give him permission to play around the edges of the roster.

Just because he won't be allowed to tank like you keep calling for doesn't mean he won't be allowed to make major moves...

We just got a guy who is a championship coach and widely regarded as one of the better coaches in the NBA. We paid him a lot more than what we have paid for previous coaches. I see this is a sign that we are going to invest in having a good team, how you are seeing this as same ole, same ole is honestly beyond me. The last time the Pacers hired a proven coach like this it was Larry Brown. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Well the last time he was here would have been a championship team if not for the brawl. So if he does that good, minus the brawl, I will be satisfied.

Again...it isn't so much him as it is more of the same...a sign that we aren't going to shake this thing up. Moving Myles Turner is not going to fix this team...it needs massive overhaul which would require building it from the ground up instead of trying to piece meal this thing into a winner. It's a team of a whole bunch of good players but they don't compliment each other and they don't have an identity together. I think Carlisle will improve our W/L but this team is far from "competing" for a deep run...just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Simon will allow Pritchard and Carlisle to change the team within reason.  This hire indicates they're ready to try and compete now and for the foreseeable future and not rebuild.  I see one of Myles or Sabonis being traded possibly and even trading the 13th pick for a veteran guy that can step in and make an impact day one.  This hire helps the W/L column a little, but the moves with players will determine if we move past the first rd or no.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Again...it isn't so much him as it is more of the same...a sign that we aren't going to shake this thing up. Moving Myles Turner is not going to fix this team...it needs massive overhaul which would require building it from the ground up instead of trying to piece meal this thing into a winner. It's a team of a whole bunch of good players but they don't compliment each other and they don't have an identity together. I think Carlisle will improve our W/L but this team is far from "competing" for a deep run...just my opinion.

So hiring the best available coach (not to say some up and comers couldn't end up better) is more of the same?

If Carlisle had never coached here you wouldn't be saying this. If his name was Quinn Snyder or Nick Nurse you'd be ecstatic right now - Carlisle is in that realm of coaches he just happens to have coached here over a decade ago. 

EDIT: there are two teams in the conference Finals who missed the playoffs last year and didn't make shot roster shake ups. They added quality pieces and both teams are really deep, well balanced rosters. The Pacers aren't going to win with elite superstars, we have to build teams like we have in the past and how teams like Phoenix, Utah, Atlanta, Milwaukee, etc have done so. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1