NBA Thread

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't either, but it does seem a little odd that it's his second franchise where he could (we don't know if it will happen yet) be using the medical staff as a reason to force his way out. 

Just seems odd. 

He doesn't need to force his way out if he's a free agent.   He may be over protective but I don't feel that he forcing his way out..  I don't think he walks from a prime chance at a title without a good reason (injury).  I don't trust Skip Bayless either.   The media needs something to talk about with a lack of marquis FA's. We know Kawhi won't talk even to say he's staying.   So the media can play this up until he signs to stay. If he has surgery then that will be good indicator he is really hurt. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean they had the lead until Trae got hurt. Hard to ignore that IMO. 

If you are just going to live and die by Trae then to me you don’t have what it takes to win it all. Other guys have to step up. I mean he just kinda tweeked it. He was still in there playing. Just saying they have to be more multifaceted and they have to learn how to win when they aren’t just splashing threes. Look at Milwaulkie…they have won games every which way in this playoffs. They have been tested. Atlanta is now in a pressure packed series against a veteran team that looks like they have figured it out. Sure the Hawks beat Philly but Philly is a team in turmoil and their superstar was playing on injured knees. They might figure it out…but Nate just saying this is like the last series won’t help…The bucks are significantly better than Philly and the Hawks have to make most of their chances. To let this game get away and not dig deep…they are in trouble imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

If you are just going to live and die by Trae then to me you don’t have what it takes to win it all. Other guys have to step up. I mean he just kinda tweeked it. He was still in there playing. Just saying they have to be more multifaceted and they have to learn how to win when they aren’t just splashing threes. Look at Milwaulkie…they have won games every which way in this playoffs. They have been tested. Atlanta is now in a pressure packed series against a veteran team that looks like they have figured it out. Sure the Hawks beat Philly but Philly is a team in turmoil and their superstar was playing on injured knees. They might figure it out…but Nate just saying this is like the last series won’t help…The bucks are significantly better than Philly and the Hawks have to make most of their chances. To let this game get away and not dig deep…they are in trouble imo.

I agree they’re in trouble, but I don’t think it’s remotely fair to just say “if they can’t win when their best player is hurt they don’t have what it takes”. They’re already down one of their best players in Hunter and Bogey is playing injured. Trae was having a great game prior to the injury then looked like a shell of himself. 

The Nets couldn’t overcome injuries. The Lakers couldn’t. The Jazz couldn’t. The Clippers probably won’t be able to. This isn’t a problem unique to the Hawks, it’s true of most teams in the history of basketball. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree they’re in trouble, but I don’t think it’s remotely fair to just say “if they can’t win when their best player is hurt they don’t have what it takes”. They’re already down one of their best players in Hunter and Bogey is playing injured. Trae was having a great game prior to the injury then looked like a shell of himself. 

The Nets couldn’t overcome injuries. The Lakers couldn’t. The Jazz couldn’t. The Clippers probably won’t be able to. This isn’t a problem unique to the Hawks, it’s true of most teams in the history of basketball. 

All I meant is they don't have someone else that can step up in that moment and help hold on to the lead and help them to a win. Not so much they can't win without Trae Young....but when Trae is being limited and taken away...where is that guy..who is stepping up. Just saying they are showing their youth. Huerter was that guy game 7 against Philly but they need a consistent guy...not just one that shows up here and there. They just haven't grown up yet is all....nothing bad about them at all. I think they are finally facing some adversity in this playoffs and I'm watching to see what the supporting cast will do. Teams will keep attacking Trae...those others have to find a way to rise up.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All I meant is they don't have someone else that can step up in that moment and help hold on to the lead and help them to a win. Not so much they can't win without Trae Young....but when Trae is being limited and taken away...where is that guy..who is stepping up. Just saying they are showing their youth. Huerter was that guy game 7 against Philly but they need a consistent guy...not just one that shows up here and there. They just haven't grown up yet is all....nothing bad about them at all. I think they are finally facing some adversity in this playoffs and I'm watching to see what the supporting cast will do. Teams will keep attacking Trae...those others have to find a way to rise up.

I just see it differently. I don’t think Atlanta is good enough to win it all yet, I just don’t see the fact that they lost a game that they had a lead prior to Trae getting hurt as some indictment on them. 

They have faced adversity. They were down 2-1 to Philly and got blown out in games 2 and 3. They probably aren’t good enough to beat Milwaukee, but Milwaukee is one of those teams that when they play their game is pretty dang hard for anyone to beat. When they’ve lost the pay few years (and almost this year) it was trying to play someone else’s game. And at time, I can’t even say their opponent forced it, it was just Milwaukee settling and trying to play a game that doesn’t suit them. When Giannis is shooting 90% of his shots in the paint/restricted area he is probably the most dominant interior scorer this side of Shaq. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I just see it differently. I don’t think Atlanta is good enough to win it all yet, I just don’t see the fact that they lost a game that they had a lead prior to Trae getting hurt as some indictment on them. 

