NBA Thread

I don’t want to pick on PG but I can’t help it as a spurned fan…remember John Starks…PG didn’t want anything to do with those free throws…he wanted no part of it. A jumper in game when you aren’t thinking about it is one thing…standing on the line with the whole world watching is another. Takes a special kind of killer to put the game away then. Maybe it’s why so many players in today’s game shy away from the line.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The games are played by humans and ate reffed by humans and I don't like taking the human element out of the game.  I am just saying the reviews takes away the excitement from an entertaining game.  I just think it is more exciting for the game when there is a flow to the end of the game.

I think we can all agree on replay… we want it to be wide in scope but limited in implementation. You saw it clearly you don’t need to let players force you into reviewing it. But no one wants a Saints/Rams scenario or something obvious going against your team after fighting hard for 48 mins to have it ripped away at the last second. Just make it judicious and make it quick…I think we all can agree on that.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The games are played by humans and ate reffed by humans and I don't like taking the human element out of the game.  I am just saying the reviews takes away the excitement from an entertaining game.  I just think it is more exciting for the game when there is a flow to the end of the game.

That didn’t even attempt to answer my question. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Is there a change toward modern society and technology that you do like?

probably the landline telephone with those long cords out of the wall.  They had those back in the 80s.  I hate replay because it is so fun when teams lose on wrong calls. We can talk about that for years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Playoff P with the choke job!!!! Let’s go Suns!!!!!

I didn't watch the game but seen the highlights and when they showed Playoff P miss those free throws I might have giggled like a little school girl. 😀  👍

They need to start calling him Regular Season G.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

I didn't watch the game but seen the highlights and when they showed Playoff P miss those free throws I might have giggled like a little school girl. 😀  👍

They need to start calling him Regular Season G.

He had all in all a pretty down game…last two he just hasn’t been as efficient as he was against the Jazz…but in the 4th quarter up to those free throws he was finishing strong…but yeah the two free throws are unforgivable. Going to haunt him.

Hobestly looking at the rosters…LA has the more mature, playoff proven, talented team…without Kawhi and Chris Paul the Clippers should have the advantage….I was impressed how the Suns gritted that game out…led by a guy that was out of the league just a couple years ago. I mean look at the Clippers roster…that’s still a team given who is left in the playoffs that should be favored to win…Reggie Jackson, Patrick Beverley, Rondo, Paul George, Mann, Batum, Morris, Kennard, Zubac, and Cousins…a ton of playoff experience and really well fit together talented players. Suns have so much youth and yes are pretty talented but honestly the Clippers should be seen as favorite until either star comes back.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Ben Simmons to the Clips for Paul George...

We give Paul George hell because he choose to leave...unlike our hero Reggie Miller who could have opted to chase rings etc. Both were LA guys that came to this Hick town and one became a Hoosier at heart and the other became kind of a diva. Even though PG is vastly superior skill wise than Reggie he will never be remembered the same...he could have been beloved. Obviously he is super talented player but not too many are going to root for their ex to marry a movie star. We may not hate them or despise them but we aren't rooting for them to live out their fantasy right in front of our face. (unless we are getting alimony from them lol) Yeah...I even know it wasn't all one side with him getting fed up and leaving...but I'm not going to root to watch a guy lead a team to a championship while my team wallows in mediocrity. If and when the Pacers win a championship I give PG permission to be happy lol! And that's the mentality of sports fans....it doesn't have to make sense or even be correct thinking...we are by definition irrational people lol.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/21/2021 at 4:04 PM, cybergates said:

I love the 80s Lakers vs Celtics, but when you look at the moves that someone like Kevin Heurter does that basically no one on the either of those teams could do (they weren't prevalent/"invented" back then), you can see that the players today are more advanced. However, those teams were very good at what they did and didn't "need" those moves. Part of the reason why IMO it is impossible to compare teams/players from different eras objectively.

Also with completely different officiating practices and rule standards 

• Like 1

I didn’t watch a ton of suns games this year until the last two series in the playoffs ….I don’t have a team coming to mind that top of lineup for bottom shares the ball better since the first couple years the curry warriors became a force.  They all attack but are all willing to make a second and third pass to get the best shot…there was a series in the fourth where a dribble drive by Payne led to a pass to a cutter who immediately dumped to saric inside which would have resulted into a contested, albeit quality ,  post shot 99 times of 100 but without missing a beat saric threw across the lane to a baseline cutter all three passes happened in a split second …..the cutter fumbled the ball but it was high level iq and high level effort moving without the ball.  The suns are FUN

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Boston going with Udoka for HC

Just saw that. Seems like a good hire. Played in the league, comes from the Popovich tree, and apparently Tatum, Brown and Smart really support the hire as they played for him at the World Championships two summers ago. 

