NBA Thread

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Oh I know you and I are in agreement here. I really don't think LA has anything to offer Phoenix in a sign and trade to where they'd rather have that than test what they could get with that cap space. 

It would have to be a 3 team deal....like say involving Phoenix S/T Paul to Lakers, Lakers S/T Shroeder + Harrell to say Spurs and Spurs send say Derrick White or say Knicks take them and send back Immanuel Quickley and Kevin Knox or just give the Suns a large trade exception. Always a way....but you guys are so right I don't think it would happen. Not only personality wise but both Lebron and Paul are very very ball dominant. Lebron plays best with a point guard that can spot up and shoot or play off ball. I don't think Paul really fits their team all that well. Actually a point guard like Reggie Jackson of the Clippers or a lock down defender who has improved his shooting like Smart of Boston would benefit them more.

Well...since the draft is the next piece in the offseason puzzle anyone have any predictions or targets that they hope for their team?

Example...Pacers should sit at 13 with targets like Bouknight, Giddey, Mitchell, Waggoner, and Sengun.

Should trade back for veteran help and still have a pick say in the 20's like for Eric Gordon and #23 or for multiple picks like 23/24 from Rockets or 19/21 Knicks or #18 from Thunder and one of their numerous future firsts in 23?

Could they use it in a package for a player to help now? Say to Sacramento involving a player for Harrison Barnes or to Rockets for Christian Wood or Orlando for say Terrance Ross or some equivilant deal?

Anyways...and not just Pacers....where do you see them or your favorite team targeting in the draft?

I donn't know that the Spurs would trade White for Schroeder. I would not.  White is locked into a pretty decent contract and Schroeder is going to look for some money.  If Schroeder is even better it is not by much and Murray is the main PG there.  Schroeder would have to agree to a S&T.  Besides the money he probably wants a starting gig. Also, Harrell is likely to opt out and be a FA so unlikely the Lakers can S&T him.  He'd have to opt in to a 9 mil deal.  Now DeRozan is maybe likely to leave Spurs as a FA.  He could be a S&T candidate to send the Suns.  Unlike the Warriors who have a lot of assets, lakers don't seem to have much after Lebron and AD to make big deals. They are a contender as is so just getting the pieces to fit around those 2 should be enough. Spurs would probab;y rather go the FA route than take what LA has to offer after their 2 big stars.

Since Knicks mentioned, I think in past CP3 has been rumored to like to play in NY.  Maybe Thibs has them stable enough to be an attractive option again.  I think their cap situation is pretty good for being a major player in free Agency like the 2 LA teams were a couple years ago when Lebron and Kawhi were making their moves.   I also think Kawhi had some interest but just don't seeing him leaving LA.  Could NY work out a way to get those 2 and add them to Randle, Robinson and Barrett. As good as Randle was last year, they can even get out from under his 19 mil deal.  Only 4 mil is guaranteed.  

• Like 2

On twitter Evan Massey(been right sometimes, been wrong sometimes so who knows) but reports his sources have said pacers and warriors have held serious discussions surround pick selection #7 next Thursday.  Didn't release trade specifics.  My guess is pick # 7 and wiggins for pick #13, Turner and Lamb(financially this works).  Warriors then flip Wiseman elsewhere.  Or bring in Charlotte and ship Wiseman to Hornets.  Who knows. 

Also mentioned Indy has had discussions about trading out of 1st round entirely.  Not sure what they would be after by moving out of the first round entirely.

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Mavs have no draft picks.  I was hoping they could target Jericho SIMs as an undrafted FA but apparently he tore it up at draft camps.  IMO, he has unlimited defensive potential and incredible agility.  I'd like to see the Mavs make a move to get a 2nd rounder and draft him. He is a project offensively but improved his skills on that side in college. Still along way to go but maybe not as a rim runner.  

Maybe they can trade Brunson for a draft pick. I don't think they could get high enough to get Mitchell. I like Ayo from Illinois and Greg Brown.  I like Greg Brown more than Kai Jones. Whatever teams drafts him will have to get a handle on his maturity but he is far more physical for the NBA than Jones, IMO. Brown just seems undervalued a lot from a talent perspective and I'm expect it is because of his attitude. 

