NBA Thread

This is a good tweet by Reggie. Maybe some of the Pacer players need to look at themselves in the mirror.

I could see anyone of Turner, Brogdon or Sabonis traded, or maybe all three. Sabonis is a really good player but I just don't think he is a player you can build a strong team around.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

This is a good tweet by Reggie. Maybe some of the Pacer players need to look at themselves in the mirror.

I could see anyone of Turner, Brogdon or Sabonis traded, or maybe all three. Sabonis is a really good player but I just don't think he is a player you can build a strong team around.

Amen to this and glad Reggie shot this out there. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

He is a good second best player on a contender IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I would. The scuttle is Rick grew tired of dealing with Luka and that he isn’t easy to coach…don’t think he wants any part of a reunion.

From my time watching the Mavs, I would be pretty cautious wanting to coach Luka. He's very ball dominant, a bit of a diva on the court, and I'm honestly not sure how much better he makes others. 

He's still very young and on his way to a Hall of Fame career and will likely win at least one title, I'm just saying despite being perhaps the most talented of the young stars in the league I'm not sure that he'd be the first one I would pick for my team. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

From my time watching the Mavs, I would be pretty cautious wanting to coach Luka. He's very ball dominant, a bit of a diva on the court, and I'm honestly not sure how much better he makes others. 

He's still very young and on his way to a Hall of Fame career and will likely win at least one title, I'm just saying despite being perhaps the most talented of the young stars in the league I'm not sure that he'd be the first one I would pick for my team. 

Just things are slowly starting to leak out in Dallas…the changes make sense. Apparently he is like you said very arrogant and doesn’t listen..rolls his eyes when coached and basically I think things are starting to add up with Carlisle and Nelson leaving and Carlisle saying he thinks Kidd might be a better fit as a coach (he also gave Carlisle some issues but obviously they worked through it). Add in the Porzingis stuff and we’ll it seems he isn’t the most easy superstar to work with.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Just things are slowly starting to leak out in Dallas…the changes make sense. Apparently he is like you said very arrogant and doesn’t listen..rolls his eyes when coached and basically I think things are starting to add up with Carlisle and Nelson leaving and Carlisle saying he thinks Kidd might be a better fit as a coach (he also gave Carlisle some issues but obviously they worked through it). Add in the Porzingis stuff and we’ll it seems he isn’t the most easy superstar to work with.

Luka is extremely nice to the fans off the court(met him a few times since he's entered the league when they play the Pacers), however, on the court is a different story.  I agree with you

• Like 2

June 24th, 2021 at 12:24pm CST by Luke Adams
  • In the wake of reports that he has been hired to coach the Pacers, Rick Carlisle offered the following quote to Tim MacMahon of ESPN (Twitter link😞 It’s a team of skilled, unselfish guys that play hard. It’s always possible that moves could be made before the season, but I think (president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard) and I are both very excited about getting the roster healthy and seeing what this team can be.”
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rico said:
June 24th, 2021 at 12:24pm CST by Luke Adams
  • In the wake of reports that he has been hired to coach the Pacers, Rick Carlisle offered the following quote to Tim MacMahon of ESPN (Twitter link😞 It’s a team of skilled, unselfish guys that play hard. It’s always possible that moves could be made before the season, but I think (president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard) and I are both very excited about getting the roster healthy and seeing what this team can be.”

We shall see....I'm expecting a 5-6 seed and a first round exit if they don't make any serious moves. They will look good in the regular season because they will play plenty of tanking teams and teams that don't play hard every night. Feast on them like the Knicks did...but when it get's time for the playoffs if they still have a flawed roster...it will be lights out. Rinse and repeat.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We shall see....I'm expecting a 5-6 seed and a first round exit if they don't make any serious moves. They will look good in the regular season because they will play plenty of tanking teams and teams that don't play hard every night. Feast on them like the Knicks did...but when it get's time for the playoffs if they still have a flawed roster...it will be lights out. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah, we shall see.  Out of curiosity I wonder what your reaction will be if the Pacers stay status quo and end up in the ECF?  LOL

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah, we shall see.  Out of curiosity I wonder what your reaction will be if the Pacers stay status quo and end up in the ECF?  LOL

