NBA Thread

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So back to the Westbrook to LA trade. Why do the rest of the league continue to help the Lakers by giving them star players for their trash??? It's beyond a conspiracy theory now...honestly there is something going on here...

It's frustrating, though I'm not sure this works so great for LA. Westbrook is a ball dominant guard that can't shoot. LeBron is a ball dominant player who likes to facilitate but also can struggle to shoot. 

Westbrook can't be a spotup player, but is LeBron going to let Westbrook dominate the ball and jack up shots?

They have three supremely talented pieces, but I think how they fit together remains to be seen and the depth around them is pretty weak (with a long way to go to add pieces) right now. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So back to the Westbrook to LA trade. Why do the rest of the league continue to help the Lakers by giving them star players for their trash??? It's beyond a conspiracy theory now...honestly there is something going on here...

Don't know how the Lakers will put a roster together.  They only have 4 under contract and the big three makes like 115 mil this year.  I think that total is over the salary cap

Just now, dwtaylor1055 said:

luxury tax doesn't mean anything to the Lakers.  They'll pay whatever is needed to win 

They're pretty boxed in. They're just able to use whatever exceptions they have (probably mid-level which they might be able to split in two) and then veteran minimum guys. 

The one wildcard they have is Dennis Schroeder. He's a free agent, but LA holds his bird rights, so for example they could do a sign and trade with Schroeder for someone like Buddy Heild. I don't know why the Kings would ever do that, but it's one of the scenarios being thrown out there. 

So their next best move if fooling some team into trading them a valuable piece in exchange for Schroeder. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

They're pretty boxed in. They're just able to use whatever exceptions they have (probably mid-level which they might be able to split in two) and then veteran minimum guys. 

The one wildcard they have is Dennis Schroeder. He's a free agent, but LA holds his bird rights, so for example they could do a sign and trade with Schroeder for someone like Buddy Heild. I don't know why the Kings would ever do that, but it's one of the scenarios being thrown out there. 

So their next best move if fooling some team into trading them a valuable piece in exchange for Schroeder. 

Hmmm.  And here I thought Schroder was a valuable piece of the Lakers?

1 minute ago, rico said:

Hmmm.  And here I thought Schroder was a valuable piece of the Lakers?

Not really with Westbrook in the fold at PG. They need shooters and 3 & D wings to surround these guys with and Schroeder is the only remotely valuable piece they have to acquire that, unless the veteran minimum market is kind to them (which i suspect it will be).

But even then, Schroeder isn't going to want to be behind a guy who plays a ton of minutes like Westbrook. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not really with Westbrook in the fold at PG. They need shooters and 3 & D wings to surround these guys with and Schroeder is the only remotely valuable piece they have to acquire that, unless the veteran minimum market is kind to them (which i suspect it will be).

But even then, Schroeder isn't going to want to be behind a guy who plays a ton of minutes like Westbrook. 

Could they do a sign and trade with the Knicks for a trade exception?? I know the Knicks have been looking to add more offensive fire power. As is they will sign vet minimums and fill roster out with un drafted rookies...then when the buy out market comes around add someone then on a minimum contract. I heard Demar Derozan was willing to take less money to join them...not sure how much that means though. I'm sure the league will force a Schroader for Heild trade through the Kings....I mean help facilitate.

Edited by dgambill

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

Could they do a sign and trade with the Knicks for a trade exception?? I know the Knicks have been looking to add more offensive fire power. As is they will sign vet minimums and fill roster out with un drafted rookies...then when the buy out market comes around add someone then on a minimum contract. I heard Demar Derozan was willing to take less money to join them...not sure how much that means though. I'm sure the league will force a Schroader for Heild trade through the Kings....I mean help facilitate.

I believe they could do a sign and trade for a trade exception. From what I understand a team qualifies for a trade exception when they are over the cap and their player who is an unrestricted free agent (Schroder is unrestricted) signs with a team that is below the salary cap (I believe the Knicks are below the cap). 

The Lakers would have to convince the Knicks to do a sign and trade as opposed to signing Schroder outright, and the Knicks would have to send something tangible to the Lakers in the deal (could simply be a 2nd round pick). 

For a real case scenario, last offseason the Celtics were over the cap and Hayward was an unrestricted free agent. Charlotte had the cap space to sign him outright, but then Danny Ainge convinced Charlotte to do a sign and trade (giving Charlotte 2 future 2nd round picks in exchange for agreeing to do the deal). Charlotte sent a 2nd round pick back to Boston to complete the deal, thus creating a 1-year trade exception in for Boston in the amount of Hayward's first year salary with Charlotte ($28M). The exception then has to be used within 12 months. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Charlotte sent a 2nd round pick back to Boston to complete the deal, thus creating a 1-year trade exception in for Boston in the amount of Hayward's first year salary with Charlotte ($28M). The exception then has to be used within 12 months.

I run my personal life this way.

Except instead of $28 million, it's a one dollar coupon at the grocery store.

Instead of 12 months, I have to use it in 10 days.

Otherwise, totally the same. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Madison22 said:

I run my personal life this way.

Except instead of $28 million, it's a one dollar coupon at the grocery store.

Instead of 12 months, I have to use it in 10 days.

Otherwise, totally the same. 

I get it. I had a $20 gift card that expired unused after 12 months and my wife threatened to fire the “general manager”

• Haha 1

Wondering about Brad Stevens a bit? Sounds like he traded Tristan Thompson to Atlanta for Kris Dunn and Bruno Fernando. 

Not horrible there, the Celtics had to move Thompson. What makes it bad is that apparently Atlanta then flipped Thompson to Sacramento for Delon Wright. 

Why didn't the Celtics just trade with Sacramento? Wright would have been a great addition to the C's, he's a veteran guard that can handle the ball, score off the bench and is a good perimeter defender. 

I haven't dug into, so maybe I'm missing something? 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wondering about Brad Stevens a bit? Sounds like he traded Tristan Thompson to Atlanta for Kris Dunn and Bruno Fernando. 

Not horrible there, the Celtics had to move Thompson. What makes it bad is that apparently Atlanta then flipped Thompson to Sacramento for Delon Wright. 

Why didn't the Celtics just trade with Sacramento? Wright would have been a great addition to the C's, he's a veteran guard that can handle the ball, score off the bench and is a good perimeter defender. 

Sorry to quote myself, but did some more reading and sounds like the Boston media and fans are digging this. 

I hadn't looked into the financial side before my initial post. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

They are finalizing deal for s/t with Dallas for Josh Richardson….so obviously it was to open up salary for Richardson because Fournier probably will cost too much.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They are finalizing deal for s/t with Dallas for Josh Richardson….so obviously it was to open up salary for Richardson because Fournier probably will cost too much.

Just saw that. Not an upgrade over Fournier, but Richardson is in the last year of his deal and much more cost effective. 

Looks like with Dunn and Richardson, and going after a point guard in free agency the Celtics are looking to add more veteran depth and versatilty around Tatum and Brown. 

I don't think we're more talented yet, but we're deeper and more versatile. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just saw that. Not an upgrade over Fournier, but Richardson is in the last year of his deal and much more cost effective. 

Looks like with Dunn and Richardson, and going after a point guard in free agency the Celtics are looking to add more veteran depth and versatilty around Tatum and Brown. 

I don't think we're more talented yet, but we're deeper and more versatile. 

Yeah I don’t think you are there yet. Still a big piece away behind Mil, Brook, Sixers…but I think you are making moves to set yourself up next offseason to have room for another big name player. Beal would be a perfect fit if he chose to walk.

Edited by dgambill