15 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

On twitter Evan Massey(been right sometimes, been wrong sometimes so who knows) but reports his sources have said pacers and warriors have held serious discussions surround pick selection #7 next Thursday.  Didn't release trade specifics.  Also mentioned Indy has had discussions about trading out of 1st round entirely.  

Not sure what they would be after by moving out of the first round entirely.

That kind of fits what Carlisle does.  There may be a player he desires that will require moving up. Wonder if it could be Mitchell who is 22 years old and would probably contribute immediately.  If he can't get that done he probably doesn't want to baby sit and develop the others and would prefer to trade for a vet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ATX_sig said:

That kind of fits what Carlisle does.  There may be a player he desires that will require moving up. Wonder if it could be Mitchell who is 22 years old and would probably contribute immediately.  If he can't get that done he probably doesn't want to baby sit and develop the others and would prefer to trade for a vet.

Mitchell/Krispit/Duarte can contribute day 1 and need little development to get on the floor.  Others like Johnon/Kai/Giddey needs more development than what Indy may want.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I donn't know that the Spurs would trade White for Schroeder. I would not.  White is locked into a pretty decent contract and Schroeder is going to look for some money.  If Schroeder is even better it is not by much and Murray is the main PG there.  Schroeder would have to agree to a S&T.  Besides the money he probably wants a starting gig. Also, Harrell is likely to opt out and be a FA so unlikely the Lakers can S&T him.  He'd have to opt in to a 9 mil deal.  Now DeRozan is maybe likely to leave Spurs as a FA.  He could be a S&T candidate to send the Suns.  Unlike the Warriors who have a lot of assets, lakers don't seem to have much after Lebron and AD to make big deals. They are a contender as is so just getting the pieces to fit around those 2 should be enough. Spurs would probab;y rather go the FA route than take what LA has to offer after their 2 big stars.

Since Knicks mentioned, I think in past CP3 has been rumored to like to play in NY.  Maybe Thibs has them stable enough to be an attractive option again.  I think their cap situation is pretty good for being a major player in free Agency like the 2 LA teams were a couple years ago when Lebron and Kawhi were making their moves.   I also think Kawhi had some interest but just don't seeing him leaving LA.  Could NY work out a way to get those 2 and add them to Randle, Robinson and Barrett. As good as Randle was last year, they can even get out from under his 19 mil deal.  Only 4 mil is guaranteed.  

I mostly was just throwing scenarios but the focus was that it would have to be a 3 team deal. A team taking Laker trash and offering back to Suns a trade exception or a player they might value. And yes I think it very unlikely for Paul to end up in LA. Just saying that is basically the only way it can happen. I'd say the only relative piece of value the Lakers have is Kuzma.

29 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

On twitter Evan Massey(been right sometimes, been wrong sometimes so who knows) but reports his sources have said pacers and warriors have held serious discussions surround pick selection #7 next Thursday.  Didn't release trade specifics.  My guess is pick # 7 and wiggins for pick #13, Turner and Lamb(financially this works).  Warriors then flip Wiseman elsewhere.  Or bring in Charlotte and ship Wiseman to Hornets.  Who knows. 

Also mentioned Indy has had discussions about trading out of 1st round entirely.  Not sure what they would be after by moving out of the first round entirely.

I think that is a good trade proposition. If I'm the Pacers I try to keep my pick at 13 though as I would want to package it with 7 to try to get in the top 5....maybe to Orlando. That or maybe package a player and #7 to Toronto for swap. I think that outside top 5...maybe 6 it really drops down a big tier. 7-15 is about equal caliber players. So keeping our 13th even if it means substituting say Warren for Lamb would be ok in my mind. The only issue that I think would hinder your trade scenario is that trading Wiseman for a star player usually means they need a max salary as part of any deal to make the money work...thus while not impossible it seems Wiggins will have to be included in a blockbuster deal. There are other trade packages you could put together with picks 7 and/or 14 and players on their team (say Poole/Paschall) to get a player of Myles Turner caliber and not include Wiggins or Wiseman. I just think Wiggins/Wiseman are going to be part of a bigger move....and the picks plus some salary filler will be part of some ancillary deal. Don't get me wrong I would like it for the Pacers for sure. Wiggins is a very very good defender (which we need)...and the 7th pick would great but I don't see that a big enough payoff for GS.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Mitchell/Krispit/Duarte can contribute day 1 and need little development to get on the floor.  Others like Johnon/Kai/Giddey needs more development than what Indy may want.  