They have faced adversity. They were down 2-1 to Philly and got blown out in games 2 and 3. They probably aren’t good enough to beat Milwaukee, but Milwaukee is one of those teams that when they play their game is pretty dang hard for anyone to beat. When they’ve lost the pay few years (and almost this year) it was trying to play someone else’s game. And at time, I can’t even say their opponent forced it, it was just Milwaukee settling and trying to play a game that doesn’t suit them. When Giannis is shooting 90% of his shots in the paint/restricted area he is probably the most dominant interior scorer this side of Shaq. 

Oh I agree. I just meant last night was the first time in the playoffs I really saw Atlanta's youth kind of be a detriment to their run. The shots they settled for down the stretch etc and the fact that they didn't have anyone else that could step up and lead them when Trae wasn't at his best really stood out to me. I think they are a fabulous team...lot's of great shooters...but somewhat limited because outside of Trae they really don't have another shot creator on the team...a guy that can go and get his own or set up others. That will be something they will have to address. I mean we've seen a couple guys do a bit here and there (Huerter) but they just aren't ready to do it on a regular basis. Still I would take what they have built over what the Pacers have any day.

45 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh I agree. I just meant last night was the first time in the playoffs I really saw Atlanta's youth kind of be a detriment to their run. The shots they settled for down the stretch etc and the fact that they didn't have anyone else that could step up and lead them when Trae wasn't at his best really stood out to me. I think they are a fabulous team...lot's of great shooters...but somewhat limited because outside of Trae they really don't have another shot creator on the team...a guy that can go and get his own or set up others. That will be something they will have to address. I mean we've seen a couple guys do a bit here and there (Huerter) but they just aren't ready to do it on a regular basis. Still I would take what they have built over what the Pacers have any day.

Gotcha, then yeah we are on the same page. I do think Hunter can be that second guy for them, he just is hurt. He isn’t so much going to be the facilitator that Trae is, but he should be a guy who can go get a quality shot for himself. 

I thought last night Nate should have played Lou when Trae wasn’t 100%. Atlanta looked fine while Trae was out and Lou was running things, it fell apart when Trae came back at less than himself. Hate to say typical Nate, but if the shoe fits….

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Gotcha, then yeah we are on the same page. I do think Hunter can be that second guy for them, he just is hurt. He isn’t so much going to be the facilitator that Trae is, but he should be a guy who can go get a quality shot for himself. 

I thought last night Nate should have played Lou when Trae wasn’t 100%. Atlanta looked fine while Trae was out and Lou was running things, it fell apart when Trae came back at less than himself. Hate to say typical Nate, but if the shoe fits….

Yeah...I mean you bring him in to be that veteran presence....to kind of settle things down and the consimate pro that can get a bucket. Well...I like Nate...but I mean he has quite a few faults in his coaching. Kind of funny it was one of the Pacer fan knocks on him was that he didn't want to play young guys but now he has ALL young guys lol. Out of all the coaches left in playoffs I think he is the weakest link.

Edited by dgambill

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...I mean you bring him in to be that veteran presence....to kind of settle things down and the consimate pro that can get a bucket. Well...I like Nate...but I mean he has quite a few faults in his coaching. Kind of funny he one of the Pacer fan knocks on him was that he didn't want to play young guys but now he has ALL young guys lol. Out of all the coaches left in playoffs I think he is the weakest link.

I just want to interject that coaches feel the pressure and succumb to it as well.  Just something to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rico said:

I just want to interject that coaches feel the pressure and succumb to it as well.  Just something to keep an eye on.

Very good point. I thought Nash made some mistakes late in that series as well. We always think the nba is mostly about the players and in college coaching has more impact but indeed...they can definitely play a role.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Very good point. I thought Nash made some mistakes late in that series as well. We always think the nba is mostly about the players and in college coaching has more impact but indeed...they can definitely play a role.

People think this because they assume the NBA just rolls the ball out there and they take turns playing one on one, which you and I both know couldn’t be further form the truth. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

People think this because they assume the NBA just rolls the ball out there and they take turns playing one on one, which you and I both know couldn’t be further form the truth. 

Oh no doubt. And the way players force coaching changes...but that is really only the very elite end of the spectrum. Now sometimes there is nothing else you can change but the coaches (Portland/Clippers last year) but it's clear when a coach has to go (Indy) that can be a real big factor in success. I mean I know Carlisle will add 5-8 wins alone this year...I just don't see the roster getting over the hump though.

56 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Paul George has made so many bad decisions in this game already. 

2 turnovers (should have been 3 but he recovered the ball on one) on terrible passes, settling for deep 3's when he has Ayton on him, etc. 

What i had meant was, Paul George is really good. Has 20 in the 3rd quarter. 

• Haha 4