NBA Thread

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Was listening to the game and tne national radio broadcasters were talking about how bad the officials has been.  I got home and that was the 6th foul on Booker but the Reds eg swallowed the whistle.

Yup, and Booker is going to win this down the stretch for Phoenix too. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wow, the refs just let Booker get away with another blatant foul in the open court right in front of the ref. 

Middleton should have got an And 1 there. 

Funny thing is that the broadcasters were talking about how Phoenix was getting screwed by the officials in the first 3 quarters

I admittedly only watched the fourth quarter but I thought it was a fun game minus the obnoxious officiating.

Booker tackled Holiday.  There’s no way you can ignore that.  

But there was some good stuff.  Booker is very impressive and he’s young.  Giannis had about the best defensive play in a moment like that that we will ever see.   Legitimately remarkable. Middleton is one of those good guys who made clutch plays. He dropped 40.  Connaughton hit a huge clutch 3.  

2-2 series.   

PS as bizarre as the officiating was, it’s still 10X better than the B1G.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Milwaukee has this. Phoenix choking that 9 point lead is going to do them in. Game 2 goes to Milwaukee if Phoenix shoots 40% from three instead of 50%.

I just don't see a way for Phoenix to stop Giannis and the Bucks. Outside of his first game back from what looked like a season ending knee injury, Giannis is having as good of a Finals as we have ever seen IMO. This was the first game he got real, serious help and he still had 26/14/8 with 3 steals and 2 blocks, one of which was an absolutely phenomenal play when his team needed it. Giannis may be the most physically dominating basketball player we have seen since Shaq in his prime. Enjoy watching him fellas. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think Milwaukee has this. Phoenix choking that 9 point lead is going to do them in. Game 2 goes to Milwaukee if Phoenix shoots 40% from three instead of 50%.

I just don't see a way for Phoenix to stop Giannis and the Bucks. Outside of his first game back from what looked like a season ending knee injury, Giannis is having as good of a Finals as we have ever seen IMO. This was the first game he got real, serious help and he still had 26/14/8 with 3 steals and 2 blocks, one of which was an absolutely phenomenal play when his team needed it. Giannis may be the most physically dominating basketball player we have seen since Shaq in his prime. Enjoy watching him fellas. 

But, but, but the Bucks aren't a championship caliber team...

Goes to show Cinderella is alive and well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I admittedly only watched the fourth quarter but I thought it was a fun game minus the obnoxious officiating.

Booker tackled Holiday.  There’s no way you can ignore that.  

But there was some good stuff.  Booker is very impressive and he’s young.  Giannis had about the best defensive play in a moment like that that we will ever see.   Legitimately remarkable. Middleton is one of those good guys who made clutch plays. He dropped 40.  Connaughton hit a huge clutch 3.  

2-2 series.   

PS as bizarre as the officiating was, it’s still 10X better than the B1G.

FB_IMG_1626348191956.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The game did get better as the urgency picked up in the 4th. I just felt it was really really sloppy for the most part. Agree with @BGleas these are just who is left standing...not the best two basketball teams. Giannis is amazingly athletic but I wouldn't say he is especially super skilled star...so a lot of times he looks clumsy and a bull in a china shop but still super super effective when he is around the rim. Booker is an amazing scorer. For someone I would say that is not really that athletic he is able to find space and knock down shots. I expect Milwaulkie will continue to focus their defense on slowing him and/or Chris Paul and letting the rest beat them if they can (they can if the others get hot). In every series the Bucks have progressively gotten better and tightened the noose if you will. They are like a python that just keeps tightening their grip and their defense and narrowing in on what works and win through attrition. I suspect this goes 7 but I think guys like Paul and Booker run out of gas.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

FB_IMG_1626348191956.jpg

Is this the best block in recent finals history?? To me it's more impressive than anything I've ever seen based on where he was defensively and how quickly he reacted and of course how high he got up to block it. Everyone talks about Lebron's chase down block but outside time and score I get it but the more impressive athletic display had to be Giannis.