Outside of salary why draft a player who might be able to contribute day 1 instead of just trading the pick altogether to upgrade your bench for a player that is already a proven contributor? What's the point of drafting a guy to replace Doug McDourmet when you can just re-sign the actual Doug McDourmet? To me you have to look at a guy with a higher ceiling then Duarte/Kispert at 13. There has to be more potential at that point in the draft. Late teens/early 20's yes...but I don't understand Pacers just looking for a rotational piece out of the draft that might contribute some (but still have rookie pains). If they want a player to contribute right away there are plenty you can trade for and much more proven to help right now. You could easily package some bench guys plus 13 for major bench upgrade if that is the desire. Mitchell might kind of fall in that category of instant contributor but you might also see higher upside in if you think his 3pt shooting wasn't a fluke this year and is more representative of him moving forward.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I mostly was just throwing scenarios but the focus was that it would have to be a 3 team deal. A team taking Laker trash and offering back to Suns a trade exception or a player they might value. And yes I think it very unlikely for Paul to end up in LA. Just saying that is basically the only way it can happen. I'd say the only relative piece of value the Lakers have is Kuzma.

I expected you were just throwing out the spurs as an example and meant to mention it when typing up the response.  Thanks for adding that in.  

• Like 1

Proves how little I understand about Nba…https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.grizzlybearblues.com/platform/amp/2021/7/26/22594911/memphis-grizzlies-trade-jonas-valanciunas-to-new-orleans-for-eric-bledsoe-steven-adams-draft-assets

They basically added like 40 million in salary to move up 7 picks in a draft where the difference between 10 and 17 is negligible. Not only that but Val was really solid this year. I just don’t get this move.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Proves how little I understand about Nba…https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.grizzlybearblues.com/platform/amp/2021/7/26/22594911/memphis-grizzlies-trade-jonas-valanciunas-to-new-orleans-for-eric-bledsoe-steven-adams-draft-assets

They basically added like 40 million in salary to move up 7 picks in a draft where the difference between 10 and 17 is negligible. Not only that but Val was really solid this year. I just don’t get this move.

Lottery picks always have value regardless of what people think of the draft. 

Great move by N.O too, JV is a great edition, more of a floor stretcher than Adams was, and they'll have room to either resign Lonzo Ball or even make a run at someone like Kyle Lowery who would be a great veteran to surround Zion with. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Great move by N.O too, JV is a great edition, more of a floor stretcher than Adams was, and they'll have room to either resign Lonzo Ball or even make a run at someone like Kyle Lowery who would be a great veteran to surround Zion with. 

It's a great move for both teams, IMO. 

Memphis got some great draft capital to go with a couple solid vets. They can also play JJJ at the 5 more now while sliding Anderson and Brooks to the 3 and 4 which are probably better fits for them. 

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

I mean I love it from New Orleans perspective...makes total sense. They really opened up a ton of salary....got a savy veteran center who is a double double machine and got off a ton of bad contracts. I still think they do some sign and trade deal with Ball. I don't think he is part of their long term plans. I could see Lowery being the CP effect for them but honestly I think a sign and trade with the Bulls make a lot of sense. Move him for Coby White and maybe Markkanen S/T. Makes sense for both sides. 

As for Memphis.. I mean I see they moved up in first and second round and they got a late first from LA next year but to take that salary dump...and not just that but for two guys that really struggled...clearly they don't want to compete for a playoff spot the next couple years...just don't like it from their side. They were a very very competitive team last year and they weren't even fully healthy. Don't like taking a step back but that's just me. Hard to even say they are pin pointing a certain player as like I said...6-12 are really up in the air and 13-20 aren't much different either. They are going to miss JV...that guy was a stud for them last year and really helped space the floor....Adams is a lane clogger of the worst kind and Bledsoe is washed. Guess we will see what crazy deal comes next....this certainly won't be the last!

Memphis really likes someone at 10, either Moody or Giddy from what I've read.  Both Spurs and Pacer like Moody at 12 and 13.  

J.V. is an upgrade over Adams and will play better along side Zion.  Bledsoe will either be waved or traded, a shame as I thought he could be great as a 6th man off of the bench behind Ja.  

