NBA Thread

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It certainly is a good starting off point for the next year, which I think is a pivotal one for USA soccer. 

Absolutely. Can’t remember us having this many nationals playing high level soccer in England and Europe. A lot of young guys that are pretty special. Been hearing about the next great hope (star) well we might not have one but a group of really good players coming up. Been awhile but finally starting to see some progress on the men’s side.

9 hours ago, BeenShermin said:

PJ Tucker was on the wrong side of a poster that is gonna be replayed for years.  

It was a nice dunk but let's be real...it will be forgotten in a couple weeks. There is a dunk like this every playoff series if not more. I mean we thought that about the Kawhi dunk against the Mavs and I had to go back to even find the name of the guy he did it on....then couldn't find it right away because he did it on Derrick Favors the next series....this is just part of the NBA...it's like a one handed catch in the NFL...it was an incredible play but it's old news in a week because how common this stuff is for these super athletes.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been on vacation in California and not watching the finals.  I'll probably start watching closer now.  I have been able to DVR all the Copa and Euro matches and watched them instead during vacation.  The injuries factored in so much that I do not believe we are seeing the best teams.  This year has been a disaster with Murray (Nugtz), AD (Lakers), Kawhi (Clips), Harden and Kyrie (Nets), all going down.  At least the Suns and bucks were both teams you could put a bet on to win it all but without all those injuries they probably go down long time ago to lakers and Nets at full strength.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I have been on vacation in California and not watching the finals.  I'll probably start watching closer now.  I have been able to DVR all the Copa and Euro matches and watched them instead during vacation.  The injuries factored in so much that I do not believe we are seeing the best teams.  This year has been a disaster with Murray (Nugtz), AD (Lakers), Kawhi (Clips), Harden and Kyrie (Nets), all going down.  At least the Suns and bucks were both teams you could put a bet on to win it all but without all those injuries they probably go down long time ago to lakers and Nets at full strength.  

Yeah I've been meaning to watch but other things came up and I had to choose which to watch and the Finals just didn't win out. Too much going on. Last night it was USA soccer but it's been EURO and COPA both...baseball... NHL...Olympic qualifying....always something interesting that I mean to flip back and forth but end up mostly watching besides the Semi and NBA Finals. I know ratings on FS1 have been way up for the COPA tournament and finals.

Edited by dgambill

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I saw that but didn't post it since I get so much grief about it.

Hey man it’s alright to prefer the nature of the league back then and appreciate the different nuances to it then now. I think great players the top 10-15 in any generation would translate across different time period so I won’t say players were any better or worse but it certainly was a different style and it’s ok to like it more or less now. The thing about the video and analysis is it was subjective things…preferences…another person could say they prefer seeing Steph Curry, Lillard, and Trey Young chucking it from 30 feet etc…nothing wrong with either anaylsis and I don’t think either person is necessarily wrong for their opinion. I think he makes fine points…even if I appreciate both eras and maybe would have liked a little of each all in one.

Edited by dgambill

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Hey man it’s alright to prefer the nature of the league back then and appreciate the different nuances to it then now. I think great players the top 10-15 in any generation would translate across different time period so I won’t say players were any better or worse but it certainly was a different style and it’s ok to like it more or less now. The thing about the video and analysis is it was subjective things…preferences…another person could say they prefer seeing Steph Curry, Lillard, and Trey Young chucking it from 30 feet etc…nothing wrong with either anaylsis and I don’t think either person is necessarily wrong for their opinion. I think he makes fine points…even if I appreciate both eras and maybe would have liked a little of each all in one.

If you were my age you would appreciate the NBA of the 80's more than any other era.  Quite frankly the league was hot garbage in the 70's.  Not only were those players that came in during the 80's extremely talented they were the league's salvation.  Can you imagine watching the NBA Finals on tape delay?  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rico said:

If you were my age you would appreciate the NBA of the 80's more than any other era.  Quite frankly the league was hot garbage in the 70's.  Not only were those players that came in during the 80's extremely talented they were the league's salvation.  Can you imagine watching the NBA Finals on tape delay?  