I would be shocked. I'm a Pacer fan...of course I would love it but I just hate the current identity of the team. Maybe Carlisle can change that...not sure. We have a lot of good pieces but they just don't fit well together. The sum doesn't equal the parts. It doesn't feel like the team was built with a cohesive identity or to compliment each other...it was like let's just acquire the best guys we can afford or make moves for the best player we can get...although that player doesn't compliment our other players and his style doesn't fit our other guys etc etc. The team has a lot of good parts I'm not saying they will be bad....but I don't think we match up well against any of the top teams. Atlanta, Mil, Brooklyn, Philly...even Boston. I guess we will find out...but the issue is we will look fine in the regular season and so we won't make a shake up but then the season always comes to an abrupt end once we get to the playoffs.

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I would be shocked. I'm a Pacer fan...of course I would love it but I just hate the current identity of the team. Maybe Carlisle can change that...not sure. We have a lot of good pieces but they just don't fit well together. The sum doesn't equal the parts. It doesn't feel like the team was built with a cohesive identity or to compliment each other...it was like let's just acquire the best guys we can afford or make moves for the best player we can get...although that player doesn't compliment our other players and his style doesn't fit our other guys etc etc. The team has a lot of good parts I'm not saying they will be bad....but I don't think we match up well against any of the top teams. Atlanta, Mil, Brooklyn, Philly...even Boston. I guess we will find out...but the issue is we will look fine in the regular season and so we won't make a shake up but then the season always comes to an abrupt end once we get to the playoffs.

I am more inclined to follow what Rick said above.  Get healthy, see what the draft gets us, and take it from there.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rico said:

I am more inclined to follow what Rick said above.  Get healthy, see what the draft gets us, and take it from there.  

I'd like to reload...hang on to a couple pieces like Levert and say Warren...and use Sabonis, Turner, and  Brogdon as primary trade pieces to bring in some young players that have shown some flashes and to perhaps add a piece or two in this draft. I really would like to see a young point guard that can push us up tempo. I also would like to get off Sabonis and Turner and solve this center problem once and for all. I'm not talking about tanking for the next 3 years and getting rid of everyone...just retooling...taking a year or two and giving a few young guys a shot to see if they blow up into something. Give us a new trajectory. I don't think what we have is necessarily bad..just it is limited...the ceiling is about there with this team. I think it's too good to think mid season we will make wholesale changes but yet not good enough that we can get into that ECF/Championship contender. In the end we will end up right back at this same point next year. I just don't see a path forward...a vision....wait and see doesn't cut it for me...or at least doesn't excite me. Anyways...it will be interesting to see what we do in the draft....a lot of ways it could go...do we play it safe with the guy that can help the team the most right in this moment or do we look for a piece that isn't ready to help right now but has the upside that maybe they can be something special down the road?

Edited by dgambill

How do we really know if they fit because they haven't played together long enough to know

• Like 1

I'd like to reload...hang on to a couple pieces like Levert and say Warren...and use Sabonis, Turner, and  Brogdon as primary trade pieces to bring in some young players that have shown some flashes and to perhaps add a piece or two in this draft. I really would like to see a young point guard that can push us up tempo. I also would like to get off Sabonis and Turner and solve this center problem once and for all. I'm not talking about tanking for the next 3 years and getting rid of everyone...just retooling...taking a year or two and giving a few young guys a shot to see if they blow up into something. Give us a new trajectory. I don't think what we have is necessarily bad..just it is limited...the ceiling is about there with this team. I think it's too good to think mid season we will make wholesale changes but yet not good enough that we can get into that ECF/Championship contender. In the end we will end up right back at this same point next year. I just don't see a path forward...a vision....wait and see doesn't cut it for me...or at least doesn't excite me. Anyways...it will be interesting to see what we do in the draft....a lot of ways it could go...do we play it safe with the guy that can help the team the most right in this moment or do we look for a piece that isn't ready to help right now but has the upside that maybe they can be something special down the road?

I'd love to package our pick and either Turner or Sabonis to GSW, then move Warren to the 4, CL to the 3, Brogdon to 2, and draft Davion Mitchell.

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2