Starters: Ja/Brooks/Winslow/Anderson/JJJ

Bench:  Tyus/Bane/Grayson/Moody/Adams

Solid IMO not including any FA moves

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Culver available for a 2nd rd.  Pacers own two second rd picks this year.  Ship one to em.  A fresh start would be good for the former #6 pick.  Can improve his shooting technique with one of the newly joined Pacers assistants.  Would be great off of the bench.  

I think that’s a no brainier for the Pacers. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Culver available for a 2nd rd.  Pacers own two second rd picks this year.  Ship one to em.  A fresh start would be good for the former #6 pick.  Can improve his shooting technique with one of the newly joined Pacers assistants.  Would be great off of the bench.  

Had major ankle surgery in May and shooting 26% from 3 and 60% from the foul line.....ehhh I think I would pass. You can likely get him in free agency for nothing after next year...if he even plays much. Couldn't really break into the Wolves lineup..not sure what he would add to us. We need 3pt shooting. I heard the Wolves were targeting Doug McDourmet...maybe we could do a sign & trade for Beasley? I liked Culver's intensity and effort in college but he was not a very refined product. I think he was highly overvalued at 6 when he came out. I like low risk high reward moves but I'm not paying 6 million to take on a guy that will need serious recovery time and even then not likely break into our rotation just for bird rights or something.

• Like 1

I don't know.  I really like Adams to the Griz.  He'll set crushing picks for Morant and IMO, is far more agile and physical on the defensive side of the ball the ball than V.  IMO, Morant won't get knocked to the ground with Adams around. With Zion, Adams was probably tasked with getting out of way offensively.  now he can go back to what he did in OKC. 

V can at least shoot some perimeter shots and allow zion to play more in the paint and not cause spacing issues.  IMO, NO is heading for a top contender for the 1st pick in the draft for 2022 and V will be back on the market before the trade deadline. He has an expiring deal so will be a nice pickup for a playoff contender. 

Barring any trades, here is my want list for tonight via draft:

1.) Moody - Don't think he'll fall to 13, however, if he does his ceiling is very high.  3&D guy that can contribute off the bench with starter potential as early as year 2.  Can guard multiple positions at 6'9".    

2.) Mitchell - Age doesn't bother me, he makes an impact now with his aggressive defense and has improved his shooting.  A little undersized as a shooting guard next to McConnell off of bench assuming TJ is brought back but can contribute right away and be a defense wrecker.  

3.) Giddy - Can see the court better than anyone currently on the Pacers roster imo.  Needs to improve defense and shooting but has one of the higher ceilings of anyone in the draft.

4.)   Duarte - Don't care about age, safe pick given his versatility.  Can contribute right away with starter potential.  Ceiling a bit lower than anyone above, however, has one of the higher floors.  

15 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Barring any trades, here is my want list for tonight via draft:

1.) Moody - Don't think he'll fall to 13, however, if he does his ceiling is very high.  3&D guy that can contribute off the bench with starter potential as early as year 2.  Can guard multiple positions at 6'9".    

2.) Mitchell - Age doesn't bother me, he makes an impact now with his aggressive defense and has improved his shooting.  A little undersized as a shooting guard next to McConnell off of bench assuming TJ is brought back but can contribute right away and be a defense wrecker.  

3.) Giddy - Can see the court better than anyone currently on the Pacers roster imo.  Needs to improve defense and shooting but has one of the higher ceilings of anyone in the draft.

4.)   Duarte - Don't care about age, safe pick given his versatility.  Can contribute right away with starter potential.  Ceiling a bit lower than anyone above, however, has one of the higher floors.  

Not that his opinion is the end all/be all, but on ESPN's draft preview show last night Jay Bilas said he has Mitchell in his top 5 of this draft. 

Will be interesting to see where he lands given his size. Reminds a bit of Marcus Smart. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not that his opinion is the end all/be all, but on ESPN's draft preview show last night Jay Bilas said he has Mitchell in his top 5 of this draft. 

Will be interesting to see where he lands given his size. Reminds a bit of Marcus Smart. 

agree.  Think he could be a Marcus Smart.  Maybe a little high for top 10 to get a Smart type of guy, however, a overall good pick.  He also has Jalen Johnson at 9.  Not sure about that one