I thought the early 70's was good.   Bucks, Knicks, Lakers, Celts, Bullets, Bulls and Warriors were all decent.  I really liked the Sloan/Love bulls teams.  Those teams and the pacers in ABA and Dr. J worked for me.   Once the Bulls fell short in 75 and the Celts won in 76 it was pretty bad until Bird/Magic. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I thought the early 70's was good.   Bucks, Knicks, Lakers, Celts, Bullets, Bulls and Warriors were all decent.  I really liked the Sloan/Love bulls teams.  Those teams and the pacers in ABA and Dr. J worked for me.   Once the Bulls fell short in 75 and the Celts won in 76 it was pretty bad until Bird/Magic. 

I don't even remember watching the NBA until the '77 finals.  It was all ABA in the house I grew up in.  The point was that nationally there wasn't much of a draw.  Bird and Magic made the NBA must see TV and the NBA became "cool."

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

The 78 finals between the Sonics and the Bullets was pretty good. All close games save one, and Dennis Johnson's coming out party...

• Like 1

The one thing about the NBA in the 70s...8 different teams won a championship during the decade, so there was parity...as opposed to the 80s where 2 teams dominated and only 4 teams won a title during the decade...

But I agree, the 80s was better basketball...

1 hour ago, rico said:

I don't even remember watching the NBA until the '77 finals.  It was all ABA in the house I grew up in.  The point was that nationally there wasn't much of a draw.  Bird and Magic made the NBA must see TV and the NBA became "cool."

I don't disagree with that but I think there was plenty good with the 70's that came before the TV revolution that had it been a decade later would have done just fine.  Big O on the bucks with some guy named Lew.  When the royals were in cincy that was going to be my team.  Big O and Jerry Lucas though that was late 60's. Then they moved.  I like watching Knick broadcast time to time just because of Walt Frazier.  The Wilt/West Laker team that won 33 straight. The Suns/Celts Finals in a David vs Goliath produced one of the best Finals games ever.   That ABA/NBA game.  Dr. J amazing people taking flight from the FT line for a dunk. 

• Like 1

My first legit basketball memories were the 1975 Warriors and of course the IU team in 1975.  I was young and it was my first exposure but I do recall it.  And I recall all NBA finals after that, progressively more.  The Bullets had some good teams in the second half of the 70s. 

I couldn’t agree more about the diversity being good.   Golden State, Boston, Portland, Seattle, Washington….good mix. 

The Celtics and Lakers tussles in the 1980s were just epic though.  It’s undeniable. 

In the 90’s the Bulls were something else and MJ carried the league but it wasn’t nearly as compelling of a product IMO.  

I am happy we have Milwaukee and Phoenix.  Fresh blood.  I don’t fall into the camp of feeling sorry for some Manhattan NBA executives who worry about small markets.  Sorry, if you want a national league, this is part of the deal.  Nobody is negative about market size when the Green Bay Packers or Colts won titles.  That’s because the product speaks for itself and isn’t reliant on market size.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

Watching this game 4. This is the worst finals basketball I can ever remember watching. Poor offense, shooting, passing, turnovers. It ain’t good defense either. This is just awful basketball. Hoping there is a redeeming 4th quarter because this is “ “TERRIBLE” to quote Charles Barkley.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Watching this game 4. This is the worst finals basketball I can ever remember watching. Poor offense, shooting, passing, turnovers. It ain’t good defense either. This is just awful basketball. Hoping there is a redeeming 4th quarter because this is “ “TERRIBLE” to quote Charles Barkley.

A couple things. First, these are not the two best teams in the NBA, these are the healthiest two teams in the playoffs. 

But as far as this game, it's not the best ever, but Devin Booker has been phenomenal. Offesively, he looks Kobe-esque tonight. He's hitting shots with excellent defense being played on him. 

The refs are also allowing a lot of physical play which has impacted some of the offense. Van Gundy was just talking about it, but some of the physical play the refs have allowed has caused some of the turnovers. 

I'm personally finding it to be an enjoyable game, but again these are not the two best teams. They just won the war of attrition. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

From what i see in looking at the box scores the only two players playing good are Booker and Middleton.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm personally finding it to be an enjoyable game, but again these are not the two best teams. They just won the war of attrition. 

I got a good laugh out of these two post. Completly opposite reactions to the same game lol. 😀 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

From what i see in looking at the box scores the only two players playing good are Booker and Middleton.

Giannis has been pretty good, the Suns entire defense is just designed to stop him so he hasn't been as forceful tonight.

• Like 1