• Like 1

Final point. Bucks need to win this championship. That Jrue Holiday contract extension. 4 years 160 million....they are going to regret that albatross in about a year. They paid him for what he was and not what he is and will be. I know he can explode for a game here and there and his defense is very good but as the third primary scorer....he is quickly coming up on his expiration date imo and it limits any improvements they could make with their roster.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Final point. Bucks need to win this championship. That Jrue Holiday contract extension. 4 years 160 million....they are going to regret that albatross in about a year. They paid him for what he was and not what he is and will be. I know he can explode for a game here and there and his defense is very good but as the third primary scorer....he is quickly coming up on his expiration date imo and it limits any improvements they could make with their roster.

I definitely don’t see this as the last year of the Bucks window. Any team that has Giannis in his prime is going to be a contender - I know I said it already but the guy is the most physically dominant player we have seen since Shaq. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I definitely don’t see this as the last year of the Bucks window. Any team that has Giannis in his prime is going to be a contender - I know I said it already but the guy is the most physically dominant player we have seen since Shaq. 

Maybe not window but to me the likeliest best chance to get it done. Sure they will be in the mix but I just don't think depending on Holiday over the next 4 years at that kind of commitment will help them in getting over the top. I think he is going to become more of an anchor than a sail.

30 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Im not a LeBron fan but a 6'8" 260 physical specimen that can and has played 5 positions, can and has guarded 5 positions, has been the most physically dominant guy since Shaq.  Going forward, it should be Giannis, he's special and has elevated his game after the disappointment last year.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Im not a LeBron fan but a 6'8" 260 physical specimen that can and has played 5 positions, can and has guarded 5 positions, has been the most physically dominant guy since Shaq.  Going forward, it should be Giannis, he's special and has elevated his game after the disappointment last year.  

Agree to disagree. I don't think Giannis is better than Lebron at all, just more physically dominant. Part of it comes down to playing style IMO. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree to disagree. I don't think Giannis is better than Lebron at all, just more physically dominant. Part of it comes down to playing style IMO. 

Fine with me because ya, i totally disagree and really until lately(past 2.5 years), only due to Lebron's age and Giannis emergence.  I have already said going forward, sure nod to Giannis.  

Here's another question.  Would we even be having this conversation if they weren't in the finals?  I guess physically dominant doesn't have to be best player on planet.  Im not sure there is much debate that LeBron has physically dominated the league for much of the last 2 decades.  

Did Holiday carry the ball after that steal and before Bookers foul wasn't called?  I know a lot of carry's, palming whatever get over looked but that looked really blatant. I thought the officiating was pretty bad in the 4th.  don't remember earlier bad calls.

I had a block in a Texas Instruments company league game.  Our team was up 1 and it was the last play of the game.  Not only was it the game winner, we went undefeated that season and won our only title in like 8 tries.  Usually we were 2nd thru 5th place team in 8 team leagues.  That was one of my 2 great moments during that 1989 summer season.

Does anyone remember the Tayshawn Prince block?  I expect most don't want to or was this not recent enough. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Is this the best block in recent finals history?? To me it's more impressive than anything I've ever seen based on where he was defensively and how quickly he reacted and of course how high he got up to block it. Everyone talks about Lebron's chase down block but outside time and score I get it but the more impressive athletic display had to be Giannis.

I don’t mean to minimize the LeBron block on Igudala, but in my opinion when I played the block from behind or chase down block like that on a fastbreak was always kind of the easiest block. 

It's pretty easy to time and typically the shooter doesn't really know you're coming or at least how close you are. 

That Giannis block was incredibly difficult. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Fine with me because ya, i totally disagree and really until lately(past 2.5 years), only due to Lebron's age and Giannis emergence.  I have already said going forward, sure nod to Giannis.  

Here's another question.  Would we even be having this conversation if they weren't in the finals?  I guess physically dominant doesn't have to be best player on planet.  Im not sure there is much debate that LeBron has physically dominated the league for much of the last 2 decades.  

I would still consider Giannis the most physically dominant player. I don't consider him the best player in the league and never have. 

I think you and I just mean different things, which is fine. I wouldn't call myself a Lebron fan, but I do think he is at a minimum one of the two best to ever play and still (or as recently as last season) is the best player in the league when he needs to be. I think he has physically dominanted as well as dominanted in other ways that Giannis can't, but I think Giannis happens to be more physically dominant in terms of ovwrhwleming you with strength and athleticism. Not that Lebron can't do that, he just has so many other ways he also chooses to attack you aside from that. 

• Like 1