You never know how these things will pan out, but seems like a strong hire. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just saw that. Seems like a good hire. Played in the league, comes from the Popovich tree, and apparently Tatum, Brown and Smart really support the hire as they played for him at the World Championships two summers ago. 

You never know how these things will pan out, but seems like a strong hire. 

Yeah...I was just going to post something similar. Gotta think those World Championships where he coached Tatum and Brown were key to the Celtics and players signing off on him. In the end it will come down to personnel though...they still have work to be done but I think this is a good start.

Edit....oh and are the Celtics still racist or does this satisfy the arbitrator of truth Steven A.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I didn’t watch a ton of suns games this year until the last two series in the playoffs ….I don’t have a team coming to mind that top of lineup for bottom shares the ball better since the first couple years the curry warriors became a force.  They all attack but are all willing to make a second and third pass to get the best shot…there was a series in the fourth where a dribble drive by Payne led to a pass to a cutter who immediately dumped to saric inside which would have resulted into a contested, albeit quality ,  post shot 99 times of 100 but without missing a beat saric threw across the lane to a baseline cutter all three passes happened in a split second …..the cutter fumbled the ball but it was high level iq and high level effort moving without the ball.  The suns are FUN

I thought Spurs title teams had incredible ball movement.   The Mavs title team did too. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...I was just going to post something similar. Gotta think those World Championships where he coached Tatum and Brown were key to the Celtics and players signing off on him. In the end it will come down to personnel though...they still have work to be done but I think this is a good start.

Edit....oh and are the Celtics still racist or does this satisfy the arbitrator of truth Steven A.

image.thumb.png.f45f757b4b1886d484c6c9f76ad26108.png

He claims it was a fake tweet FWIW

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

I thought Spurs title teams had incredible ball movement.   The Mavs title team did too. 

I've always said, if someone asked me how to play basketball or how it should be played, I'm throwing in a tape of the Spurs 2014 Finals performance against Miami. 

That was an absolute offensive clinic that they put on Miami. The ball movement, the people movement, the passing and shooting was as elite as it gets. 

• Like 1

The Hawks and Trae Young are legit!

It’s also worth having a conversation about the 2018 draft, where Phoenix to some degree and definitely have gotten some crap about their draft. I think a reasonable conversation can be had that both of those teams absolutely made the right pick in that draft. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s also worth having a conversation about the 2018 draft, where Phoenix to some degree and definitely Atlanta have gotten some crap about their draft. I think a reasonable conversation can be had that both of those teams absolutely made the right pick in that draft. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s also worth having a conversation about the 2018 draft, where Phoenix to some degree and definitely have gotten some crap about their draft. I think a reasonable conversation can be had that both of those teams absolutely made the right pick in that draft. 

Raise your hand if you thought Trae Young would be this good (or even close) coming out of college.

Now, those that have your hand raised, admit you are a liar.

5 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Raise your hand if you thought Trae Young would be this good (or even close) coming out of college.

Now, those that have your hand raised, admit you are a liar.

I didn't think he would be great. Also after what Stephen A had to say about not wanting to go to Milwaukee or Phoenix for the finals I am now hoping those two make the finals

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I didn't think he would be great. Also after what Stephen A had to say about not wanting to go to Milwaukee or Phoenix for the finals I am now hoping those two make the finals

He wasn’t the only one who said it, either. 

I can certainly understand why someone would prefer to live in a bigger city or something different than those cities, but as far as going to the Finals for work? Both of those cities have ample things to do to keep you entertained. I personally prefer both of those cities over LA and Atlanta every day of the week. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

He wasn’t the only one who said it, either. 

I can certainly understand why someone would prefer to live in a bigger city or something different than those cities, but as far as going to the Finals for work? Both of those cities have ample things to do to keep you entertained. I personally prefer both of those cities over LA and Atlanta every day of the week. 

A lot of these reporters said the same thing about Indianapolis when they were hosting the Super Bowl.  Afterwards a  lot of people was surprised how well Indy did hosting the Super Bowl.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A lot of these reporters said the same thing about Indianapolis when they were hosting the Super Bowl.  Afterwards a  lot of people was surprised how well Indy did hosting the Super Bowl.

100%. These are all major cities, they’re going to do a good job. To some degree the smaller cities are better set up for events like this and have more to prove. 

Finals in LA? So what, there’s a million other things going on and it’s summer in SoCal.